Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Oh Chris King 100% has to be Victoria III, it's been long enough and he was also a big dude in Victoria II (as it says right there).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah CKII is in a real good place right now, going right for the sequel seems hasty

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Oh gently caress you Paradox media team, you can't keep playing games with my heart like this :mad:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Conversely, HoI4 and Stellaris didn't....

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Groogy posted:

You will die on a hill crowded by people that are wrong. How about that money that disappear to the eather because your pops spent too much on that random railway project in Mongolia which eventually crashes the world economy.
Ok but I don't see anything wrong with what you're describing? That sounds hella awesome and hilarious.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah Victoria II's economy doing things like crashing the world economy because of butterflies from some random French dude who bought too much bread or whatever makes it the most realistic economic simulation I have ever seen. Economics is a made up science that nobody really understands, and the entire world financial system is a whirling cloud of perfect chaos. The one thing that could use a rework is where money comes from and how it gets destroyed/poofed into the ether, but otherwise it's pretty drat awesome.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah, it's hilarious

E: That the guy who wrote Vicky II's economy was like a libertarian, I mean

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Communism being the objectively correct and most prosperous system is actually perfectly realistic :smuggo:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Well you can't really complain, that's just historically accurate. Fixing LF's suckiness would be like "fixing" machineguns for being too OP.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I was very confused and thought you were talking about a Shadowrun mod of some sort for a while there

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah I was all hyped for Victoria in Space/Distant Worlds but with an actual production budget, especially during early-ish development when they kept mentioning "pops" without elaborating farther.

Then we got.... Stellaris. Ugh. Wiz is really fixing it up, though.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Fleets have been tweaked to ignore mining stations unless directly ordered to attack them for a couple patches now.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

It's accompanied by making them much much rarer, like only a few per empire. They're now big centralized shipyards or fortresses, strategic assets that you want to capture/protect.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Control isn't tied fully to spaceports, if there are inhabited planets in the system you also need to capture them to gain full control. And planets can build fortresses and FTL inhibitors and poo poo to make you come conquer them instead of just bypassing.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I dunno if that really exists. The only thing I can think of with Kaiserreich-tier effort is, uh, Kaiserreich.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

After last year's tease they loving better announce Victoria III at PDXCon '18 or I will riot.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Fintilgin posted:

EUIV should be 1453 - 1750, with the game ending at the height of the game's colonial empires. No need to have them pitifully revolt against the late game player. You end in triumph.

Victoria should be 1750 - 1901

Hearts of Iron should be 1901-2001 and more about building your society, where you carve out your evil empire (or try to take them down) in the first half of the game and then tip-toe through an alt-history Cold War with the other major powers.

I don't think this really works, because the eras don't really match up to any major shakeups in the world that Paradox likes to start with. For example, the entire point of Victoria is that you play through the Victorian era in the aftermath of the Napoleonic Wars with the specter of revolution and liberalism challenging the old order of Europe while society is massively changed by new technologies. The 1700's just don't fit that paradigm and trying to make a game that can somehow do:

1. agrarian/artisan societies
2. colonial revolts of the 18th/19th centuries
3. the French Revolution equivalent and Napoleonic Wars
4. constantly looming threat of liberalism/later on communism
5. rapid industrialization and technological change
6. 19th century colonialism, indirect colonialism like spheres of influence, and global capitalism
7. the rise of nationalism
8. geopolitics in the modern age
9. the leadup to or even igniting of a world war
10. demographic changes that drove all these things

all at the same time and not be utter garbage and/or take 20 years and a billion dollars to make seems impossible. Ditto on trying to somehow effectively simulate WWI, WWII, and the first half of the Cold War, and the second half of the Cold War all in one package. Each one is a vastly different time period that could easily take up an entire game by themselves, you can't just cram everything in one game and expect it to magically work.

And that's just purely mechanical challenges for a hypothethical megacampaign which most people don't do. For example, most people want to play Hearts of Iron to fight the historical WWII, not continue the timeline of their Victoria game, and starting at any point before 1934 completely defeats the point of that.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 30, 2018

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Bronze Age game and MotE II, calling it now

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Oh......

I'll be honest I'm like 98% less excited now.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

It would have to be Spore, But Not poo poo to be worth a full $40-60 price tag and development cycle

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah Surviving Mars got me hyped when the concept was first announced but then I actually saw a trailer and the visual style killed it for me. It's petty, I know, but I just can't get into the gritty frontier survival when it looks like the Jetsons.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I'm fine with optimism, I don't necessarily require my Martian colony to be full of people freezing to death as they go blind at 40 from UV-induced cataracts. I would at least prefer that they also not live in 50's white suburban America and spend precious building materials on bars that are 3 stories tall and seat 10 people. Like, Surviving is literally in the title, act like you're actually trying to survive a harsh environment. Just dig a goddamn hole and hide in it like an actual smart human.

I guess the TL;DR is that, for me at least, the art style fundamentally doesn't mesh with the hardscrabble frontier struggle it's supposed to be and I can't reconcile them so all immersion is broken.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

RagnarokZ posted:

It's not a frontier struggle, it's basically set in the near-future, and things just haven't gone wrong as usual, why would we built some crappy horror story base on Mars as our first interstellar colony, why would it be so horrible anyways? Bright future, as used to be.

It's a frontier struggle as in you literally show up with nothing but some robots and have to build a functioning colony out of the limited supplies you brought and whatever's lying around. You're the very first settlers in a hostile frontier, months if not years from any help, which tends to be pretty hard. Like I said, I don't want it to be a horror show where everyone dies horribly, it can be uplifting and positive, but the realities of showing up with literally nothing and 6 months later having these massive wasteful domes instead of farming potatoes in a bunker kills the feeling for me. It can be a happy bunker, with an international crew working together in harmony to build the future while everybody is well-fed and warm, but bootstrapping from "empty desert" directly into "thousands of tons of fancy glass that's 98% wasted space" breaks any sense of realism or immersion.

I guess my complaints fundamentally boil down to "it's not ~~realistic~~" which is a really dumb complaint to have about video games but space stuff is like the one thing I sperg out about so :shrug:

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Feb 12, 2018

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Victoria III is finally gonna get made but it's gonna have lootboxes and be optimized for tablets

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

popewiles posted:

The good reason is money. That is the only reason the board of a public company makes someone CEO. The board thought her background in gambling software would create the best return for their shareholders relative to the other candidates.

Lootboxes. I swear to god they're adding lootboxes somewhere somehow.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Stellaris is good, though it has some glaring flaws like the tile system that'll have to be ripped out. HoI 4, OTOH.....

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

HoI certainly has the potential to be good but the utterly incompetent AI put me off it and I'm gonna give them a while to fix it before going back.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

That should be literally impossible unless you were playing before.... A House Divided, was it? Anyways, in one of the expansions, once The Slavery Debate event fires, it absolutely 100% prevents you from outlawing slavery until the Civil War happens so the only way to avoid it is to game the system and outlaw slavery super early before it can fire.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Well, whatever opinions people have right now will most likely be invalidated in literally a matter of hours when the looming massive overhaul drops.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Feb 22, 2018

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah almost every source you're gonna come up with is outdated, the way territory works has been completely overhauled in the update that dropped yesterday. Now you can only colonize planets that are in a system you've claimed by building a starbase in.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Doesn't PDM completely snap the economy in half with all the new goods? I seem to remember that in the one or two games I played with it almost every country in the world, even the GP's, were in a constant bankruptcy death spiral while I had millions and millions because I was the only one who bothered to build the pharmaceutials factory or whatever.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

A friend let me play their copy of Surviving Mars for a few hours, and it was surprisingly fun to start. Establishing the basic infrastructure with a handful of drones and limited resources was awesome. Very much felt like carving a little piece of civilization out of an untamed frontier, and getting the first dome ready felt like a real accomplishment. Then the first twelve colonists moved in, and I mostly just let the game run on max speed until the mandatory 12 day "prove you can sustain a colony" ban on bringing in more colonists ran out. Once I could import more colonists, things got interesting again. I filled up my first dome and very quickly needed a second, my population's exploding and I've finally got enough people to work all the basic factories.... and then I realize I have no idea what to do next. About 30 Sols in and I can now produce everything I need on Mars.

I guess eventually I'll need to move my mines when their deposits run out, but I could just set the game to max speed and walk away from the computer for an hour and be fine. I can produce every material I need on Mars now, so the only reason to trade with Earth is to make money to outsource research with and even then that's just speeding up something I could get by fastforwarding. I don't even need to import colonists, the nurseries are packed with kids. Up until now I've always had a goal. First I had to get water and oxygen, then I had to start making fuel, then I had to bring in the first colonists and make sure we could grow enough food, then I had to get a basic industrial base to produce polymers and machine parts and electronics locally..... and now there's nothing. I'm a few hours in with about 40 colonists in 2 basic domes and the game is over. I have everything I need. I've successfully Survived Mars. I could build some more domes, but why? So I can have two polymer factories instead of one? I don't need more polymers. I don't need anything. There's only expansion for the sake of expansion and making my numbers bigger.

Beyond that, the worker assignment AI is super broken, my botanists are working in the mine and my geologists are working at the farm. You can manually assign people to jobs that match their specialties but it's already hell having to manage 30 people, it would be impossible trying to manage a larger colony. And colonists can't really travel between domes from what I can tell, so you can't have a housing dome where everybody sleeps and relaxes and then a farm or factory dome next door that they walk to during their shift to work in. Every dome has to have housing AND amenities AND whatever productive activity you need so they all end up being 85% the same basic buildings repeated over and over with one farm or one factory or one mine differentiating them.

So yeah TL;DR Surviving Mars was really fun at first but the game is over a couple hours in. Just buy Planetbase instead, it costs half as much and lasts five times as long.

E: Oh, I did love the music. The radio stations are a super neat little feature, and I totally fell in love with the Space Western one (Martian Frontier, I think?). So yeah the music is great, and the Chinese man playing frontier music and talking about how much he loves baseball is amazing. Just a shame the rest of the game can't live up to it.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 20, 2018

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

boner confessor posted:

this game is a city builder at heart, just with some weird sci fi twists. this is like saying "i've put down some residential, some commercial, some industrial, i have utilities, my tax revenue is going up. i have successfully Sim City'd"

I disagree. With the idea that good cuitybuilders end like this, I mean. Cities: Skylines is one of my favorite games of all time and I have like 500 hours in it, I love city builders. Surviving Mars certainly wants to be a city builder, but it's terrible at it. There's nothing to build. In Sim City or C:S there's always something you don't have that needs doing. People are angrily tweeting at me about missing needs, or that part of town I built at the start when I was broke needs to be redeveloped with proper emergency coverage, or I need to rework the public transit system, or a million other things. I'm not feeling that on Mars.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

HoI has basically zero politics beyond "you're at war/you're neutral/you're allies" and no civilian economy/trade/development/anything else not directly related to the war effort. It's very much a wargame where the main thing you do is push divisions around and blow poo poo up, with a side serving of managing the war industry and logistics. If you want to fight a world war it's great fun, if you want a more traditional grand strategy it's not.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I can't imagine playing EU4 without Art of War, but yeah you can 1000000% pass on most of the recent patches/DLC.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

uPen posted:

You need to buy them HoD and House Divided so that they own the complete version of the best Paradox game.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

The one thing HoI 4 really needs is to overhaul fuel to be an actual concern, but that's not really adding new resources as much as making what's already there work better. Stellaris could probably use some kind of more in-depth industrial layer but then again my suggestions for most Paradox games basically always boil down to "turn it into Victoria" so take that with a mountain of salt.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

CharlestheHammer posted:

Man what does Korea have against the Germans or the scots.

Those are Finnish posessions

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

100%, the entire thing that makes Vicky so good is that you don't have magical control over everything. You're not some magical god-force that has perfect knowledge and control, you're trying to run a real country like a real human and those rear end in a top hat capitalists :argh: keep doing things you don't want or can't control. It's also what makes CKII the second-best PDX game, it's about actual humans doing actual human things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Anything you produce that isn't bought by your pops/factories then goes on the common world market that anybody can buy from, no exceptions, so it is extremely possible that the guy you're currently in a genocidal hellwar with is just buying all your extra rifles/ammo/tanks/whatever and using them against you. Or at the very least it's your steel feeding their artillery factories, and there's nothing you can do about it. That's one of my biggest problems with Vicky, for a game so heavily focused on the economy there's basically no way to do economic warfare and embargo/blockade your rivals or whatever.