Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

PleasingFungus posted:

Hm, I can't find it again now that I'm looking. I see the line you mean:

But I'm very confused about what the point of a plan is, if you can just override it with manual orders at no penalty. I guess it'd just be a 'charging up' period of forced inactivity before an offensive, but the lines you drew on the map wouldn't actually mean anything? Seems a little underwhelming...

According to the DD, it seems that manually controlling the entire campaign would be horribly impractical and complicated. The arrows and lines you draw tell the AI where it should move, and where to form up battle fronts. You can override these plans if you see cases where a diverted group could force an encirclement or close a vulnerability, but you are then probably going to be returning control to the automation at which point it will continue following the arrows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Rakthar posted:

Every forum ever.txt.

If you disagree with someone you are doing like the worst thing in the world and are so loving maaaaaaaaaaaaaad, why are you starting poo poo bro?

That's stupid and wrong, why don't you go take your forums-equivalence bullshit nonsense somewhere else? Skeleton warriors like you ruin everything

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Guildencrantz posted:

Stellaris release date got announced today like three days ago!

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Or they could just already be included in artillery and support weapons. You don't have to select the type of shells each gun or mortar is firing, so just assume that some portion of the mortars and artillery are firing chemical weapons or not. It probably wouldn't make a huge difference given that they weren't that widely used. Does the game model artillery firing smoke bombardments? I honestly don't know that one, but if you're wanting to include some sort of gaseous product fired from support weapons that depends on wind patterns but can be very impactful, you should start there. (Don't actually start there. This game does not need to be that granular)

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

They could probably just drop the word "Effort" from these focuses, since they something like 90% of them end in "Effort", give or take a number. Armament III has just as much meaning as Armament Effort III, and it's just weird seeing the same word repeated everywhere

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Pony War - This mod replaces all portraits with original characters fitting the My Little Pony universe, and edits all flavor text for leaders, ministers and research teams. Nukes have been renamed to "Friendship"

Anime Skies - All in-game airplane models are now Strike Witches. I have provided two versions of the mod, one with underwear and one without.

Fleet Girls - All in-game ship models are now moe anime girls. The sound effect for firing weapons has been replaced by various sexual noises.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Tuskin38 posted:

When did they say that? I didn't hear it

It was near the end. He mentioned Hungary as an example, but emphasized this is in no way a promise or statement of intent, just a "we'll see if we can get this in there if there's time maybe"

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Any time you are about to win an encirclement, there is a 50% chance that the units will be reassigned and the attack called off. The player cannot stop this.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Also Paradox gimme options to play as good guy Nippon and just liberate colonies as my puppet/allied nations and make the Greater East Asian Co Prosperity Sphere an alliance of its own instead of being a big imperialist rear end in a top hat

You can actually do this though. Ignore China and wage war on the colonial powers after grabbing the focus that forms your own faction. One of the prizes you can demand from winning is creating allied puppets from seized territory, who automatically join your faction.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Oberleutnant posted:

What's traditionally the HoI equivalent of Tutorial Island?

Spain would actually be a good one. You get an early war to learn how that all works, and you could try to join either the Axis or Allies and see how you influence the early stages of the war. Once France falls, quit out and pick a major player since the tutorial is over.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Is there at least a delay so its not immediate? I assume yes, but you never know...

Captured factories follow the same ramping up procedure as other factories. They start off very, very slow and build up to full efficiency over time. However, there are two other obstacles to taking over factories from the enemy. First, infrastructure damage. You've been fighting here for probably a long time, the factories are almost certainly damaged and need to be repaired before they can be used. Second, resistance movements will penalize or damage factories in areas with partisan activity, so get some MPs out there to patrol.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Crash74 posted:

It would be cool if you managed to capture an enemy factory intact you could produce what was being built there. the 38(t) for example.

Eh, everyone's Tanks are exactly the same, so it's not like there's any advantage to producing 38(t) specifically. Unless it's something you don't have the tech for, in which case you probably wouldn't have the tech for the full supply chain anyway.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

The problem is that Daniel really doesn't like battleplans, at least beyond "keep everyone moving thataway, I'll handle the rest". He talked about what he likes to do, which is have an infantry front wave push forward and a bunch of tanks to micro exploit the gaps. As a result, his plans are all one, MAYBE two big fronts to push that he then micros to hell and back.

This doesn't mean that battleplans are bad or don't work, but it does mean that Daniel isn't the one to show them off. I could see a Germany player creating a Polish Invasion battleplan that pushes to the river, then group 2 sweeps up through that plains gap in the south, or a French invasion plan that involves staging through the low countries. Or Operation Barbarossa, which you can bet I'm not trying to manage myself. I hate controlling the Eastern Front so much, you guys.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

I'm liking the idea of a Multiplayer focused dev diary, if there are any cool multiplayer features to show off, or new steps this game makes that are improvements to multiplayer over other games or whatnot

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Groogy posted:

nah changing in the settings file should be fine, I mean at most you might get that the graphics card can't optimize some things but since this isn't the latest iteration of Call of Duty or so it doesn't really matter.

hmmmm.... it's a shame you can't add sound files to diplomatic responses (I think). While you could mod an AI personality to be "Screaming 14 year old with headset", it's not the same without that breaking, pubescent voice attached telling you what he's going to do to you and your mother's pet fish.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

But why Poland? Do you really need a focus tree and unique models to spend three years building up and then get smashed by Germany and the Soviet Union? I mean, I know it's possible to survive as Poland but how many people are going to actually do that? Why not China or something?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Cross the streams. Add Pontus.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Koramei posted:

e: also aside from China, Poland seems like one of the most relevant countries to include, who else would you guys suggest?

Yeah, that's fair. It was just a sort of surprise reaction, but it does make sense once I think about it. I'd still prefer China, or possibly Hungary, but Poland isn't as weird as I thought at first.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

COOL CORN posted:

"She slid her hand down to her as he pulled out his throbbing "

(I put way too much thought into which symbols to use)

This book is rated three infantry units

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Sheep posted:

Why-don't-we-have-Rome-II thread.

As a Total War fan, I'm here to warn you: be careful what you wish for.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Here's a little inspiration for V3, allowing more variety in terms of politics while keeping the symmetry. Feel free to use it. :)

But why do Communists get a bonus to slavery? Also, the Scientific bonus is nearly useless due to how Research Grants work

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

GrossMurpel posted:

My empire is fanatic hitler mustache communists.

Is that what it is? I don't recognize all of these symbols, to be honest. Something vs Anarchist, Arrows vs Hitlers Pacifist vs Jingoist?Militarist? Communist vs Capitalist, Science vs Faith?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Dibujante posted:

"Except for the ways in which X differs from Y, X is the same as Y" is a statement that contains zero information.

But the statements so far have also included the size of (X-Y), which is useful information. "Other than a few pixels, the images are the same" conveys a very different meaning than "Other than the shape of the face, color of the eyes, clothing, background, body type and actions depicted, the images are the same". The set of meaningful differences between Stellaris and other Space 4X games is not very large.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Kersch posted:

One sure-fire way to get me to instantly puke is to say "espionage DLC"

Honestly, I'd be fine with espionage just being revealing battle plans, after some patch work to make battle plans more powerful and easy to use. It would be neat to be able to go through the extensive misdirection the Allies did to keep d-day a secret

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

karmicknight posted:

So Groogy's been tasked with making a HOI4 -> Stellaris converter

It wouldn't even be that hard! You'd just need them to type in what name their nation took on when becoming spacefaring, select a good space-age flag for them in case it's changed in the last few thousand years, select some ethos traits that the player feels best represents their government type since that's so subjective. You'd probably need to select which traits mark the baseline Human in this galaxy too, since that information wouldn't be in the HoI 4 save. Then just select a few graphical things like name list, ship appearance and starting weapon and your FTL type and hit generate! It would work perfectly I think

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Spiderfist Island posted:

You could probably just base the traits off of which HOI4 ideology controls the largest amount of victory points in 1948, combined with what the largest faction leader's military doctrines are, what their relative rocket/nuclear/computer advancement is, and what their industrial strategy (concentrated vs. dispersed) is.

The joke is that I just described launching Stellaris and making a new race from scratch. There is 0 point to a converter, you don't need one and it would introduce way too many needless arguments over whether your nazis are collectivist or materialist or whatever

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Ofaloaf posted:

The pro way to have a long vacation is to just be unemployed.

Wouldn't this be literally the opposite of the professional way?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Did you write this entire post just to justify that pun?

I thought it was humerus at the very least

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines is one of the greatest RPGs of all time, so this should be exciting!

("Personal path ending - Extremely enjoyable")

Dancing Werewolf Ending Best Ending :colbert:

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Riso posted:

I told them party management and real-time with pause combat are both terrible things.

But why would you lie to them like that? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the survey?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Vampire's difficulty level was totally dependent on your class. I don't think the physical-based classes were that good, but three of the four times I played through it were with the classes with broken magical powers so I didn't sweat any of the combat at all.

But yeah, the sewer was rough, that kind of went on forever

Any clan with Celerity was easy mode for combat. It's a tossup between Celerity and Obfuscation which was stronger for most fights. With Celerity, after a few dots enemies move so slowly your only risk is moving so fast that you dodge back into bullets you forgot were hanging near-motionless in the air. With Obfuscation high enough, you can move around and stealth kill every non-boss enemy at will, with no chance to be detected. Celerity is better for boss fights (I killed the Transformed Sheriff using Celerity before he even finished the first swoop), while Obfuscate is better for non-bosses, since you're in 0 danger and don't have to waste ammo

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Wiz posted:

The issue is more with smaller peace conferences, since countries surrender to all attackers simultaneously you could basically declare war on any AI country that was about to lose a war and just take everything the others didn't want.

There should be a middle ground between "AI takes adjacent territories and stops" and "AI China takes Turkey before Japan". Couldn't you have AI countries take stuff close to them FIRST, and then set up distant colonies/puppets? That seems like it would resolve what people are complaining about.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Groogy posted:

It's all been downhill since then. The old fame of Paradox forever lost! I can barely feel like a proper gameplay programmer if someone can actually launch and play the game and enjoy themselves without first having to struggle for several hours to just get to the "play" button. I'm just a big sham.

I bet you aren't even an actual hedgehog!

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

sheep-dodger posted:

Oh god. Ghost fleets...

Groogy: Your games are also way too cheap, if they don't cost 80 bucks on release and into eternity after that, they are basically a strategy version of CoD and for babbies.

EUIV+all DLC= $290.55

(Yes, I know that you don't actually need all that DLC for anything, and that there are better package deals)

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

What... but... how? WHY?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Mister Adequate posted:

(IV is unquestionably the greatest in the series and one of the greatest in the genre, but as Jon Shafer said on Three Moves Ahead, following on from Civ IV kind of means you have to try something new and different.)

I'm still counting Alpha Centauri as a civ game, so this is clearly an attempt to spread lies.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

ThaumPenguin posted:

I recall somebody talking about a mod they were developing which would add anarchists and anarchist societies into the game.
As far as I recall, it involved a new POP type called "Red Craftsmen", who had the ability to collectively fund the construction of factories and railways, like Capitalists currently do.

Announcing a hot new Kickstarter: Glass Factory In Virginia! Get in on the early bird level to get your name carved onto one of the bricks. We have a limited upper tier reward where you'll get to personally starve the children one day a week!

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Panama Red posted:

How is Vic2 now with the two expansions? The time period is appealing to me but a lot of the negative reviews scared me off, but it's not clear to me how much of that was the usual reaction to a half-baked Paradox game at launch. It also looks rather ugly (not as ugly as HoI3, however). Am I better off just waiting for Vic3 and hoping it doesn't suck?

Honestly, I'd give it a miss. I've been modding EU4 to extend the timeframe to cover vicky 2 so that my multiplayer mega-campaign doesn't have to deal with Vicky, since I know we'd lose players if we did. It's an interesting game, but it's very unfriendly and clunky.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

I've been running/playing in a large MP game for the past few months, with the intention of it being a Grand Campaign. We're a couple hundred years into CK2 now, and have been growing in size steadily so it may actually happen! We started in 867, and are currently in year 1055

Here is the current state of the world. Despite being AI, the Abbasids are the current top of the pack, requiring huge alliances and efforts to stop them whenever they start a war. Our players are:
Italy, currently renamed the Order of Hermes after generations of being the heads of the Hermetic Society
France
Germanic Ireland
Venice
Germanic Ethiopia, currently renamed the Plague of Locusts
Sweden, soon to be Scandinavia
Jerusalem, renamed to be Heaven (and therefore localized in game as Kingdom of Heaven)
Sri Lanka, who just started as them and hasn't grown much yet

This is the Order of Hermes. You can see Carthage down in Africa, which used to belong to Italy (you need three kingdom titles to create an Empire) but was then released as independent. Unfortunately, some vassal issues had them steal one Italian county, so there will be a war soon. I am the one playing the Order, and am the strongest player currently due to generations of relative stability. You can also see Venice's small holdings here. That player is currently out of power, but has a lot of trade posts.

This border gore is France, racing to try and create the Empire title. France is a longstanding friend of Italy, although we aren't allied at the moment. France is currently hired to help Ireland conquer Britain. It's... not going super great.

This is Ireland. He controlled Scotland until a few years ago, but hasn't managed to switch from Gavelkind yet. He keeps making strong gains into England and Wales, and then losing wars and having it all fall apart. These borders have gone back and forth for the last hundred years. Ireland/Scotland are Germanic Pagans, and so get a lot of help from Sweden.

Sweden's been expanding steadily, but has hit some roadblocks recently. Namely, Denmark converted to Catholicism, and the Sweden player isn't willing to poke that bear just yet. Earlier in the game, AI Norway conquered southern France, kicking off the Crusades in about 900 and spawning a bunch of Holy Orders. Not a great time to be Germanic, although most of the Holy Orders have been vassalized by various people by now.

And here we have the Plague of Locusts, a Germanic Merchant Republic in Africa. They've been the front line against the Abbasids since the start of the game, and has held on admirably. He is also currently out of power, having somehow become a feudal vassal of the Republic during a missed game session.

After I won a crusade for Jerusalem, I renamed it as Heaven and released it, allowing a new player to take control. He's since lost Jerusalem and then retaken it in ANOTHER crusade, and is our other front line against the Abbasids. This character is the same dynasty as mine, so we've been allies ever since Heaven was established.

And finally, our new Indian player. He's had less than twenty years in game, but I fully expect to see this grow to cover at least half of India soon. He was formerly playing Anjou, but got bored being a vassal.

And finally, the Religion Map

Overall, it's a really fun ride, full of weird twists and turns. Until recently, the Abbasids were my tributaries due to an opportunistic war, but I couldn't hold onto them due to being outnumbered 2:1. The Sunni empire in Hispania is actually the Shia Caliphate. The West Africans in Mali are winning against the Umayyads somehow. And all this time, I've been preparing a mod for EU4 to allow us to not have to play Victoria 2 by expanding the EU4 timeline and content to cover through 1936.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Obliterati posted:

MapGoons have tried it repeatedly. It's either speed 1 or continual crashes.

I've been playing a multiplayer CK2 game that's lasted about 300 years (started in 867). We've had 5-9 players and been able to stay at speed 2 nearly all the time with only one session having significant crashed (due to a local file corruption). How many players are you trying that you're stuck on speed 1?