Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord

axeil posted:

Honestly I thought the only reason people loved it so much was the famous Crete legislative Let's Play with the dreaded :argh: Populist Party :argh:

Is there a link to this? I love reading about these shenanigans.

I've only played a little bit of Rome because I started as the Seleucids without playing the tutorial, so it probably wasn't ideal circumstances. Keep meaning to give it another bash, and I'll definitely play it in preparation if the sequel is what's announced

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord
The gsg stuff is great because when I was trying the mod out as the Ottomans I clicked it out of curiosity and it did what it said on the tin, and as a result it completely annihilated my workforce and army because of the many non-accepted pops and I collapsed amazingly shortly afterward. Ethic cleansing never pays, kids!

HPM is probably my favourite mod; NNM is the base of GSG and HPM and many others if you want a more vanilla-ish experience. HFM is a spinoff of HPM that adds more flavour stuff.

I love alt-history stuff so I'd say definitely give Napoleon's Legacy a go, it's my second most played after HPM; there's a few more popular-ish ones but Normandy mod is the only other one coming to mind right now and I can't find it right now.

HPM: http://www.moddb.com/mods/historical-project-mod
HFM: http://www.moddb.com/mods/historical-flavour-mod
Napoleon's Legacy: https://pastebin.com/sN1g69sr (could be a newer version of it around)

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I still can't believe 30 million people died in the Taiping rebellion.

Reading about that was one of the first times that I realised world history is way, way bigger and more interesting (/horrifying) than just eurocentric stuff. Even looking at the list of wars by death toll on Wikipedia a hell of a lot are China having yet another genocidal hellwar with itself. Taiping rebellion definitely takes the cake because more deaths than WW1 in a total war with Jesus' younger brother is just insane

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord
The best part about going back to Rome is hearing all the notification etc sounds and realising that CK2 just lifted them after getting a lot of unplaced deja vu

Also whipping Pyrrhus' rear end as Rome then almost immediately becoming a godlike power is hella rad

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord

Senor Dog posted:

Prussia is boring as hell unless you’re a wehrb. I suggest Spain since they have a good amount of resources and the Philippines.

Alternately, my first game was with piedmont and I was able to form Italy by playing the diplo and prestige game. Northern Italy has a lot of good resources as well.

The hell? Prussia are one of the countries with the best historical plot if that makes sense, seeing as you have clearly defined goals of uniting the north then forming the empire then just getting increasingly swole. Same thing as Piedmont but with less wrangling over rushing prestige so sicily don't beat you to getting the rest of the countries to be annexed by them (gently caress you sicily)

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord

Jazerus posted:

*stares at charles II-esque self in mirror* i'm...0/0/0?

lmao

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord

:lol::lol:

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord
gulags: actually not a bad thing, more like cool-ags

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord
Yeah vicky is v good for that. Precious memories of my advanced yet small South German army heroically fighting against a French army 4 times their size and inflicting enormous casualties in a valiant last stand (seriously getting the machine gun tech is insane)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord

karmicknight posted:

Yeah, the army being constructed of literally your population of soldiers is a very good mechanic and allows for some of the best interactions with the internal political sphere.

Mobilisation is the cherry on top where you can bulk out your army with non-soldier pops, but if you lose too many of them you can really damage your economy - as well as tanking it in the short term since your working pops aren't working any more