Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

In CK2 I think the later 1080something bookmark is actually the top secret start date everyone should use. Byzantium is no longer a blob, the HRE is out of Italy and William the Conquerer is actually ruling in England and isn't about to be bumped out by those uppity Anglo Saxons anytime soon.

Yeah I'm surprised that people don't play CK2 out of the earliest bookmarks much, I play all over the place in that one. I think I only used the default 1066 one on my very first game.

EU4 on the other hand I've only done like twice. It really is the chicken/egg thing though- I've felt like playing later a whole bunch of times so I could get more established Spanish and Ottomans etc, but the 1444 date has had so much more care put into it which turns me off from using any of the others. Having to rejig ideas, catch up on tech, the whole world being sparse on buildings and development etc since the AI does all that pretty actively. It makes things feel a lot more dead.

Even then though it's meant to be a pretty huge amount of work to maintain the bookmarks? I'll be sad to see them go but I would definitely rather see the dev time put into other things personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

not set in stone but it sounds pretty likely to me. I don't know why everyone here seems to think it won't be out until the end of the year.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Development and buildings in EU4 are an abstraction that makes some sense grounded in reality, whereas "adjacency bonus" build grids feel really gamey.

tooterfish posted:

it's not like they're going to change it at this stage.

Not before release, but if it turns out to be super unpopular they might change it at some point down the line. The whole building system in EU4 got overhauled fairly recently.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Assuming it works like EU4, the portraits are gonna be fixed sizes, they don't scale up with your resolution. I guess the leaders are a bit bigger, but I think for most of the generals in HOI4 they're still pretty tiny? You probably don't need very high res pictures.

I tried my hand at doing some advisor portraits for EU4 and they're just 77x77, it's more like pixel art than anything else really :goleft:

e: maybe it wouldn't be if I drew at a normal resolution and scaled it down like a sane person, I guess

Koramei fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Feb 18, 2016

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
It's always gonna look at odds with the other portraits since it's a photo rather than a drawing (not to mention monocolour), cropping them so it isn't just their face wouldn't be that weird relatively I don't think.

Do we know roughly how many portraits there are per faction, by the way? Obviously for USA/Germany/Japan/UK/France/USSR there are gonna be way more, but for a generic country?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Dibujante posted:

I've wanted this mechanic for Switzerland in EU4 for a while. It would be pretty fun for it to be a federation of cantons that essentially can't expand due to bickering and rotating presidency but which is also very hard to attack due to each canton being surprisingly powerful when mobilized.

Now you mention it, I'm suddenly excited for all the features from Stellaris that'll get back-ported into EU4. They did a bunch of that for CK2 didn't they?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
my bets are still on may or june

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
me included :geno:

don't really see why Paradox doesn't just include the full game in it at this point, it's old enough it couldn't be costing them much money anyway

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Fututor Magnus posted:

It's sad that the other game based on the period and similar gameplay, Samurai Total War, was even worse in this regard.

:eyepop:

Shogun 2 Total War is one of the best strategy games ever made, hope this helps

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The new HOI4 dev diary is on China. I was a little concerned when Podcat said they weren't getting a national focus tree, but it looks like they're still getting some attention, so that's good.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The new thing is probably the secret project Wiz was moved on to.

Come onnnnnn Victoria 3.

he won't have even started working on it when the event thing starts so i think this is somewhat unlikely

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Tendronai posted:

Page not found and the video went private, RIP.

there's a thread on the Stellaris forums were Johan says it was a few days early

some people are posting some stuff from it though:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
gently caress i want this game so much

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
i can't watch the stream right now, is stellaris releasing on june 6th then? or something different?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Psychotic Weasel posted:

edit:
jesus, what is the point of this game? To ruin my mouse or cause my carpal tunnel to manifest itself years sooner?

yeah I actually like cookie clicker but this one is literally just.. you press a single button. and occasionally you click things on the screen too.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
There's a lot more to it than the random traits though- their techs will diverge in unpredictable ways, their pops will align differently over time, their ethoses will be different from yours. I agree it won't be a novel thing forever, but I also don't really think other 4x games do the whole "distinciveness" any better than that anyway.

And I know a bunch of us have been a bit critical of Paradox's DLC model lately, but if there's one thing it's very good for it's adding new poo poo to spice things up.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Chief Savage Man posted:

I think even just having it be our real world map adds a lot of beneficial context, something I wonder about in Stellaris because how will the map have character when there's nothing like a sea to represent a major geographic barrier. Hopefully the galaxies have some geography to them, like perhaps a very strong empire makes one of the spiral arms into a fortress and you have to use some kind of choke point to get in, but if it's just a big network of stars that all have a number of connections to each other, I think it'd be about as exciting as playing a version of EU4 with no oceans.

Yeah I hope there are nebulas and black holes and whatever that make things more interesting.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
yes, artists are a thing you usually have when making games

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Oh yeah, why is Hitler's face covered in shadow now? Is that just for certain versions (like the German one?) or is that how it's always gonna be? It's kinda jarring and if anything draws more attention to him than if it was just another portrait in the same style as the others, I think.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
if thats actually the case then i take back my complaint

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Yeah they're all wearing massive coats and stuff, how can you even tell that they're skinny? Paradox's artists have gotten way better at unit modeling, look at the base EU4 units compared to the unit packs they're doing today, it's like night and day. Some of the animations are a bit janky in HOI4 though, the routing one especially was a bit :laugh:

Fintilgin posted:

Who the hell plays zoomed in enough to see 3d unit models?

lots of people

There's no way they're not gonna do lots of unit packs for this game, I'm sure variety will get patched up and then some before too long. And in general I think HOI4 is the best looking by far of Paradox's games, the map is super crisp and the lighting effects are great.

the ships sailing through land bothered me a bit in that last WWW though. I guess there's no reasonable way to fix it but there was one that kept cruising straight through Shandong in China and it was insanely distracting.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 27, 2016

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
i hope they have nato counters for stellaris

e: and rome 2, when that comes out

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Zotix posted:

Haven't played Eu4 since CoP. Going to reinstall tonight. Which expansions should I get and any recommendations on a starting country?

Common Sense, Art of War, maybe Cossacks but probably not for your first game. Wait until April 5th though, the next expansion is coming out then so the whole DLC catalogue will probably be on sale, at which point it's pretty much all worth picking up.

They have a few highlighted countries as recommended starts when you load in, if you've played before even if it hasn't been a while any of those will probably be fine. If you literally remember nothing though, then Portugal. Ally Spain, get exploration ideas and just forget about Europe while you go colonial.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Ofaloaf posted:

That actually sounds like a pretty good way to be more forthright with the issue, without letting anyone press a 'genocide' button while they have Osprey Publishing's Men-at-Arms 401- The Waffen SS (1) and a tissue box at hand.

Very weird if they have it for Nanking but not for the Holocaust etc though.

e: personally I have really mixed feelings about trying to remove the holocaust from the WW2 game so we get a Cleaner Toy Soldiers Experience. I understand it's a messy subject and censorship etc so I can't exactly fault Paradox for their stance, but I think trying to claim the moral high ground over the (alleged) literal Nazis on the Paradox forums you all keep talking about who will make all these horrible mods while essentially whitewashing an inseparable part of the war is kinda weird.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 8, 2016

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Empress Theonora posted:

Axis playthroughs should end with receiving a death sentence at the Nuremberg trials imho.

in real life

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
EU4 and Vicky have those awful things pretty prominently displayed, and they're divorced enough from living memory that it isn't a touchy subject.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
well, since something awful forums user gantolandon asked

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I wouldn't mind late fabricating claims as an option, but by default it would screw over non-European teams so much. Even aside from how long it'd take them to unlock it they just get so many fewer scripted missions for conquest.

If they tie it as a diplo action to tech 1 it'll be really easy to mod which would be nice though.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I'm gonna quote this here because I know some people that play EU4 read this thread and not the EU4 one and I spent forever on this:

Koramei posted:

I posted about this a while ago but finally finished it, just in time for Stellaris to take everyone's interest away from EU4: East Asian Advisor Portraits

hand painted by yours truly. it took about 30 hours, I've gained a lot of respect for Paradox's artists over the course of working on this lol, even though I'm sure they work faster than me.

ironman compatible, doesn't overwrite the base portraits etc etc please subscribe so I feel validated and not like I wasted an enormous amount of time

e: thanks Paradox devs by the way for making it super easy to tie these to the Asian graphics. I thought I'd have to have them overwrite the Euro portraits and toggle it on/off whenever I played an Asian team but it was pretty effortless to get it to work great :)

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
thanks guys!

and I plan to be one of those people Baronjutter, so hopefully there'll be at least one.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Conclave is insanely divisive, I dunno if I would say it's necessary. And did they ever fix the thing everyone was complaining about from Way of Life? Some of the choices in that were meant to be broken I thought.

From my perspective it's a game where you're staring at portraits all day so the portrait packs are borderline necessary, they add an enormous amount of variety and it really makes the world feel bigger when not everyone outside of Europe looks Arab. The unit packs are a similar deal but if you're one of those players who just plays zoomed out all the time I can understand them not being so appealing.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
e:^ I wouldn't go that far at all. And the DLC model is to patch half the new content in for free years after the game launched, I don't understand why people ceaselessly bitch about it when it's one of/ the best there is for any game company out there. EU4/CK2 (and HOI4) will all have had the benefits of being part of a franchise and getting to build on what was already there- Stellaris is the first game in a series. That's why I think it feels lighter than usual.

It's not the bugs, it's the lack of content I think. There's no drive to actually engage on the galactic stage in the midgame other than for the sake of killing people. In other Paradox games you have things like missions or trade or even the goal of building up to your de jure empire or something. In Stellaris every goal is self imposed.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 15, 2016

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
In EU4 you can pretty much get by on just 1. keep parity or ahead in tech 2. hire a general and 3. don't attack into mountains. Then add some cannons once you're past 1600 or so. It's a lot more involved if you're fighting wars against your peers but then the same is true of CK2, and you can usually avoid those wars if you try.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
e^: :argh:

stream starting now https://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Huh I thought Paradox said they wouldn't do season pass type deals. And $50 for the two expansions? I hope that includes the content packs too.

details all up on Steam:

quote:

Heavy Cruiser Pack:
Seven heavy cruisers available for both Axis and Allies - Exeter, Prinz Eugen and Mogami amongst others.
Soviet Tank Pack:
Eight tanks for when playing as Soviet, ranging from light all the way up to Super Heavy.
US Tank Pack:
Eight tanks for when playing as USA, ranging from light all the way up to Super Heavy.
British Tank Pack:
Eight tanks for when playing as United Kingdom, ranging from light all the way up to Super Heavy.
Wallpaper:
Wallpapers made with art from the game.
Field Marshal Forum Icon:
A icon that can be used on Paradox own forum.
German Tank Pack:
Eight tanks for when playing as Germany, ranging from light all the way up to Super Heavy.
French Tank Pack:
Eight tanks for when playing as Soviet, ranging from light all the way up to Super Heavy.
Unique portraits from the game to use as avatars on Paradox Forum.
Expansion Pass #1:
Includes the first 2 expansion and it’s related content, to an estimated value of $49.99.

Have to say it's much more enticing than the Stellaris preorder bonuses, I'm definitely getting the $50 at least and I might relent and get the $90 one :whitewater: but then art books are something I actually appreciate.

Can we get any details, even super vague ones, about what the expansions are gonna be?

Koramei fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 17, 2016

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
It's gotta be purely cosmetic. And to be fair there'll probably also be half a zillion Improved German Armor Models mods about 3 weeks after the game launches.

e: also aside from China, Poland seems like one of the most relevant countries to include, who else would you guys suggest?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
There's another 25% discount on GMG that works for all editions: IRON25

Field marshal edition for $67.50 means you basically get one of the future DLCs for free, definitely gonna go with that now.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
just open the console and type in stability 1 after they fire if they bother you that much

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
digital

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
there's some discussion here by Johan and BjornB about the expansion pass they added in the HOI4 preorder that's kinda interesting: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/why-did-pdx-decide-to-sell-expansion-passes.933506/&sdpDevPosts=1

importantly: they're probably gonna be doing these for every game going forward

I'm not opposed to it at all and if the savings are significant enough (with the GMG voucher you basically get one of the DLCs for free with the field marshal edition) I'll probably be getting them from here on out, but if this is gonna be a thing in the future, I really hope Paradox will start releasing a roadmap, even a vague one, for DLC that'd be included in it. I get that part of the point of these things is that I'm showing I trust the devs, but still, am I paying for something like Art of War or Common Sense, or is it gonna be more like $25 of Hitler portraits as him dressed up in various animal suits?

I mean obviously Paradox isn't gonna screw us like that, but what about stuff more along the lines of Sunset Invasion? Personally I'd be totally down with that, but for plenty of people if one of their expansion pass slots is taken up with a fantasy scenario they're gonna flip their loving poo poo. Will it just mean the death of fantasy DLC coming out in the future?

I know they wanna back away from giving firm details (to stop people bitching about stuff like the Diet in EU4 estates) and I appreciate Paradox's transparency with the dev diaries, but they have these expansions planned way in advance. Just something like "for this HOI4 pass, the first DLC will be about China, the second will be about fleshing out straights". It'd definitely make it a lot easier to make a decision on whether to get it or not.