Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

RIP Padre Groggo and Richard Lótàques

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Panzeh posted:

Well let me know if you come up with a process that lets the developer understand the best strats before the game even comes out so that that's even possible.

Make the game phone home with every move every player makes, do some machine learning on the collected information, release AI patches monthly.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Panzeh posted:

That's also a pretty insane task right there.

Yeah, it's a terrible idea in practice, but if you really want an AI that stays competitive no matter what tactics players develop, it's either that or manually coding new behaviors to deal with strategies that become popular. I guess you could pay a full-time employee to watch twitch 8 hours a day and take notes on any interesting tactics streamers talk about?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Wiz posted:

TBF I would put the chance of sacrifices to Jupiter resulting in good AI significantly higher than 'get a bunch of data and just add some ~machine learning~'.

Even for a wizard? You can't say some incantations and just magic up an algorithm?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

The Sharmat posted:

Then it'll just be Commies instead.

Depends on the mod. Map each subforum to a different Paradox game, watch the fireworks.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Alchenar posted:

Hell, this isn't an impossible dream given that Disney are ramping up the merchandising on the Star Wars IP from all directions.

Not a chance.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

What is a 'TI texture'? Googling just returns titanium textures.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Oh, duh.

I hope you Paradox devs are taking notes, I'll be expecting this feature in EU5. :getin:

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

HoI4 will have three endings. When you win the war you'll see an event dialog with three color coded options. If you pick red, you try to annihilate the other factions with nuclear weapons, but if you don't have enough VPs you destroy all life on Earth. If you pick blue, you build a superweapon that lets you mind control the other factions by uploading your head of state's brain. If you have enough VPs you can pick green, which lets you forcibly merge your head of state's DNA to everyone on the planet, bringing peace to the world.

No matter which one you pick, the whole planet starves to death because each ending incidentally destroys all forms of transportation.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Paradox is proud to present its groundbreaking new party cardgame "Hitler Against Humanity", a game in which players attempt to escape from receiving the dreaded gold Juden card by telling only Hitler approved jokes! The other players reward the winning jokes and gas the losers!

Hmm, this reminds me of a certain Internet forum.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Wiz posted:

Day 1 DLC

Preorder cancelled.

The Sharmat posted:

lol if you don't think there's going to be a dozen Legend of the Galactic Heroes custom portrait packs on day 1

Preorder un-cancelled.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

If brandy isn't a strategic resource I will un-un-cancel my preorder.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Patter Song posted:

So I've been out of the Paradox loop for a while, coming back in to see what's new and you guys are still arguing over stupid pseudo-Latin pluralizations for bonus and malus?

I feel home, guys. It's like I was never gone.

Welcome back! Do you have any opinions on the Vicky 2 economy, monarch points, planet tiles, or giving things good tumbles?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Lord Tywin posted:

Some more HOI IV http://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive/v/29053519 , this time the dude Johan is playing against pumps out 20 completely untrained infantry divisions to trigger the anschluss in 1938 and Johan is just 200 days away from having fully motorized divisions.

This game could actually have a Tehran Conference with Chamberlain, Trotsky, and Landon. :allears:

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

I can't remember which iteration of HoI2 (and HoI2-offshoots) it was, but the ideal fleet was a massive ball of CL and CA + some CVL to increase detection. They would chew their way through everything (except the even more OP naval configuration, a stack of pure NAV bombers).

I remember this, it was called the Cruizerg. The way it would work is that you would put the fire control upgrade on the CLs, so they would have the same range as a CA. Then you would add two CVLs. At the time there was bug surrounding CVLs: if you had one in your fleet, after at most two or three rounds of combat your fleet would teleport to the engagement range of your shortest-ranged capital ship. That by itself is really good, but when you have CLs with the same range as CAs you basically have 15 extra ships that can do damage, and they're always guaranteed to be in range.

I think this started happening in Doomsday and was fixed in one of Armageddon's patches (but not when that expansion was first released).

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Groogy posted:

"Friend"

The guy in the picture seems friendly enough to me!

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Right-clicking 'go to diplomacy' will no longer be interpeted by the game as a desperate desire to crash to desktop.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I tried to do this in my own USA game yesterday and ended up starting a crisis war. USA, France, Russia, Austria v. UK, Prussia, Ottoman Empire. We lost because the UK keeps like 60,000 troops in Canada in 1845.

Also, Wiz et. al., this is probably way beyond the scope of what you guys are doing for this patch, but would it be possible to add a third level to the event system? There are still some annoying USA events that are triggered per-province and it would be nice if they were per-state.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoi5kc8NCsM

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Westminster System posted:

Darkest Hour is a great contender on the mod front alone, well that and the perfection of the HoI2 Formula.

Specifically Kaiserreich, which has a lot more variation in what can happen compared to the vanilla game.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Lawman 0 posted:

How do you deal with fighting china in vicky2 if they partially westernize?

Blood and iron.

Even if they've got infantry you should still have a significant tech advantage, so what you want to do is blockade them, land on their coast, and fight defensive battles where you inflict massive casualties. Of course if your army isn't big enough they can still overwhelm you so don't even try if you're one of the smaller powers.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

V for Vegas posted:

All warfare in all Paradox games is just about concentration of force.

It's clausewitz engine after all

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

COOL CORN posted:

Wow what a novel opinion

It's a correct opinion.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

This is now the official Ubik thread. Please keep all discussion of derivative games using his engine to other threads.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I play Vicky 3 on my abacus

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I guess that makes more sense than them being wrought iron fence posts. Wasn't sure why they were opposed to periods.

What do the simoleon signs at the top symbolize?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_sign?wprov=sfla1

That's the symbol you see in legal documents so I guess it means bureaucracy or something

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Really among gamers that symbol means simcity money first

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

If any pdx devs read this: can you add a beta to Steam that always tracks the latest patch, including experimental ones? So like I could switch to that branch and automatically go from 1.1 -> 1.2 beta -> 1.2 -> 1.3 beta -> 1.3 etc. as you guys release them without having to set it manually each time.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

are you guys officially back from your vacation yet? because,

Groogy posted:

You really don't know me? I would torch Rome and laugh manically and profess my eternal devotion to Cyrus and Ahura Mazda.

Good idea, should be doable. If I remember it after vacation I'll bring it up

TL: Remind me in 3 weeks because I will need it

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Groogy posted:

Yeah, that was the "always latest beta" thing right?

Yeah, a steam beta branch that either points to the most recent beta or the most recent stable code, whatever is newest

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Are you drunk enough to spill the beans on Vicky 3?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I'm really interested in the mod after reading some of those articles. The author seems very thoughtful.

quote:

Wrong Focus

I mean the economy has a "wrong focus". Historically the main drive of industrialization (goods wise, not socioeconomic or poo poo like that) was heavy industry. Coal, iron, steel, metals and foundries - that made the industrial revolution and gave small countries such as Belgium an advantage. Goods in Victoria 2 are also an abstraction. Instead of having a good for gold, one for silver and one for diamonds there's a single good - precious metal - that represents all these things (as evidenced in the "Diamonds in $PROVINCE$" events). Iron too represents more than just iron, it covers other metals that were important int he industrial revolution, such as copper. I debated with the idea of renaming a few goods to represent this better but I digress.

The factors that drove these strategic goods to be so prominent during the industrial revolution are largely missing from the game. Railroads don't require any maintenance. The civil construction sector doesn't exist. Furniture is all made of wood and utensils, tools and other stuff that was commonly used and made of processed iron or steel are missing. Pickaxes, hoes, tractors and tractor parts, wrought iron for gates, balconies, windows (and the glass it use), they are missing from the game. So to represent these goods, the maintenance of buildings and the use of cheap steel and rising use of metals in everyday life these goods were introduced to pops. Poor pops try to buy small quantities of cement and steel for housing and goods (luxury needs, usually) though for everyday housing needs they just buy lumber. Farmers and Labourers will try to buy machine parts for their tractors and steam engines, pops try to buy glass for their windows and glassware.

Uses of Steel

Demand in Victoria 2 is drove through consumer goods. What poor pops consume is usually a profitable industry. While that's overall true, the game doesn't represent the growing needs for metals and other goods and consequentially heavy industry takes a backseat to industrialization. This will still change as I want to redo factories maintenance, construction goods and employee numbers but right now steel and coal are already one of the main drivers of industrialization in HPM. To do this stuff I also took a look at Victoria Revolutions needs and goods (coal, for example, increased with pop strata in Ricky while in V2 it stays largely the same).

Right now, I hope this holds true:

At that time, a country’s power was measured by its coal and steel production, so the economic and political power of the steelmakers was considerable. They produced girders for large factories and grand stores and opulent buildings such as those on the Boulevard Haussmann in Paris. Their steels were essential for the manufacture not only of cannons, ships, rails and locomotives but also of all the equipment that was transported throughout the colonial empire.

Steel was in such demand that the producers had control over how much and to whom they sold.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

the fundamental difference between hoi combat and all other paradox combat is that armies in hoi occupy provinces as soon as they move into them but in other games you need to siege. that completely changes how you have to think about a war. i dont know how you would do smooth transition between those two styles

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

yo everyone: my friend, forums poster littleorv, is too much of a little bitch to ask this question so i'm doing it for him. what are the good EU4 DLCs?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I like that the third sentence in Mr. Shafer's Wikipedia article is about his Meyers-Briggs Type Indicator

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

In V2/HPM is it not possible for a country to call in an alliance that was formed after the war was started? Playing Prussia, I saw Hungary try to get freedom from Austria so I immediately allied them thinking they would call me into the war, but they never did. But then Russia attacked Hungary in a completely unrelated war, and they called me in for that. I also tried building influence to get to Friendly so I could intervene that way but I couldn't get to it fast enough to save them. :(

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

idhrendur posted:

I'm pretty sure it's possible, but the AI seems strangely unwilling to do so.

Sad. Poland tried to do the same thing against Russia and I couldn't get influence in time there either. I think HPM must have added events to let countries secede because both of these didn't use the crisis system

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

A Buttery Pastry posted:

We can define Vicky 3 as the perfect game. Perfection is "that than which nothing greater can be conceived" A game that only exists in our mind would not be as great as one that exists in reality, contradicting our definition of Vicky 3. Thus, Vicky 3 must exist. From this, we can deduce that Paradox has made Vicky 3, but are holding it back because it would destroy the cash cow that is DLC for their other, non-perfect games. If not proof of hatred, it is at least clear evidence that they love money more than humanity.

Hello Descartes, welcome to paradox thread

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I don't think the number of goods is the problem with the Vicky 2 economy that gets everyone upset. It's the way the market works and how pops buy and sell goods, which is a black box that the player has no way to inspect and understand. Halving the number of goods wouldn't change that.

Also, a variety of different goods with some of them only available in certain parts of the world is useful. It gives the player some motivation to colonize and conquer besides just painting the map their color

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

there is no ai, there is only state machines