Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

v3 definitely needs a "war of the worlds" dlc later on in its cycle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

who even reads the op

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

all games are turn-based, just some have very fine-grained turns

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

they're adding china worldmap to ck3

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Accumulation and maintenance of power is a sort of intentionality

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Reveilled posted:

I think the one game I can think of that actually achieves the whole “empire collapse as an enjoyable game mechanic” is the board game Small World. You pick a fantasy race and explode onto the map conquering territory left and right, but eventually hit the peak of your expansion and find it hard to take new territory or hold your current land. And so part of the skill of being a good player is knowing when to flip your current empire into decline and switch to a new group.

Maybe something of that is what’s needed to make empire collapse enjoyable, a tension between building a large empire and getting a tangible reward of some sort for deliberately crashing it into pieces at the exact right moment. I’m thinking like, imagine if you were playing as Persia, and then chose to swap to being Alexander, a dude with incredible bonuses to empire building but with an unshakeable trait that no matter what the empire you’d build would immediately explode on death, with some benefit to your next character/empire the larger you could make the explosion?

Something like that, anyway, I’m no game designer. But I think the principle is sound, that empire collapse could be fun if you switch it from disaster to deliberate decision by the player somehow.

a sort of roguelike iterative death loop mechanic, could be cooking here

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Commercial Steepe Wolfe, I see zero issues

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

no one has yet to dethrone civ4, including 5&6

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Party In My Diapee posted:

I am having so much more fun with CK2 and Victoria 2 which is really sad. It seems like some lead dev is trying to make their own spin on every sequel, instead of continuing with what people liked and changing the unpopular parts.

Edit: i guess making CK3 more appealing for casual gamers, if that is not a too laughable term, was actually a monetary success but Vic3 is completely pointless for both V2 fans and new players.

actually a true victoriahead wants each entry in the series to be a completely different mad model/attempt. That being said, a v2 remastered would go hard

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

I think they should add the americas before china, really flesh out sunset invasion

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

that sounds really loving boring, and I dont even play hoi

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Armenia, my beloved

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

There's a lil amphorae in a couple province management areas that lets you set auto-trade for regions, though its bad at valuing the most feedy food since i had places go into starvation importing livestock instead of grain

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

what's going on fellow byzzies

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

I'm the opposite, in that I lust for more sim elements. Or at least enough to not make things outside of shuffling mans irrelevant/trivial/boring. I will say they're already bringing a bit more to the table than I'd thought in terms of meaningful reboot, which is a promising enough sign.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yeah I'm very unsold on the idea of minutely adjustable sliders for taxation. I just don't see what that would add over a handful of buttons for each taxation class like what Vicky 3 does. that level of fine control may add the illusion of additional depth, but it's not really going to give you more meaningful options, and it'll just waste your time as you fiddle with the sliders to find the perfect balance.

wasting time fiddling with sliders sounds like more time in game, ez design win

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Groke posted:

Head on/off toggle?

perfect use for a slider though

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Franks and yanks sitting in a tree,

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

t,ten? how small are these things

e: a quarter of a regular burger? like an american-sized burger?

you just go and grab two and a half american size burgers?

Just means you can eat more burgs in one sitting while feeling like ur eating less. this is peak innovation

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

If the byzzies wanted respect they should've given respect, their effete ways resulted in...

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

White castle is loving awful btw, never eat there or crystals unless you want food poisoning for the middest food imaginable

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

We found the one hoi3 holdout

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Heirs to Alexander or whatever lets you build mega monuments is pretty key insofar as they are OP as gently caress and lacking access to them makes the game way harder than it otherwise "should" be. I forget the rest since I'm fairly new myself and bought them on a sale bundle lol