Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinback
Jul 22, 2012

I've been having real awful dreams about giant apocalyptic machinery
just mowing us all down...
So I just started playing Kaiserreich (and Darkest Hour) for the first time. I'm trying to get a CSA game off the ground but I dunno if I'm supposed to manually tag-switch/reload a save when ACW2 kicks off or if I just keep loving up the event chain and ending up stuck as the USA under MacArthur. Fuckin Syndicalist revolution, how does it work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinback
Jul 22, 2012

Happy pops have lower militancy, yeah, but they also have individually calculated wealth which impacts how they promote and what they buy, which in turn will impact your industry. If you manufacture consumer goods for domestic consumption, then you want your pops to have money. It's kinda hard to suss out an ideal economic set up in Vicky so don't be afraid to experiment with those sliders. Tariffs can be a good way to raise revenue if your industry isn't based on imports. Whatever you do just don't let the Liberals/capitalists take control, because they are realistically short sighted and incompetent and will run your country into the ground while starving you of revenue.

Keep an eye on your main imports and exports, and try to build your colonization/expansion around meeting those needs. Countries in your sphere of influence count as the domestic market, so goods from there go to your needs before the global market and don't get tariffed. Be careful adding to many popular consumer goods to your domestic market if you're dependant on tariffs for revenue though.

Also also don't forget your RGOs are also a source of income, and that production for them and factories are impacted by infrastructure, so improving infrastructure is almost always a good choice. This is also true of the major industrial tech trees which improve mining and farming output.

Investing in a country (building factories, railroads) multiplies your influence there. You could also use the Make Puppet CB on them. You get a big influence multiplier on puppeted nations so it's far easier to keep them in your sphere (and I think discourages the AI from investing influence there). Also IIRC you get profits from successful foreign factories.

Pinback
Jul 22, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

I wanted to add mobilization plans in the V2 expansions we did, but it was too difficult at the time and rally points was the best we could do :(

It's okay. We know you'll make it up to us in Victoria 3.

:allears:

Pinback
Jul 22, 2012

When I bring full communism to the world in Vicky 3, it'll bring full communism to real life.

Also while I recognize the game needs to vastly improve how Lassaiz-Faire/Liberal economics works for the sake of both fun and realism, I get a kick of how it's always and unambiguously the worst government type in the game.

Pinback
Jul 22, 2012

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

I certainly have no idea how valuable forts were to 1800s army strategy- but I'm guessing less important that in prior centuries- but I'd also probably prefer the EUIV fort defense system for provinces. Then at least I could figure out roughly where people will attack, as opposed to everything feeling like just one open mess of space.

Agreed. It's messy, but I like the way combat mechanics kinda evolve over time as you research tech. I think it should start out somewhat Eu4 like, but transition to having elements more in common with HoI as the game progresses. It's a tricky time period because you start in the area of massed armies fighting large but singular decisive battles, then transition into the WW1 era of massive static fronts and trench warfare, than into the very late-game interwar period where you start to see WWII style mobility warfare emerge.. The game would definitely benefit from HoI4 style strategic planning in the later game, as well as a more coherent (or at least less opaque) connection between industrial output and mechanized military capability.

Also while I agree that Manpower management needs to be streamlined, I hope they maintain a mechanical connection to pops because having wars actually deplete your population and in term impact your economy is really cool and appropriate.

It's tricky, but I think PDox have the ability to strike that balance and the results would be fantastic.

Also have an 1821 start and give us working Eu4 and HoI4 converters for full-bore Mega-Campaign goodness, because if we're going to dream why not dream big?

Pinback
Jul 22, 2012

I was thinking 1821 could just be an optional converter start, not the new default. 1836 does make more sense for a vanilla campaign.

I would like to see factions and political parties modelled as actual entities though, with distinct characteristics, AI, and goals. Revolutions are one of the most hypothetically interesting things about Vicky 2, but they often play out in a super obnoxious way. It'd be neat if you could actually align yourself with a specific faction/party and had to negotiate and compromise with the others, instead of just running your country in a totally counter-intuitive way to shift popular ideology around.

Basically there's elements from every newer Paradox game that I think would serve as a good starting model for building a Vicky 3. I wouldn't want to see it just turned into another Eu4 though. I agree that I like having a better sense of what my nation is and about in practical terms, whereas Eu4 is abstracted to the point where I don't really get that same flavour/emergent story sense. Also I think industrialization and economic management is fun even despite all it's flaws. I like building supply chains, and having my diplomatic wrangling and conquests be informed by practical economic concerns as opposed to just "What's the next richest bit of map I can get away with painting my colour." I wish trade goods in Eu4 had more of an impact on the game.

I'd also like to see naval combat and bases reworked to be more strategic, and so that key ports and bases become more important. Honestly in general Eu4 and Vicky need to make it more difficult to project power overseas.

Of course all this fantasizing doesn't count for much since Stellaris and HoI4 both aren't even out yet and I don't think Victoria has ever really been a big hit for the studio.

Pinback
Jul 22, 2012

YF-23 posted:

Other way around. Wester had made a bet that if V2 turned a profit he'd shave his head. He lost spectacularly because V2 made more than just a profit.

Well poo poo I stand corrected. This is good news.

Pinback
Jul 22, 2012

Groogy posted:

UK declares war on Finland as they were allied with the Soviet Union, and as far as I know that is the only time in modern history that a democracy has declared war on another democracy. And no, One Party Democracies does not count.
Needless to say it does not set a norm.

I'm going to be a pedant, but I think you mean Finland was at war with the Soviet Union and allied with Nazi Germany as a consequence.

Pinback
Jul 22, 2012

Chief Savage Man posted:

I can't imagine something that wasn't hard-coded in HoI2 will be in HOI4.

IIRC they outright said Nat'l Focus trees where going to be moddable. I'll be shocked if there isn't a declare war on anybody/free for all mod. Also Kaiserreich and other scenarios will probably be plentiful.

But yeah for the default game it honestly makes sense to have ways to put the breaks on random conquest, or you could easily cheese things. Also there is historical precedent to back it up as a mechanic even if it's something of a generalization.

Pinback fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 16, 2015

Pinback
Jul 22, 2012

Rogue State looks cool. It actually really strongly resembles a spec design I was thinking about a while ago, including the title, which is super weird. Hopefully it's still on sale tomorrow when I get paid.

Any more impressions?

Pinback
Jul 22, 2012

Another Person posted:

How do you play Viccy 2? I just had a really odd situation where I was playing as Portugal, I was doing amazing on the conquest of Africa and colonising the areas before that stuff takes off. I even kept my infamy in check. I had half of Sokoto in me, half of Ethiopa and all of Transvaal.

Then I built a factory and my economy just plummeted. Beyond recovery. I even destroyed the factory to see if the resources that needed buying up for that were the root of the issue. It wasn't, and my income just wouldn't recover. I put down all of my expenditures down to zero, and boosted all of my taxes and tariffs as high as I could and I was still making negative money. All I could do was sit and watch while I took on more and more loans.

Also, for some odd reason my troop bases were not replenishing, even if I set my NF to be encouraging soldiers.

This is about the closest I've comign to understanding Vicky 2 economics:

Individual pops have a calculated income. If you over-tax them they can't buy stuff, and your internal economy grinds to a halt. This is also true of Tariffs, which makes goods imported from outside your local market (Your country + sphere of influence) cost more. This not only impacts your pops, but your factories as well. If you're going to have high tariffs, you want to keep desirable imports outside your SoE and ensure your pops have enough income to pay for those imports. This also means building factories around domestically produced goods. If you're going to have high tariffs, try lowering your taxes. Bear in mind that it can often take a while to really see the impact of these changes on your economy. The budget screen numbers will absolutely lie to you. Conversely, if you produce lots of valuable consumer goods reduce tariffs and up taxation, since you'll be making money on the wealth generated by internal trade and consumption as your pops sell and buy from each other. Again it's opaque, so just keep an eye on your biggest imports/exports and use lots of trial and error with sliders.

The other thing is to keep on top of industrial tech. Those bonuses to RGO output are huge for an economy that isn't heavily industrialized. Commerce techs are also useful here but, imo, not nearly as much as industrial. If you're RGO extraction or factory production efficiency isn't very good than you'll lose money as other nations can produce more goods, more cheaply. Vicky 2's economy is very wonky and opaque, but there is some method to the madness.

There's also the matter of changes in good prices, which are driven by demand. For example clipper ships are a terrible investment, because they'll rapidly become worthless as steam-ships enter the picture and demand plummets. In comparison, things like steel and it's components (coal, iron) tend to be reasonably valuable through the whole game since you never stop building railroads, factories, ships, tanks, guns, etc... Just be sure, again, to keep your industrial techs reasonably competitive. Look at what RGOs you have, what you can manufacture with those RGOs, and focus your industry and commerce techs around whatever gives efficiency bonuses for those.

tl;dr Keep your industrial techs up, trial and error experiments with sliders, wait to see how slider changes actually effect income, build factories around the goods you have access to and the goods that are and will remain in high demand.

Pinback
Jul 22, 2012

Gort posted:

There is no generic supply resource. It's rolled into the cost of equipment now.

One of the reasons this was done was to prevent every player just stockpiling gigantic amounts of supplies and oil before the war and therefore never getting impacted by the lack of supplies and oil at any point in the war. If we're going from "Japan/Germany never suffers problems from lack of supply" to "Japan/Germany only suffers problems from lack of supply when it comes to making new units" then I call it a win.

My understanding is that new equipment is needed to reinforce/repair/maintain units. So in the aforementioned Japanese Navy example, you'd have ships that would never repair damage and would degrade in fighting capability over time. Or something like that.

Pinback
Jul 22, 2012

I picked up Darkest Hour so I could play a bit of Kaissereich, given how good some of the LPs where. I'm starting to muddle along okay, but I don't know how/if there's a way to get an estimate of an opponent's military strength. How can I tell if I can beat someone in a war?

Pinback
Jul 22, 2012

E: Wrong thread.

Pinback
Jul 22, 2012

[e: Wrong tab, thought I was in EU4chat.)

I hope Wiz's new secret project is Vicky 3. Between the unofficial patch and the recent stuff for the current games I just can't help but get excited though. I can't imagine how good Vicky could be with the same degree of refinement.

Pinback fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 12, 2016

Pinback
Jul 22, 2012

Obviously Obsidian is taking over development of Vicky 3.

Pinback
Jul 22, 2012

Super Jay Mann posted:

Everything you just said sounds awesome and not retarded.

Yeah I actually started the post in agreement and by the end really wanted that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinback
Jul 22, 2012

Drone posted:

Exactly what problem does gating Fabricate Claim behind a tech level solve? And how does it not screw over the lowliest tech groups?

While I do absolutely love Paradox's constant development cycle, it's almost reaching a point with CK2 and specifically EU4 that they're just changing poo poo for the sake of changing it.

I assume it's going to be accompanied by an array of other changes and will make sense in context. It's probably going to be a big patch built around fixing some of the incongruities between legacy Eu4/Eu3 stuff and post Eu4.5 stuff.

Just speculating, but I hope that in general CBs become more varied and dynamic. Fabricate Claim ad nauseum is kinda dull and doesn't make all that much sense thematically. Right now straight up conquering land is almost always the best use of resources, with other peace options mainly being tack-ons for when your warscore exceeds your MP.

Just the other day I found myself wishing for a "Liberate Allied Core" CB like Vicky 2.