Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Kavak posted:

I tend to play countries that already have a budget so large I'm constrained by the force limit instead, if that helps. I also need a decent balance for events and such.

If you have a such big budget then FL doesn't matter, lategame Mp I usually see people paying +50 a month from the over forcelimit penalty alone.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Nov 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Koramei posted:

but I do still think this:

Oh definitely.
But if he even so dares to mention rome.... :bahgawd:

My little sister got assignment to compare the Roman Empire with another Empire, I told her to compare it with the Habsburg Empire

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Mans posted:

the peacekeeper is one of my favorite things of all video gaming

I remember the first time I encountered them my response in my head was

"Bahahahaha this dumb NPC think he can stop my mighty Swarm Empire with Gates from every corner of the galaxy! How is he going to prevent my mighty fleet from crushi..... Hey wait! What are you doing! No stop please stoooooop!" :magical:

Groogy fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Nov 20, 2015

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Pooned posted:

Who actually made the economy in Victoria 2? I remember when I first started playing I was so fascinated with the world market and I'm so sad I haven't seen anything close to it since :(

It just morphed into existence on Johan's computer one day and any attempt to touch it just resulted in a violent outburst and opening of demonic gates to the home realm of it.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Lord Tywin posted:

Did you try to give it a good tumble?

Even I wouldn't go that far.
I know surprises myself that I have standards.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

I have to say it was really satisfying on a primal level playing the Mongols and raise half a million cavalry to fight against the vile Chinese and Japs in HOI4.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

I have to say it was really satisfying on a primal level playing the Mongols and raise half a million cavalry to fight against the vile Chinese and Japs in HOI4.

e: Oh noes double post

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Mans posted:

i wonder how long it will take between HoI4 is released and steam workshop releases an anime portrait mod

We've already had a bug report that was titled "Hitler is Kawaii", someone didn't like Mrop's DLC testing.
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/659084285400514560

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Darkrenown posted:

Wiz commits genocide to avoid AI spam. True story.

Genocide is Paradox number 1 solution to most problems.
For instance performance problems in Ck2? Ramp up the plagues.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Also to think of the CK2 automation is an actual gameplay element which you interact with and influence and have to "fight" to make it do what you want. It isn't supposed to be a fire-forget solution.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

YF-23 posted:

But all the scientist names come from Latin-derived languages!

Clearly evidence and remnants of the tyrannical and barbaric colonialism that the Human race has now transcended as it united under a common banner for the greater good of mankind!

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

pdxjohan posted:

I recommend booking that time every week until release ;)

+1

I should be allowed to do my Mongolian horde of a million cavalry men sometime again but on stream.

Genghis Khan and his descendants are the true masters of earth!

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Gort posted:

I liked the

"I converted all my divisions to motorised ones!"

"What, all of them?!"

"Yeah, they'll be ready by the turn of the century"

exchange.

Guess he did the AI-Hitler Mistake that happened when I helped out on HOI AI.
We would let the game run over night then check on it. Well Hitler decided it was a really cool idea to replace Infantry in his Infantry divisions with Super Heavy Tanks and Tank Destroyers....

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Dibujante posted:

In all fairness, "throw in an impractical superweapon" should be the tie-breaker for every decision that Hitler AI makes.

Jazerus posted:

Is your Hitler AI literally a tiny Hitler homunculus? I don't see how else you could achieve such accuracy in programming his personality.

Little Abigail posted:

That sounds exactly like what Hitler would do. Good job with the AI, Paradox.

Sorry but we decided we actually want to make Hitler a challenge if you decide to fight him :colbert:
I know horrible decision.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Westminster System posted:

Unless Paradox copyrighted history recently.

Oh did you miss that? Yeah we just got it recently approved.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Demiurge4 posted:

Mushrooms aren't people :colbert:

I beg to differ! Mushrooms and Squids are greater individuals than any dumb apes!

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

Are we allowed to give primitive species a good tumble?

Asking for a friend.

"Friend"

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

zedprime posted:

The away team just confirmed the life signs, but its the strangest thing. There seems to be titsreproductive organs on everything!

There fixed it for you

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Strudel Man posted:

I'm just offering an explanation for why the mostly-humanoid set of body types we're seeing isn't that unreasonable. v:shobon:v The Liir are fine, and fun, but they're hardly obligatory.

The Liir for me are definitely obligatory :colbert:
Also I am gonna quote a great man which will explain everything on how an aquatic life form would be able to develop technology and metallurgy.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Wiz posted:

What better time for quality coding? #BallmerPeak

Well you gotta be a bit drunk to work in clausewitz 1 code...

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

pdxjohan posted:

Dont worry. You can always be assigned to code in the europa engine... Fix the ctds in ck1..

:psypop:

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Didn't plan to add it but I got annoyed while working that I couldn't have full-screen and tab to the development environment without going mental.

How to make programmers do stuff: make it really annoying. Programmers are really lazy and don't got the energy to deal with bullshit.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

VostokProgram posted:

Right-clicking 'go to diplomacy' will no longer be interpeted by the game as a desperate desire to crash to desktop.

Yeah damned Wiz, making Vicky such a casual game. I don't even have to fight the game to keep it running anymore. Completely dreadful development.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Mans posted:

reminds me of EU3's snake Bohemia.

It is Bohemian destiny and God given right to rule the Asian Steppe!

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Mans posted:

Technically Rome had very few, almost none, offensive wars. Virtually every single conflict was justified as defending Rome or a very important ally whose integrity is being put into question.

Rome was always the bullwark against tyranny and senseless aggression.

Rome sympathizing, literally worst person ever.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I was an early supporter of Hearts of Iron 3. I'm not saying you owe me but...

But you kinda are huh?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Demiurge4 posted:

If Stellaris comes with a good map editor I'll be spending stupid amount of time building scenarios. Hopefully modding won't be confined to editing text files.

Wouldn't be Paradox game if there was fancy tools.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Have any of you tried the magical -debug command line argument? In CK2 it turns on something I made a few years ago called script asserts, will make the scripts run a bit slower but it will output to he error log the exact piece of code that failed when it tried to execute the trigger/effect and sometimes even have a informative message on what went wrong.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Riso posted:

As usual, actual useful information for modding is not available without digging. Sticky that in the mod forum together with the other stuff! Or the FAQ area. Somewhere visible at least!

Think I did that one point long time ago, I know AGOT and EK uses it at least. Korbah usually complains that the errors aren't descriptive enough. Essentially it just outputs something like this:

code:
Script Assert failed: Scope.GetCharacter()->IsValid() && "Not correct scope set in HasOpinionModifierTrigger"
triggered in event: some_event.1

Groogy fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 11, 2016

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Oh this is so long time ago I had to look up how it worked again. The script asserts are enabled by running -debugscripts when you launch the game (through a shortcut or cmd.exe) and will make it output the errors to logs/error.log

Why you haven't seen it Dallan is probably because I think that the script rarely fails now days. I've made the language smart enough recently to deduce types/objects itself. So if you give it a title and the trigger/effect wants a character it will automatically convert it into the owner of the title. It can still happen on some occasions where it can't deduce it like if you use an unknown modifier with the has_character_modifier trigger, then it should output something in style with:

code:
Assert failed for 'has_character_modifier': _pModifier && "Unknown modifier"
Previous assert occured in Event '9999'
And no, these are never false positive, if these asserts popup, then that specific execution of the script failed. In case of triggers it means the trigger will always result in false value for instance.

e: Yes I just noticed I've misspelled occured, :dealwithit:

Groogy fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 11, 2016

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Since others were bragging about their playtime so do I, though I have my play time spread over 2 games....

Since I got a job at paradox I have a lot less time to actually play the games than I used to have. So have to aim low with my new years resolution is to reach 12 000 hours total of Paradox Games.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Larry Parrish posted:

Guess what I'm saying is, why does Paradox seem to work on one feature and then abandon it forever, like they seem to have more or less done with all the Muslim stuff.

Yeah because we haven't added/changed Muslims stuff in every expansion since SoI :rolleyes:
Pretty much every thing that we have ever released has gotten a rework or an addition at some point by some other expansion and I can give you several examples.
Muslims in several expansions but the one people primarily remember is Sons of Abraham.
Focuses is getting new stuff in Conclave.
Pagans got improved and new stuff in Charlemagne and in Horse Lords.
e: I would also argue Republics through Charlemagne since it gives you a way to play a republic that is not one of the pre-made one. Though republics got the Silk Road in Horse Lords as well.

But no you are right, we abandon the features forever and never touch it again.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jan 28, 2016

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

There's a big difference between "I have a pet peeve I want you to do" and what Larry was saying.
And Heresies got improved in Sons of Abraham, heck they were completely blank before Sons of Abraham. But of course we can always make more stuff and better. Just because you can see "Here's an area we can improve" doesn't mean we never improve those things at all.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Space Pussy posted:

Also, releasing Stellaris near Civ 6 and would be a way worse idea than near HOI4.

Why? They should be afraid of us for that not us. I've even gotten an old Civ programmer go "how did you do that for FIVE YEARS!?"(talking simply about ck2 expansion, can find it on my twitter) I might be pounding my own chest a bit but so far I see nothing better than stellaris except aurora. And aurora is freaking mental.

edit: Yes I an really biased, but stellaris is really freaking awesome!

Groogy fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 30, 2016

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

In-before EU: Dating Sim spinoff game

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Already been a big thing about that we can't have tractor beams or anti-gravity, don't remember exactly what, in the game because it can not be justified by the current known view of the scientific field of gravity etc. blah blah I don't really care I just want cool space battles really.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Koramei posted:

anyway there's a new Stellaris dev diary today with some intense mushroom action.

Flugsvamp Aliens best Mushroom Aliens

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

You guys are aware.... that not every species reproduces like Humans right?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

nothing to seehere posted:

Groogy has said he'll work on Vicky3 once he is done with CK2. When that is, is another question.

Yeah, problem is that I will never be done with CK2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Trogdos! posted:

Someday the anti-woman realism squad in paradox forums / reddit will break your spirit and you'll move on to more enlightened times

Or maybe it's squashing the hundredth prisoner rape mod that does you in?

Lol I love how in this specific context. The "enlightened" time is the most sexist time of all human history and somehow unintentionally becomes satire