Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Fellblade posted:

CK3 is a really solid product, but it might as well be a HD re-release of CK2.

Probably the most solid foundation Paradox has ever built.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Bold Robot posted:

What time today is the announcement expected?

9 PM CET IIRC

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

This is such a surreal moment for me.

good job, Wiz. I'm sure it'll be great!

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Mans posted:

Where are you reading this?

No armed conflicts?

Wiz did say that you can achieve a lot of things normally achieved by war with diplomacy. War's still on the table for those that want it.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

quote:

• Rather than a game where you learn how to play "correctly" by following a guide, the goal is for it to be the kind of game where you do what comes naturally and are able to easily understand why your actions led to certain consequences.

Lots of cool details but this one jumps out to me. One of the reasons why I stopped playing EU4 was because it always felt like I was doing things 'wrong', especially once mission trees were introduced.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

:allears:

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Acute Grill posted:

WW2 was the wild west of Tank Design

WW1 Russia would like a word.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I haven't seen Suzerain come up in here, but it's on sale and a lot of you would enjoy it. The game 's setting strongly resembles a Paradox mod in the style of presentation and what's emphasized, though it's a text-based adventure game with a little bit of chrome from mapgames. There are no real win conditions and it takes around 4-5 hours to explore and play the main narrative, though I will go back to try other paths.

To me the narrative and character development really stood out as well thought-out. The writers created an alternate world 1953 where you rise to power in a bitterly divided country and try to get your agenda done, mainly through dialog trees. Paradox players will quickly notice that the variables and triggers are pretty simple (the economy is at 4/10 in the below screenshot, and that's about as complicated as it gets) and often you just have to guess if your decisions will turn out well. I think this works fine in this format, but know that this is as almost as far from a Vicky-style simulation you can get. The politics and philosophy will also not blow your mind but you do have considerable freedom to pursue a variety of historicalish paths in a pretty fleshed-out scenario.

I can't recommend this game enough, it's an absolute blast.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Gort posted:

I'm guessing the idea was "We don't want any discussion of that sort of thing, delete the whole discussion and probe everyone in it" but it sounds like it should've been the instigator who got the probe, not the respondent too

TheMcD posted:

Paradox forums seem to make it quite clear that their modding strategy is "nuke it all from orbit" when it comes to war crimes or anything that would imply civilian casualties.

Pretty much, yeah. Considering the absolute dumpster fire that is the HOI4 steam discussions I guess I kind of get it.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Mans posted:

Not a single fascist or reichkomissariat regime has a working economy, fully depending on slave labor and a police state to beat their population into obedience.

I still have to do a Dengist Speer run, isn't that one of the exceptions?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

itt: paradox gets CANCELLED

FRAMED!

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Mans posted:

You'll probably love "A Legionary's life" if you haven't played it yet.

Not the same scope, but drat if it isn't a really fun game.

Hear, hear. I enjoyed every minute of it.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Mantis42 posted:

It wasn't in the launch version of the game, but that was more due to old Paradox not knowing much about Asian history. It got added with A House Divided iirc.

It wasn't in initially and was patched input in shortly before release after some (extremely disproportionate) backlash.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Pakled posted:

I haven't explored CK3's mod scene so I dunno if there's anything like it out there yet but all the various total conversion mods for CK2 really expanded its lifetime for me. After The End was amazing.

Godherja is worth checking out, although I suspect it's in development hell right now. It's the mod Daysbefore was talking about.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Hellioning posted:

After the End is releasing a CK3 version at some point.

Amazing artwork.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_J0PlLw-vI

This game just popped in my head today, it's a shame it got cancelled.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Star posted:

This feels like a strange change https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/ck3-changes-to-flavor-pack-pricing.1538700/
It also makes me worried about any future V3 DLCs.

Just when I started to feel human again.... :negative:

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

GrossMurpel posted:

I think you mean Steppe Wolfe

Seriously, if your mod doesn't have more than three Bulgarias are you even trying? :colbert:

I should try to find the Steppe Wolfe LP again.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Victoria 3 just had a big patch drop and is a good bit more put together than it was at launch. Not perfect yet though. Crusader Kings 3 is more stable, though there seems to be much less content than CK2 had.

Hate to admit this but the lack of substantial CK3 expansions is baffling.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

October 31st, 2012 is a day I will always remember. It was the day I became cynical, bitter, and distraught. You may call it an overreaction for me to feel this way simply because of the business practices of a single video game company, but let me explain what all of this means to me.

My life was thrown off balance and I never regained my footing after that day, because I lost my ability to respect. An essential part of being human is to feel respect for those who may or may not be deserving of it. But it is equally human to feel painful disillusionment when someone or something you respected turns out to be much less than you thought. But the level of betrayal I felt when Paradox announced their new DLC tore something from me that I'll never be able to recover. They tore away my ability to respect anything, and they tore away my ability to feel human.

Paradox Interactive was a company I respected, and their employees were people I looked up to. Crusader Kings, Europa Universalis, Victoria, and Hearts of Iron were all quality game series that combined historical accuracy with sandbox game worlds. These games may have been cartoony and humorous at times, but deep down they were always realistic and crafted with a level of detail and skill that won appreciation from gamers all across the internet. CK2 was their newest release, and the internet was in unanimous agreement that it was of unparallelled quality. Following it's long awaited release, Paradox began releasing quality DLC that raised the bar ever higher for Grand Strategy Games.

Then Sunset Invasion was announced. This was not just an announcement of DLC, it was announcement of Paradox Interactive's suicide. It was an expansion intended to completely disregard any historical accuracy, and instead shock the entire world with its lunacy. Paradox Interactive had gone off the deep end and raised the middle finger to everybody who stayed loyal to them. They had announced that they didn't care anymore, that they didn't care for their community, and they were going to go out of their way to sabotage everything they had spent years creating.

The pain I felt from this betrayal has destroyed me on an emotional level, and has deprived me of my primary source of entertainment. No longer can I play Grand Strategy games without remembering the day I ceased mattering to people I devoted myself to. Paradox had not just destroyed me or their company, they had destroyed the one force of stability in the world: Trust.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I don't know if you're joking but this actually exists already as "Six Ages: Ride Like The Wind".

The sequel to that one just came out as well!

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

*(Though still stuck on 1.8 for whatever reason.)

Godherja's next update has a complete overhaul of the magic system that's supposed to be amazing, it should be close to release though.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Should unlock in about 5 hours.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

What a ride.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

April 1st 1337 startdate confirmed for EU5.

quote:

So there has been a lot of speculation on the start date, where many of you have figured out the correct start date of 1st of April 1337.

So why have we picked that date? Well, there are many reasons why.

It starts before the Black Death, which creates an early game challenge.
France’s system of feudal loyalty is tested as Edward III is about to embark upon the Hundred Years’ War
There is still a colony on Greenland
We have a big Byzantium, but Ottomans are about to expand
The rise of Timur is soon to happen
Some powers are at their zenith, but facing big challenges, such as Mali, Delhi, or Yuan
Some others at their start, like the Aztecs, Qusqu, Majapahit, or the Ashikaga Shogunate
We get to model the transition from feudalism to modern states
We get to model the transition from feudal levies to standing armies
New institutions are blooming in Italy and the rest of Europe, such as the Renaissance or Banking
The HRE is in a moment of change, with 3 dynasties (Wittelsbach, Luxembourg, and Habsburg) competing for it, and the Golden Bull not yet enacted
The Catholic church is at its height, and military orders are crusading in northeastern Europe and the Mediterranean. But the Pope resides in Avignon, which will lead to the Western Schism with Rome.
England’s control in the isles is waning as Bruce loyalists press the advantage in the Scottish Wars of Independence, and the Gaelic Irish chieftains begin to reclaim large tracts from the English Lordship. Meanwhile the seeds for the last great Welsh rebellion are being sewn.
An intricate balance of power in Iberia between the Christian kingdoms, and the last Muslim footholds.
A different balance of powers in regions such as Eastern Europe, the Middle East, or South East Asia.
The Steppe Hordes and their successors of Eurasia from the Mediterranean to the Pacific.

and much more ..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Mentioning a bunch of stuff that's about to happen makes me wonder if historical events are going to be coming back in some way to guide nations on their path a bit more.

From the Johan files:

quote:

"This game will definitely have a lot of DHE [Dynamic Historical Events], more than any game we have ever released. However, that is only one way of many we have to get historical immersion in the game."

The whole thing is worth a read, it basically contains every tidbit of information we have so far.