Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Darkrenown posted:

I guess you might be waiting for it to be released, but remember there's a big rework of the Random New World generator in progress, so CoP should be more appealing to use/buy when it's done.

It's gonna be so rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Groogy posted:

Get hired by Paradox.

Reminds me, I have to play it more.
Hey, next time you need someone with some scripting, modding and/or management experience for an entry/junior-level position, and feel like it's time to do the extra work needed to hire from outside the EU and figure out work visas, I'm all open. Turns out there's a Swedish consulate just twenty minute's drive away from here.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

If there ever was a WWI thing added on to HOI4, be it as a mod or as DLC in the far distant future, would Imperial Germany count as a democracy or autocracy? Now I'm just wondering how far back you'd have to move the start date to get to a democracy-on-democracy war and am failing miserably at recalling history.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Nah. It's super weird playing a successful game as Germany and then realizing you just led the Nazis to world domination. Yeah, it's a video game, but still, it's weird, and it's just way more comforting to not play as the Nazis and just play as one of their opponents and beat up Nazis instead.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

When I was a kid playing the first Age of Empires, I thought that the "computer" enemies were actually all human players in the employ of Ensemble Studios, and that setting different difficulty levels connected me with players of varying levels of skill. I'd trash talk them with in the in-game chat and call them poopy-head if they were on the opposing side, and thank them if they were fighting alongside me.

What I'm saying is that Paradox needs to hire a literal army of gamers to play as every "AI" faction, to create a truly dynamic playing experience.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

ATI being listed as a graphics card option threw me for a moment. Even though the ATI name is well defunct, is that what you want us to put down if we're using an AMD card?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Please do not use the fasces for countries which don't even pretend to have anything to do with Rome. Furthermore, if you do use the fasces, please do not put it on a elliptical field like you did for some flags in V2, it looks awful. The whole selling point of Fascism is stylish designs after all.

Just use whatever contemporary fascist parties were using? :shrug: Not that tricky to figure out.

Or just incorporate symbols from contemporary stuff if there's no clear-cut "THESE ARE THE BIG FASCISTS" party to nick designs from. I saw somebody make a fascist USA flag for HoI2 once that replaced the stars in the blue canton with the KKK's cross.

I guess it sort of depends on what sort of fascists are being used for various countries-- 'homegrown'/nativist, or puppet party imposed by the Nazis. I'd totally use the KKK as a basis for a more 'homegrown' party, but the Silver Shirts and/or the Bund would fit better with a Nazi-imposed regime.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Wait a minute. So dynamic ideological civil wars are a thing in HoI4, right? You can have a Peruvian Civil War between the fascists and communists and that sort of thing if you shift around ideologically in a bad way. Are all these ideological factions different pre-made tags? If not, how does the game figure out tech teams and generals for Dynamic Communist Australia?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That's because the Nazis already lost WW2, while we can still dream of them returning and conquering Earth in the future!
Can satellites of a planet be considered the home for a people? Can Nazis have a base on the Moon?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Groogy posted:

No, just no. The Roman Empire had its moment, just let it die and rest in peace.
Ah, Victorian Steampunk culture then? A wise move, tapping into that market. Very wise.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Empress Theonora posted:

Paradox should really... like... do something about all of the weird nazis and racists and reactionaries who have taken roost in their official forums.
Pay Something Awful mods to tend after the Paradox forums for a week. :unsmigghh:

Or just be more aggressive with forum moderation in general. Pretty much everyone online has been reminded at some point or another that 1st amendment protections don't apply on internet forums, might as well go ahead and start openly banning Hitler-did-nothing-wrong sorts. It'll be a shitfest on the forums for a period, but the pseudo-Nazis are just really loud and not actually a sizable chunk of the playerbase, right?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Popular Thug Drink posted:

so, thread title: has there been any news about V3
I don't think Nazi superweapons are making it into HoI4, sorry.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Part of the team, yeah. What regional quirk has been misrepresented now?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Popular Thug Drink posted:

it's a great mod, i like it very much. keep up the good work yall :)

some of the city names in north georgia are kind of pulled out of a hat but i mean what the heck it's the future, right
A lot of names in the South in general were picked because I looked at Google Maps and just selected the first towns I found when looking in an area. Or because a Civil War battle was fought there. Or the name sounded neat.

It was an arbitrary process.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

War Plan Red, guys. War Plan Red.

I'm hyped. I've even cancelled cancelling my pre-order.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Groogy posted:

Well I bet they are because as far as I know there are no Swedish fjords. So gonna be pretty accurate I hope.
Just reverse the Communist Norway shown in one of the DDs and there'll be Swedish fjords. :getin:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

If any of you haven't done Paradox's board game poll, here it is: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/VZKLL2N

I hope you remember to mention that Paradox should make a Cold War board game.
Wait, didn't Europa Universalis start as a board game?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/rules-for-user-made-mods-and-edits-of-pds-games.708039/page-37#post-20198916

quote:

Not sure what you want me to comment on, Every one of these questions has been answered time and time again.

No, we have no plans to open the forums wide open.
I never said and no one has ever said that github or any other service could not be used for internal organization or version control. What you cannot do is have it available to the public, this means taking reasonable steps to ensure it is not widely available, such as posting links in the forums, or using the name of the mod or the game in the title, I would suggest something like we use (A project name). If some person goes browsing and happens to find your project, well that is life, You can not be held responsible for that unless you contributed in someway.

Any mod is free to have a webpage or social media, as long as on those pages you do not allow DL links. Or have public forums. The only place you should be able to get your mod is through the automated Steam workshop DL, and through a link on modding sub forums here.

No the grandfathering will not change, Someone already repeated my pets in apartments analogue and although they discount it, it still works for me.

Also: this is thread is about modding rules, please contact Meneth about issues related to the Wiki.
*[emphasis my own]

Okay I've been bellyaching a little lately about some minor actions taken in certain mod threads on the Paradox forums, but for the love of God can someone please talk to the community managers. Please?

Mods shared on the Paradox forums not only can't share a Github link, they can't use the name of the mod for the Git project itself. I can't even fully express how dumb this ruling is on the forums itself because forum rule 2 states "You will not argue with, comment on or question the actions/authority/ or comments of the Paradox staff (Administrators, Moderators, etc.) in a public forum" (presumably in the Paradox forums alone, if I get dinged there for what I say here then Lord Almighty), so I'm just angrily fuming at the whole thing.

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Nov 12, 2015

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

zedprime posted:

e. Its an aspect of their strategy of mods as soft DRM, which I think might come from on high from Johan so you're probably saddled with it if you want to play in their official ecosystem. I'd probably take the angle of bellyaching for a modder's repository hosted by Paradox. They are really married to the whole idea of community as soft DRM so I'd doubt they'd budge on external stuff, but could be guilted into making the tools available on their terms.
I still dispute the idea that Github is a potential external portal. All the discussions can be closed down, all comments locked, any path to fostering a community outside the official forums can be shut down quite easily on Github. There's the matter of still being able to Google the mod and finding a download link that way, but that's easily done for mods not hosted on Github as well. Thus, the only interaction non-devs have with it is the download button, and then it's functionally the same to them as a mediafire link, but still incredibly, incredibly useful and convenient for people actively working on the mod.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Kavak posted:

Who is he referring to with the grandfathering?
Some mods host their files on Moddb. Elder Kings, I think?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Kavak posted:

I imagine Kaiserreich is covered under that as well, though I wonder if HoI IV will change that (We'll host that version on Steam if we have to)
Ah, but the Kaiserreich forums are clearly only for internal development purposes and certainly do not provide any download links, of course.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Kavak posted:

Yes, and all download links are to Paradox-approved sites (MEGA, Mediafire, etc.)
Hey wait a minute, you guys have a moddb link too!

Which coincidentally is a link I discovered on the Paradox forums and certainly wasn't something I was able to find on the internal development-only Kaiserreich forums as a guest.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I have been waiting on tenterhooks for an email.

I appreciate the update.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Aw man, my application for paid QA tester was declined, too. :(

Job hunting right now sucks. Sweep me away to Stockholm, pls paradox

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Jack the Stripper posted:

About to buy a new laptop, an 840m nvidia graphics card combined with a 5th gen i5 processor should have no problem running EU4, right?
I've got a wheezing desktop computer with a radeon 6800 and a 7-year-old intel core 2 duo, and it does a solid job of running EU4. Pretty much any laptop with an iota of graphical processing power will be able to handle the game.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

So any two factions within a country can trigger a civil war, then? Neutral-on-Democratic, even, if the conditions are right?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

It would be cool if they had a bunch of potential break-away states in the game so that future civil wars could go along those lines. So like texas could break away, not because of "fascism" but "texan independence". It would have its own flag and such ready to go within the game. Cascadia, new england, Quebec, so many good potentials and that's just NA.
I don't know about HoI3, but HoI2 and Darkest Hour had the CSA, Texas and California as potential states. Revolters not present on the map at game start have been in the Hearts of Iron series for a while now. Tying that in to the civil war system so it's not just PROV1234 REBEL_TYPE farting around on a couple of provs would be neat, but breakaway states and such have totally been a thing.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Kavak posted:

He's just quoting a Paradox forums poster.

Kaiserreich doesn't even get mentioned until Page 2, for shame. Then again I loving hate the ACW and would be glad to see it purged altogether, despite my love of the Combined Syndicates and Pacific States, so I'm conflicted.
Redo the entire ACW so it results in Crimson Skies' America imo.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Write an event which, when triggered, will play the theme to MST3K.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

2200 start is bullshit they'll probably add a 2133 start in an expansion.
If they ever pushed the start date back with DLC as far back as Charlemagne is from the vanilla start in CK2, then Stellaris would have an alternate early start in... 1903.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Given that Stellaris is a space game, I think it's only logical that the game use a calendar based upon astronomy. Perhaps it could use some dating system based upon the movements of the moon, some sort of lunar calendar.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

There's a mod for that. By someone who literally believes that to have been the case in real life.
Patrick Stewart narrated that one documentary! I saw it on the TV!!

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I'm looking forward to the "living planet" Stellaris dlc.

Also looking forward to the Flash-Gordon-rayguns-and-1930s-scifi graphical dlc. Totally gonna spend steambux on that.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Has anybody done any V2 today since the beta rolled out? I've sputtered along three different starts (USA, USA and Netherlands), and I've noticed Sweden and Russia going to war in the 1830s in all three games. That didn't happen before, did it?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Let's see if I can reach 4000 by Springtime. :toot:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

YF-23 posted:

Observer mode games don't count, your play hours are inflated. :colbert:
It's not all observer mode, I sometimes just have the game paused for hours on end while I flip between the scenario and some landed_titles file or whatever.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Spaceships look cool and I want my spaceships to look the coolest.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

RabidWeasel posted:

What I'm saying is where's my loving Senate / Parliament / Council / etc. in EU4 Wiz :argh:
Saying "senate" in the context of Paradox games probably causes Wiz to blankly stare into the distance, his face unreadable. A single tear rolls down his cheek.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

I hope they scrap both games and merge them into a seemless WW2 to Space game so they can release it at the same time as one product!
That's how it all began, wasn't it? Werner von Braun aimed for the stars and hit London.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Cynic Jester posted:

Thankful I built that Wizards tower, I needed some more manamana.