Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I got Hearts of Iron 3 ages ago as part of a bundle but never really got into it since it was before I really understood Paradox games (I've since played the hell out of CK2 and Victoria 2 so I think I can wrap my head around it a bit better). Would it be worth picking up the DLC while it's on sale?

Basically is the DLC as "must have" as it was for Victoria 2 if I want to try playing it?

No and yes, respectively. What I'm saying is don't play HoI 3 unless the idea of spending 2 hours in a glorified excel spreadsheet setting up your Order of Battle at the start of every game appeals to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Why does "EU3 complete", in 2015, still exist, as a thing?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I don't mind that there's a whole lot of old stuff on the sales page though it would be nice if they sorted it so that all the new (and good) stuff is at the top. I know focus groups have probably shown that randomisation is ~the best for your brand~ or something but I just refreshed three times and Cities Skylines was in the bottom two rows all three times, that's dumb.

But yeah my problem is that "EU3 Complete" is not in fact complete and there's very little to indicate to someone without foreknowledge that that's the case. Of course the argument then is why would someone without foreknowledge be buying EU3 instead of EU4 anyway, but if you're making that argument then why put up EU3 for sale at all? Given it's been this way for years and years now, it feels intentionally misleading and exploitative to me.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Kavak posted:

Get Darkest Hour if you want to try out Kaiserreich, otherwise just wait for Hearts of Iron IV.

This. Darkest Hour is fun in spite of itself. The old Europa engine games are clunky compared to EU3, let alone modern Paradox games like CK2 and EU4. Darkest Hour is one of the most refined Europa games and it's still quite a step down in usability, and in addition I found that once you know the "right" way to play you're basically done because the "wrong" ways to play are so inefficient in comparison that all you're doing by experimenting is shooting yourself in both feet. Unless you're desperately jonesing for a WW2 Paradox game, just wait for HoI 4.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

The people writing negative reviews for Common Sense are manchildren complaining that they weren't given every new mechanic introduced in a patch to a 2 year old game for free, only some of them. Anyone complaining about the new fort system is literally insane. Common Sense owns, buy it.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Also piss them off. The more militant the population is, the more conservatives in the upper house will vote for reform.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Groogy posted:

Get hired by Paradox.
you got an astrophysicist on staff?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

quote:

Actually, there has been some recent research finding that mating with a third cousin gives the highest genetic fitness.
The fourth reich gonna have some really hosed up-lookin dudes leading it.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

the first three are legitimately good suggestions

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Fintilgin posted:

I thought Steam recommended anime to everyone all the time.

The venn diagram of nerds who make bad decisions with their money and anime likers has an extremely large overlap.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

there are no democracies because every government is ruled in secret by the reptilians.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

words can have multiple definitions. for some people on the internet this is an impossible concept to grasp so they only ever use one definition per word regardless of context. everyone hates and reviles these people.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Fintilgin posted:

Maaaaaaaaaybe? Or maybe the Nazi's would have wound up with a burnt out husk of Moscow (with longer supply lines) and the Russians poised for a even more effective winter counter offensive that could have encircled Moscow and done an early Stalingrad.

There's a chance the fall of Moscow could have resulted in a collapse of the Soviet government... but I'm not sure I'd put money on it.

that you ignored the bit about the "honourable SS" is telling, kameraden

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

publish an obsidian-developed sequel to vtmb right loving now

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

Try and travel back in time to assassinate Hitler, the whole plan falls apart when you run into the 500 other people that all went back in time to assassinate Hitler.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

YF-23 posted:

We do have screenshots in the OP.

I am going to play this game

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

yeah it's phrased really badly. writer and editor should be ashamed imho

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

bring out the rebel bicolour

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Sharzak posted:

I can see why people are complaining in that case. It sounds like in this system, disrupting supply chains is functionally the same thing as strategic bombing. If I can cut an army off from a port/surround them I should be able to starve them of fuel and supplies in a matter of weeks rather than waiting months for the production chain to be affected .

Units still need to be in supply, ie able to trace a route from a supply depot (your capital) to their location, or they'll suffer heavy attrition and combat penalties.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Wiz posted:

Have you guys considered that switching from 'this will be the best ever' to 'this will be the worst ever' because of one DD about tile grid planets is just a little bit on the histrionic side?

paradoxplaza flips out over HoI4 supplies, SA flips out over Stellaris planet tiles. gaze too long into the abyss, etc.

e: I swear I hadn't read the above post when I wrote this :smith:

BBJoey fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Nov 17, 2015

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

didn't the IJA end up drafting people out of the IJN at some point?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

podcat posted:

its kinda relevant name actually: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Druk.
I'm sad he didnt have time to build a DRAGON FORTRESS so he could have held the indian troops at bay and got taken down :(

how soon after release can we expect the DLC giving bhutan a unique national focus tree, podcat?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Wiz posted:

Nerds.

Wiz posted:

Nerds.

Wiz posted:

Nerds.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

:gas:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Epinephrine posted:

We know that the top one is a horse, but with a little squinting it also looks like an SMG or a rifle perhaps. In fact, when I first saw the post I actually took a head-take as to why a SMG unit had a cavalry counter.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

kaiserreich will by nature always be horribly designed

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Drone posted:

I always get the feeling that Kaiserreich is a good concept executed by a team that couldn't gamedesign their way out of a wet paper bag. c/d?

kaiserreich is a mod by more than one person, that’s correct

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I think I’ve been more excited by the four dev diaries for Stellaris’s new planet system than all 21 dev diaries for Imperator. It seems like Imperator is going to be a straight iteration on what was in EU: Rome - which is fine, but hard to get invested in when that game came out over a decade ago, and the most comparable Paradox games like CK2 and EU4 have been around for 6 and 5 years respectively.

Given the amount of effort that’s being put into the map and province density, it feels like there’s a lack of ambition in trying anything new with the critical core mechanics.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Koramei posted:

E: if paradox games were about combat I would be very disappointed by this dev diary. Fortunately, they are not.

this is such a bizarre take to me

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Koramei posted:

You could replace the EU battle system with the one from CK2 and aside from OPM starts the game would probably feel basically identical.

:ssh: this is a bad thing

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Radio Free Kobold posted:

the more i see, the more i become convinced that imperator: rome is secretly victoria 3.

In what conceivable way

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

And you can basically write off divine wind because it was horrible. 3 expansions isn’t much.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

CK3 should only feature Western Europe and include a hyperdetailed simulation of the minutiae of high Middle Ages feudalism where for example you must face the consequences of disobeying the rules of heraldry

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

I play my paradox games with a podcast running in the background

correct

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Zeroisanumber posted:

When Stellaris was forthcoming Paradox had the Blorg streams with cKnoor and Wiz, and I enjoyed those quite a bit. It's not like they can't produce good preview streams.

Consider the staffing situation

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

i mean prussia is still grey instead of blue in eu4 for psycho johan reasons

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Also your chief of staff keeps narcing on the rest of your staff for smoking cigarettes

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Agean90 posted:

i would unironically prefer to meticulously chart out mobilization orders down to the precise time at which the reservists are expected to arrive at a supply depot than ever move a single pixleman into an empty province.

The fact that Victoria 2 doesn’t model mobilisation plans at all is a critical failing of its Great War system imo

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Lotti Fuehrscheim posted:

Paradox games are for hardcore players that save lots of money by buying everything and playing 1000's of hour not spending it in the pub.

Source your quotes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

V for Vegas posted:

Johan has always seemed like a straight up and down guy to me rather than a PR talking point.

Johan thought the game was perfectly fine at release