Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Tim Cook? How many divisions has he got?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

:discourse:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

GrossMurpel posted:

What's the largest sovereign country Tim Cook could successfully invade if he spends his personal wealth on an army?

Costa Rica?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

As much as I'd love Q3/Q4 2022 I feel like it's going to be Q1 2023, but I also haven't been following things extremely closely.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

How far along is Elder Kings? Kinda hype for that despite never playing Elder Kings for CK2.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

AnoHito posted:

If every one of their DLC was like sunset invasion, I’d be buying a whole lot more of them.

I've wanted an alien invasion DLC for HOI4 for ages. :smith:

HOI2 even had the alien invader tag and an event (that you had to manually trigger) for it, it's just begging to make a comeback.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

OperaMouse posted:

Isn't there some alt history book of some lizard alien species who first visited in the medieval age, and then came back to invade in WW2 only to be stunned by the tech advancement speed of humans?

Yeah, it's a whole Harry Turtledove series.

The quality is as you would expect it to be, between the concept and the fact that it's Turtledove.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I dunno, I remember really enjoying the Timeline-191 books in my late teens (I only started with Blood & Iron and onward).

I went back and read How Few Remain and the Great War trilogy in that series a few years ago and... my opinion is pretty mixed. How Few Remain is hot trash, the others in the Great War series I barely remember reading for the most part. The interwar stuff in the American Empire I remember being really entertaining, but that's also an entertaining period of time in the actual timeline, so :shrug:

It's airport fiction either way.

quote:

Worldwar aside, a lot of his alternate history stuff ends up just recreating a different historical event somewhere else.

My favorite will always be his very original character Irwin Rommel Erwin Morrel.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

lmao PDXCON is back and tickets cost 500 euros.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Vichan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_J0PlLw-vI

This game just popped in my head today, it's a shame it got cancelled.

I played a build of it at the PDX booth at Gamescom 2014.
At that stage in its dev it... wasn't good. Or memorable at all.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Anno posted:

I kind of hope that one of the reasons it’s “presented by Xbox” is because it’ll be a new Battletech (or I guess Shadowrun?).

Crimson Skies strategy game baby let's go

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

gradenko_2000 posted:

I was more surprised to learn that the Star Trek mod for Stellaris actually starts at the Enterprise/Captain Archer stardate and setting. I wonder how well that manages to handle the Temporal/Xindi Wars, and whether it can credibly transition into something that looks like the TOS era (never mind the TNG/DS9 eras)

It does the cosmetic transition very well. As the timeline progresses, your leaders transition uniform styles according to the date. It's pretty neat. Likewise for ship aesthetics.

The Xindi Wars are abstracted via event chain and not as an actual declared war between empires. While I've never seen the AI lose the Xindi event chain, I definitely more often than not see the Federation get formed in wonky ways, usually without the Andorians.

Edit: talking about New Horizons here, I'm not sure how New Civilizations handles it since their design seems to hew much closer to the vanilla Stellaris gameplay.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Dramicus posted:

It's clearly a low-tech world in Battletech.

I'd give my left nut for a Battletech GSG.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Speaking of Paradox announcements that were big and then somehow vanished: how's that Sims competitor they announced been coming along? iirc wasn't it supposed to release into EA this year still?

Edit: oh, delayed until March apparently. Still weird not to have heard anything since announcement.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

ilitarist posted:

Finally, a proper game from Paradox in their established franchise, not some unrelated game merely published by Paradox.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/ghost-signal-a-stellaris-game-is-available-now.1600825/

It's not being developed by Paradox either. Or at least not by PDS, which is what everyone usually means when they say it's being developed "by Paradox".

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

First post: I really need more events!

Second post: nooooo not those kind of events!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

End of an era, dude is really one of the unsung greats imo.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Paradox definitely doesn't own the Battletech IP, because HBS didn't own it either. Microsoft is still the ultimate owner of the IP for video games (and Topps owns the IP to the tabletop franchise itself afaik).

Paradox now owns the IP to the Battletech game released by HBS.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Staltran posted:

If they did 1337-1648 or something like that for not-EU5, where would that leave an eventual EU5? Not that they can't have two games in the same timeframe, but it seems pretty unlikely to me.

EU5 1337-1648
March of the Eagles 2 Unnamed Title 1649-1835

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Also unless you're in some of the more extreme economy laws, your market isn't an island onto itself -- everyone knows you can manage your own import/export routes to other markets, but I think a lot of people overlook that other markets will also initiate import/export routes to/from your market themselves as well. It's an easy notification to overlook when it happens, and it's why you'll be running a huge deficit of <material> and suddenly that deficit clears itself -- because an AI nation saw the prices for Widgets were insanely high in your market because of the shortage and it initiated its own export route into your market to take advantage of it.

You can also influence prices to a degree by selecting the good in the market screen and choosing to focus on imports or exports for that particular good via tariff policy. By default it seeks a balance between the two.

gradenko_2000 posted:

is that about right?

Not quite. You are running a total deficit of 99 iron in your market (see "Market Balance" at the top of the window in your screenshot) because you are exporting too much, which makes sense because your tariff law is set to focus on exports for Iron. For your iron mines themselves this is fine -- it means their goods are being purchased and are in demand, and so they're probably turning a nice profit. But it's not so good for the availability of iron in your market, which you ideally want to be at something close to equilibrium.

Drone fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Mar 15, 2024

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Yeah, as Sweden (or really any country) you'll be better off protecting raw materials and exporting finished or intermediary goods (like steel) imo. Unless you're going for an extraction-based economy strat, which is certainly valid depending on the country you're playing, what your goals are, and which market you're in.

As Sweden your biggest obstacle to that will be not having a great supply of coal, which is where the map-painting comes into play. Benin is one of the go-to opening colony spots for many players for that reason.

Drone fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Mar 15, 2024

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Quote is not edit.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

:confused:

No, the market screen, the main one, the one the big button on the sidebar takes you to:

The balance column in the centre there is your deficit or surplus in unit numbers and then the price column will tell you how far over or under base price that puts you.

It's not going to tell you if the price levels are an actual problem, of course...

To add on to that, I've seen new players fall into a trap of misinterpreting this screen. Take Explosives for example in your screenshot, which is existing currently in equilibrium -- there are just as many buy orders for sell orders. This might make a player come to the inaccurate conclusion that if they want to use more explosives for anything (say opening a gold mine that uses nitroglycerin in the production methods), that they should build out another Explosives factory first. This is generally not the case, as the existing Explosives factory in this market-equilibrium state is probably not producing at capacity, meaning that if the demand for Explosives suddenly goes up (because you built that explodey gold mine), the existing factory will react accordingly and hire more workers to produce more Explosives to bring the cost of the good back to equilibrium. The game doesn't really surface this particular information very well though, and to uncover that you'd have to actually look at the factory screen itself.

And in the scenario where that factory was somehow already running at capacity, the only immediate effect will be that the good gets more expensive (making production later in the chain more expensive as well). This doesn't lead to outright shortages of the material unless the demand really explodes (heh), but the market will seek equilibrium in any way it can, e.g. by having a foreign market take advantage of the imbalance in your market by exporting their cheaper Explosives to you.

Not saying that gradenko is doing any of this, but in a discussion about the market screen and assessing your country's production, it's probably worth mentioning.

Drone fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Mar 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I fell for the memes and reinstalled Imperator. First time playing since just after launch, this time with the Invicta mode that everyone seems to love and that I know nothing about.

Is there an easy guide to converting to Kemetic as Egypt now (with the DLC, beta patch, and Invicta or Invictus whatever it's called)? I remember at launch it was pretty much just an event choice that you had, looks like it's a decision now with the biggest hurdle being to get 50% of free pops in Alexandria to be Kemetic, but I have no clue how to go about doing that.