Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Wouldn't that simply solve "Make it look nice" but as the system start to interfere with the player so he can't develop whenever he wants to it will become really bothersome, especially when you hit the Development Efficiency techs.

For instance if I have Dalaskogen in Sweden with its +5 Goods produced and I have dip points over I want to spend to increase my revenue I will want to spend all of it there. Imagine having to wait a year between each click just because someone I don't know don't want OPM's to build tall....

Groogy fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Oct 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tahirovic posted:

It looks so pretty, is there any word yet on an open or closed beta? I might need a change from this

We don't do betas as PR stunts and our betas are probably much closer to the actual development than what you are used to if you've been in a beta for any other company before. But if you want to get early access for Stellaris there's a really simple solution.

Get hired by Paradox.

Reminds me, I have to play it more.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Hey Pdox, you looking for someone with considerable knowledge of Ancient Greece? :getin:

No

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Dibujante posted:

Do you guys like C#?

No we don't

Groogy fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Oct 5, 2015

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

ArchangeI posted:

What do you think about PASCAL and Basic?

You mean the Cave Paintings you can see on museums? Ugh not that interesting, I mean I get the point that it proves some kind of cognitional ability of the painters but not that impressive.
If you want something actually interesting and that is the path of the future its either D(if the devs stopped being paranoid) or Ruby :getin:

Groogy fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 6, 2015

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Just try to write a game in Ruby, I double dare you

(Yes, it could be done, but you would get nothing out of using Ruby except lousy performance.)

I have, it was a top down dungeon crawler/shooter with destructible environment, PLS shading and dynamic lighting/shadowing on my free time as a hobby project.

Sure you can't make Europe Universalis in it but if you are able to see past the "this is what everyone says" on the Internet it's not that much of an issue as long you are not an idiot. Every language have their quirks, the C style ones have the most, you just need to learn how to work with them. For instance an optimization I do in Ruby is to instead process data I use metaprogramming to give me O(1) to data I want.

But no you're not gonna get s job at Paradox for knowing Ruby, C#, Java, how to do poo poo post on internet, it's C++ or nothing.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Oct 6, 2015

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Alchenar posted:

All of those jobs seems to require me to be in Stockholm and know about making computer games and don't seem to be about playing Stellaris and posting about it.

Demiurge4 posted:

Scandinavia is basically Stockholm and Iceland is part of the Nordic group, so by association I'm technically in Stockholm and should thus qualify.

No but seriously I live in loving Iceland, I smell like fish, have nothing to do in my spare time and would beta test the poo poo out of Stellaris :v:

Then apply to become QA testers

Also this is now Paradox Requirement thread.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Affi posted:

I saw a dude with a paradox hoodie and almost went up and talked to him before realising it was just paradox being a sponsor for a sportsclub. How can you support Hammarby??

It probably was one of us, we have a few football fans in the company.
Hammarby is Captain Gars team right?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Autonomous Monster posted:

:golfclap:

Though the most interesting thing about this picture is

oh yes

Pff I'm just teasing, no need to get so excited about it. You still know nothing more than I am messing up HOI4 :devil:

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Vive le citoyens milice!

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

They seem to be more mad about we are saying that democracies are not rear end holes when we are in fact just saying that Democracies didn't declare war on other Democracies. They were totally rear end holes though.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

meatbag posted:

The UK declared war on Finland :colbert:

UK declares war on Finland as they were allied with the Soviet Union, and as far as I know that is the only time in modern history that a democracy has declared war on another democracy. And no, One Party Democracies does not count.
Needless to say it does not set a norm.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Darkrenown posted:

Groogy is a saint, gently caress you guys.

<3

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Mans posted:

between this and total warhams i'm really excited to be disappointed in 2016!

I have never been looking so much forward to cancelling my pre-orders

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Cantorsdust posted:

This. Also waiting for the Stellaris -> Victoria 3 total conversion mod along with EU4 converter.

Please no :(

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Wiz posted:

TBF I would put the chance of sacrifices to Jupiter resulting in good AI significantly higher than 'get a bunch of data and just add some ~machine learning~'.

I sacrifice a goat to Odin every Midsummer and Yuletid, HOI4 AI is looking really good. So I guess it works?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Define "manage"?
No specifically naval invasions are a hard nut to crack in AI and do it well. Not the area I've been working with in the AI but I have seen while testing my more "The Big Picture AI" stuff actually planning a Naval invasion of Britain and succeeding. But the AI can always be improved upon.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Trade is quite simple, only thing it doesn't display properly as far as I can remember is the domestic trade modifier and the abroad modifier in the trade screen. Other than that there are not that much hidden complexity to the trade system.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Pretty much says what it does on the tin

And how production affects works with trade? Not at all. It is not affected by the current state of the trade. It is however affected by how many goods you produce, the value of the goods you produce and modifiers on that value (the events you see from time to time that increase and decrease the price) But Production itself is completely detached from trade and trade is completely independent from production. That is probably you had a hard time understanding how they related, because they didn't.

Or are you referring to the goods produced mechanic itself and not the production income mechanic? Goods produced is just the base value to calculate how much trade value is generated in the province. So if price of my goods are 2, I produce two of these goods then my province is producing 4 trade value. It is all shown in the province view

Groogy fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 23, 2015

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Another Person posted:

but I don't think provicinal trade power is on the same screen as mercantilism
They are not because provincial trade power is on a provincial level while mercantilism is on a global level. Each province can have difference in their provincial power trough local modifiers, like trade centers or just a simple thing like buildings. The mercantilism is the global value that is added to each province you own.

e: I am not saying it is not hard to get into, but you are poking on like the wrong stuff though

Alchenar posted:

Paradox Grand Strategy: It's modifiers all the way down!

Well in essence the entire game in a very short and primitive way to describe it is "It is a game where you go to war to gain more modifiers by using the modifiers you already have to beat the other guys modifiers so you can take his modifiers"

Groogy fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Oct 23, 2015

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Well its sounds like NFs have a 'historical' tag to them, and the player can opt between pure historical (historical NFs always chosen) or 'open' where AI choices are weighted towards historical but they can diverge.

Yeah and I use it for the AI a little bit to hint at it what to do which made this quote:

Groogy fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Oct 23, 2015

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Another Person posted:

I wouldn't say I'm poking at the wrong stuff, I'm just poking at it the wrong way because my memory is shot to all hell right now. It doesn't help my argument that I am not near a PC right now to look at the game and get screenshots to illustrate what I mean like you can, and I have a bad memory with all of the names of the base numbers and modifiers because they all have quite similar names.

Like, I think there is probably a better way to display all of the trade information in either one menu, or a series of clearly and closely linked menus (an expandable window would be best for showing info I feel) which have buttons between each other, allowing the player to see everything as they need it, instead of rooting around the two hundred available menus in the game for the right thing.

You have the global view which gives you a summary of the trade you can reach, from there you can go into the node view of interest by double clicking but from there you can't view specific provinces. Is that what you have a gripe with? Because those three are the only ones that have anything to do with trade.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 23, 2015

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Has the AI perhaps developed mustard gas while you don't have gas masks?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

BillBear posted:

Talking about converters, is the CK2 - EU4 one working fine? I'll love to do some sort of mega campaign.

It should.

"Trust me, I'm an engineer"

Groogy fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 26, 2015

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

A Buttery Pastry posted:

...I guess Greco-Roman?

I am deadly serious.

No, just no. The Roman Empire had its moment, just let it die and rest in peace.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Darkrenown posted:

I'm going to make Space-Rome in the next MP game :)

Can I join Stellaris MP so I can just destroy everything for you?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Fintilgin posted:

Didn't you get the notice, Groogy? Your office is being relocated to the Rome themed room in Paradox's brand new office. :shobon:

October 27th, 2015 is a day I will always remember. It was the day I became cynical, bitter, and distraught. You may call it an overreaction for me to feel this way simply because of the helleniophilic disposition of a few internet forum posters, but let me explain what all of this means to me.

My life was thrown off balance and I never regained my footing after that day, because I lost my ability to respect. An essential part of being human is to feel respect for those who may or may not be deserving of it. But it is equally human to feel painful disillusionment when someone or something you respected turns out to be much less than you thought. But the level of betrayal I felt when Fintilgin told me the theme of my new Office tore something from me that I'll never be able to recover. They tore away my ability to respect anything, and they tore away my ability to feel human.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

We only have winners in our office

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

V for Vegas posted:

Johan's smug forums sig now preserved for the ages

<3
I would have loved if they had taken any of my quotes on the Paradox forum. Like when discussion about optimizations on ck2 "Genocide is the solution to all our problems" I am a great quote machine for really lovely moral.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Funky Valentine posted:

Write the explanation for CK2 slowdowns involving Greeks trying to castrate everybody on a wall.

Alright so let me tell you how the mind of a Greek work. Every day a greek ruler would wake up, ask himself "So who can I castrate today?" and he would look at every single living being he ruled over and ask them "Are you my prisoner? No? Well gently caress" and move on to the next one. This is how it would do over the entire feudal hierarchy. If any poor creature would prove to be in the greeks dungeon he would pay them a visit in junction with a very rusty knife and say something how about the great Titan/Scripter of Goosecreature compels him to perform this hideous act upon the creature.

The Optimization I did was that "Huh I am not directly in control of this guy, I'll delegate the castration duty to my vassal". The moral of the story? Delegation of important tasks will make your project function more efficient. Especially if it is about castrating people. Why this is not in the bible or Hávamál I do not know.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 28, 2015

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

OddObserver posted:

Didn't know Nicholas II had an English twin.

For some reason I saw that as "Nicolas Cage" and dug up the picture of him in the 1800 before I realized you meant the last Russian Monarch.

e: From Wikipedia:

quote:

Tsar Nicholas II of Russia with his physically similar cousin, King George V of the United Kingdom (right), in German military uniforms in Berlin before the war; 1913

Groogy fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Oct 29, 2015

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Koramei posted:

I don't think new players need the DLC immediately, it just adds lots of extra stuff for them to be confused by. When you're into the game it becomes necessary cause it has lots of tools to help you to play optimally, but new players really don't need those.

That is the rational way to view it and is also how I view it when I do my purchases. If I see a game with a lot of expansions that adds content I am interested in I first buy the base game, play it, learn it then I go and buy the expansions. I usually am more inclined to buy games with a lot of expansions than those without because I like that I get more potential playtime with a game I enjoy. But I have no idea of how others view it (more than what people say/rant about the subject which isn't really a good statistical base to make opinions on). But I wouldn't be surprised by a person that goes and buys the game and every expansion with it without actually having any experience with the product before hand because of the "complete"-idea some people have.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

DStecks posted:

I'm not saying that losing is bad, I'm saying that it is not needed for a game to be a game. You can't "lose" Myst.

You can lose in Myst actually.
if you free any of the two brothers that is a fail state for you the player. You have to free the dad.

You can also consider failure to solve a puzzle, giving up or resorting to cheat is a form of losing even without the game explicitly telling you

Groogy fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Nov 4, 2015

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

I am however not saying the ability to lose is what makes a game a game. For me I define it as this: An activity with a structured set of instructions of how to succeed in it

This means however that something like The Stanley Parable is not a game as there is no set of instructions on how to succeed. You can argue that the ending which is most beneficial for Stanley is a "win" condition but the game does not give you the instruction to find that ending. However the game To The Moon which is very heavily focused emotional story does provide this and as such I define it as a game. Both of these are very dear to my heart and just because something "technically isn't a game" doesn't make it bad, not entertaining or as some put it "not fun". It just makes it something else, the content is still the same.

Mind also succeed does not mean that win condition equals game by my definition or just that it tells you that you have to just press space to make the story move forward and then it finishes. The key part is that you can be "better" at it I guess.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 4, 2015

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Alchenar posted:

Jokes about American states getting merged for gameplay reasons but I bet every fiord on the Swedish coast is lovingly represented.

Well I bet they are because as far as I know there are no Swedish fjords. So gonna be pretty accurate I hope.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 8, 2015

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Another Person posted:

Hey Paradox guys who read this thread. How do you actually collect and compile the history that you have in your games? How do you choose what historical events to put into your games and how do you research them? What kind of sources do you use for your information? Regular history books, academic history books, etc.? How about getting information on national histories where language is a barrier of access to the better researched sources of information?

We tell a scripter "We are making this" then the scripter looks poo poo up on Wikipedia, sometimes he googles it to find other sources and very rarely read a book.
The more obscure some historical detail in the game is, the more probable it is that it was made by some beta that asked us to add it so we added it after he had already done all the heavy work.
Disclaimer: I am bastardizing this a lot, it is not as laid back as I've made it sound but it is not as fancy as people expect.

quote:

Do you just have a team of historians who do that for you, who you get in touch with when you need something read up and written about?

I am always surprised by people thinking we have this, why would we? We already have a whole forum that kinda acts like it for us. We all have interest in history but we do not have anyone with the professional title of "Historian". Whoever gets the task of creating the content whatever form it is (art, scripting, design) has the responsibility of researching it and implementing it. Nothing fancy.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tahirovic posted:

The problem is they got their history wrong because they listen to the wrong poster and read the wrong wikipedia.
Lets take HoI4 as an example, where are the godlike Swiss soldiers who held the Reduit and could have beaten Nazi Germany if they wanted to?

While a Communist Republic of Switzerland WC is impossible HoI4 will remain ahistorical.

Actually while I was working on AI for HOI I had a big problem of Switzerland joining the Allies and kicking Germany's and Italy's rear end and conquering huge swaths of their land. Don't think you have anything to worry there. Switzerland is really damned strong, but I believe they are not gonna steamroll anymore but be more focused on defense now.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Me myself really like the idea of Citizens Militia. It is outdated in our day and age but still pretty cool.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Koramei posted:

I just think it could be a whole lot better.

Don't fix what ain't broke. Worst thing that could happen is that we get a Historian that is one of those "You can only be an empire if you derive yourself from Rome because Rome, you know Rome is loving awesome ohmygod Rome I am so wet right now"
Erhm... I forgot what point I wanted to make. Right! It works as it is right now and pretty well so why change it? Would a Historian actually provide anything that we do not already supply? An overwhelming majority of the players won't even be able to spot the difference, even if there were any difference at all. I also believe if you look from the perspective that as it is now we have developers directly being passionate about history and involving themselves in it when making the game is worth so much more. Passion over accuracy.

Also a question to be raised, where would this accuracy be placed? In the History/Bookmarks that nobody ever touches? The Jean d'Arc events which has been made so they can spawn anywhere and expanded on to let the player have influence in the whole thing and choose himself what to do with Jean? Or the 30 year war in EU4 where the world can look completely different from history and the major participant in the war might be Muslim?

Groogy fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Nov 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Kavak posted:

Just give me some other ways to generate it- let the military academy spawn an extra point of military power per month, let republics get bonus points from the legislature itself on top of the elected leader, etc.

Then we are kinda progressing slowly back to the old system though....
The monarch points being a very finite source is also why it is working so well in gameplay terms. Either way towards mid-late and late game I have more points than I ever need anyway so don't see why I would need to generate more, if anything I need more sinks. (Though Development is filling that in very nicely)