Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Senor Dog posted:

I'd rather have my sokotan soldier pops taking the casualties than my basque craftsmen or whatever

e: just talkin about the video game here

I mean you can (and I usually do) build a decent amount of unaccepted infantry for when I don't wanna be mobilizing. But here your mobilized pops usually don't end up taking too many losses due to the fact you'll always have a crazy arty advantage that'll make most fights a complete blowout.

Decision/click to build +1 fort/naval base/railroad nationwide when?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

The real strat for large multicultural empires is to snag as much of the pacific as possible. They get ahistorical population growth and immigration, and since they're in Oceania they'll all assimilate to your main pop.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Ofaloaf posted:

Johan was staring at the ground during most of his presentation on the history of Europa Universalis' development, but that was okay since it was still an interesting presentation with lots of neat info and stories. Just, you know, no eye contact.

If you had stolen that many secrets from canceled spin-offs, your eyes would be weighed down with guilt as well.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Patter Song posted:

Constitutional Monarchies (HM's Government) ended up massively overpowered in V2 because it has all the trappings of democracy yet still lets the player arbitrarily dismiss the government and replace it with the ruling party of his/her choice. By the time royal authority diminishes to the point where HM's Government applies, royals don't just randomly dismiss governments anymore.

Your people are happy because of their Universal Suffrage with Secret Ballots and Free Press and all the rest...and you just say "nope, I think the Reactionaries are going to run, sorry about your Liberal landslide."

It's a shame you can't mechanically appoint the Communist party as a way for your king to sneakily abdicate the throne

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

High tarrifs in the early game would hurt a smaller country (even considering inefficiency) if that country didn't produce enough to eat or something. China can do whatever the gently caress it wants because it's like half of the worlds entire market at start and can manipulate the world economy at will.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Athaboros posted:

I always found these interesting. Is there any kind of published "rulebook" for them anywhere?

They were all destroyed in the great Hoxhaist purge of 2015

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

What about bilingual or trilingual pops? How many different literary rates could we add?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Stellaris 2 may be fun and good

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Palleon posted:

He got in too deep with Victoria's Secret.

(((deep))) research expedition

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

disjoe posted:

I still play Vicky 2 whatever I'm not afraid to admit it fight me

There are thousands of us Paradox! Hear our cry!

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Problem is with all QOL stuff like that, then they have to backport it :v:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Still Waiting On Victoria III

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Raskolnikov38 posted:

and do it as Luxembourg

Top tier formable, you can incorporate the French too!

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Generally you want to keep factories open as long as possible to build up your industrial base -- you can slowly transition away from unprofitable megafactories when you get some breathing room. Having tarrifs that high for that long kills your industry (as a smaller power) and your populace (generally) as they can't fulfill their needs from imports. Also trying to 1v1 Prussia as Bavaria generally isn't a winning move even with a tech advantage, they've got way more manpower than you so even if you stocked up on soldier pops before the war you'd be hard pressed to get anything that wasn't Pyrrhic out of it. You also don't need to fully fund educational/admin -- in fact its often better that you don't, to prevent massive bloated sectors from creeping up. Also get both expansion packs if you haven't already, it's an old pdox game that makes them almost mandatory.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I would legitimately love to do this if I felt like it was even possible but I just don't see how. I know you can propel basically any nation to GP status by rushing prestige techs, but since warfare is basically the only way you're going to be able to take german cores out of Prussia or Austria's spheres, what can Luxembourg even do? Even by making an alliance with Russia or something, you'll have to rely entirely on the AI to win the war for you and that is generally not a great option.

Use Prussia to bully the Netherlands into giving you Java, build up a decent colonial empire, ship the troops back to mainland Europe, occupy Prussia for 1000 years, become the grossest Deutchland.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Clearly yall have never fought a war as the underdog where you had to maintain static defensive lines just to survive. Granted the winning strat for that is to just bait their entire army into one battle and then surround them while you rotate your mans in and out based on the end of the month reinforcement tick, but still.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Klingon w Bowl Cut posted:

Anyone having short wars in Vicky 2 needs to play multiplayer. Our Great Wars put the real WWI to shame.

Nothing better than finally putting together a coalition to knock the socks off the resident world police.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Ideally you don't want to be sitting on a huge surplus (as that's money that could be given to your pops to fulfill needs), but especially as lower tier nations you'll need some saved up to weather weird market fluctuations or to buy goods from the market to build up your infrastructure/pay for military spending.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Alternatively, put your trust in a couple kids because managing a family of 50, and having them balloon out and constantly be a thorn in your main lines side is a good way to get a knife in the back :v:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

I think there's also a factory bonus to having it fully staffed, but I forget which imput (prolly throughput as well). Although throughput isn't anything to knock, having that extra ability to produce large quantities -- especially in the early game when there aren't as many stacking bonuses -- can really let you price others out the market and secure a chunk of the market with less of a burden on your subsidies.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Evil Agita posted:

Excellent, thanks I'm downloading it now. Open to other suggestions too- I have 4 days off! :2bong:

We've been running a multiplayer v2 game on Fridays over at mapgoons based on the divergences of darkness mod, which is pretty fun. I'd post the link but SA keeps switching it to video for some reason.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

algebra testes posted:

Victoria 3 could literally kill IRL capitalists when you have a glorious communist revolution and i'd still be disappointed.

I mean, lets not get carried away here

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

TheMcD posted:

Christ, there's some choice stuff in there.

I guess you were Scandinavia? That's something that usually doesn't happen, and its borders don't make me want to vomit. And I think you were cockblocking Germany via holding Schleswig?

Also, all that blue in Africa is confusing the hell out of me.

Japan, iirc. No way an AI Japan takes a chunk of Australia

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Convert to CWE and skip hoi :getin:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Having the modular dlc and one or two big expansions that tie them all together seems like it might be a decent compromise? I'd love to see the design docs for the latter to even attempt to pull that off, at least :v:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Beautiful. The German exclave in belerussia is top tier. What country were you playing & you have a world map?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

GrossMurpel posted:

If you really want to, you could just add them as accepted cultures in your savefile. Keep in mind that pretty much breaks the game though.
Or you could remove the modifier that makes cultures not convert in cores of that culture and convert them all to japanese slowly :getin:

The real move here is to conquer as much of Oceana as possible, and keep them & your mainland posessions the same administrative type (colony/state) so there is intermigration. Not only will the islands in Oceana not have cores blocking your Manchu and Korean subjects from zapping into proper Japanese, they actually get a bonus for doing so. This also works if you start grabbing land in the Americas, which obviously may present some other difficulties along with it.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

If the game had an event based or decision based way to annex uncivs in your sphere as you encroach on them (I know some exist, but generally so that it was more consistent), the game would be a bit more solid. Nothing more satisfying than freeing giant chunks of land to uncivs then swooping in five years later to take it for yourself.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Influence increases with the amount of loans a country has taken, a bankrupty gives you an annex seize collateral CB instead of a repay :getin:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Remember when you could literally depopulate an entire country in Victoria 2 for a patch? That was fun times, occupy France as Germany and sit on em for a decade, hello country with slightly more POPs than Jan Mayern.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Paradox Grand Strategy: Victoria's Secret Clubhouse

VV No pops in the new v3 confirmed :negative:

ThatBasqueGuy fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 11, 2018

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Groogy posted:

That if it isn't just a re-release of Vicky2 then you will just say it is a dumbed downed version with manas.

Is it really genocide if I spend some Polish mana to get more German Craftsman mana?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

If there isn't a cadre of goons liveposting then starting the revolt when it isn't v3 I will....uh....cut funding to infrastructure?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

When you kill a soldier pop in a war, do you ever consider the fact that you're lowkey killing the wife and average of two kids that the pop also represented?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Almost 1855 and you still have no industry? :sad:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

If they end up expanding out the tail end of the era you could see the Han start to push into central asia a bit

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Casually hating non-nazi furries in 2018 :eyepop:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

I don't quite "get" people playing HOI4->Stellaris campaigns. Whatever the state of the world is when you leave it at HOI4, it's still got to be just one civilization by the time you get to Stellaris. You may as well just start as the Commonwealth of Man or the United Nations of Earth in Stellaris, and ditch the mega-campaign before then.

I don't quite "get" people playing spore from the civilization -> space campaign. Whatever the state of the world is when you leave it, its still just one space ship by the time you get to Space. You may as well just start in Space as your creation, and ditch the rest of the game before it.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Remember barely being able to see yourself if you played in Iceland?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

The answer is always "conquer & sphere as much as possible, subsidize everything (especially if its overproduced) just to drive everyone else's economy into the ground." Bonus points if you fully occupy the industrial heartlands of any rival power long enough to shatter their supply chains and steal their profitabilty.