Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Meiou looks like the game I want euiv to be, maybe a few steps past it in complexity honestly, but I have a feeling it'll be cripplingly slow, unwieldy, and be extremely buggy. I really hope paradox is looking at some of the things they've modeled for internal development because with a whole studio behind them I really think eu5 could finally be the game where building a smaller country that's more centralized and economically developed can finally be as fun as the giant blob empires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

YF-23 posted:

As someone who's played the version of MEIOU for the previous DLC/patch, M&T, while suffering from those things to some extent, is probably not as "slow, unwieldy, and extremely buggy" as you imagine it to be. Its single greatest sin is not communicating things to the player as well as it should. It has a shitton of its own mechanics, which generally work well enough and are not utterly impenetrable, even if they're not always integrated well enough into the base game mechanics. But you have to go through the interface, clicking buttons and reading event descriptions to get a grasp of what those mechanics actually are. Once you actually accomplish that, the workings of the mechanics are more or less intuitive, but there's a wall for the player to climb to get to that point. Somewhat like a player that starts up EU4, or Dwarf Fortress, for the first time, everything will feel like a confusing mess until you work yourself to achieving familiarity with the mod.

Another thing, which the M&T guys talked about in their presentation, is that there is a difference in philosophy between vanilla EU4 and M&T, in that vanilla gives the player the role of a sculptor over their country, who has near-total control over what it becomes, whereas they described the role of the player in M&T as more of a gardener who is more hands-off and makes the game more about creating the conditions for your country to prosper than anything. That is, of course, a massively idealised vision, and it doesn't always work out great because the base game is built around the player having total control and being a constantly active spirit of the nation pushing it in specific directions. But it gets the difference in what a player coming in should expect across, so if you feel like trying out M&T out of curiosity but that sort of thing isn't what you want from your game, it's probably not going to tick on a fundamental level.
That's reassuring to say the least, the reduced speed is expected but still slightly annoying I probably came off a bit down on it's prospects because the one live stream I saw of the main dev had him confronting a major bug with estates that didn't fill me with much confidence.

The different design philosophy is the most exciting part of the mod though. I think EUIV is a pretty decent game but basically every game devolves into the same thing. Fabricate claims, take territory, ally the biggest guy you can find. And none of the expansions have touched on what I feel are huge flaws in the game, rather they've tacked on system after system seemingly just to add bulletpoints to the back of the box. Estates are probably the biggest example I see of this in the game they are somehow both extremely annoying, poorly thought out, and easy to game. Meiou's version seems extremely well considered and flavorful in comparison.

Half the reason I want a EU5 is so they can try and roll in some of the better changes we've seen in mods and in the expansions and stick them in the game more organically. Just imagine instead of dozens of event box based map switching like in Meiou if there was a way to easily switch between demographic map modes and see how you emphasizing trade was bringing more people in from the country side into your cities increasing their tax and trade incomes breaking the power of the landed aristocracy, but the growing bourgeoisie populations causing major unrest as enlightenment ideals start spreading.

I also want a prettier map to stare at for hundreds of hours.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Gort posted:

Frankly if you think Paradox charging £17.49 for Hearts of Iron 4 is ridiculous, let me direct you to the Playstation store, where they are selling games for in excess of £60

You're comparing a sale price to a full retail price. Counterpoint Crusader Kings 2 is still $40 retail and you'd be hard pressed to find a game on psn that's five years old that hasn't been marked down. If you're going to defend them at least use like examples.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

IncredibleIgloo posted:

There are few games that continue to receive free content updates for five years though, so it might be hard to find an apt comparison.

"Free content" is a bit of a stretch when you consider that you need to spend in excess of a hundred dollars to get a complete game.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Paradox resurrecting the impressions style city builder would be rad.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I think Rome 2 makes the most sense from a business perspective. If they make the base robust enough you could stretch the time period from Babylon to the early middle ages somewhat feasibly. And sell each one of those timline chunks for 10 to 15 dollars.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Beamed posted:

I don't know if I'd buy Rome 2 after buying Sengoku or March of the Eagles on release. Paradox's record of abandoning games that aren't mainline is... well.

Crusader Kings wasn't mainline until it started making boatloads of cash. Sengoku and mote were clearly never designed to be expanded as much as at least my hypothetical Rome 2

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

algebra testes posted:

Latest hint is game is "easy to spell"

I swear to God if it's Magicka I'm going to riot.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Shark Sandwich posted:

Tbh having late antiquity would be the only way I’d play Rome 2. It’s such an interesting period of history and I knew nothing about it until fairly recently. Most Euro history I took went from Odoacer straight to Charlemagne

So little is known about huge swathes of Europe at that time that it might as well be a fantasy game at that point.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Groogy posted:

You guys say no fantasy but I for one would think it would be baller to work on a GSG Fantasy game. Tyranny GSG would so be my jam.

Could you base it on a game that isn't garbage please

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Groogy posted:

You guys say no fantasy but I for one would think it would be baller to work on a GSG Fantasy game. Tyranny GSG would so be my jam.

Could you base it on a series that isn't poo poo. Thanks in advance.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Rumda posted:

Don't hold back tell us how you really feel :jerkbag:

My bad dude I walked out of the house and my wifi dropped Didn't mean to post twice.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'm assuming that imperator will be designed with a state system in mind so it shouldn't be too difficult to manage. Compared to euiv which was designed with fewer larger provinces in mind then doubled the provinces and added states as a stop gap solution.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I'm nervous to see any comparison to EU:R, because so much in that game was a poorly-implemented mess. I hope they start from scratch really.

The first crusader Kings was even more of a mess. If they can turn that game into one of their most popular titles than you shouldn't be worried that they can transform Rome. Hopefully this time they manage to limit their scope somewhat though.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah they seem overcomplicated, I want simpler icons that I can tell at a glance what they are. I'd rather have a sword for a military tab rather than some legionaries screaming.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Fuligin posted:

Yeah it owns. performance updates are the best thing

Reapers Due was secretly a performance patch, It gave Paradox the ability to massacre all the worthless NPC's every few decades to keep up performance.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Who the gently caress would nuke Albany?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Once you understand how far they'll go. And how to set up housing blocks properly they aren't too difficult. The military side is the part that really drags them down.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah build your granary closer to your housing black and use walls to keep the city rating up and to keep out people who don't need to be walking into the market? Did you play the xia tutorial? It's actually pretty good at explaining these things. There's also a YouTube channel called gamerzakh that goes mission to mission and also does city building doctors that serve as wonderful supplementary info for the game.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I can't remember the exact number but walker will only walk...twenty I think space before they turn around to walk home. You generally want every thing as compact as possible without affecting city quality for maximum efficiency. It seems complicated but once you understand the basics you can really break free from basic sqaure housing blocks and still be successful with more aesthetic city designs.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

IAmThatIs posted:

Unpopular opinion incoming

I think they should take CK3 back to the lame catholic monarchies only system. I’m hoping with the new engine they’ll have for CK3, they’ll be able to focus on creating a much more robust system. Then, they can do expansive dlc using the lessons from CK2.

I don't want this because I want the byzantines, nomads, Muslims and republics to all feel more unique then being this weird psuedo feudal system. But I also don't want to see India or China. At least not in the base game. I'd rather see them not included and have a more robust medieval Europe simulator then to try and cram in all of Eurasia. I think at that point it'll become too unfocused.

I'd love to see a separate game that has the level of support that ckii or euiv had for Asia though.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There's a ps4 version of Stellaris?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

wukkar posted:

groogy please buy Stronghold thanks.

A new stronghold that doesn't suck would be amazing

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'm pretty sure he's going through a divorce or separation from his wife. I'm sure he's feeling little distracted without anyone else there to take his mind off things.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Don't play as China. It's awful

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Flavius Aetass posted:

Have you guys considered that Paradox no longer wants to develop the Congo Free State simulator?

As opposed to their native American genocide simulator, and play as literally Nazi Germany simulator.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Is Vicky 2 worth getting into at this point? Or is it too clunky and old to get started on in 2019

It's the best paradox game

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

It’s vicky3

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

In a lot of ways Vicky is actually the simplest.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Big Hubris posted:

Did Imperator launch without magic?

They took the Mana out after they realized the release version was trash

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If there's nobody to find bugs before launch you can launch without having to spend dev time fixing bugs.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I can't believe no ones out here repping the Texas lp. And the absolute cluster gently caress/ pure art that was the crete lp.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Communism would work so well if we could just solve the human problem

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's so hosed up the cia sponsored stalin

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I think you should look up directly in the dictionary.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Like einstein said. If you can't explain something in plain English than you're a dumb oval office

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

doingitwrong posted:

I’ve been getting into the history of trade empires and the dynamics of power that has less to do
with conquest and more to do with concentrating wealth (though, obviously, a lot of conquest was happening too). That’s the best Grand Strategy to play around with this?

CK2 with Republic DLC? EU IV as Venice or England or Netherlands? Stellaris (I know little about Stellaris). I presume not HOI and not Imperator but could be wrong.

Not exactly a grand strategy but try out imperialism I and II on gog sometimes. Highly underrated games about managing trade and acquiring and processing resources to give yourself a leg up on your rivals

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Vicky does tie trade to geography though, not through imaginary trade lines,but by the placement of it's resources. It's not perfect, but neither is the way EUIV's trade routes force trade into certain nodes even if it doesn't make sense in the context of the world

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Didn't they do this once already lol?

e: How hard is it to make an rpg about murder goths this concept is cursed apparently

Yeah they had to take and develop crusader kings I themselves because the Russian studio they originally had doing it wasn't able to get it done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

There aren't any good cold war games from like the past two decades have there?

Grand Strategy wise? Not really, maybe something in the wargame space

Just games yeah Wargame Airland Battle and it's sequel are good, the Tropico games are fun but piss easy. Black Ops was the last good Call of Duty. A lot of people thought Phantom Doctrine was good, personally I fell off it quick. There's a cheap Political Sim calle China:Mao's Legacy that I've been looking at, only seven bucks. There's also the PC port of Crisis in the Kremlin