Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Autonomous Monster posted:

Oh yes

I think there also used to be a Touhou mod, which is... are there even maps of Gensoukyou?

e: Actually, hey, this mod has a consistent art style for all ethnicities! I wish vanilla could pull that trick off.

That honestly doesn't look that bad. I'm sure there's horrific anime waifu bullshit mods out there but that just looks fairly neat, IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I am deadly serious.

You're a little wrong; white people have been in Italy since before the Roman Empire began, and Romanized Germanics were common in Rome since like 250 AD, since they were considered more trustworthy soldiers/generals than Italians or Illyrians - less likely to just take a legion and try to start a coup.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

The Sharmat posted:

Trying to be non-racist by ironically looping back to the neo-fascist standpoint of "Only Germanic peoples are REALLY 'white'" is dumb.

I don't think the Germanic peoples were the only ones that were White, I brought them (and Celts) up because I did mistakenly think ABP was being serious about the origin of 'white people in Italy' and was trying to follow their logic of 'whiter than Italians'. Obviously race is just a social construct and the definition of whiteness has shifted dramatically over the centuries (not to mention the classical Romans didn't have the same conceptions of race we do in modern days), but I promise I'm not some neo-fascist, dude.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Ofaloaf posted:

If they ever pushed the start date back with DLC as far back as Charlemagne is from the vanilla start in CK2, then Stellaris would have an alternate early start in... 1903.

So what you're saying is War of the Worlds bookmark, featuring Verne and Wells as primitive Earth's Scientist characters?

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Sci fi nerds in this thread, what is it about Fungi that make them so common as an alien race in sci fi genres? (Maybe they're not so common and it's just confirmation bias, idk!) Is there some special property of fungus that makes it plausible for a sapient fungoid alien race to exist? What make fungi more suitable than plants for a non-Fauna alien race? Or is it just a case of 'wouldn't it be cool if'?

Like I don't mind if it is the latter, I'm just curious because it seems like a cool thing that I'm totally ignorant about!

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
I wonder if it's possible to hit Franco-British Union before the war breaks out, or if it can only come too late to actually save mainland France.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
For those of us who didn't play EU: Rome, what was so good about the Senate/Parliament/Council system in that game?

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
India could be better, and it's a bit disappointing that it is so isolated, but it certainly doesn't deserve the dislike it gets. Hopefully when CK3 rolls around it gets a better shake.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
I dunno if you can even say Decadence 'works' now. It was a really poorly thought out mechanic designed to punish you, now it's a slightly less exploitable mechanic designed to punish you.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

tooterfish posted:

I don't know, why does it matter why?

Historically longbow practice isn't an inherent cultural trait, people only did it because they were coerced, so it dying off because Sultan John doesn't like the idea isn't actually that strange a thing. Just thought I'd point that out.

And people who have done it due to being coerced for generations (and hell, who probably like it and see it as regional pride!) don't immediately disappear the day after a ruler of a particular culture takes over.

Also to put this another way - say for instance England wins a Hundred Years War-type scenario, and an English king (disregarding the fact that a lot of the English nobility had more in common with French nobles than with English commoners) takes the throne of France. Do you really think French knights would just hang up their stirrups and take up longbow-style archery, just because the king is now English?

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Frontspac posted:

[e: Wrong tab, thought I was in EU4chat.)

I hope Wiz's new secret project is Vicky 3. Between the unofficial patch and the recent stuff for the current games I just can't help but get excited though. I can't imagine how good Vicky could be with the same degree of refinement.

I'm thinking it's either that or something WoD-related, purely because Paradox shelled out the money for it, they might as well use it to earn some stuff back. No idea what a Paradox WoD game would look like, though.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Randarkman posted:

Why do people think that the Persian Empire didn't have slavery? because it's not really based in much fact (do people think the women, boys and eunuchs in the harem were volunteers?). There weren't many slaves in Persia (that is Western Iran) itself because that was more of an aristocracy-ruling-peasants type of place than a greatly urbaninzed region at this time, however slavery had a long tradition in Mesopotamia (the heart of the empire), Egypt, the Levant and Anatolia, and in all cases was allowed to carry on as it always had in those regions. The Achaemenids are also noted to have enslaved large numbers of people as punishment for rebellion.

The later Sassanid Empire had laws regarding slavery that are very much like the later Islamic laws for slaves, that is slaves who converted to Zoroastrianism could buy their freedom, and some laws regarding the general treatment of slaves are also pretty similar.

But there never really was a large scale aversion to slavery as an institution, if anything ancient Persia is more like Medieval Europe in where you had a large population of unfree agrarian subjects ruled over by the aristocracy, but very few actual slaves.

I think you just answered your own question as to why people think the Persians didn't have slavery - because we tend to think of it more like serfdom than actual slavery. (good post though)

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Lyapunov Unstable posted:

Seriously though has there been any hint of an actual date? I really need this

Closest thing AFAIK is that it's 'Coming Soon' sandwiched between May releases on Steam.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Thread seems to have been deleted, what was it about?

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
The people ITT having a meltdown over a horse and whinging that it's some arcane symbol they can't see are hilarious.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Sindai posted:

I'm pretty sure Paradox can remove mods from the workshop for their games, I think Groogy has mentioned doing it for some CK2 mods in the past.

They definitely did it for a CK2 mod that made an explicit 'rape' diplomatic decision for imprisoned women characters. So I'm pretty sure Paradox would clamp down hard on any holocaust mods.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Going from one bad mechanic to another bad mechanic doesn't fix poo poo.

See also Muslim Decadence, which is still unfun and uninteresting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
I never played the original Rome, but I'd love a sequel that's more about managing a family and the people they patronize, maybe with a secondary focus of 'you control one city, no matter how big the Empire, and your goal is to make that one city pre-eminent' - representing classical Empires less as giant blobs and more as a hierarchy of city-states.