Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

wukkar posted:

How many different renamings of Monarch Power will HOI4 have?

If it's not Mussolini Mana or Patton Power, I will lose my faith in humanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Ghetto Prince posted:

Yes - paradox should replace all soldier, ship and plane models with anime girls, and then replace all the anime girls with rugged 19th century Europeans because paradox games are historical and there are no women in history. (Also, when they do the models of 19th century Europeans they should remove anyone with a skin tone darker than khaki. )

:spergin:

They should go full Shakespeare and make all of the females be males in really lovely costume. It's period, guys :spergin:

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Darkrenown posted:

National focuses.

And yeah, alt history stuff is still something we are interested in, although I'm not sure about alt history scenarios. They are cool if done well, but on the other hand it can be a lot of content and it's an area where mod teams can do as well or better.

As long as national focuses are moddable (which I think is a safe assumption?) it should be super easy for mod teams to knock out alt-hist scenarios.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Wiz posted:

Most of the downvoting was because of the free patches introduced a number of major changes (coring costs, forts), because development is a paid feature, or because of technical issues caused by engine upgrade. The bad reviews have very little to do with the quality of the expansion.

Pharnakes posted:

EU IV: Common sense. Steam reviews are terrible, but the op says to get it but is only 1 line. Has it been patched into a good addition?

E: the parts that sound most concerning to me is the forts mechanic and that apparently you can't develop provinces without the dlc?

Oh my god, just get Common Sense. It's in Art of War territory, it's so good. People are butthurt because I'm not entirely sure. Province development is bad, I think. It killed my dad.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

420 Gank Mid posted:

Almost all the bad reviews are 'protest' reviews about how development is locked to people who own the expansion and buildings are limited by development. It has nothing at all to do with the quality of the expansion which blows everything other than maybe Art of War out of the water.

Common sense took away their ability to feel human, the greatest patch of all (since they were never human).

Anyways how is Paradox handing the departure of QA lead Anna Jenelius? Paradox games have steadily improved in stability and I'm going out on a limb and assuming that changes to the QA process have been involved?

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Elias_Maluco posted:

Not that it makes any difference to me (I already bought CS), but thinking about it, they do have a point: it makes CS kinda of a mandatory DLC, dont it?

I don't think so. You can easily play the whole game without developing any provinces. It takes some strategies away (like playing a free city and going development-heavy) but that's not unique: e.g. without art of war you can't make client states. That changes your ability to conquer your same continent past tech 23 but it doesn't break the game. You can easily play the whole game without making client states.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Elias_Maluco posted:

Yeah, but building slots depends on development, so without the ability to raise the latter, the former (buildings) becomes somewhat crippled. And I guess the complain is that the changes cripples a native feature and forces people to buy a DLC to be able to properly use it.

That's true, but! A building slot costs at least 500 monarch points to gain the 10 development you need. This is a very marginal case unless you're going for a very specific strategy. Since buildings only cost cash now, it's likely that you can build more buildings total now than you could before, even if you can't develop provinces. Developing one province enough to gain a single building costs as much as 50 buildings used to cost.

e: 50, not 5, derp

e2: well, if you only need to bump it one point, then it would be 5 buildings.

Dibujante fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 2, 2015

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Gamerofthegame posted:

Paradox please stop only showing half the political trees.

It's very rude. :(

The other half of the tree allows you to resurrect the Byzantine Empire :getin:

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Lord Tywin posted:

It seems like with the dotted lines you have to finish both the previous national focuses while with the solid line you just need to finish one.

My hunch is the other way - otherwise you'd need to both befriend and claim yugoslavia to start a war with albania.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Groogy posted:

We don't do betas as PR stunts and our betas are probably much closer to the actual development than what you are used to if you've been in a beta for any other company before. But if you want to get early access for Stellaris there's a really simple solution.

Get hired by Paradox.

Reminds me, I have to play it more.

I would learn Swedish really quickly. Do you guys like C#?

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Groogy posted:

No we don't

That's okay, I know Javascript too.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Groogy posted:

You mean the Cave Paintings you can see on museums? Ugh not that interesting, I mean I get the point that it proves some kind of cognitional ability of the painters but not that impressive.
If you want something actually interesting and that is the path of the future its either D(if the devs stopped being paranoid) or Ruby :getin:

No, it's Haskell. The real language for professional developers.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

DrSunshine posted:

Actually, it's Java, hth.

Java 8 is pretty nice. I would be willing to work in Java 8 if C# 4/5 were not available.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
I can cook every single part of the pig.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I can run this joke into the ground.

And thus did no Paradox employee ever post here again.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Groogy posted:

I have, it was a top down dungeon crawler/shooter with destructible environment, PLS shading and dynamic lighting/shadowing on my free time as a hobby project.

Sure you can't make Europe Universalis in it but if you are able to see past the "this is what everyone says" on the Internet it's not that much of an issue as long you are not an idiot. Every language have their quirks, the C style ones have the most, you just need to learn how to work with them. For instance an optimization I do in Ruby is to instead process data I use metaprogramming to give me O(1) to data I want.

But no you're not gonna get s job at Paradox for knowing Ruby, C#, Java, how to do poo poo post on internet, it's C++ or nothing.

But shitposts are Turing-complete!

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Affi posted:

drat my one chance to be an annoying fan slipped right through my fingers..

No, Groogy's right here! You can live your dream!

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

I'm a C++ developer but lol at being enough of a masochist to work in video games instead of that sweet sweet adtech money

Yep. Although in my case, sweet sweet finance money.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
Mordor, Alcatraz, Azkaban, Hotel California

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
This happens to me every time I think "I bet that legacy operations portal we've got doesn't really need 2800 lines of code in its main controller."

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Groogy posted:

They seem to be more mad about we are saying that democracies are not rear end holes when we are in fact just saying that Democracies didn't declare war on other Democracies. They were totally rear end holes though.

Can I use Canada's technical status as a monarchy to invade them as the USA?

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Groogy posted:

UK declares war on Finland as they were allied with the Soviet Union, and as far as I know that is the only time in modern history that a democracy has declared war on another democracy. And no, One Party Democracies does not count.
Needless to say it does not set a norm.

The Mexican-American war was a big deal. Maybe you're thinking specifically of European democracies not declaring war on European democracies but that's probably due to the historical scarcity of European democracy :smug:

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
HoI IV should prioritize interestingness over strict historicity. In retrospect, Germany and Japan had clearly lost their respective wars by the end of 1942. That fact would make a pretty boring game if it were adhered to. So would Mexico/Ireland not being able to join the Axis or Italy not being able to join the Allies or all kinds of other permutations.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Rincewind posted:

Even when I'm not actually doing an LP of a Paradox game, the narrative the game creates is still at the front of my mind. And "how Hitler turned things around and won WWII" is not a narrative I really feel like seeing play out.

If it helps any, "How Germany/USSR/UK/France/Japan turned things around" is a tragedy for humanity and it's going to be one of those in almost all cases.

e: you can include the US there probably but this is one of those few periods when the US is on the left-hand side of the bell curve of all belligerents' historical shitheadedness. Admittedly, the US is always on the left side of the bell curve of any war involving the UK. Everyone is.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Fintilgin posted:

It does seem weird and gamey that you can convert your own state culture to another one. I'm assuming it works with a very large dose of hand-waving abstraction, and shouldn't be interpreted as a state action. Some sort of natural migration/demographic change which you pay for with monarch points as the 4th wall breaking player instead of the nation.

EDIT: My immersion. :negative:

Clearly, immersion demands that this only apply to Jews.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
Please add "Danish" as a species type; thanks.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

The Sharmat posted:

All the factions in Alpha Centauri were ruled by horrible ideologues that went way too far and that was the point.

It made it a lot easier to distinguish them, since they didn't have, say, historical context that you could use to do so. SMAC had to be over-the-top to combat the featurelessness that happens to fantasy settings.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Oberleutnant posted:

Seriously PDX I know you don't want to set off the Paradox Plaza tinfoil hat brigade like you did with Magna Mundi/EU4, but you gotta sack up and make a 20th century game to bridge Vicky to Stellaris.

Make a 20th-21st century game to bridge Vicky to human extinction.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Koramei posted:

It'd help a lot of Firaxis actually had a post-release attitude towards expansions and patches that wasn't straight out of 2005. I don't think it's like they need to be watching streams all day long, but especially with Beyond Earth they just seemed so completely out of touch. Tbf personally I don't think AI cheating is a bad thing at all as long as it isn't super obvious, but actually balancing your game around strategies that happen after launch shouldn't be some unattainable thing.

Firaxis' attitude towards a game's post-release life simply hasn't changed since civ 4, whereas the rest of the industry (especially EU4) has moved on a lot.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

VostokProgram posted:

Make the game phone home with every move every player makes, do some machine learning on the collected information, release AI patches monthly.
Unless the problem can essentially be represented as a matrix, it's not presently machine-learnable. This is why images are so popular - they're already matrices, or if you want to get fancy, you can perform feature detection on them and get a feature detection matrix. Something as squishy as the course of an EU4 game would take herculean efforts just to develop a representational model.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

uninverted posted:

A lot of people say "do machine learning" when what they mean is "do some kind of fancy AI stuff". I blame press releases about self-driving cars and the like.

You would be appalled by the hacks that go into most actual machine learning applications.

For example, a car staying in a lane. Early lane-staying system basically took a picture of the road and then tried to machine-learn whether or not the picture seemed to have two lines to either side. Pictures that deviated from that prompted a drift right / left response to try to make the picture correct to something that fit the heuristic better. The car didn't "understand" that it was "between" two "lanes" - it could have been easily fooled by washed out lanes, lane printing errors, someone laying down dummy lanes, particular patterns of road damage, etc, because it was really just a really convoluted image correction algorithm stuck behind a steering wheel that could slowly "learn" that, given an image of the road, it could generally make the image get closer to its desired state by toggling one of its two outputs.

This is basically the Chinese Room dilemma. No AI actually knows that it is "playing" a "game". It is optimizing a mathematical function whose outputs hopefully line up with effective gameplay. It's stupid hard for anything beyond the most trivial AI applications (like pathfinding).

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Asproigerosis posted:

Did I miss something regarding vassals? Mine are getting claims on everything neighboring so I get to just bloat them by a one province depth every truce and then just diploannex a huge chunk. This seems broken.

If you have Art of War you can transfer occupation of any province adjacent to any occupied province to the occupier, so you can transfer arbitrarily vast amounts of land to your vassals. That said, they have trouble digesting 6+ overextension, and it gets really hairy at 12, although it just gets funny after 20.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
I don't think you can do Vicky without industrialization. Vicky is the UK's century and it is such pretty much entirely due to industrialization.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
The national focus thing is honestly my most anticipated part of HOI4. HOI was always short on the narrative department after it left the tightly scripted event chains of HOI2/DH/other spinoffs. I think that making HOI into a political sandbox via national focus trees is a really good step towards reintroducing a narrative but not tying it strictly to the same WW2 every time around.

How are you balancing them, though? What are the odds that everyone joins Axis and Hitler leads a coalition of pan-european snuggleship?

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
Similarly, it's quite unrealistic for a country to purge many of its best scientists during an economic downturn.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Autonomous Monster posted:

You have to go through each courtier and check if they're in the prison? You can't get a list of prisoners directly?

Well... you get a list of prisoners by going through each courtier and checking if they're in prison.

The alternative is to maintain a running list of everyone who is in prison and hope that the list never gets out of sync.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Autonomous Monster posted:

If you have to hope you're coding it wrong. One function to put people into prison and handle all dependent logic; one to do the reverse. Call those wherever you need to do those things; do not manipulate prison status in any other way.

I've been doing a lot of refactoring at work recently and I think it's turning me into Code Reuse Hitler.

With multithreading filling and emptying dungeons across Eurasia this gets trickier.

e: essentially if you can make your prisoner check logic idempotent it becomes trivially parallelizable.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
Paradox needs to release a free DLC that replaces the Byzantium tag with Rome...

...with non-optional Ottomans to Rome tag switch when Ottomans conquer ByzantiumRome.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Chief Savage Man posted:

Or maybe it's a joke post.

I don't know if you want to let all of those guys out of the pen. Let's keep the Fourth Reich on the computer screen and out of our schools and movie theaters.

Look at the shmuck who doesn't realize he's experiencing a simulated reality in a Nazi human bio-energy tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Demiurge4 posted:

Mecron will take that IP to his grave purely out of spiteas the only selfless thing he's ever done.

Sorry, but much as I loved SotS, the sequel was appalling.