Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Tahirovic posted:

It will be interesting to see how much of an advantage, if any, you get from designing ships on your own. If the AI is too good at it, why do it yourself? If the AI is too bad, you have to do it manually. Now I wonder what the colours between black and white will be.

Basically the whole reason behind having a full on templating system. If there's actually enough depth in the ship design to have significantly different viable strategies, you'd much rather have templated designs so you don't have to worry about the AI's auto designs being highly suboptimal or whatever. Set up your templates (or download someone's from the workshop if you're really not into that), save em, never think about them again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Baronjutter posted:

I love designing units, if the scale and focus of the game is such that my designs are meaningful and the combat system and it's feedback lets me quickly notice the subtle differences between my designs. If Stellaris some how has automated combat that still provides enough obvious feedback on how my designs are doing I'll be all over it. Or just let the AI design most ships and hand craft weird special ships like I would in SMAC.

Yeah, if you're going to have elaborate designs you really need good feedback on them. With a hands-off automatic system like Paradox games, I hope the combat reports are very detailed and let you know everything you need to know about how things performed with your designs.

I think the worst one I played in this regard was Star Ruler 1, I sent a ship off to combat, looked back later and there was nothing there. No combat alert, no combat feedback, literally nothing even telling me what happened. And that game has a pretty in-depth designer.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Bold Robot posted:

For me it just comes down to whether it's a meaningful choice - if not then I don't care about the feature. Like, EU4 in theory has "division design" since you can have exactly the mix of inf/art/cav that you want. In practice you want the same unit makeup the vast majority of the time, so there's not much meaningful choice there. In HoI it's different of course because there are different types of divisions, but I guarantee you there ends up being an optimal makeup for each of infantry, armor, mountain, etc. divisions that you almost never want to deviate from. Like, you know there are going to be guys coming into the thread complaining about getting their rear end kicked and the standard goon advice will be "oh you fell into a trap in the unit designer, here just make your divisions like this." I'd love to be proven wrong but as of right now it looks like complexity with no payoff.

Yeah I'm interested in how it will work out too, if it will be like this or not. I think a big part of the consideration when designing divisions is probably what your industry can sustain. You want more armor or mechanization where possible, but you need to have the materials to support the production and reinforcement of that. You might go with more Medics if you have serious manpower issues. All of those things might depend on just who becomes your enemy or just doesn't want to trade with you. You might design your default divisions with more Mountain troops if you are a country with tons of mountainous terrain nearby. I can see where it could be interesting if it works right.

Also like Dibujante said, I like the idea of division design being more like an RPG feedback loop. Gain XP, spend it to expand division size and diversify, make it harder to lose divisions, etc. But I'll have to see how it pans out in practice.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Was a good WWW this week. Watching Poland get horribly steamrolled makes me realize there's almost certainly going to be an achievement to play as Poland and repel the German invasion.

I'm kind of curious as to what kind of game mechanics might support playing as a smaller/weaker nation like that. A lot of things (like IC and research capacity I think) are pretty hard fixed just based on starting conditions as I understand it. I would assume diplomacy of course being the biggest part of it, but I wonder if there are strategies or available to really support a big military for smaller nations.

The Poland WWW was an interesting look but it was hard to tell much since the AI was broken. :v:
I imagine many nations might have the option to go Fascist and invade some smaller countries to grab some additional IC before the war breaks out.

I think the UI looks fine personally, but that's also a really easy thing to mod so I imagine it will be one of the first things you'll see on the workshop. The only thing bugging me about it right now is all the panning around in some of the research windows, I think it was the national policy one specifically, looked very large horizontally. Maybe there's a zoom option though.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Randarkman posted:

I would assume surviving as Poland without allying Germany would be to basically go the other route, go communist and pray to almighty God that the Soviet Union will accept an alliance. Surviving on your own, or even supported by Britain and France seems to be a long shot since those two are too far away to be able to do much to stop the Germans from rolling all over you.

I would imagine that an achievement for Poland is going to be to occupy all (or atleast part) of Germany.

Yeah that's probably it, Take Berlin as Poland.

My experience with Poland allying with the Soviets in HOI2 was that they would either A) Not move troops in to help at all despite being my allies, or B) Would start moving them in well after Germany had come smashing through. It'd be nice if you could ally early and say, "hey can you uh, send some guys up to my front lines ahead of time? Just in case?"

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I'm guessing part of it is also that they are playing at Speed 3 without pauses most of the time so they are trying to Go Fast, and make mistakes because of that. If you want a better look at the UI you should probably look at videos or screenshots elsewhere.

Also probably many parts of the UI are still a work in progress so I wouldn't be surprised if things were still being moved around periodically.

There's some pretty packed looking menus in there, most of it doesn't look that bad to me but that might be because I'm mentally comparing it to HOI2. Still the worst looking part to me is not being able to queue up research, that seems like it should be a no-brainer because of how often research finishes.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Mans posted:

Are you sure they didn't give you troop control at the start of the war and you didn't notice it?

The AI in HoI2 really likes to dump their armies into their human allies and if you have that pop-up disabled it can go unoticed.

Entirely possible, it was a while ago and that wasn't something I knew to look for. :goleft:

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Mans posted:

"we don't know what we're researching but damnit we're close to it" is actually really close to a lot of WW2 research.

Haha. Yeah that's interesting, I had noticed that progress bar before with nothing selected but I didn't know if it was just a bug or what. If you do actually stockpile research points that's a lot better, but I know there are still going to be times when I'm going to be in the research tab like, 'I just want to go right down this line' and it'd be nice to just queue them all up at once.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Wouldn't that put you way ahead of time in certian techs though?

Then you'd just be incurring massive penalties for researching a tech 3 years ahead of time without realizing it.

Yes, but sometimes you're already behind on a certain tech line or don't mind researching one that's a little ahead (or it may become not-ahead by the time you got to it in the queue). It was just an example anyway.

Regarding the DevDiary:

quote:

And of course, both of them have the Old Guard trait, which reduces experience gain by 25%, which is a rather bad trait.

So what's the alternative here? Don't assign any sort of commander to an army? Or don't put troops into an Army?

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 22, 2016

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

I think that means both can have the Old Guard trait.

Yeah someone else just mentioned that in the thread, that makes sense.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

The one big thing I like about the Civilian model in DW is that it sort of encourages you to get your military ships blown up.

quote:

So, if you’re doing manual micromanagement you’re not getting that planning bonus. But, if you’re doing the proper planning, then you’ll be able to have a big advantage when you execute that plan.

I really like that they're giving you bonuses for using the planning system in HOI4, that whole system in general looks like a lot of fun and really intuitive.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Gamerofthegame posted:

I don't think it's a fair comment. It's designed for battlegroups of generals making small, planned pushes and for field generals to poop out troops along a border or, in a risky sense, just paint a big line somewhere in deep. It lets you spread a selected force out in some tangibly balanced manner, but you can't just paint a line half way up in the world and say "alright go here and kill everyone without further management."

Yeah the idea behind it is to reduce micromanagement by building a hierarchy. You tell your generals what to do, and they manage the details. And you get a (presumably large) planning bonus for not trying to micromanage each individual division. It sounds like a win/win to me.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I'm very slowly reading through the Stellaris article between interruptions at work but I did quickly want to touch on this, because from what I can tell so far it seems the battle planner is the exact opposite. Its a tool that sorta lets you tell your generals what to aim for and they they'll try to do it by marching straight for the objective. You still need to intervene when you see your units not performing well, or are about to get themselves surrounded or are marching right past a flanking enemy.

From the looks of it your troops will happily march into oblivion if you don't step in and stop them.

That's not the opposite of what I was saying at all? I guess I wasn't real clear in my post. I'm not saying there's a big AI system that will react to odd things happening and adjust, I'm saying that the planning bonus encourages the player to make better plans and not micromanage individual divisions unless they need to.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Can't decide if I should pick up The Cossacks for EU4 and try out the new patch, or pick up Horse Lords + Conclave and try out CK2 with all the new stuff I haven't touched in ages.

Generally I'm a much bigger fan of EU4 but the new stuff in CK2 sounds pretty cool. How does 'reinforcement' work now? Can you actually refill your armies without dismissing them now?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Didn't help make the decision all that much easier really, both sound pretty exciting :v:

It sounds like they changed the military mechanics of CK2 a bit with the new patch/xpac? Is there a good breakdown on what's different now?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I think tweaking building layouts and adjacencys and such can be a lot of fun in the right game, like Anno 1404 as an example where it's great because it's a core focus of the game and quite complex. But I think it's definitely yet to be seen if this system will be particularly fun or interesting to manage yourself or not.

Demiurge4 posted:

There seems to be an option to allow the AI to remodel planets. So you could make planets perfect before you release them, or at least the Capitol of a new sector.

I'm guessing the reason you can't just practically do that is because tiles are based on pops, and pops take a while to grow. And can shift over time even, by the sound of it.

If it became a real problem mechanically I would assume they could just abstract out planet tiles from sectors entirely.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I don't want the game to be about nothing but painting the map and shooting things, I want there to be other things for me to focus on. And with the people who live on these planets being such an integral part of the game itself, rather than just tax payers, it makes sense for the game to go into greater detail about what's happening on each one to affect your empire as a whole.

I agree, and I think the sector system sounds really good, basically what I was hoping for from the get go.

It really does sound like there's a good chance we'll get Stellaris before HOI4 at this point.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Answers a lot of questions I had about them, looks really good.

Garrison Area: Was wondering if you could use this to 'area attack' when the enemy has scatter control of provinces (like we saw in the last WWW) and it sounds like you can, which is great.

Assign Divisions: I was worried it might be annoying if you needed to split/shuffle troops around a lot between groups but sounds like it'll be pretty easy.

Planning Bonuses: You don't even lose your planning bonus if you decide to take manual control over troops already in a plan.

My hype level keeps swinging back and forth between this and Stellaris.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I know that HoI4 won't be using the order of battle stuff from 3, but does it have some other system for organizing units in groups so you can quickly adjust plans for say, a whole theatre at once without having to drag select them to do it?

You can create large scale Theatres as you see fit, and assign Armies under them. Within an Army you can assign Control Groups as part of a Battle Plan. Though I'm not sure if those groups are a permanent form of organization, or just a part of the active Battle Plan.

PleasingFungus posted:

To be clear, it looks like you don't get the planning bonus for whatever you manually order your guys to do, but you can give manual orders & then let your guys go back to the plan afterward, at which point they get their bonuses back.

That would make sense, but where did you read that? The OP sounded pretty clear that they still got the bonus even if given manual orders.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

PleasingFungus posted:

precisely. solving this issue is exactly what I thought the planning system is for, but...?

Yeah that's got me wondering the same thing now. The way you described it seems like it would actually make more sense than the way it seems to actually be.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

SeaTard posted:

CK2 level of provinces is what I would need to be able to play it, any more than that and I would never be able to keep track of everything.

The various area-controlling tools with battle plans combined with the fact that most other things operate on 'regions' instead of just by provinces makes me feel like it should be pretty manageable. If everything was by province then I'd be right there with you.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Empress Theonora posted:

I kind of want to play in a federation just because it seems narratively satisfying to do so. :v:

Edit: Have there been any Stellaris gameplay videos yet? I'd like to see how things like the map work in practice since it's so different looking from the mapgames I'm used to.

It's old but there's this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRp7T5irXTQ

If you've played Space Empires 4 or AI War, that seems to be pretty close to the style of map system this game will use.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

dublish posted:

They keep calling the German player their best, but it looks to me like he keeps committing unforced errors.

Streaming + Unpausable + Tons of stuff to manage means you make a whole lot of mistakes.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Pretty much strategy games in a nutshell, dating back at least as far as Warcraft 1 MP 'no rush' matches.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I had to look up what the you guys were even talking about ... I've never even heard of Galactic Inheritors before. Sounds like it is pretty awful though!

Even has a Galatic Ledger and Casus Belli. :goleft:

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

It's a low res screenshot taken from a video, pretty hard to judge how nice it looks from that.

Development started May 2013 apparently.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Krill Nye posted:

I haven't seen this posted here yet, a Paradox forums user did some digging in the HoI4 website source and came up with some interesting tidbits. It looks like a May 25th release and a €40/$40/£30 price point.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/changes-to-the-hoi4-website-and-some-speculation.913602/

That would be cool if true, wonder when Stellaris is supposed to hit though. Late April through Early June is completely stacked for games for me, which is great because I will have virtually 0 free time to play any of them.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Stellaris looks uh, absolutely nothing like Moo2. Unless your basis of comparison is 'is a 4x'. In which case that's even still pushing it.

Alchenar posted:

I want something that's tries to really grapple with the way that going up a civlisation level would fundamentally change what the player's priorities are or even what seems relevant.

And like, this is pretty much a real feature of the game? I mean it just depends on exactly what you're talking about, but the whole structure of the game shifts pretty significantly as you progress. Specifically, as you reach the mid-game and territories have largely been staked out already, things shift towards being more like a Grand Strategy game. Where politics and factions and the like become increasingly more important.

And from what they've said, scenarios should be pretty customizable so if you wanted to start well behind the curve of the rest of the galaxy, you could probably set it up to do so.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 15, 2016

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Since they have an elected President, I would imagine he would get to pick the name when it's created.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I was not prepared for May 6th. I don't know what's going on with that timeframe this year but there's about 7 games I'm interested in coming out within a month of each other, it's kind of insane.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Orv posted:

Do you want to spiral into a hellhole of terrible UI and the complexity of a small scale nuclear operation? Distant Worlds exists.

Also Dominions 4, if you want the fantasy equivalent with decent multiplayer.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Long shot but I'm trying out Warlock2 with the big fan-expansion pack and I'm getting some weird texture seams:

It's worst around the spinning Selected Plane animation in the lower right. But you can also see it on the UI at the top. There's also a lot of issues with icons not looking clean, and fonts being blurry unless I turn off AA in game.

I have no idea if this is a bug with the Renaissance mod or not because if I try to disable it the game just crashes :shrug:

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Zohar posted:

confession: I like stellaris

I like it a fair bit too, but I don't want to spend a whole lot of time on it right now because I have a feeling by the end of June it will be VERY good.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Gamerofthegame posted:

Mixed. You need to read up on things to know what to do and there's a few things where it's hard to get feedback on how well you're doing (boats mostly) but actually doing things and information for the most part is p ez.

Yeah more or less this. It's really not hard at all to just jump in and start playing, there's lots of info available in game and it's surprisingly not that hard to understand the mechanics despite how complicated it is.
But actually putting together a good strategy and knowing how to build good templates, balance production/construction, and so on is pretty tough because so many things in the game have long term but critical consequences.

And as mentioned there are some UI bits that are fiddly. Some of them work fine once you understand them (aircraft in general will make you scratch your head for a while). And some useful map overlays are missing entirely, and the map itself can get impossible to read at times due to some issues with how it displays stacks/arrows/etc.

But overall it's really good and feels like a completely finished and well polished game right out of the gate.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Star posted:

The air part of HoI4 isn't that complicated. Click on the air base you want to use, press the add air wing button and decide which plane type you want to base there. Wait for them to arrive. If you want to have more planes there, you press the number to the left of the planes and draw the slider to the number you want, that makes it so that any new planes produced will be added to that wing. After that, select the wing and right click the region you want to operate in to deploy them there. Then left click the region and decide the mission(s) you want them to do. If you want to move them to another air base you just select them again and right click the new base. The same goes for making them operate in a new region. It's like 5 clicks to set up everything.

Yeah it makes sense once you understand how it works. I think the thing that confused me is just that the left side of the screen is the 'region' view and the right side are one or more 'airbase' views, and the two are totally disconnected. But when you click on an airbase, it automatically brings up the region view for that base as well, so it makes you think the two things are directly related.

Like I sat there for a few minutes trying to figure out why I couldn't merge fighter wings in an airbase until I realized they were running missions in different regions and then it kind of clicked.

Pylons posted:

Fighter bonuses get buffed if you use them in a less-than-100 wing anyway, and having 100 CAS in a group means that most of the time most of those planes will be sitting and doing nothing, since if say, 50 of those planes are supporting a battle, the other 50 cannot split off and join another battle. I usually make CAS wings of 30 for this reason, but it's pretty tedious!

Yeah I hope they revise this so it's less busywork somehow.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

corn in the bible posted:

You can definitely tell that hoi4 took three years to make and stellaris maybe one

And it is very accessible and its loving fantastic

Stellaris had 3 years of development time too, development apparently started on both around similar times. Doesn't say anything about the size of the dev/testing teams though. It definitely feels extremely underdeveloped by comparison.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Darkrenown posted:

I never got into the witcher 2 because the tutorial bugged out both times I tried it :shrug:

Funny enough, the tutorial wasn't even in the game originally. They added it later down the line (in the EE maybe?) and it was always buggy and completely pointless, as the main game pretty much teaches you how to play as you go anyway. I think it was a reactionary attempt to fix the big complaint people had about how the Prologue of the game was the hardest part of the whole game, but then they fixed the balance of that so... :shrug:

Also Witcher 3 was crazy buggy and crashes on release and bricked a few video cards even (some screens wouldn't limit framerate at all and you'd hear your video card fan start going nuts while reading books or stuff like that), so it's kind of a bad comparison anyway. Didn't have a single problem with HOI4 on release other than the AI and lesser bugs.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I dunno, I had to shelve Witcher 3 for a couple of weeks right after release because I got:
1) Random lockups any time I'd read books/notes/etc
2) Random crashes and freezes pretty much at any time
3) Consistent crashes in certain specific quests (All Fathers Eve always crashed in the same place every time)
4) Tons of weird physics issues though those were mostly funny rather than a problem (ala Skyrim)
5) Previously mentioned video card issue though mine was smart enough to not brick itself.

There was also some fun stuff how it wouldn't work right at all if your nVidia drivers were too old but the latest drivers also had extra bugs in them.

It wasn't like it was just me either, there was quite a lot going around right at launch about how buggy it was.

The PS4 version was also basically unplayable on launch as I recall but that's another story.

Regardless I basically had 0 technical problems with HOI4 on release and it feels like a pretty complete game as-is (though more is always welcome). Stellaris is a different story of course but I still had 0 technical problems with that one.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Sep 27, 2016

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Gort posted:

I find Witcher and Paradox games to both be really good on the whole and wish their employees wouldn't fight. You can both be good, it's OK.

I agree, I was just saying I thought that post Slime Bro Helpdesk posted was extra funny because I had so many release issues with W3.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

It's actually significantly less linear than the FFX Sphere Grid even, which is mostly composed of straight lines when you actually flatten it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Baronjutter posted:

ES2 recently got ruined by its latest DLC adding an atrociously implemented "hacking" system. There's a lot good about Stellaris, don't let a few of the most vocal spergy goons ruin what's a pretty ok game.

Fantastic score though, ES2 has amazing music that makes Stellaris' feel bland as poo poo.

You should be able to turn off Xpacs individually in ES2, I believe that's how EL worked anyway. I just skipped buying that one in particular because it sounded like a tedious mess (like basically every other espionage system in a 4x game).