Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

anyone got that picture of the hosed up Hapsburg that's captioned "I'm 0/0/0"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but every interactable object in a mapgame is a token

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

the culture switching is good, but yeah the game is kinda cold and flavorless.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

civ 6 is fun, districts are a cool feature because you have to engage with the map and do some thinking about what placement makes the most sense

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

The new game is a minecrafty factory builder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn6wfLTn8dM

is this the one we all thought would be a civ-like?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

V2 doesn't have manually splitting pops that's V1

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

ok fellas which one of you is going to buy the star trek game

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I don't think I've ever built an atom bomb in hoi4

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

DrSunshine posted:

If the timespan is counting from 1945-1991 then that gives a game that spans 46 years. Too long for HOI hourly ticks, too short for Vic weekly ticks. I wonder what would be ideal?

Daily is probably good. Vicky 2 did that for a 100 year time period and the pacing was fine. And it's not like having the game be short is a bad thing. Everyone complains about how tedious it is to take a EU or CK game to the finish line but with Vicky 2 its actually fun to play to the deadline and try to maximize your GDP or whatever. A 50 year cold war game could be like that

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I highly doubt they are logging what position people put the slider on

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Jabor posted:

Sliders would be much less fiddly if there was a "lock this at the current amount of inflation/corruption gain/pop satisfaction" button and you didn't have to keep loving with it once you'd made your decision.

yeah I think sliders + autotuning would be very good. like in vicky 3 I would love it if you could tell the construction budget to use up exactly your budget surplus, or run at a specific deficit percentage. instead of having to carefully choose a number of construction sectors where you're at break even or a small deficit but not going too far in the red

or from the other direction, the tax rate could auto adjust to meet your expenses.

like in general step functions suck, we are playing on very advanced computers, let the machine do some linear interpolation on its own

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

regardless of if sliders are good or not, this is a really lame and lovely jab at vicky 3 and is a real bad look

if economic simulations allowed you to automatically adjust to perfectly balance all of your expenses and incomes, it would be a bad economic simulation.

1) it doesn't have to be perfect on every game tick, just average to the target over time

2) from a "realism" perspective its pretty reasonable because its an abstraction over an army of bureaucrats who calculate that this month we only have enough budget to build X things

e: and why, if it's supposed to be an economic simulation, are construction industries built in exact multiples of 5,000 workers, and the tax rate can be only 5 possible values, and so on. that argument doesn't make any sense

Yaoi Gagarin fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Apr 11, 2024

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Radia posted:

that’s right, that’s why Victoria 3’s system of being able to shift classes impacted by taxation policies, as well as benefit more from rural, vs urban cash, plus friction from moneyed elites, is just an optimal choice machine

oh whoops your point is bad!! Suffer the consequences and play two more Victoria 3 campaigns in penance

but what if we kept those mechanics but replaced the 5 position low/high tax button with a slider

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

what if I could tell the game that I want to deficit spend at around say 5% of GDP and it auto adjusted taxes or construction speed to stay close to that target so I didn't have to micro that and instead I just could focus on the grand strategy in my grand strategy game

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

this roman empire derail is so tedious because we all know the proper name is دولت عليه عثمانیه

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

"Frank" is a word that really gets around. My cousin called me this slang last week, for example: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%D9%81%D8%B1%D9%86%DA%AF%DB%8C#Urdu

Etymology is fun

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Whorelord posted:

Ottomanids,

"Osmanids", and that is basically what the state is already named:

دولت عليه عثمانیه
Devlet-i ʿAlīye-i ʿOsmānīye

Idr why Europeans started calling them ottomans. Maybe they invented the cushioned stool

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Crazycryodude posted:

You actually can't get US citizenship until you prove you can eat 10 of these. They don't tell you that up front when you start the process but the bureaucrats won't sign your paperwork until they watch you do it, kind of like a hazing thing.

and they fast track the paperwork if you eat the fries too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

if it's by the coast you can build a level 1 naval base to improve supply, it works exactly like a hub but way cheaper.

otherwise if you're stuck, and you've already put the nearest hubs on the extra trucks setting, and you can't capture an enemy hub, then yes air supply is the only lever you have left