Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

:siren: Paradox Publisher Weekend on Steam. Lasts from October 1 to October 5 :siren:

The discounts are going as high as 80% for some games and bundles. Grab your DLCs and any games that haven't been brought yet while you still can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Naval doomstacks was pretty much how things worked out in real life though. :v:

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

I guess it was too much to expect Rule the Waves in space with regards to the ship designer. Although I guess implementing events like building ten death stars or lose prestige would be easy enough to implement.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Arrath posted:

The question of "what happens to a Federation navy when the federation dissolves" is a pretty interesting one, kinda more so because they're built with the best tech available from all members. If the last member got to keep the whole navy, or even if it were parceled out as it all falls apart, it could potentially be a way for backwards/behind empires to get shiny new toys and maybe even the playing field a bit.

Or maybe a Federation is such a monolithic polity it'll be impossible to leave once you're in one. One of us, one of us.

A fun option would be to have them go rogue and go take over a nearby system or two and create a new nation out of that.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Dreylad posted:

- It's really hard to terraform a planet, and the dev says he hates game where the player owns every single planet in every single solar system the end of the game. "So every planet should be precious and unique."

This sounds like an interesting project to undertake as the game goes on: terraforming every world in your home system to be habitable planets your home POPs can colonize.

This may lead into players colonizing and conducting imperialist wars just to feed resources into their home system but drat your home system will be amazing.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

az posted:

WWW is on right now and I love the looting equipment mechanic. Using Czech tanks to fill in tank divisions is neat as hell and I hope they'll let us liberate enemy ships too :getin:

Japan looted quite a lot of boats for their merchant marine (which US subs and planes promptly sent to Davie Jones' Locker :v:) and even had some British, Dutch, and American destroyers commissioned in their navy. The captured American four-stacker being in the drink for a year didn't stop them from raising and restoring it to use for hunting submarines.

Danann fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 27, 2016

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

It would be nice if we can spend Peace Conference points on seizing equipment and warships instead of just being able to spend on it territory. Maybe give research bonuses for seizing equipment that you don't have researched. Say for example, Greece seizes an intact Yamato and a Shimakaze-class for some reason, it allows Greece to start researching Superheavy Battleships 2 and Destroyer IV at a discount so they can kickstart their navy.

One can even go whole hog and make it so that it's possible to seize technology and industry. This would allow for minors to boost their armed forces and maybe even go over the building slot cap without having to conquer territory. Plus it would allow the AI to use its points on something that's not taking over land.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

The weather uniforms and sniper rifles are stuffed in a tab that you don't really bother with except for when you're running out of non-out-of-timeline tech to research and have already exhausted the tech boosts. The vanilla techs got a lot of expansion so it's possible to dig deep into them and still not have to bother with that tab.

The more broken stuff is probably the experimental tech tab where you can get absurd stuff like a flat +10 ORG to infantry and infantry variants only about two techs in all the while stacking 25% research bonuses from other techs in the tab.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Every time you tinker with ship design, it opens up Rule the Waves.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

This is how the "Death by paperclip maximizer" robopocalypse scenario that LessWrong Wiki people handwring about ends up happening, isn't it?

It will turn out that the videogame industry, not the MIC, will be responsible for creating Skynet and unleashing it on the world.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Agean90 posted:

for vicky 3 it should have 20 different economic models that are picked randomly at the start of the game to fully simulate the fog associated with economics

quote:

Patch 8 Changelog
Bug Fixes
* National economy will now expand properly in a Trickle Down economic paradigm.
* Fixed overflow error where Capitalist pops will support Communism in TD paradigm.
* Fixed bug where Capitalist pops will not spend money in TD paradigm.

Patch 14 Changelog
Bug Fixes
* AI should no longer go into death spiral where it keeps lowering taxes for no reason.
* AI budget planner will now cut military spending if it has a deficit.

Beta Patch 40 Changelog
Bug Fixes

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

I somehow managed to avoid the Civil War in a multiplayer session with my friend by passing all the political reforms as well as social reforms. This of course includes proportional representation, universal healthcare, pensions, public education, and unemployment insurance. By the time I had those, I could force through the No Slavery reform.

Mind, I was trying to force the Civil War and I was making free states as well picking the abolitionist positions.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Prav posted:

the more you research down the financial line the more details you uncover about one of the systems. but not necessarily the one your current game is running.

Nah it will actually be about researching new ways of taxation, starting from tariffs to income and all the way down into wealth taxes.

And then you have to fight to keep the libertarian party/coalition from dismantling your tax reforms. :unsmigghh:

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

420 Gank Mid posted:

My economy is tanking because airship maintenence is through the roof and I need more steel production but my supervillain pops keep building nothing tesla coil, cogwheel, and monocle factories!

e: If I had known alchemists would eventually invent the elixer of life for themselves I never would have given them retirement pensions

How are your factories not fully populated by skeletons now? The skeletal remains good should have already tanked in price a decade or two earlier which means easy skeletons for you.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Sky Shadowing posted:

I have a feeling they're flipping their poo poo about the introduction of points/"mana" ala EU4, right?

Honestly when Vic3 does come out it will probably have points. That's probably what they're freaking out about more than anything, that points are here to stay and won't vanish into the ether.

Obviously Vic3 will have pop points where pops have their own pool of points which can be used for various activities such as building factories, supporting insurgencies, or joining political parties. The caveat here is that the player can't direct how the pops will spend their points at all, just influence it at best.

Just have to fix that annoying bug where the capitalists keep trying to elect a 0/0/0 Fascist just because the liberal party does a social reform. :v:

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Mantis42 posted:

Tbf a Cold War game where you invest a ton of time and resources in a military you can never use would be accurate.

It would be even more Cold War as hell if you built up a super cool military only to get trashed by some guys on Toyotas in the desert.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

paradox should make mobile grand strategy games instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Clipper factory simulator where you get to produce all the world's clippers long after the steamer has been in use.