Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Two things I'd really like to see fixed in a future title: armies marching across whole continents with unlimited reinforcements and every conflict ending up as a hellwar to the bitter end. I'm not really sure how you fix that problem though. Maybe with a more complicated supply model and the AI somehow understanding attrition?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

toxx for next paradox game to be about proto-indo-european expansion 5000 years ago

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Man, the 90s were weird. Paradox, which looks like it grew out of a Swedish tabletop RPG company, released a Swedish-only title in 1997 called Svea Rike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRxDDAjKMfs

I mean, I can see how this evolved into an implementation of the old EU board game, but it's rather primitive compared to modern mapgames. It seems like you're a lord who controls Swedish provinces (and you can buy more) but the only other countries you interact with are Denmark, HRE, Poland, and Russia. They occasionally declare war on you and if you win the corny tactical battle you can take one of their provinces. This all earns you honor points that determine your score in 1818.

Pretty limited scope, but there were these sweet minigames. Remaster when??

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Sep 19, 2020

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

For the best short intro to Marxism I've come across, try "The Three Pillars of Marxism" from the Mike Duncan's Revolutions podcast. Skip 3 minutes in to start. That won't familiarize you with all the technical vocabulary but gets the basics better than most people do.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

https://twitter.com/PdxInteractive/status/1331714972573896704

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Meanwhile me as a player - I need to set a reminder to not forget to re-activate something in 20 years' game time, which could be a session or two later.

Is there a way to do this in EU4 that I've been overlooking? It would be really cool if I could set an alert for when a certain unit reaches its destination, like when I'm sending a fleet on a four-month voyage.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Sure would be a shame if EU4, perhaps the best grand strategy game of all time and a game long overdue for a sequel, got a sequel. There's plenty of interesting things to do with the formula and I'm interested to see where they go with it. We know there's a mapgame with a non-historical setting in development too, so I guess that's possible too.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

There's also this one. It hasn't gotten the physical release yet but it's playable on Tabletop Simulator.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

The original plan for The New Order was to make it as a Vicky 2 mod and it sounds like that went as well as you might expect.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

VostokProgram posted:

Isn't the revolutionary era already covered by late game EU4?

If you say so

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

Also you stupid fucks keep voting with your wallets that current paradox policy is good.

Actually I bought these 20,000 copies of Leviathan as a long-term investment

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

My main problem with both Vicky games is that most of the important mechanisms are obscure and hard to interact with. POPs, the economy, and politics are all super detailed but nothing really interesting emerges from them. Of course, a new direction for the series would be great.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

extremely dystopian that actions in a game might cost a different set of points than money, which totally isn't also an arbitrary point accumulation system in most strategy games.

At the extreme every grand strategy game is just juggling resources appropriately, but without going that far it seems reasonable to say that currencies such as monarch points or Imperator's political influence can feel a little generic.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Sure would be a shame if I avoided ever building army units from Dixie pops and the American Civil War turned out to be a wet fart. Besides that, I recall unreliable army units just defect to rebels at random and then instantly lose against your army. Not all that interesting.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Looks like the announcement is this one, at 11am Pacific today:

Don’t miss the PDXCON Remixed Announcement Show! All of our news and exciting revelations in one exciting hour! Join CEO Ebba Ljungerud as she takes you through everything Paradox has to show – including a new game from Paradox Development Studio!

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

e-dt posted:

my one hope for vicky three is fixed pop wages that aren't a percentage of profits. also world trade that doesnt depend on ranking. and real embargoes. actually i have a lot of hopes but the wage one is the biggest one

I would like to see radical rethinking of quite a lot of Vicky, but the pops are #1. They're super complicated and fiddly but not really interesting.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

There are no "uncolonized" provinces, but you can colonize on top of a Decentralized Country without declaring war.

Diplomatic Plays: Basically an evolution of the crisis system from Vicky 2. This is now the default way you try to get things from other countries who do not want to give them to you! I described it as almost like "Diplomatic Combat."

Three different Tech Trees: Production, Military, and Society. More like a traditional, branching 4X tech tree, not like the tech columns in Vicky 2. No split between techs and inventions. Seems like no more RNG for inventions other than that Tech Spread has some RNG involved.

yayyy

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I haven't seen Suzerain come up in here, but it's on sale and a lot of you would enjoy it. The game 's setting strongly resembles a Paradox mod in the style of presentation and what's emphasized, though it's a text-based adventure game with a little bit of chrome from mapgames. There are no real win conditions and it takes around 4-5 hours to explore and play the main narrative, though I will go back to try other paths.

To me the narrative and character development really stood out as well thought-out. The writers created an alternate world 1953 where you rise to power in a bitterly divided country and try to get your agenda done, mainly through dialog trees. Paradox players will quickly notice that the variables and triggers are pretty simple (the economy is at 4/10 in the below screenshot, and that's about as complicated as it gets) and often you just have to guess if your decisions will turn out well. I think this works fine in this format, but know that this is as almost as far from a Vicky-style simulation you can get. The politics and philosophy will also not blow your mind but you do have considerable freedom to pursue a variety of historicalish paths in a pretty fleshed-out scenario.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

What's the war going on in India at the same time?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Here's a discussion of the presentation of history in HOI4 - in particular the mechanics for Stalin and the devs' interpretations of the "human wave" tactic, which seems to be pretty inaccurate. WWII is more recent and controversial than the material in other Paradox titles, but these are interesting examples at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqTAzp71Pb4

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Gort posted:

I don't think HOI4 attributes that tactic to the Soviets

It doesn't say the Soviets invented it, but they and China are the only ones to start with the doctrine.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Balance of Power (1985) isn't really granular like modern grand strategy titles, but it is along the same lines of statecraft and blowing everyone up

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Do you bomb the airfield they’re based in?

Yeah, you have to target that tile to hit the planes