Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Some OP comments:

I don't think there's a NATO counter DLC in the works for HoI4. You have the option of using NATO symbols along with the units if you want them instead of our default icons, but there's no "Just counters, no models" option. Unless I've just missed :thejoke:

Stellaris isn't really a Moo spiritual successor, other than hopefully being a good space empire making game. Moo2 is a classic and certainly had some influence, but we're not trying to re-create it.

I guess you might be waiting for it to be released, but remember there's a big rework of the Random New World generator in progress, so CoP should be more appealing to use/buy when it's done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I'm all about playing the worst space-dicks, so I support these ideas.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Though the new system which I can't remember the name of which allows for various paths to take for your nation

National focuses.

And yeah, alt history stuff is still something we are interested in, although I'm not sure about alt history scenarios. They are cool if done well, but on the other hand it can be a lot of content and it's an area where mod teams can do as well or better.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Pharnakes posted:

EU IV: Common sense. Steam reviews are terrible, but the op says to get it but is only 1 line. Has it been patched into a good addition?

It was never bad, people just got mad about buildings changing.

Dibujante posted:

As long as national focuses are moddable (which I think is a safe assumption?) it should be super easy for mod teams to knock out alt-hist scenarios.

Yup, very moddable.

Also, EU's 1.14 patch is looking pretty good, the mapmodes UI change is small fries. Maybe this this summary thread even if you hate the forum:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/what-do-we-know-about-1-14.884433/

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Oct 2, 2015

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
New Stellaris DD, on Galaxy Generation:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-3-galaxy-generation.885267/

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
It's been a while, but isn't the mil score from armies based on goods received by your forces, not the actual funding slider? So yeah, normally that's the same thing, but if you are too far down the buying order that you can't get your military goods anyway then the slider will have no effect.
E: But Austria should be fine in that regard :confused:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
We've got a few job openings at the moment besides that one, including a QA slot:
http://career.paradoxplaza.com/jobs

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Are we? We do have hoodies though.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Kavak posted:

Yes, please do templates. Hitting mobilize and having, say, 15000-man divisions with one artillery brigade show up where I want them several months later is much better than the swarms of unmanageable conscripts Vicky II has.

I wanted to add mobilization plans in the V2 expansions we did, but it was too difficult at the time and rally points was the best we could do :(

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Answering some stuff:
Demos not being able to DoW Demos is a moddable rule.
Nations can only be in one faction.
Groogy is a saint, gently caress you guys.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
You can have relations, like NAPs, with non-faction nations yes. But for the purposes of HoI4 alliance = faction. You Are not limited to the starting 3 factions either, if you want to make an Italian-Polish faction to fight Germany or something, you can do that (or at least try, the other nation might say no).

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
The election system is pretty modable too, you can add new ideologies etc. A democracy which votes in a communist party ricks getting overthrown in the base game, but a mod could remove that or make it more likely as they want. I'm not sure if communist regimes can have elections, in theory I think so, but I have not tried it myself.

Non-fascist dictatorships aren't anything special, I'm afraid they are basically what the neutral ideology is for. They can declare war and do things a lot earlier than democracies, but not as soon as the actual fascists.

And sure, have a USA-MEX faction and fight Japan using only pure American-bred freedom if you like.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Not sure, was still a bit undecided when I moved. You can disband factions though, so worst case JAP ends their Co-prosperity sphere and joins Axis.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Empress Theonora posted:

q. what kind of support will stellaris provide for F U L L C O M M U N I S M

Pretty sure you can go full commie in space. I only play space-nazis though so I haven't really checked :shrug:

RabidWeasel posted:

The reason that they traditionally suck is that they come at it way too hard from a simulationist perspective, where really all you need is ways to make interesting decisions about their capabilities in combat. I always liked the designer from SMAC since it was literally just choosing your attack/defense/movement and a couple of special abilities for each unit, I don't see why anything substantially more complex than that is needed for a game with automated combat.

You gotta wait for the ship design DD, but I think you will be fairly happy.

vyelkin posted:

I want a space game that is basically 90% ship design. Rule The Waves in space. All you do is design ships and smash them against alien ships. No politics, no colonization, no economy, no planet management. That can all happen in the background as your race expands but you are the grand admiral and it's your job to keep humanity safe against the Bug Menace by designing the biggest baddest ships that just so happen to be built by your nephew's shipyard even though your nephew doesn't know how to connect a warp drive to an engineering section or w/e.

Well that's not Stellaris, but I would also play the poo poo out of that game.

Pharnakes posted:

NWS RTW is the only ship design screen I have ever been really comfortable with, even though it looks like it was from 1995. Adapt it a little for space combat (but not too much because WW1 in space would be more interesting than WW2) and slap on some fancy GUI and call it a day. Actually after that ring up the NWS guys and hire them to make a naval/air game spanning the whole 20th century.

I would love if we did. RTW is great and I have been trying to interest people around the office. So far our ex DLC-Empress and now Cities Skylines producer has bought it and is cursing me for her lost productivity - she is a huge navy sperg. Other than that, the HoI4 AI programmer seemed pretty interested but hasn't bought it yet as far as I know.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Enjoy posted:

The big revolutionary advance of the HMS Dreadnaught was to carry all big guns in a line so they could all be brought to bear whichever side the enemy was on. (Also steam turbines)

Nah, Dreadnought had some wing turrets which could only fire to one side:

All centerline turret designs came later, with the Orion class super-dreadnoughts.

The BB PleasingFungus posted has the "cross-firing enabled" box checked though, indicating that its wing turrets can be fired across its deck, although with a fairly limited field of fire on the "wrong" side.

In RTW, you unlock the ability to have more centerline turrets, or cross-firing turrets at higher tech levels, so depending on how the semi-random research works out you have a transition period from Bs to BBs where you might have to accept turrets that can only fire to one side or cross-firing turrets for a while before you can design all centerline bad boys.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Oct 20, 2015

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
It works against docks too! :eng101:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Dibujante posted:

Firaxis' attitude towards a game's post-release life simply hasn't changed since civ 4, whereas the rest of the industry (especially EU4) has moved on a lot.

I met some Firaxis people in a bar after Gamescon a last year. I wanted to ask them about their post-release stuff in general, but they left while I was still complaining about XCOM bugs/patch support :(

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Gort posted:

XCOM's one of their less buggy games though. Compared to Beyond Earth it's a towering masterpiece of flawless game design.

BE wasn't out then, came out a month or 2 after.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
It's not entirely complete, the air branch is offscreen to the right :negative:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Well its sounds like NFs have a 'historical' tag to them, and the player can opt between pure historical (historical NFs always chosen) or 'open' where AI choices are weighted towards historical but they can diverge.

Yup. Also, just because you decide to take France or whoever and flip to fascist doesn't mean things will necessarily go smoothly. Look at Spain, for example...

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

Will HoI4 have Vicky-style flags for each ideology?

Yes.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
There's like 6 difference human cultures you can choose from or randomly meet. Maybe the Asians rule space, maybe you run into space-USSR, who knows?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
^^^ I whole-heartedly agree!

Demiurge4 posted:

Can multiple nations exist on the same planet?

Nope, one planet one race. I think in theory you could make multiple races start in the same system, like maybe we banished the French to Uranus, but a planet can only have a single owner.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That's Asian and Russian confirmed as human cultures. I assume the rest are American, Swedish, African, and I guess Greco-Roman?

Please! Obviously Greek and Roman will be separate cultures to properly simulate the Eastern and Western space empires!

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 26, 2015

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Alchenar posted:

I know it isn't the focus of the game, but I'm reading a book on the 1870 war now and I think it's a shame that V2 never really graps that 'mobilisation wins wars' paradigm that gripped warfare from 1860 up to 1914. There's so much potential in fleshing that concept out and linking it to the Crisis system to bring so much more tension to the game.

We wanted to do more with it, but HoD did change it so you didn't mobilise all in one lump, instead troops mobile over time with the speed based on your rail infra levels.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Groogy posted:

No, just no. The Roman Empire had its moment, just let it die and rest in peace.

I'm going to make Space-Rome in the next MP game :)

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Agean90 posted:

what, no majestic hitler portrait on the back wall?

HR vetoed all the Hitler quotes I suggested for the walls :sigh:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
There's a sale on our webstore for Halloween, please be sure to buy a CK2 hipflask for your day-drinking:
https://www.paradoxplaza.com/games/featured-deals?___store=eu&mode=small

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Noo, not that thread, I just read it :(

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Tomn posted:

It's a bad thread, but there is some good that came out of it.

OP of terrible thread posted:

Yes, I completely support the Crimean incorporation into Russia. It's part of the right to self-determination clause in the UN and I stand behind it fully.
:cripes:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
It would do, yes. Bear in mind the peace AI hasn't been tweaked much yet though.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

zedprime posted:

Even if I misinterpreted excitement about anomalies as being the whole tech system, I am pretty sure Doomdark is still on the record at Gamescom saying that you can find new anomalies on old features because of new sensor technology.

He is, yeah. I'm a bit less certain that'll actually make it in, but it's something we want to have anyway.

Baronjutter posted:

They will be most like goodie huts in civ I guess, in that they can be both good and bad, but usually good enough to get you wanting to go out there and explore. Civ tried to have an "explorer" unit that gave better goodie hut rewards but it was too small a part of the game to really make it worth building.

In Stellaris it sounds like they've become a much bigger part of the game, and more interesting. Everyone loves the CYOA events from CK2, so it will be that in space. Find a space hole to hell, fill it full of rocks, get an outcome. Except your options and the results will also be based on the skill of your explorer-scientist, your cultural values, your technology, and a ton of other things.

For instance you find a planet with an ancient abandoned city that has an engineered slave race still maintaining the city for their long dead masters. You then get options based on your leader, society, and technology.
Maybe you have good enough bio tech that you can make a simple change that makes their "loyalty gene" dormant, freeing them from their hard-wired compulsion to maintain the city and worship their old masters. In thanks they give you the technology "cubism" and a new pop of citizens joins your empire, or the city becomes a colony.
Maybe your society is down with slavery and with some simple pheromones your scientist reports we could put these "people" to productive use thinking we are their new masters, giving you a POP unit of slaves.
Maybe your scientist is lovely and tries to tell them their creators are long dead and the slaves all sink into comatose depression as they are programmed to die in such an event.

Then on another play through you get the same event, or you think it's the same event, but when you free the slaves they kill your scientist and rise up as a small but technologically advanced upstart nation. Freed from their genetic obedience they can now use their masters ancient technology to become a serious threat.

Pretty much, yes.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
HoI 4 supply DD:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hearts-of-iron-iv-33rd-development-diary-supply.891122/

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Pretty dishonest to just zero in on one (clearly exaggerated) post, and pretend like it's representative, in an effort to ignore legitimate criticism. I realize it's not *your* game, but it still comes across as needlessly defensive.

There was like 4 different posters before that saying something like "Oh no, pre-order canceled!" over the planet DD too, it seemed silly to me too.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Autonomous Monster posted:

The 3ma crew reckoned the sequel stripped out everything interesting about the original and ended up being a much more conservative MoO-like. Confirm/deny?

Pretty much. SD2 is basically a remake of MoO2.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Had not seen that, sounds interesting. But the SD galaxy is only 100 stars, making it 4 times larger is still on the small side for a 4x.

Tomn posted:

It's interesting that for all that MoO1/2 are held up as the gold standard of space 4xes that everyone should copy, I don't remember many games if any at all that tried to replicate their tech system with the hard choices that came along with them.

SD2 has the same system, as does the upcoming Lord of Rigel. I almost always played Creative races in Mo0 though, gotta have all the tech!

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Stellaris DD:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-10-the-spaceport-and-rare-resources.892292/

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Yeah, there are orbital slots and such for planets you can't colonize. But I was talking more in terms of things not tied to planets, deep space stations between systems and such.

You can't stop or do anything between systems, but you can build bases not in orbit of a planet.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Agean90 posted:

So what's the most "wait what" level bug you guys have found so far

We had a MP match where the endgame crisis stuff started firing on day 1. That... went badly for us.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Barnaby Barnacle posted:

Does the human race always starts on a plucky little planet named Earth in the Sol System a couple millenia after the life of a man named Jesus, or can you generate a scenario that is conceivably a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away?

To take inspiration from other sci-fi settings, could you start a game as the only spacefaring race and still have an interesting time thanks to civil wars and the like challeninging your empire?

Westminster System posted:

You can do the Earth start, and I believe it was mentioned somewhere you can have multiple people in the same star system at the start of the game, so its not inconceivable that you can not start in Sol if you don't want to.

You can't start in the same system as another race.

The bulk of our races are going to be custom/randomly generated races, but there are also some (8?) scripted "quick start" races which you can just pick and go if you don't want to make your own race. One of these is the Sol-humans. So if you want to start on Earth, you pick them (and you can customise them if you want too). On the other hand, if you just make a race using the human template you'll start in a random system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Psychotic Weasel posted:

The number of days in each space month and how long the year is and how it's divided for my randomly generated planet and parent star is vitially important for me and the human condition. All other flaws in thia game will be secondary.

In all seriousness though. I'm assuming that each planet rotates on the overworld map but do they also orbit in real time (like in Distant Worlds for example)? Apart from just being a nice detail it could and also be important for when your heavily fortified garrison planet orbits away from your system's stargate or rare resource mine, leaving it more exposed.

I know we've seen a dev diary about systems but I can't easily look it up on a phone.

Planets don't move in their orbits around stars, it would be cool, but having your planets in consistent places was felt to be more important.

Baronjutter posted:

Remember in moo2 how could you start pre-warp, warp, or advanced? I always loved starting pre-warp and having a cool amount of time to build up my home world and maybe even colonize a couple planets locally before I even knew FTL technology. In many cases I'd purpsefully hold off researching FTL technology almost "role playing" that my race thinks it has more than enough room to expand at home and doesn't need it yet. Sometimes I'd make first contact with another civilization during this time, and my people would freak out and get researching space stuff.

I know everything about this game is about perfectly symetrical multiplayer-balanced starts, but I'd wish so bad for some sort of "randomize empire advancement" option at the start of the game and then maybe a slider or something for how big of a gap there could be.

So one empire might start out with a big developed homeworld, 2 scouts and a colony ship like normal. Another empire might have a few more levels of tech and a couple small colonies, while another might be basically where humans are today. Pre-warp, just barely getting a local space program.

I see the appeal of symmetrical starts, specially if you're playing some sort of competitive multiplayer, but I'd love a galaxy that feels more like I'm just newest but certainly not the last to join this interstellar club that's been going in for the last few centuries.

Or even just have a global "primitive start" with no empires at all, just a galaxy seeded with minor races ranging from stone age to information age and as the turns go by they all have a chance to develop to the next phase and hopefully become a FTL empire. Who ever gets FTL first in their area will have a massive advantage. Will they ignore all the less developed races but protect them from others? Enslave them? Uplift them and bring them into their multi-cultural federation? Eventually all the empires that managed to break out of minor status and become a real empire will meet up, after gobbling up all the lessers.

I'd love to play some humans that see this going on in the distant galaxy, and have to do what ever it takes to be ready for them. By appeasing them, but working together with others to destabilize them. How good would it feel if the plucky little Earth Alliance and a couple other bottom-tier space powers managed to pull the great Googian Empire into an exhausting war that ends up embarassing its dictatorship to the point that a civil war begins, breaking the empire up into little parts that no longer threaten the galaxy.

Or maybe poor earth doesn't stand a chance and is forced into joining some massive ancient empire. Now it's like we're playing a vassal or colonial nation, waiting for our chance to declare independence war , making secret alliances with fellow protectorates and outside powers. One day earth will be free! And when we are we'll have all the technology of our former masters.

We don't have different starting levels, but I agree they're cool and would like to see them added.