Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I want a Stellaris anomaly inspired by the Blight in Vernor Vinge's 'Fire upon the Deep'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Kavak posted:

Someone make an account and post this:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM EUIV INTO STEAM

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Giggle Goose posted:

What the gently caress is up with this map on the dev diary? West Virginia sure as poo poo isn't part of Virginia anymore. I realize that maybe not all states don't get to be represented, but come on, they separated during the civil war. The only state ever to secede from another state! Site of the last armed insurrection in US history! My immersion!

Come on guys WV never gets represented in anything, we (I) need this...

:negative:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

frankenfreak posted:

Now show us where Stalingrad is!

It's in the picture I quoted.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Obfuscation posted:

Guys check out these crazy nationalists whining about how their silly borders are not 100% accurate

Maine will seize the Canadian clay! Death to the canuks!

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Baronjutter posted:

Paradox dudes, please let me beta test just this one time, been applying to every beta since Victoria 2 :(

Also war plan black = align against fascists in support of the western allies, ie historical outcome.
War plan white would be to align against communists and eventually even ally with fascists to further than cause.
War plan red I assume when it mentions "the empire" it means the british empire, ally with soviets in a global "anti imperialism" crusade?
War plan orange just sounds like ramping up against japan, which also historically happened. If you can only pick one though what about war plan black??

I assume Black is the historical Europe first policy, Pacific gets less focus.

Orange would be the other way around.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

LostCosmonaut posted:

Sweden will probably have a decently fleshed out tech tree, considering that's where Paradox is based.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I got into the Rome beta, but my computer chugged so bad with the game in unoptimized debug mode(?), and every bug I wanted to report had already been reported by someone else that I felt like a bad beta, and I figured I'd been put on a bad beta blacklist. :smith:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
It really depends on how its executed in game. If it's like MOO2, where every turn is a dozen planets demanding you update their build queue, that would be bad. If it's like EUIV, where you've five hundred provinces with ~5 building slots apiece, but you're really just going in and enhancing certain places when you've got the extra resources, that's probably fine.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Darkrenown posted:

We had a MP match where the endgame crisis stuff started firing on day 1. That... went badly for us.

Another "bug" that doesn't need fixing. :getin:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Barnaby Barnacle posted:

Does the human race always starts on a plucky little planet named Earth in the Sol System a couple millenia after the life of a man named Jesus,

I actually wish they'd drop the 2200 start date for that reason and just have the game start on Year 1 of the game uh.... Stellaris Era.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

junidog posted:

Yeah, playing pre-warp doesn't sound great, but a pre-warp CYOA sounds amazing.

It would be a funny way to create your race. Like the old question/answer character creation in games like Ultima or the early Elder Scrolls.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Lord Tywin posted:

Some more HOI IV http://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive/v/29053519 , this time the dude Johan is playing against pumps out 20 completely untrained infantry divisions to trigger the anschluss in 1938 and Johan is just 200 days away from having fully motorized divisions.

I was listening to 3 Moves Ahead all day at work today while doing some super repetitive database work, so coming home and having Troy Goodfellow on the stream was a weird and momentarily disorienting moment.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

canepazzo posted:

From a Paradox producer's twitter:

:smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F65xNuqmLdU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

Leningrad is in the wrong place. Not as bad as Stalingrad in HoI3, but it is pretty clearly in the wrong place.

Stream:

Period map:

:raise:

They're doing this on purpose. They're trolling us. They've got to be.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

TheMcD posted:

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/677931688303976449

Oh my loving god it finally happened. FINALLY.

Y'know, historically Paradox has done one final big bug patch on a title before they finish with it forever...because they're starting on the sequel.

Just saying... I called it in the last thread with EU3 too... :shobon:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
ALL Paradox games to date have been dry runs building up to the glory of Rome II.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I wish I enjoyed V2, because then I could be excited too. :smith:

Please make V3 more fun, Paradox.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Gort posted:

According to Johan's Twitter, Hearts of Iron 4 will not be released in Q1 of 2016.

I'm pretty sure that the #1 'at all costs' project goal for HoI4 was to avoid a release like HoI3. HoI4 releasing... Q2 2017.

Pooned posted:

I'm a little sceptical that Paradox on their first try can make a 4x game that is more fun to play than Hearts of Iron 4.

Given my opinion of previous HoI games, I couldn't disagree more strongly.

But hey, maybe HoI4 will break that streak. :unsmith:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

Can't believe that in HoI4 you can just click a button and RADIO JUST HAPPEns. Why not put in the smallest bit of effort and have us have to set the precise frequencies, code schedules, and transmission timetables for all of our signal companies???

loving casuals

I want a fully working enigma machine in game and you have to encode your orders to your units or decode intercepts if you're the allies.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Alikchi posted:

He's like the evil version of Hitler!

Mirror universe Hitler has a wicked goatee.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Psychotic Weasel posted:

After FDR is finished spreading Justice and Liberty to all the peoples of earth we're going to spread it to the stars. Through the barrel of a gun.

If I weren't at work, I'd photoshop FDR into Pike's SPACE wheelchair.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Demiurge4 posted:

Edit: I will say that I don't like the ship designs at all. The aesthetic is very generic.

Yeah, they weren't super distinguishable in that screenshot. I think they need to push unique colors more. Not just 'metal', 'chrome metal', and 'very slightly tinted metal'.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Barnaby Barnacle posted:

Reynolds has been working on freemium mobile games. So he might as well be dead and in hell.

I just gave you a high five while jumping in the air.

Freeze frame.

Roll credits.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Lord Hydronium posted:

Do you have a link? I really need to see what kind of logic they used to come up with that.

If it's what I'm thinking of, it was more along the lines of:

quote:

"How can I roleplay my glorious Fourth Reich/Rome when there are non-whites on my planets? Can we please restrict human ethnicities when starting the game?!"

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Brad Wardell of Stardock claims:

quote:

Next year all the 4X’s are going to come out. What I write below is not under some NDA. I know it because it’s my job to know it.

Let me walk you through the schedule:

1H2016: Stellaris, Master of Orion

2H2016: Civilization VI, Endless Space 2

I could be wrong on the dates. You could swap some of this around a bit but you get the idea.

He might not have broken any NDAs, but given that's potentially the first anyone heard about Civ 6, he may have burned some bridges.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Groogy posted:

Anyone who wants Greco-Roman influences in Stellaris should just give up. I've worked hard to kill every notion of Rome being great in our company. The only true empire is the one of Cyrus and his successors.

The Romans are just glorified slave dealers.

Groogy delenda est.

(You must not get along with Wiz's team on Rome II!)

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Sky Shadowing posted:

Honestly to be fair to Ubik, wasn't it revealed that his family was basically complete and utter pieces of poo poo who forcibly committed him for whatever reasons?

E: Apparently, on the same page that was linked! :downs:

In fairness to his family, I believe the articles were summaries of interviews with Ubik, claiming his family and doctors were involved in a vast conspiracy to commit him against his will despite his being totally sane.

The guy was probably pretty disturbed, HOW disturbed we'll probably never know. :smith:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Ever since they took Wiz off the project, the new DLC has gotten weird.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
They're going to have to put in some sort of Federation internal politics. It's going to be awfully hard to convince players to give up control of their foreign policy 3/4 of the time.

It's like a semi permanent opt in regency council. Oh boy! :keke:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Dallan Invictus posted:

You kept your redtext all these years just to make that one joke, didn't you? :golfclap:

Why would anyone get rid of the best red text on the forums?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Psychotic Weasel posted:

According to the Paradox Twitter account there was an AMA held this afternoon on Reddit - nothing much of any substance but I guess it gives you a look inside some of the thought process that goes on over there?

You know, I was reading the AMA just now, and it occurred to me that now that they own White Wolf they could and perhaps SHOULD do a World of Darkness DLC for CKII.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Mans posted:

Let's take a step back and appreciate EU3 for a while.

Post unpatched, no expansion EU3 1.0 for full effect, please.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Ofaloaf posted:

Oldest one I got is a few patches in, since Austria was colorchanged to white, but it's the best I got:

It was also awesome in 1.0 because personal unions/inheritences were completely or nearly completely random, and way way more common, so like Trier would randomly inherit France or whatever.

EUIII came a long way, but I think EUIV has come just as far at this point. We're really on like EUVII or something. Paradox is cool. :c00l:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Off the top of my head I really can't think of any situations like this that had a demonstrably positive impact on things - yeah it's (probably) not EA buying them up but with a change in ownership and business model means that organizational changes aren't far behind.

Yep.

Depressing news to end a lovely day. :smith:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

GCValentine posted:

http://imgmr.com/pc-news/paradox-has-a-grand-strategy-for-gdc/

Some detail on GDC plans. Apparently we will be getting info on Stellaris, HOI IV, and an unrevealed title.

quote:

Chris King (Senior Game Designer):

Did King come back to Paradox? I thought he left to make an indie space game?

I'd prefer Rome II to Vicky III, but Vicky's probably more likely.

EDIT: Session scheduler describes King as 'Senior Game Designer, Paradox Interactive', so I guess he's returned to work on V3. V3 confirmed.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Leaves Paradox to finally be able to work on a space 4x.

Paradox promptly starts working on a space 4x.

Returns to Paradox a couple months before the space 4x releases.

:negative:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Panzeh posted:

I prefer imperialism because vicky's systems arent very fun to play. They are funny to read about.

The mechanical debt Vicky owes to Imperialism was the biggest thing I noticed when I first play V1. But Imperialism was comparatively streamlined and elegant, but Vicky 1 & 2 were like an 'ideas guy' had got a hold of it and cranked the complexity dial way past 11 to like 24.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Oberleutnant posted:

Yeah that's definitely gonna be a Bloodlines sequel, or something along those lines.
Given that Bloodlines is one of the best rpgs ever made that's pretty good!

Paradox facebook said it's NOT White Wolf related, so no Bloodlines 2. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

pdxjohan posted:

Shams is not exactly a gamedesigner.

Hey, we're not the ones who just made a legally binding tweet. V:shobon:V