Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Party In My Diapee posted:

I don't understand why the unexpected popularity of CK2 didn't make them make that in ancient times instead of another EU.

Is this true? I haven't followed any of the development and I was looking forward to it just because it's CK2 in an era I like even more. And with how important key figures were in that era, you would think the rpg stuff from CK2 would carry over. I'd be very disappointed if it's more EU thank CK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Is not wanting to deal with Jesus the reason that the game ends when it does? I was looking forward to getting to my own Julian thing.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I don't know if this is still the case but the only real choice in the minor focus tree is going fascist because it got you free manpower, which many minors completely lack, while going communist for you a tiny pittance of political power.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

And you would think the point of playing a fascist nation, if you're not a fascist, is to try and deal with the bullshit they did. Limited resources, no allies, and being in a poo poo situations because of the leadership. But that's just not the case. There's never really a feeling of having to deal with your limited natural resources, but granted I don't know of the fuel system managed to fix that.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Paradox never figured out a good way to simulate the actual conditions of how these empires worked. Like there's no reason to keep a standing army in the rear end end of nowhere to defend it, meanwhile the Romans found tons of situations where they couldn't shift around men because someone has to guard the border. Meanwhile in like CK2 you bring down the full and total might of Byzantium down on someone.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

VostokProgram posted:

Were armies historically used for policing and general border patrol duties? I feel like if you take all your troops away from the frontier to go fight somewhere, there should be lots of ruffians who cross the border to pick on your citizens. Why would their government stop them if you're not even there to protect yourself?

Yes especially the Roman armies. The level of troop strength on the Roman border basically dictated their neighbors foreign policy. For example Justinian could only justify his attempted reconquest because there had been a recent peace treaty with the Sassanids and he didn't expect them to break it so soon. Meanwhile Heraclius had to deal with the fact that there were no soldiers to spare. In his final war with Sassanid Persia he got pretty much every soldier the empire had that wasn't guarding somewhere, and it was only 50,000. Meanwhile after the defeat at the battle of the Yarmouk, the soldiers on the western front could not be moved because of the slavs and bulghars who were constantly raiding and testing the empire's borders. The army of the east that died at the Yarmouk was it until you got to the praecental armies, making it easy for the Arab invasion to gain ground.

Dwesa posted:

CK2 has adventurers, raiders and revolts and I think Stellaris has patrols to keep piracy low. I think there must be some trade-off between realism and gameplay. If you are ruling big multicultural and multireligious empire in CK2, you will probably deal with lot of revolts and raiding parties, but having to deal with them constantly would be extremely annoying and sometimes it already resembles a game of whack-a-mole. But yeah, I think it is missing some mechanism, maybe something like those patrols?

There are a lot of revolts, and they posses the most annoyance and threat, because raiders don't really effect you unless they are hitting provinces you directly own. I don't really have much incentive to care about my vassal in Armenia who's getting raided by nomads for the 100th time unless I'm roleplaying as someone who would. There's no mechanical consequence for me ignoring that. Adventure's sort of work in this manner but you have notice of where they are coming and they are just another war that can be declared on you. Like even if I'm attacking say Syria and there's an adventurer in Italy, I have more than enough time to muster my soldiers from Syria and march to Italy to defend it.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Fuligin posted:

Just nerf the byzantines, de-jure greece has always been worth way too much in levies and tax.

Although tbf with holy fury's imperial government mechanics the empire does an excellent job of slowly killing itself with internal power struggles

Greece should at least rely on prosperity more or something. There's no real good way to model the Slavic migration there with CK2's mechanics but it was an area that was out of Imperial control for a long time for a reason.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I hope Imperator gets at least some of the rpg aspects added in over time so that I won't have to wait for CK3 for that awesome blend of rpg and grand strategy game.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

RabidWeasel posted:

Characters have traits and stuff so you have the comedy value of "oh look my best general has brain damage" etc. but I'm pretty sure that will be it.

Yeah, who knows. I've kinda scaled back my expectations for the game given this thread, but I'm sure I'll end up getting it because I'm a huge classical history fan.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

CK3 will be a third person castle decorating game with romances. There will be a map room and you can walk up to it to play CK2 and this is how you earn money for a better castle.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I wonder how hard things like matriarchies will be to mod into Imperator since I'm not expecting any rights of women laws in the release. Also you cannot play as steppe nomads, right? So no Scythians riding in to dethrone all the men?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Zohar posted:

I'm pretty sure I remember one of the streamers saying there's a gender equality game setting

Oh wow. Well color me even more excited.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

I remember not liking EU4 forts, but that may have been the cherry on top of all the other things that bugged me about the game, the fact that the combat was just that much more complicated.

Also notable is that so much of the bloat in EU4's development just isn't there in CK2. The most bloating you can see is how 10 used to be the top rung of stats, but now it's just average because there are characters with 30s running around. Also the fact that the map is double the size from what it used to be, but that's not really a negative. They put a decent amount of work into making places outside of Europe worth playing in.

I think CK2s dlc policy worked because so much of it was focused. Each dlc was about a very coherent thing, rather than being a mishmash of stuff. CK2 starting with only playable Christian's helped in that regard.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

If you don't like truckin to Moscow or talking about how Denmark isn't a real country :frogout:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I like Arumba when he did ck2, or his old multiplayer stuff. Too much eu4 changed him though to the point I can't stand him.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

He actually only barely understands the game in those videos and seemingly has never played EU4 so he doesn't do really basic things like take money during peace deals, but yeah, the editing is nice I guess. I actually enjoy watching unedited gameplay, though. I'll just skip ahead if a part is especially boring. Then again, I've been watching unedited Civilization lets plays by some of the most boring men on earth for years before anyone streamed paradox games, so I think I'm just weird.

I don't even like Civilization but I love watching Marbozir play Civ.

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Sounds about as smart as the players in the Dividing the Spoils game, then :v:

Even the tiniest minor seems to be capable of conjuring thirty thousand men out of the ether. I'm kinda feeling like army size should be... a fifth of what they are, across the board.

I would like a mod that reduces the manpower just for ~my immersion~ But at the same time we hear about Rome fielding multiple armies of 50,000 each during the Punic wars so. :shrug:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I'm a huge fan of ancient history and Imperator just doesn't feel like the right game for the era. Or at least for my perception of the era. When I think about the era it's as family driven as the ck period, and the tension between seizing power for your line vs the state.

Ultimately my problem isn't the era, it's Imperator. It's not the game I expected but the game we got is also not fun at all.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Farecoal posted:

EU4 being like a board game is probably why I like it the least

:emptyquote:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Yeah the sense of actual passes and lines of conflict is huge and a vast improvement over just chasing down a lovely stack everywhere.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Dramicus posted:

If it is, I'm kinda dreading it. With all the backlash of Imperator feeling empty and lacking content, imagine the expectations for a CK3. Unless it has all the existing content, + more, the fans will probably take a dump on it. Victoria III is one of the few things they could make and "start fresh" without any major controversy.

I mean at least the current events for ck2 are a good base to build upon for ck3 so it would be stupid to throw them out. As well besides like the new chargen from Imperator I'm not sure what a ck3 would need entirely, beyond just more events on top of the current. Like as a CK fan I wouldn't buy a new CK3 until it was as dense as CK2.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Dramicus posted:

Well when CK2 was first released, you couldn't play as anyone other than Christian lords. All the stuff we know and love about CK2 was added over a period of several years. At this point, they pretty much can't release ck3 unless all the currently playable nation-types are playable. They can't just start with Catholics in ck3 and spend another 5 years adding in features and charging people for them.

Yeah basically a CK3 that tries to be bare bones just won't work today when you have CK2.

catlord posted:

I hope it's a fantasy game. I've been wanting one basically since they announce Stellaris.

Fantasy would be cool but that could go so many ways. I hope it's in the style of most games and not equal starts like Stellaris though since that's my least favorite part of the game. Also I'd love if it was classical fantasy and not medieval since I just bounced hard off of Imperator and I still want to enjoy some swords and sandals. :v:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

"As the Americans learned so painfully in Earth's final century, free flow of information is the only safeguard against tyranny. The once-chained people whose leaders at last lose their grip on information flow will soon burst with freedom and vitality, but the free nation gradually constricting its grip on public discourse has begun its rapid slide into despotism. Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master."

This one is pretty funny how wrong it is in retrospect. You don't have to deny people access to information when you can just overwhelm them with it.

Not everyone can be on the amount of :catdrugs: Kojima was when he made MGS2.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Agean90 posted:

boomers itt acting like political philosophy 101 is unequaled writing and that smac didn't have it's messy parts

It's better writing than any 4x game after it. :v: It's at least aware of ideology including the ideology implicit in the 4x genre, so much better than Civ or Endless Space or what have you.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

For me the big stacks always felt annoying because of the rock/paper/scissors effect composition had. I don't have as much experience with Civ4 but in Endless Space there's the composition of what your actual ships are and then their armament and defense and it ends up being loving annoying because the ai will always outproduce counters to your build to the point now where I just loving loathe ship designers. :v: The one unit per tile at least adds some tactile feel to each unit. You want melee to be linebackers, your ranged do the heavy lifting, cavalry exploit flanks. Easy to get instead of balancing %s.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Yeah Civ is something I play when I want a gamey thing, but I almost never play it because the fun to me is just the early game not winning the game. Granted part of that is theme, as I prefer pre gunpowder stuff. And hey Civ 5/6 has Anno Domini for classical theming which I love the hell out of. And since Imperator still isn't good :negative:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Mister Olympus posted:

no other paradox game besides ck2 will be good until it takes the character driven nature of ck2

They tricked me with Imperator....I just wanted Classical Character Driven Grand Strategy RPG, is that too much to ask? :negative:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Beamed posted:

Hey, we got the officially correct opinion re: nationalizing a single games marketplace, let's get on with discussing why Crusader Kings 2 is the only good Paradox franchise.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Wait is Stellaris mobile the big announcement? :confuoot:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

The tanks still have UNSC on them :psyduck:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

StarMinstrel posted:

Well in Paradox's defense, Activision-Blizzard did it for the Diablo phone game and no one minded! Why should it be different for them?

Except they did? That phone started the long and grinding decline of public opinion towards Blizzard that's still ongoing.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

The Cheshire Cat posted:

With inconsistent pixel sizes.

*edit* since the big sale is on, is Imperator: Rome any good yet? If not, does it seem like it could be good at some point in the future?

If you are a mechanics driven player it is in a decent starter shape. Where the game is lacking is in flavor and just making different governments and religions play differently. As well the character stuff doesn't work for me. It's too little to be enjoyable like ck2 but too much to entirely ignore it. Very bad middle ground.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Like I said in the CK thread, the increased focus on characters looks interesting. As well I hope that my favorite bits of CK2 get ported on, namely Hellenism and enatic succession. I was very disappointed when in IR I couldn't find a way to mod in enatic succession, since succession laws were hard coded. I really hope enatic is there, if only for modders to use.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

CK3 justifies itself to me by going in an even more roleplaying direction than CK2. It doesn't look like CK2 but shinier graphics, the new gameplay focus sounds good. Also that they've said you're not just limited to Christians at the game start. Eases fears of the barebones aspect!

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Kaza42 posted:

Fun fact about hospitals: If they aren't enough to completely bypass whatever disease is wracking your nation, they often just make things worse. Diseases have a set duration once they reach a province, and hospitals delay disease reaching the province but do not reduce that duration. So if your policy is to close the gates while there is disease in or adjacent to your capital, a hospital increases the duration you'll need to be locked up for.

They are insanely binary. Once I had them high enough I just never had to deal with disease again which...doesn't feel great because oh I spend several thousand gold and ignore a mechanic. It'd be better if a hospital didn't mean suddenly your province never felt disease but you'd get better court doctors who got good treatments better/could cure more stuff without cutting off your face.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Let's pray for the medieval norse and their extremely well-documented and not at all politically-loaded super special religion that they need to have in 1066 that conveniently allows them to beat everyone up and assume any title they want

Pushing back Christians and making them a minority is the best part of CK2. :colbert:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Yeah if you want to model upkeep for your standing armies, cutting your max manpower by some % would work better, as you don't feel you're constantly losing troops just by standing around. Especially given that Paradox army stuff is more....getting the idea of armies than anything resembling historical circumstance.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Arrhythmia posted:

America definitely, but Africa is pretty dense at this point.

So was America before the European's arrived. If anything it should be as full as it actually was and after European contact the historical nations that were wiped out by the superplague could be removed. It would be much better than starting out without them present.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Lotti Fuehrscheim posted:

It wouldn't be much fun though. Either you have a game with blind spots, or you have no game.

You could lock the player from picking them, or just have the player ahistorically survive, otherwise I don't see how that would be any different than what is currently in game? :shrug:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Playing Maya, Inca, or Aztec and kicking the European's rear end is one of the more satisfying things you can do, regardless of how badly it's modeled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Yeah I liked learning with mother Russia, not sure if that's viable or what but, seconding the Muscovy vote.

Is the patch next year going to remove/retools estates to be not horrible?