Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

:rip: Runemaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Srbja. Come on man.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

BillBear posted:

So you guys remember in the last thread we found that guy who fantasied about Nazi Germany invading the US? He made more posts!

For some context, the three options he's talking about :
1) Status quo ante bellum: The Germans just wanted their pre-WW1 borders but Poland wouldn't give in (Danzig Corridor), so WW2 was unleashed.

2) Continentalist theory: Germany wanted continental hegemony in Europe (autarky, drang nach osten, lebensraum) to rival the USA in the future, a cold war of superpowers.

3) Globalist theory: Germany was after world domination, meaning it had to destroy any opposition from other states

:allears:

Poor Germany, all they wanted was to be left alone. WW2 is the fault of those Allied fucks :argh:

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Vicky 3 is going to fix everything. It's going to be the best game ever when it comes out.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

No pressure.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Fister Roboto posted:

Why not both? Alt-history industrial revolution in Roman times.

Aeolipile Universalis.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Stellaris looking good, can't wait for some meatier DDs.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Another Person posted:

How do you play Viccy 2? I just had a really odd situation where I was playing as Portugal, I was doing amazing on the conquest of Africa and colonising the areas before that stuff takes off. I even kept my infamy in check. I had half of Sokoto in me, half of Ethiopa and all of Transvaal.

Then I built a factory and my economy just plummeted. Beyond recovery. I even destroyed the factory to see if the resources that needed buying up for that were the root of the issue. It wasn't, and my income just wouldn't recover. I put down all of my expenditures down to zero, and boosted all of my taxes and tariffs as high as I could and I was still making negative money. All I could do was sit and watch while I took on more and more loans.

Also, for some odd reason my troop bases were not replenishing, even if I set my NF to be encouraging soldiers.

Most likely it had nothing to do with that one factory, but you were probably sphered by Great Britain or someone else who's big, so now they are taking most of your resources and on top of that your tariffs probably don't work anymore.

The Sharmat posted:

Scale can be its own reward. Not a grand strategy, but I've never done everything in Morrowind. Just the idea that there's still frontiers there adds to the experience, though. Yes, that's irrational. But so what? Humans are irrational. It's inescapable. Might as well accept that when designing a game.

I agree with this.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Fister Roboto posted:

One thing I always love about Vicky 2 is that the verbiage for pops changing occupation is "signed up". As in "27 labourers signed up to be aristocrats today."

I remember once seeing a screenshot of two people signing up to be slaves.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

TheMcD posted:

Ask Paradox. They were the ones that put those stupid names in to begin with - they came from the HoD dynamic dominion system. When that converter found a nation it could not transfer a Vicky 2 tag over to, it would take one of the dynamic dominion tags, which are as follows:

code:
The Kingdom of $REGION$
The Confederation of $REGION$
Commonwealth of $REGION$
The Republic of $REGION$
The $REGION$ State
The People's Republic of $REGION$
The Free State of $REGION$
The Grand State of $REGION$
The State of $REGION$
The Principality of $REGION$
The Democratic Republic of $REGION$
The $REGION$ Union
The $REGION$ Kingdom
The Dominion of $REGION$
The Grand Duchy of $REGION$
The $REGION$ Nation
The $REGION$ Federation
The United States of $REGION$
The Democratic Union of $REGION$
The Princedom of $REGION$
The Union of $REGION$
The People's Democratic Republic of $REGION$
The $REGION$ Area
The Glorious Union of $REGION$
Mighty $REGION$
The $REGION$ Free State
The $REGION$ Commonwealth
The $REGION$ Confederacy
The Free People of $REGION$
The $REGION$ Republic
The Holy Union of $REGION$
The People's Union of $REGION$
The Federal States of $REGION$
The $REGION$ Federal State
The $REGION$ Confederation
The $REGION$ Federation
The Pious Union of $REGION$
$REGION$ Land
The Most Serene Republic of $REGION$
The Secret Kingdom of $REGION$
The Commune of $REGION$
The $REGION$ Commune
The Worker's Union of $REGION$
The Landgrave of $REGION$
The Nation of $REGION$
Holy $REGION$
The $REGION$ Dominion
The People's State of $REGION$
The High Kingdom of $REGION$
The Lesser Duchy of $REGION$
So the nation owning Greenland is "The Secret Kingdom of" (I think the converter excluded the region part) and since Denmark had cores on it, that becomes "Secret Denmark".

It's probably a leftover from Secret Bears of Jan Mayen.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The guy with a Serbian/Slavic name is the most skilled, so there is a chance.

Branislav Statnik sounds more like a Slovak. 4th Space Rome would have to wait for another hero.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

BBJoey posted:

publish an obsidian-developed sequel to vtmb right loving now

!!!

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

This union between Paradox and Obsidian is probably one of the best thing that happened in recent times.

:69snypa:

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

It is known that Stalin was awfully quiet at the peace conference.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Takanago posted:

Just please add a national focus tree for Germany where time travelers eliminate Hitler from existence.

And that traveler's name was Albert Einstein.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

The problem with Hitler is whoever kills him, takes his place as Hitler.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Obfuscation posted:

Guys check out these crazy nationalists whining about how their silly borders are not 100% accurate

It's 'patriots' thank you very much.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

You guys shouldn't be sad for not getting in, you'll still beta test the game when it comes out.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

There's only one mod for Vicky 2 that's considered a must have.

http://oldforum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?686598-HoD-The-Imperialist-Adventures-of-Srbja-amp-Friends!

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Drone posted:

Santa Johan, if you're listening, all I want for Christmas Day Yuletide is an unannounced early HOI4 release :pray:

Good news, HOI4 will be released in early...

... 2017!

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Rakthar posted:

Stellaris video showing off the game for 10 minutes including the :siren::siren: SHIP DESIGNER :siren::siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRp7T5irXTQ

I'm going to play the gently caress out of this game.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Mans posted:

can't wait to turn the galaxy purple with the Xerxes 3000 battleship

They had slaves, but what would've happened if Persia had slavs???

There's a myth theory that Croatian people migrated to Europe in 7th century all the way from northern Persia. That's also the time that Sassanid Empire fell, just sayin'. :smuggo:

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Heh, managed to see the video, game is looking good! Will definitely play it.

But warp capable spaceships should zap out of a system when they reach the edge, instead of just disappearing.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

I'm going to play the gently caress out of Stellaris.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Do a search for Bastet and you'll see that's historically accurate.

Hey there sexy :heysexy:

Fintilgin posted:

I grew up on MOO, so I actually feel slightly... treasonous that I have basically no interest in the reboot, but I'm super pumped for Stellaris.

Yeah, I feel the same way.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Wiz posted:

Me and Groogy were just talking about the need for a Hipster ideology if we ever do Victoria 3. Who else is going to buy clipper convoys in the 20th century?

Great Britain :colbert:

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

I recently started playing Vicky 2 again (with the 3.04 beta patch), and it really is the best Paradox game ever.

When will you announce Vicky 3's imminent release, Paradox?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

You know how EU, CK or any other Paradox title have a world map already prepopulated with various nations of varying strength according to history? Also known as normal non-EU fantasia game mode? Stellaris should also have something similar, besides the normal symmetrical start. Of course, since Trump never released the UFO files, this mode would be total fantasy made in-house, so they can go hog wild.

And also, bring back fantasia for EU5.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Splicer posted:

Here's a weird thing: You can save empires, then set them to always spawn, never spawn, or allowed to spawn. If you have no always spawn empires then it will mix it up between randomly generated empires and allowed to spawn empires. If you have some always spawn empires it will always spawn them and then move to the random/allowed empires. If you have a lot of always spawn empires it will grab a random selection of always spawn empires.

The game comes with between 9 and 23 preset empires depending on the number of expansions. So you have everything needed in the game to have a set of "standard" Stellaris empires, seeing the same friends and enemies pop up etc etc.

But.

You can't set the default empires to always spawn. You can't set them to never spawn. They're hardlocked to "allow". The "standard" game is a whole bunch of randomly generated empires and a very small quantity of preset empires showing up infrequently enough that you probably won't even realise they're presets. But you also can't actually disable them, so if there's one you're sick of the sight of it will still occasionally show up to annoy you and there's nothing you can do about it without modding. It is the dumbest possible way of doing the thing.

Also, let's say you are playing, and you do run into a random empire that you battle it out or ally with or in some way go "yes, I like these guys, I want more of them". There's no "save empire" button. The only way to carry those randomly generated hated enemies/comrades in arms into another game is to screenshot their empire page and recreate them manually.

I agree, but I was talking about something else. You know how in that Star Trek mod New Horizons you can choose an epoch that you start in. If you choose to play as humans in the earliest start, Earth is a small and unimportant backwater, while the Dominion is already an Empire. And if you take TNG start, Earth is a capitol of a big fat Federation. The galaxy map is always the same depending on a start date, with all the races in play depending on the previous star trek lore. Now of course, star trek is half a century old show so it's got a considerable head start, but I think Paradox can find some good sci-fi writers and make something similar with their Stellaris universe.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Splicer posted:

Oh yeah I know I went on a bit of a tangent. It's just so weird that they didn't just not have preset maps, they actually put in extra effort to nerf the impact of preset races. Surely it would have been less effort to leave the buttons in. It's crazy.

To specifically address your post there's a novel (own it due to a bundle, should really read it) and a bunch of implied lore from release trailers so they wouldn't even be starting from scratch. They could easily have a "canon" timeline with a bunch of preset maps but they seem to really really not want to do that.

Yeah, I was also deep in my own tangent and glossed over yours, but I do agree, preset races not having that button is so weird, and we're talking about almost 5 year old game, with gazillion patches and DLCs. And apparently "gazillion" is a proper word now, so I know weird.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

When is Vicky 3 never coming out?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Grevlek posted:

Where do I preorder ???

Right here.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Oh hell yeah, vicky 3 is coming!

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Victorian Secrets

:nws: Don't click if you are a 19th century child cleaning heavy machinery for halfpence a week. :nws:

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Runemaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Crom, and if you do not listen, then to Well with you