Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

English is so widespread in Stockholm that I occasionally feel embarrassed. The only time Swedish is necessary is when you start getting sent bills and translations aren't provided, and the Swedish needed for that is something that goes far beyond the beginner's Hej, Tack, and Fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

A super-aeolipile wouldn't be enough to get an Industrial Revolution going in antiquity, regardless. Metallurgy aside, the institutional and financial tools to get industrialists gleefully building factories left and right wasn't there. There's no joint-stock companies to raise capital quickly, no papermaking to spam the documents you need to keep a business organized (and no cheap paper also means it's more costly to propagate scientific findings), no printing press, no double-entry bookkeeping, no patents, and a plethora of other institutional innovations, which together mean there simply wasn't enough to start the boom we associate with the Industrial Revolution.

In fact, if I want to overdo the argument, I'd go so far as to say the steam engine wasn't even necessary for an industrial revolution. Imagine a Greco-Roman manufacturing explosion based upon a thousand waterwheels and a complex canal network. Imagine.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

The aeolipile does set me off, tbh. I used to post on alternate history sites, and people just took one look at the aeolipile and ran with it to ridiculous lengths. I sorta just had a flashback to that and started posting.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Make an alternate history scenario where the German Coast Uprising escalated and the War of 1812 ends with the British backing a freshly-independent ex-slave-run Louisiana to spite the Americans.