Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Mantis42 posted:

I do, those games are mostly mediocre.

Not really true for anything before the 20th century. People said the same erroneously thing about Total War: Three Kingdoms but CA didn't have any issues. Historical dramas are a big genre over there.

China is currently doing a pretty huge slapdown on gaming in general and historical gaming in particular; historical dramas are, in the CCP's eye, *too* big a genre.

https://www.scmp.com/tech/big-tech/article/3156540/china-vs-video-games-why-beijing-stopped-short-gaming-ban-keeping

It's not clear what will and won't be allowed going forward, but two things are pretty clear:

1) Western companies will have a far harder if not impossible time marketing games in China than they already do (most already rely on a domestic partner such as Tencent)

2) Recommending any investment in a game for the Chinese market right now would be really dumb given current instability.

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

A Buttery Pastry posted:

They're focused a lot on the younger parts of the population, aren't they? Paradox just needs to make the game 18+.

Only because Chinese regulators think only minors play video games. Games are already effectively banned for minors; they can by law only be played 3 hours a week (not a typo, 1 hour a day on Fr/Sa/Su) and it's the responsibility of video game companies to enforce this.

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 2, 2021

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Lady Radia posted:

what the? when has Paradox ever put accurately depicting history over their bottom line? (not that that’s even necessarily a bad thing!!) they even went so far as to rage against anyone demanding the Taiping Rebellioj be represented in V2. where is this noble Paradox vs terrible Chinese censor narrative coming from??

uh, the Hearts of Iron series is banned in China for literally this (specifically having an independent Tibet since China noticed it in HOI2 and independent warlords since HOI3)

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Hellioning posted:

Discussing Chinese censorship laws on the internet is like the dumbest thing because they're vague on purpose.

before last year, 90% of them were just an excuse to pay off a bureaucrat/use a fixer to navigate the system. Now it's being taken far more seriously.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Jazerus posted:

the "three hours a week" law is in the final category but western media, out of ignorance deliberate or otherwise, has been portraying it as a restriction on all video games. which it simply isn't.

it actually applies to all online games - Chinese regulators differentiate between games mostly played offline/single player (danji) and online/massively multiplayer (wangluo). The split is mainly to keep esports producers happy (they qualify as danji for ~~reasons~~). The three hour a week ban is for wangluo games which by far are the most popular in the Chinese market.

Paradox games would qualify as danji but due to political considerations as well as being a Western developer are banned without recourse.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Also, for everyone feeling superior about the horrible state of Chinese gaming regulation (and it really is horrible, arbitrary, protectionist, *and* corrupt) the Apple IOS app store is even worse.

Apple takes an *extremely* paternalistic view of games and has blocked some history sims from the app store for "depicting violence against real-world individuals". A Civil War wargame got blocked for this reason, and an education game on the Syrian civil war had to remove everything about Syria to get past Apple's censorship -- which of course made its useability as an educational tool pretty useless!

https://venturebeat.com/2013/03/21/endgame-syria-back-on-ios-app-store-with-new-name-and-no-references-to-real-places/

This is a big reason there are almost no decent GSGs/wargames on iOS. Some get through; the enforcement of the rules really depends on who's reviewing applications that day.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Fuligin posted:

my impression was that there was still basically zero enforcement of these time limits. am i wrong on this?

Very much so, Tencent and other companies use facial recognition to enforce it.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/93ynj8/tencent-facial-recognition-honor-of-kings

quote:

Tencent has been using facial-recognition technology since 2018 to detect underage users. Gamers registered as adults will be asked to have their face scanned if they behave like minors.

For example, a facial scan is required when a user with a stated age of 60 or above spends more than 1,000 Chinese yuan ($154) on games—it’s likely to be a child using their grandparent’s ID, the thinking goes.

The facial data is then used to verify their identities using a police database.

By June, an average of 5.8 million player accounts were told to go through facial recognition every day, Tencent said.

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Dec 4, 2021

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
today in the paradox thread i learned numbers are real and also my friend

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

TheFlyingLlama posted:

I wonder if it's a difference between "this is explicitly not going to be allowed, don't even show it" and "this wasn't approved so it can't be on the official chinese steam but we'll let it be on the international one anyways"

Hearts of Iron is the only series China got publicly Big Mad about mainly due to showing an independent Tibet.

https://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2004-05/29/content_334845.htm

quote:

Moreover, "Manchuria", "West Xinjiang", and "Tibet" appeared as independent sovereign countries in the maps of the game. In addition, it even included China's Taiwan province as the territory of Japan at the beginning of the game.

"All these severely distort historical facts and violate China's gaming and Internet service regulations," the MOC said. "The game should be immediately prohibited."

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

OctaviusBeaver posted:

lmao at being so poor you don't know what $1 billion cash looks like

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
so apparently some crypto coin launched using the name Paradox which led to this classic exchange

https://twitter.com/PdxInteractive/status/1593584875428368390

https://twitter.com/Lakesguy89/status/1593680891422949383

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Yeah, Twitter is making GBS threads itself this morning.

Youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noM0fV4pyQY

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Also, this is a really awful presentation

The MC is horribly cringe inducing, and the presenters are only talking about the most surface level bits of what they're showing (did you know EU4 has mission trees that branch now?)

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
The pain I felt from this presentation has destroyed me on an emotional level, and has deprived me of my primary source of entertainment. No longer can I play Grand Strategy games without remembering the day I ceased mattering to people I devoted myself to. Paradox had not just destroyed me or their company, they had destroyed the one force of stability in the world: Trust.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

VostokProgram posted:

anyone got that picture of the hosed up Hapsburg that's captioned "I'm 0/0/0"

First post of this thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

finally, a benevolent oligarch

don't be too quick, this is how we got curt schiling (who brought advanced squad leader back before being a nazi full time)