Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Making things sound fancier than it is, though I guess us being used to it, I don't see it like that. Terms I hear a lot more when we talk is "loops" to feed the addiction that is our games so you keep doing the "Just one more year".

I'm not good at articulating these things but something generic like:
Get resources -> perform action using those resources -> reward from action -> get more resources -> rinse repeat

So in EU4 you could construct a chain of actions where each leads into the next one:
You get money, you use that money to build a manpower building, you get manpower, now you can fight that war and spend the manpower resource... etc. etc...
Each action builds into the next one sort of?

A lot is also like learning lessons from past. I've learned for instance timers, like cooldowns etc breaks these kind of loops in our games in the game since you as player is no longer in control of it. Hence why I removed interactions in estates for something entirely different.
e: Though should also point out sometimes only way to solve a problem is a boring timer

Groogy fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Sep 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

I respectfully disagree. I am hard pressed to find what is fun with assigning out the estates, especially now when I have both systems available to me and I groan every time I interact with the old estates system. I can understand the loss of "tangible presence" which does hold an emotional value to the player, but I don't think compromising here to get "both" would result in better gameplay. What is it they say, compromise means just neither are happy?

And timers as utilized in eu4 I find just pure bad because it just jar with the purpose of a strategy game where you take decisions. What about states edicts cooldown makes you think? What about interactions makes you think? All of these things are "click, try to remember when to go into screen to click again". Now because of their current functionality they need cooldowns like States edicts because otherwise there is no cost to usage. Loops have both long term and short term viability, cool downs are a band aid to solve a game design problem.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Flavius Aetass posted:

it certainly feels more immersive to have started a project and have it complete in two years...

I think you misunderstand when I say cooldowns... This is not it at the very least.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

YF-23 posted:

Just copy MEIOU's system.

I have a very opposing philosophy to the MEIOU team. They're lovely people and I talk with them often. You're going to think that I am silly, but I prioritize that the game actually... you know runs

Groogy fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Sep 5, 2019

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I mean, goons were out here calling johan incompetent to his face over imperator/eu4. So, no, it wasn't mostly just against paradox as a whole, nor about any of the scandals. Paradox devs get poo poo on a lot here just in general.

Bit late but since there's been a bunch about this and I was briefly mentioned. I just want to say none of you scared me away even if some here can get a bit brazen with their... critique. Besides being very busy at work I am also chairman of the local union chapter at pdx, plus my housing coop so I've just had way too much to do to dip in. But I do check in from time to time to see what people generally think about our games.

e: Heck I have one of my stupid quips as my av, I had totally forgotten.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Nov 16, 2021

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Gaius Marius posted:

Every nation gets boiled down to the popular vision of it for gameplay reasons. England was hardly good boat island for the entire period, Venice wasn't raking in the trade money the whole time, Sweden is way overpowered etc.

Russia is Soviet style Swarm of infantry regardless of era
I use the term "Meme History" internally a lot. People have certain expectations of countries and if we don't give that then it's "ahistorical". You know like "Spain should obviously inherit Burgundy even though it was Austria that did" etc. etc.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Mantis42 posted:

Goodbye and good luck, Groogs

I'm still going to hang around. I still like the games and poo poo posting

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Using the following evidence:
He is going to Ubisoft Stockholm
Ubisoft Stockholm is working on an Avatar game
Toy Story clip in tweet

I have concluded that Ubisoft is going to partner with Disney to make a Disney themed grand strategy game à la Kingdom Hearts.

Major features:
Navy mechanics that matter, including entire nations living "under the sea."

Varied tech/focus trees to cover Magic Kingdoms, reclusive but technologically advanced ethnostates, & superpowers.

Default combat width increased to 101 to accommodate dalmatian based unit templates.

No comment

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Lady Radia posted:

what the? when has Paradox ever put accurately depicting history over their bottom line?

You do know like all of our games are banned in China except Stellaris?

edit: Also I need to get used to not saying "our" anymore :(

Groogy fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Dec 3, 2021

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Mans posted:

The Taiping Rebelion isn't on vanila vicky 2???

Holy moly, I never played vanilla and it shows.

It is tho

https://vic2.paradoxwikis.com/The_Taiping_Rebellion

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Baronjutter posted:

I love this page:
"A paradox china game would absolutely be banned in china"
"no it wouldn't come on that's just a meme that says china bans everything, the laws are very misunderstood in the west and China is only going after predatory games to protect children"
"Actually pretty much all paradox games are banned in China, even Stellaris simply for including the concept of democracy and internal political factions"

Didn't know we had so many tankies here.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Poil posted:

That sounds fantastic. How?

Don't remember exactly how but you need to get a key from the forum by syncing your account. Why it was moved to behind a key like that is because of legal requirements prior to a specific version with GDPR and stuff like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Lady Radia posted:

Nah Paradox game mods are mostly around.. fake, pseudo-JSON?

I've never seen it as pseudo json. But yeah it's more like a markup language to call functions and manipulate data. But it is incredibly fast for what it is since it is like a 1-1 mapping almost to machine code. Faster than Lua I believe when we tested that some years ago.

VostokProgram posted:

does EU1 use the paradox scripting language? if so it would predate JSON

EU1 was on the Europa Engine and not the Clausewitz Engine. The script language of today was based of something from the Europa Engine I believe though. Someone like Johan would know better.
e: Ah I see Johan has already answered.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Apr 10, 2022