Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

so does that mean that all emails aren't coming until monday, or just that the rejection emails are going out on monday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

couldn't switching builds in the middle of a game lead to AI problems in its own right?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

my uncle works for nintendo and he says paradox is making a fantasy expansion for CK2 using the mario universe

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

GrossMurpel posted:

I've never backed a game on KS, is there no clause that lets you get your money back if the guy just stops working on it?

well, it's complicated. Technically not creating "something" goes against kickstarters terms of service. The problem is that kickstarter itself isn't willing to fight that battle, so outside of actually suing the guy who hosed you over there's not a whole lot you can do.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

Wait a second, cooler than Victoria?

Victorian Secrets release confirmed

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

May 19th, 2018 is a day I will always remember. It was the day I became cynical, bitter, and distraught. You may call it an overreaction for me to feel this way simply because of the business practices of a single video game company, but let me explain what all of this means to me.

My life was thrown off balance and I never regained my footing after that day, because I lost my ability to respect. An essential part of being human is to feel respect for those who may or may not be deserving of it. But it is equally human to feel painful disillusionment when someone or something you respected turns out to be much less than you thought. But the level of betrayal I felt when Paradox announced their new game tore something from me that I'll never be able to recover. They tore away my ability to respect anything, and they tore away my ability to feel human.

Paradox Interactive was a company I respected, and their employees were people I looked up to. Crusader Kings, Europa Universalis, Victoria, and Hearts of Iron were all quality game series that combined historical accuracy with sandbox game worlds. These games may have been cartoony and humorous at times, but deep down they were always realistic and crafted with a level of detail and skill that won appreciation from gamers all across the internet. HOI4 was their newest release, and the internet was in unanimous agreement that it was of unparallelled quality. Following it's long awaited release, Paradox began releasing quality DLC that raised the bar ever higher for Grand Strategy Games.

Then Imperator Rome was announced. This was not just an announcement of a new game, it was announcement of Paradox Interactive's suicide. It was a release intended to completely disregard fans desires for Vicky 3, and instead shock the entire world with its lunacy. Paradox Interactive had gone off the deep end and raised the middle finger to everybody who stayed loyal to them. They had announced that they didn't care anymore, that they didn't care for their community, and they were going to go out of their way to sabotage everything they had spent years creating.

The pain I felt from this betrayal has destroyed me on an emotional level, and has deprived me of my primary source of entertainment. No longer can I play Grand Strategy games without remembering the day I ceased mattering to people I devoted myself to. Paradox had not just destroyed me or their company, they had destroyed the one force of stability in the world: Trust.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

aw yeah it fit as a title

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

Family Values posted:

They have Korchin on the map and Korchin isn’t a historical nation, is it? (At least, so I assume, since the name is just a portmanteau of the modern, western names for Korea and China) So yeah, some copying going on there possibly.

so the korchin are a historic group who happened to ally with Dayan Khan during his reign, so they're a reasonable choice to have in the region, but it is super unlikely that another game would just happen to decide to model the mongol and jurchen tribes just like paradox has if they're not copying it wholesale.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

absolutely better than it used to be, but still could probably use some more work. Land masses tend to be more "island" and less "actual continent" sized, and while I can only speak from personal experience on a relatively limited amount of random new worlds, the province dev / number of provinces seems to be a little bit wonky. Province numbers never seem to come close to real new world, and province development tends to be mostly mediocre with a tiny smattering of 11 dev provinces. Tends to be fun if you're playing a non-primary colonizing nation, but idk if I'd ever want it on as someone like Portugal.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

everyone in the HOI world are actually mole people who live underground, coming above only to war

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

the only way to play hoi4 is speed 5 no pausing ever

trying to desperately finish rebuilding a OOB with the soviets before the war starts is a rush little else can reach

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

manufactories are one of those things that are theoretically great but in practice worth less ducats than just beating the poo poo out of rivals when they're small.

I could use the ducats they make to help me beat prussia in 150 years, or I could buy mercs and make sure there is no prussia in 150 years

TheFlyingLlama fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Sep 6, 2019

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

Oh poo poo I've changed my mind, I don't want EU5, I want Voltaire's Nightmare: The Game, non stop Imperial shenanigans! Play as a landless Knight who is a direct vassal of the Emperor for some reason! Try and get appointed Bishop of a diosese in Syria!

oh christ I want to play that so bad

how much non-contiguous land can you conquer in a lifetime? Idk but it's gonna make the poor mapmakers cry

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

wait, so let me see if I have this right

5ish hours ago paradox announced that they're releasing some new mobile game to beta in certain regions. In those 5 hours, we've learned that it's got premium currency that you can spend hundreds of dollars on, that the game itself is just a skinned version of another mobile game already on the market, and that there's stolen artwork so it had to be taken down.

that's basically a bad mobile game bingo in one day, real loving impressive

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

Asimov posted:

I'm struggling to imagine any ancient battles that reached 100,000 soldiers deployed in a single battle. Maybe the Mongols came close but I'll let a real historian weigh in.

Maybe? Especially in china we do have battles like Red Cliffs or Changping where it's claimed that there were hundreds of thousands of casualties, but it's hard to say how accurate those numbers historically are.

Red Cliffs / Chibi is a good example, because Wei sources at the time claim they had something like 800 thousand troops, whereas Wu reports put it closer to 250K. Are either of these figures right, who knows

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

humble bundle's got a pretty good deal for EU4 right now, 17 dollars for the game itself and every expansion except for conquest of paradise. Doesn't have all the unit packs and music or w/e but if you've been looking to try it out this is probably a good time

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/europa-universalis-iv?hmb_source=navbar&hmb_medium=product_tile&hmb_campaign=tile_index_2

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

Lazyhound posted:

Is CoP worth buying separately?

iirc all it adds is the RNW (cool in theory, but in practice almost always less useful than the normal one, although the fantasy ones are occasionally fun), the ability to play as colonial nations (again, fun to try out once, but not a big deal), and some additional new world mechanics like migration and reforming religions and w/e (conceptually very interesting, in practice it is the most loving tedious thing in the game and absolute not worth doing more than once)

if you end up really liking EU4 I'd probably grab it later once it goes on sale, but of all the DLCs it's absolutely the one you can miss with almost no reservations at all

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

Nothing quite like playing a colonial portugal game with RNW only to realize all the new world trade nodes point towards asia

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

allegedly it's just going to be an option and you can just buy DLCs like you currently can. Let's see how long that lasts though

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

is there anything you can do in vicky 2 that doesn't break the game's economy?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

do not post it, someone will try it and you don't want that kind of blood on your hands

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

it was...November 2013 I think that they stopped updating the gamersgate version and effectively went steam only on CK2

they gave everyone with the gamersgate version free steam keys for the game and any DLCs they had but there was still some pretty insane teeth gnashing at the time

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

In a shocking turn of events, Arumba is maybe not telling the story entirely unbiased

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

the entire point of playing vicky multiplayer is to get in first place and then completely ruin the world supply of something; iron/steel is usually the easiest but I did it with explosives once and it worked nearly as well

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

ItohRespectArmy posted:

you can actually do it with machine parts if you start as the uk and delete your starting factory.

that's a step too far because it completely turbofucks the game entirely; you want it to be game ruining, but in a way that you could fix it if you want to, so everyone knows you're loving it purposefully instead of just "whoops I accidently ruined the game"

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

vicky 3 is good news, but we're still missing news on the most important game of all; when is Victorian Secrets getting released???

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

frankly I'd be shocked if the games even really get played/tested so much as "china isn't unified, it's not so far in the past/abstracted enough to be ignorable, and Tencent only owns like a 5% stake in the company so just refuse to pass em".

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

don't worry, we just fired a female CEO to bring back a dude who sexually harassed someone so badly that he totally had to resign for a completely unrelated reason despite him needing a coach to understand that what he was doing wrong.

there is no way this can be bad or lead to results that lead to female employees leaving for "unrelated" reasons no sirree

TheFlyingLlama fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Sep 13, 2021

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

like, even as someone who has bought almost every game/DLC paradox has released in the last decade

"don't worry despite me sexually harrassing someone right before I resigned I'm totally cool to come back as CEO you can trust me for sure" when your company is in the loving news for bad business practices is a BAD loving LOOK

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

I mean, when one of the core individuals who built the company has already apologized for indiscretions it starts looking way more like "has this problem been there all along" than "they didn't grow HR as they should have as they got bigger"

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

do you have an international steam account set in china or an actual account on chinese steam? because the actual official chinese steam has like, 100 games total and none of them are paradox

it's really weird because international steam in china can still like, actually pay in chinese currency

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

I wonder if it's a difference between "this is explicitly not going to be allowed, don't even show it" and "this wasn't approved so it can't be on the official chinese steam but we'll let it be on the international one anyways"