Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Release a dinosaur portraits pack for CK2* and I will pay all my monies.

*or dinosaur portraits/units pack for EU4, or dinosaurs for V2, or, or

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Alikchi posted:

I'm really excited to mod HoI4 to death.
In anticipation of excessive HoI4 modding I've already built up a collection of something like 4500 images which can hopefully be used as leader/minister portraits for alternate/fictional countries. They should all be sufficiently hi-res enough, I think.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Koramei posted:

You probably don't need very high res pictures.
For some nations that's pretty easy to do, but (for example) it was pretty hard to get a decent number of Native Hawaiian/Tahitian/Polynesian portrait-ish photos that could work for early 20th century ministers and leaders, especially ones large enough to work for the game. There's a lot of old websites out there with articles and photos about all sorts of peoples and eras and such, but they're formatted for screen resolutions from a decade ago so there's a lot of images like

out there, which if you cropped those faces down to something portrait-ish would probably be too small.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Koramei posted:

It's always gonna look at odds with the other portraits since it's a photo rather than a drawing (not to mention monocolour), cropping them so it isn't just their face wouldn't be that weird relatively I don't think.
I was just figuring that I'd replace every portrait with monochrome photos, just to be consistent.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Going from Kaiserreich:

Fascist: Lindbergh, Father Coughlin... Huey Long if not killed?

Communist: Max Shachtman, William Z. Foster, Earl Browder?
Lindbergh was a Paternal Autocrat head of state in HoI2/DH. Maybe he'll be the leader of the neutral US faction? Load that group up with America First figures and you'd have a pretty solid set of ministers to work with for that. Huey Long would also probably fit better as a neutral figure than an outright fascist one.*

If you want an outright fascist lineup, just stuff that group with Klansmen and members of the Bund and you're pretty well set. Scatter in Silvershirts for good measure.

*e: Except Long historically died in '35, of course.

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 18, 2016

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

So that's where all the mana mechanics came from. :argh:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Fintilgin posted:

Post unpatched, no expansion EU3 1.0 for full effect, please.

Oldest one I got is a few patches in, since Austria was colorchanged to white, but it's the best I got:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Autonomous Monster posted:

I think this is probably a mod. I don't think France has ever been Bleu de France in vanilla.

It looks like that when I load up the game without HttT or DW. :shrug:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Freudian posted:

Pluralisation implies there's more than one.
Johan was created by mitosis.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

No Manchukuo? But how am I supposed to lead the Qing restoration then? :(

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Empress Theonora posted:

I believe they mentioned somewhere that just making Manchukuo directly controlled by Japan led to the Japan AI behaving much more rationally, or something.

The cancelling of my preorder cancellation has been cancelled.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Mans posted:

What possible advantage would a German player have in supporting Japan instead of China.
A navy?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah so far most of the aliens I've seen all suffer from the scify trope of "a human actor with a rubber mask could play this alien". Would love to see more alien body types. I know they probably have just a few general body shapes in order for the clothing system, but seeing the same generally-human shoulders/bust in most of the race screens feels like a rubber mask party.

Hell of a rubber mask, imo.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Fintilgin posted:

Paradox facebook said it's NOT White Wolf related, so no Bloodlines 2. :smith:
They can say that, and yet just a short while ago they were looking to hire an editor explicitly and specifically for dealing with White Wolf material. They're up to something, I tells ya.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Orv posted:

loving stop this Paradox.
It's GDC, not E3. That film has gotta make other devs in the audience feel good too, right?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

They hosed up the URL and accidentally omitted the 'k' in 'magicka'. It's magickacardgame.com, not magicacardgame.com.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Johan calm down, you're fidgeting like hell whenever Mr. Wester's talking.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Puella Magissima posted:

Man I'm going to be out of the country for June and most of May. Why are you doing this to me paradox :(
April and May for me. Suddenly all those travel plans just seem like agony, rather than a delightful vacation.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I want to know what the Luxembourg tree is going to end up like.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Darkrenown posted:

If Valve can make a stupid clicker game then so can we, damnit! :colbert:
Valve's clicker let you automate and accumulate stuff while afk, though. That's my main issue with this.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Augh god, I almost want to crack open HoI4 and Stellaris more than I want to actually play them, just to see how all the bits work together. Actual modders are only a very small slice of the total playerbase, but... is there any stuff that talks more about neat things that can be done with modding? Or, like, the raw text form of a hypothetical national tree or an example entry for a minister or how to add in new techs to Stellaris or, or, or

There oughta be Modder Mondays that focus on that sort of thing. Even if it isn't talking about moddable features in upcoming titles, time could be spent doing workshops on modding for beginners or something, take the opportunity to highlight the internal accessibility of the games and all that.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

LordMune posted:

Please don't look. I don't want to have to clean up my scripts and make them presentable. :negative:
Your formatting will be fine, it's all cool. :) I've poked at the innards of Paradox games for something like nine years now, your scripts will be readable even if they're all on one line. Plus no matter how awkward you feel about it, that work will be perused by an army of modders once the game is actually released.

quote:

This is something I've been thinking about. Any such decision would be completely out of my hands and I suspect we're all much too busy with important things for this to be a realistic prospect, but it's more likely to happen in the near future now than it's ever been.
It'd be super-useful stuff as an introduction to interested players, at least. Right now, modding is learned through a weird process of referencing the Wikis, asking general questions in the User Modification subforums and a hell of a lot of trial and error; a proper, official series of some sort would do wonders for making learning how to mod a lot less arcane.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Jabor posted:

But going back to my post at the top of this page, a big part of what makes that feel interesting is that it's the same way every game - you always have to deal with France's big blue blob, England always gets an annoyingly good navy, and so on. If that was all randomised, and different every time, then having something be "France" or "England" or "Ulm" is meaningless randomization instead of being a coherent identity.
Have you played with total random nations much? Even with France and England gone, inevitably something like France and England shows up and takes on the same roles, even if it doesn't have the FRA or ENG tag. The Big Continental Power emerges, the Aloof Island Nation fucks around; even without historical nations present, historical roles are still filled by someone.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Yeah, how am I supposed to cancel my pre-order if I can't place one yet?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Fascist Britain that hasn't outright overthrown the monarchy? For some reason I always assumed Mosley and the BUF were anti-monarchist, or at least keen to sideline the monarchy into absolute uselessness.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

The Narrator posted:

I could see British fascism making use of the monarchy as a figurehead, being symbolic of the glory of the British empire after all. Edward VIII was also rumoured to have Nazi sympathies, so perhaps in a fascist Britain scenario, he would be used as a public face of British fascism.
Heads of state are kind of nebulously used though. I don't recall Mikhail Kalinin appearing in the Soviet minister lineup for HoI4, although I could be totally mistaken about that and I'm way too lazy to double-check right now.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

VostokProgram posted:

Specifically Kaiserreich, which has a lot more variation in what can happen compared to the vanilla game.
Worth noting that Kaiserreich is an alternate scenario where Germany won WWI and France went communist syndicalist.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Hahaha what, there's a CK2 hip flask for sale?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

UrbicaMortis posted:

If you don't play the GoT mod as Robert while smashed out of your mind so as to accurately roleplay him, I don't know what to tell you.
I take shots of slivovitz, try to take over Byzantium as the Serbs and shitpost about Turks anonymously on the internet.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Kavak posted:

Wasn't one of the successful entries some Communism-obsessed teenager one goon knew IRL? Or did that one mercifully get rejected?

iirc our very our Gorgo Primus won with a self-entry as a Spanish minister.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Bel Monte posted:

But basically, this game started more ambitious, taking a little of almost all the other paradox main titles.

[...]

But that's why you'd see some of the EvW dev's say how excited they were to have the project moved under Paradox Publishing's wing. It meant the freedom to have game mechanics the way they wanted them, within reason, without it being shot down months after being approved for it... But by then I really think it was too late. The project was way over time and it was pretty much out of money.
I don't mean to diss on the EvW crew, but "taking a little of almost all the other Paradox main titles" and tying it all together into a single game (along with new features, like the ship design) in a new setting sounds quite ambitious, even if Paradox's in-house crew had attempted it themselves. The belated nixing of components sounds like it certainly did not help the game's development, but EvW even when it was being developed sounded like it had a heaping of ambition.

The game owed a lot to HoI3 in terms of what it was built on, from what it seemed like. How would a Victoria-esque economy even have meshed with HoI3 anyways?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Judging by the counters, it looks as if the Soviets marched all the way to the Rhine in that test game- and yet there's a rump 'Slovak Republic', which doesn't really sound like a Communist name for Slovakia*, and Czechoslovakia itself exists and yet doesn't have any part of Slovakia itself. There's also Yugoslavia in Croatia and Bosnia while a Serbian Republic controls Serbia and Slovenia.

Just how does the AI decide who to release, how much control do they have over their puppets and can they elect to release-puppet only certain portions of a potential country rather than the whole thing? Those are some funky borders and I really want to know how that all worked out.

*e: wait gently caress that's what fascist slovakia was actually called

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Mar 22, 2016

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

If I'm not in the German market, can I still enable Shadow Hitler anyways? And can there also be a special portrait of Stalin with one wing and a scythe?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Espionage-related techs will be unlocked with a build-a-cipher/bombe minigame. The collector's edition of HoI4 will include actual rotors for you to build your own enigma machine with!

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I'm more concerned about the models than the counters-- have we seen any close shots yet of the German infantry models on the map? I'm really hoping Paradox wasn't sloppy and accidentally gave the '36 infantry M40 or- God forbid!- M43 Wehrmacht uniforms.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I'm still hoping that Paradox gets a deal with Harry Turtledove, so I can play all those books I read when I was a teen:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

The And You Are Lynching Negroes Project: This mod provides flavorful events for the American internment of Japanese-American citizens and segregation laws in the US, the Sétif massacre in French Algeria, the construction of camps in British Cyprus in the event of UK victory, and other crimes of the Allied powers. Why are you asking for similar events shaming players of Axis countries? This mod is specifically meant to show that the Allied countries were no angels themselves, I don't see what's wrong with that.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Angry Salami posted:

Wasn't the Rape of Nanking event just an event for the US that moved it towards intervention? It wasn't, like, a decision you made when playing as Japan. The equivalent would be, I don't know, if the Allies and Soviets sometimes got an "Atrocities Revealed" effect that boosted their national unity when advancing through German territory. I think that'd be tasteful enough, and probably not what the creepy fucks at the Paradox forums would want...
That actually sounds like a pretty good way to be more forthright with the issue, without letting anyone press a 'genocide' button while they have Osprey Publishing's Men-at-Arms 401- The Waffen SS (1) and a tissue box at hand.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

That's just what they want you to think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Randarkman posted:

It might be harder for Franz Ferdinand doing this than just deciding to do it. The emperor's power was not absolute and he was dependent on the acquiescence of local elites and political institutions, easing relations with Serbia and dampening nationalist tensions in the Empire would likely have meant extending political power and representation to Slavs. This would have meant getting on a collision course with Hungarian interests in the Empire who were determined not to extend political representation otuside the Hungarian ruling class with the kingdom of Hungary. Franz Ferdinand might well have done something in Bosnia for Serbs and Croats like had already been done for Czechs within Austria, but trying to go any further with it would seriously endanger the unity of the empire by antagonizing the Hungarians who controlled most of it.
Isn't that something that Franz Ferdinand almost actually wanted? The dude hated the power of the Hungarian nobility and how it kept fouling up the works of the imperial machinery. His proposals for federalization and improving the status of the empire's Slavs was mostly due to him latching onto anything that would upset the Magyars more.