Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Demiurge4 posted:

Yeah the game sucked but the underlying universe and lore is still incredible and stands against all reason. Space Dolphins are unironically cool.

Its loss impoverishes us all. When will we see justice, Mecron?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Demiurge4 posted:

It'll also be something else for them to do besides a Fallout 4 expansion.

Fallout 4: Newer Vegas would be my 2016 GOTY.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
Paradox is still small, scrappy, and agile. If you compare their headcounts to AAA studios it's clear that they can't call on those kinds of resources.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
This is a lot easier to do in a tile-based game, but I suppose in EU4 you could have conquistadors / explorers randomly sometimes move to a province that is adjacent to the one you targeted without telling you during the movement that this is what is going to happen.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Koramei posted:

What actually happens after the war is over in Hearts of Iron? The peace mechanics look really nice (and I guess they'll feature in smaller wars before the huge one too), but for the giant peace what incentive is there to actually getting really good terms for yourself? Doesn't the game just end like immediately afterwards?

Also how are the casualties having an impact on your contribution going to relate to China? 'Cause they had casualties in the millions but pretty much no say in the peace whatsoever.

Maybe casualties could multiply the value of other contributions? Since China took no territory its casualties might give it no leverage.

Or perhaps different contributions affect the cost of different demands, and China's high casualty count and zero territorial claim could enable it to demand the return of all of its cores but not a claim on anything else.

e: or just throw in a Jiang Kaishek modifier that makes your country inept.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Kulkasha posted:

It'd require either a tile-based system of which provinces are made or god forbid some sort of vector system. Both of which are well outside of the abilities of clauswitz, I assume, which means Victoria 4 or later.

An intermediate step would be to allow provinces to decompose along pre-determined lines based on development / something(!?)

e.g. a huge province with really low development could split into four roughly even provinces (maybe randomize it up a bit?) after it hits 12-18 development. Of course, provinces can't decompose forever, so eventually you can just keep piling on the development. But really big provinces that are supposed to represent vast areas of sparsely populated land could break down into smaller and smaller provinces if they get developed sufficiently.

e: possibly some peace deals could also split a province into parts and give some parts to one side and some to another?

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
A game is any event that provides the player agency to affect the experience, even if it is in a trivial way. This is not something you can say about any other medium. No participant in a traditional film or novel experience can alter it in any way. Sometimes, there's experimental film / literature / theatre that allows the audience to influence the direction of the experience. I would classify this as a game.

p.s. with this expanded definition in mind, and the established fact that games are murder simulators, interactive theatre is a murder simulator. Hopefully this clears things up.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
There should be a specific combination of national decisions, taken across all major participants, that leads to the world of 1984.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Gort posted:

I kind of like Seven Wonders for my 4x boardgame fix, though obviously it's not like you're painting a map your colour or anything.

That's because 7 wonders streamlines each of the X's down to be just complex enough to be reasonably calculated in a board game. It's pretty well done.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
I have degrees in both history (European focus, too!) and computer science but I think that like 90% of making a good event has to do with grasping the proper game design moreso than the strict historical basis.

Almost every time that I think about a mechanic and think "To be truly historical, this mechanic should be <x>" I can usually follow that up with " and that would be pretty unplayable." I think the right balance is being struck. I'm not sure how strictly correct the history needs to be. Wikipedia produces reasonable broad strokes.

I do still disagree on a few things, like the lack of an Isaac Newton DLC. Come on. 'And God said, "Let there be Newton", and there was light.'
For a game that so triumphally endorses the notions that
  • There was an enlightenment.
  • This enlightenment was widespread throughout what we consider to be "Western" Europe.
  • This enlightenment created a culture of science (even though the term did not exist at the time) and innovation that drove Europe ahead.
  • Nothing like this occurred outside of Europe.

its handling of the intellectual life of the presumed Enlightenment is still pretty limited. There's a fantastic narrative about natural philosophers and scholar-kings in the late parts of EU4's timeframe.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Koramei posted:

Yeah I don't think the historians should be writing the game or that the devs should have to listen to them 100% of the time, just that there should be some people who genuinely know their poo poo regarding the periods represented, that are consulted about some of the choices. Like it or not (nobody seems to like it, I've noticed) games like these are one of the main ways historical knowledge seems to get pushed out to the general public, at least in younger generations. When they're pushing an outdated/ regressive model of history then there's clearly a bit of an issue there.

Then of course some cases like HOI detaching its self from the holocaust and having gameplay focused ideologies are totally understandable decisions even if they don't make a lick of sense from a historical point of view.

They can peruse this thread, among other locations, for historical tidbits, though :)

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

zedprime posted:

A historian would be more of a cool thing to interview over dinner a couple times while preparing a design document than any sort of required ongoing support member of staff.

However they desperately need a historical geographer. Again, it wouldn't be useful for any sort of ongoing support, but I think it would be a good penance option for the tragedies of past maps.

I hope they have a few historian buddies they can ping ideas off of. I also am not sure that having a professional historian would make sense, despite the fact that I would find that job fun as hell.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Drone posted:

Or Paradox finally realizes how wildly popular Kaiserreich is and just hires Kavak & co. to work on HoI4's first alt-hist DLC, which is probably the far better option

Imagine what they could do if they had a budget. Paradox is probably burned out on E v. W, though.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
I wonder what happens when supply is inadequate in general but not cut off entirely? Do units all just operate at evenly reduced efficiency?

Overall supply provision was an important factor in the war. US and British soldiers were often provided in excess of 5,000 calories a day, with German soldiers netting 3000-4000, Japanese soldiers 1800 (lol wat), although after 1942 most Japanese land campaigns occurred in a context of complete supply blockade, so calories per day were 0. Soviet soldiers also often operated under similarly extreme calorie restrictions.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Westminster System posted:

One of the more harrowing things the author touched upon was that the measures of certain countries like Germany to have stocks prepared actually made things worse - rather than a quick die off with lots of excess long-term viable food that supports a vastly reduced collection of societies transitioning to sustainability - that you see with the PoV characters in the UK in this case, for better or worse - large amounts of people survive for longer in Germany and the like and consume more of that stock before ensuring any sustainability, then they all die off and essentially ruin their own chances.
Once you add cannibalism to the equation you reach equilibrium again in these cases.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Demiurge4 posted:

What's got the Pdox forums up in arms about the supply system?

Paradox is abstracting some of the distinct types of resources into a more general resource called "supplies" so you the game doesn't model e.g. infantry trying to fire diesel cans instead of bullets. All versimilitude is lost. A mad dog is attacking the polis; it shall face my knife.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Oberleutnant posted:

*presses button to enable planetary governor, never looks at planets again until it's time to build a secret project*
If my games of Alpha Centauri are anything to go by.

There's a definite trick to having the amount of attention you need to pay to each planet scale with how many planets you have. Early in the game, I care to micro-manage each planet / city / whatever, but late in the game I want automation. There are only so many times I want to check on a city to make sure it hasn't exceeded the pop cap, or check in and tell it to build another happiness building to raise that cap.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Agean90 posted:

The dev diaries imply that you move up from managing planets to managing sectors of space as you grow.

How this will be done i have no idea

This kind of scaling is basically a 4X holy grail for me. If this ends up making it into the final product, they'll get my preorder just to give money to companies trying to innovate on 4X in this way.

e: actually, this is Paradox. They'll get my money anyways. But I'm still really enthusiastic!

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
Don't all units take attrition during the normal course of operations anyways? It seems like the net effect of this change is that when your supplies are reduced, you can't fly as many missions / launch as many attacks / etc. as you could otherwise and still maintain strength. That seems like a good enough model that the advantage of modelling supply this way sells me on it.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Wiz posted:

Have you guys considered that switching from 'this will be the best ever' to 'this will be the worst ever' because of one DD about tile grid planets is just a little bit on the histrionic side?

Still in the "this will be the best ever" camp.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
SotS I's ship building is pretty much space 4x shipbuilding excellence and should be shamelessly ripped off by everyone.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
Stellaris will be an RTS too. Paradox just makes RTSes that are at such a scope that they kind of straddle the line between TBS and RTS in terms of gameplay. Most of the representations are TBS representations, but they play out in real-time.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Orange Devil posted:

The bereavement I experienced due to the announcement of tiles in Paradox' space game was the first time I felt human.

Which is bad, because you're a space-faring cybernetic-fungal collective.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
I really want to see something like CK2's subinfeudation system apply here. That would allow the player perfect granularity - they could hold onto individual planets, sectors, or even whole systems depending on how much they wanted to manage them. E.g. you might want to manage Earth directly but after that only want to manage the governor of the Solar System, who in turn manages all of the other planets.

Basically feudalism seems like the bright future of humanity.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

I'd love this if it was optional, like one of many forms of government, depending on your culture and technology and choices. You could start off as near-future humans and end up a horrible bloated barely unified "empire of man" situation as you sprawled across the galaxy wiping out everything in your path but your backwards social, communications, and government tech forces you to be massively decentralized. Or you could have a smaller more focused empire that is run with perfect direct control and absolute efficiency.

I'd also love to see expanding faster than your society and government can keep up make your empire ripe for instability. I want the possibility of CK2 in space, with treacherous governors taking a whole sector off to become separatists. But I also want all sorts of efficient utopias to be possible too.

It's optional in CK2 as well. You hit diminishing returns. Ruling over 5 provinces directly is far more powerful than ruling over 1 province and 4 counts, for example. The diminishing returns definitely do hit after you've got a few vassals, so very small, very focused empires would be at a disadvantage, but not an insurmountable one, I think.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Mister Adequate posted:

Hahaha that's amazing. Just something that assesses it's own strength at like, 500% or something?

Just break the Japanese AI such that every time it loses a unit, it adds to their internal army strength estimate instead of subtracting from it. Voila, a perfect simulation of Japanese strategic thinking in WW2.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Kavak posted:

Without bringing in some CK II mechanics, there's no way to represent the out-of-control nature of the Imperial Army. I'm kind of amazed they managed to confine themselves to assassinations and coup plots and nobody launched an armed insurrection.

Just make it so that the Japan AI cannot launch amphibious invasions unless the target province is out of supply.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Wiz posted:

Stellaris is pretty great, I stayed until late at work today to play my Goa'Uld Empire campaign.

Twitch stream or it didn't happen :mad:

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Wiz posted:

All the backwards races I enslaved *wish* it didn't happen.

Danes are in Stellaris? Or was it just a RNG coincidence?

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Fintilgin posted:

Another "bug" that doesn't need fixing. :getin:

This is basically an AI War scenario for Stellaris so I completely endorse it.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

So do many wars.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Enjoy posted:

I'm pretty thick (or as I liked to say, I have maluses to intelligence), but at the same time, the Paradox forums are bad

Malii :downs:

Confederate apologists are often beyond even satire, though.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Kavak posted:

Germany lost two world wars, millions of people, billions of dollars in development and income, half its territory, and spent half the century in two pieces, and is still the most powerful economy in Europe. I can't imagine what kind of beast it would be if they'd avoided even one of those disasters, like dropping von Bismarck, going down the Weltpolitik route, and pissing off both Britain and Russia.

Each of those defeats also restructured the German state, though, possibly in ways that benefitted it in the long run. Pre-Weimar Germany still had substantial involvement of the aristocracy in its government and economy, which could have retarded growth.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Strudel Man posted:

Wait, wait, wait, you can't actually have a race in Stellaris that can take other species as hosts, can you?

Libertarian... anythings.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
You're just bitter because you're certain that 2200 will roll around and we'll all still be stuck on earth just be dust in the wind.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Jabor posted:

To be fair though, every other paradox game also ignores how long it would realistically take to send information from end of your realm to the other.

If you say "bonii" at one end of the realm, a goon at the other end of the realm winces simultaneously. It's FTL communication!

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
What if your planet is tidally locked and there is no day/night cycle?

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Alchenar posted:

I just use the nursery rhyme. Obviously as a functioning adult my life is not thrown into chaos every month by the Gregorian calendar, but it is an annoying anachronism that a Space Calendar doesn't need to have.

I could not remember that for years until I learned that August and July have the same number of days because Augustus wanted the same number of days in his month as were in Julius' month. My brain is not normal :saddowns:

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Wiz posted:

Day 1 DLC

Surely someone at PDS has an internal games-only mod that inserts team members into the game as unit leaders. How many stars is DDRJake and what rank does he have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Groogy posted:

Guess he did the AI-Hitler Mistake that happened when I helped out on HOI AI.
We would let the game run over night then check on it. Well Hitler decided it was a really cool idea to replace Infantry in his Infantry divisions with Super Heavy Tanks and Tank Destroyers....

In all fairness, "throw in an impractical superweapon" should be the tie-breaker for every decision that Hitler AI makes.