Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
so, thread title: has there been any news about V3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ofaloaf posted:

I don't think Nazi superweapons are making it into HoI4, sorry.

aren't you the guy that does the after the end mod

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ofaloaf posted:

Part of the team, yeah. What regional quirk has been misrepresented now?

it's a great mod, i like it very much. keep up the good work yall :)

some of the city names in north georgia are kind of pulled out of a hat but i mean what the heck it's the future, right

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i managed to create the tuskegan kingdom of dixieland and overthrow the columbian confederacy from within, that was fun

also new york and san francisco are fun to play

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
my vicky 2 experience

start as USCA, figure out how to beat the inital revolt. maintain unity. change tax policy and attract capitalists. very slowly tend to the needs of the capitalists as they drop out for lack of education or whatever. try to give them money. watch as they slowly accumulate funds. good, good soon we will have our first factory, our industrialization will be slow but mighty and the armies of central america wi- what the gently caress, a glass factory? i dont even have coal you sons of bitches. gently caress it, 100% taxes on the rich

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Baronjutter posted:

I really need to check this out.

i haven't played vanilla ck2 in years, after the end is all i play. it probably matters more if you're a north american and you're disconnected from european history and geography anyway

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
the civil war is pretty pointless in vicky 2 simply because you can disband all your dixie culture units and station your ethnic northern armies in key southern cities on the verge of war. it's better to hit the gas on the war and try to get it over with asap so you can spend additional years industrializing

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I can't help but wonder now if this would have worked in real life, too.

if there was an invisible intelligence pouring money from heaven into abolitionist groups, absolutely

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
what's the consensus on surviving mars? paradox published tropico on mars, it could be decent.... right?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

I’m pretty hype for it, I like extracting resources and moving them around to build even more poo poo to extract resources. I’m a little skeptical about the control you have over moving the poo poo around on the map, since it looks to be up to a bunch of cute little drones to decide what to do. Kind of gives a dwarf fortress vibe to me in that respect, stockpile management. Drone fortress.

it's the same developer as the recent tropico games so probably you have to wait for the drones to move stuff like tropico teamsters

Anime_Otaku posted:

Investors been watching Marbozir playing Surviving Mars on YouTube and am intrigued, but I’m wondering if anyone knows how it handles on Xbox?

tropico was released cross platform and worked pretty well iirc so i dont think there will be problems with this one

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Anime_Otaku posted:

Now you mention that, I have been looking at a review on YT that’s talking about a bunch of irritating things that Tropico didn’t have/were fixed and have found the complete edition of Tropico 5 for the same price as the Surviving Mars base game. I’m kinda tempted to grab it.

ehhhhhh no

tropico 5 is, different, from 3/4 (4 is really just a fancified xpac of 3) and it has Problems. plus the DLC are goofy, if you like goofy city builders with overpowered gimmick buildings than go for it but imo trop 4 modern times is still the best of the modern versions (original tropico still the best tho)

like trop 5 isn't a bad game necessarily but it's also not really great and idk if it's worth paying full price for the base game or any price for the dlc

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ms Adequate posted:

Ugh I do want Surviving Mars but that's a little pricier than I can afford right now.

Oh well guess I'll hold off for a few months.

probably a safe bet, paradox games often have issues at launch and haemimont games often have like a dozen planned dlc with a sale on the base game in a few months

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Baronjutter posted:

It's not a paradox made game though, they just publishing it, so you probably won't get the "well this game has potential, but it will need a couple years worth of DLC with major re-designs before it can really be called good" of a lot of paradox-developed titles.

talking more like, paradox qa as well as encouraging the dlc business model - haemimont already puts out a ton of dlc but it's all bad dlc, where as paradox dlc is rarely outright bad vs. just doesn't fit someone's playstyle, so paradox could have coached haemimont on how to make better dlc

like, the first dlc for tropico 5 was... a cheese factory, a scenario related to cheese production, and a chef's hat. five bucks

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

double nine posted:

I remember playing tropico 4 or 5 at max speed almost all of the time, unless I specifically wanted/needed time to be slow (following an npc schedule or during military engagements mostly). So the pacing thing might be because of a particular design quirk by haemimont games.

they really like slow paced games where you can zoom in and follow the agents around. like you can poke around and see your tiny colonists doing their jobs in the buildings, which most people will never notice at max zoom out and max speed

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Crazycryodude posted:

Beyond that, the worker assignment AI is super broken, my botanists are working in the mine and my geologists are working at the farm. You can manually assign people to jobs that match their specialties but it's already hell having to manage 30 people,

you aren't supposed to do this btw. the worker distribution algorithm is to ensure coverage in all of your available shifts, not to match the best worker for the job. it gets especially wonky when you have a big mismatch between jobs and colonists but gets better when you have more colonists to spread around. so much of this game is a complete sandtrap for min/maxers and people who want to ruthlessly optimize everything. just turn on the red frontier radio station and focus on expanding, your colonists will be fine

Crazycryodude posted:

I'm a few hours in with about 40 colonists in 2 basic domes and the game is over. I have everything I need. I've successfully Survived Mars. I could build some more domes, but why? So I can have two polymer factories instead of one? I don't need more polymers. I don't need anything. There's only expansion for the sake of expansion and making my numbers bigger.

this game is a city builder at heart, just with some weird sci fi twists. this is like saying "i've put down some residential, some commercial, some industrial, i have utilities, my tax revenue is going up. i have successfully Sim City'd"

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Crazycryodude posted:

I disagree. With the idea that good cuitybuilders end like this, I mean. Cities: Skylines is one of my favorite games of all time and I have like 500 hours in it, I love city builders. Surviving Mars certainly wants to be a city builder, but it's terrible at it. There's nothing to build. In Sim City or C:S there's always something you don't have that needs doing. People are angrily tweeting at me about missing needs, or that part of town I built at the start when I was broke needs to be redeveloped with proper emergency coverage, or I need to rework the public transit system, or a million other things. I'm not feeling that on Mars.

to be fair, you admitted that you stopped playing in the very early game. like you never got to the point where you were juggling all the citizen needs like you describe doing here in other games

i'm not trying to convince you to pick the game back up or anything, you do you, i just dont get your criticism here and i think a lot of the criticism this game is getting is because it's a bit genre dissonant

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Fintilgin posted:

Realistic colonization would be less of a city builder and more of a small scale game like Rimworld.

there's a mars mod for rimworld that was kind of decent but hard as gently caress

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

Guys I accidentally got someone to buy Victoria 2. What is my punishment for this horrible crime?

teaching them how to play it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

The Deleter posted:

So I downloaded this, opened it up, looked at the screen and then closed the game again. I have absolutely no idea what my first moves even are, let alone what my end goals should be. How do I even interact with anything? And I'm coming off of Stellaris so I understand the open-ended nature of these kinds of games, but the tutorial pop ups don't even walk you through basic interactions. What do I do? What are the good beginner's guides for this kind of thing?

there are two things you need to remember that set ck2 apart from other paradox games

you play as a person, and as a dynasty, not as the disembodied national spirit of government

feudalism is all about personal relationships between liege and vassal

aside from that the map painting is similar, it's just that you'll often have to give up portions of the map to others. think about the stellaris sector mechanic except, you're forced to have them from day one, and also sometimes your sector governor might rebel, or invite you to a drinking contest, or try to gently caress your wife