Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

raditts posted:

Where did he get a train from and how did he make it run?

... I should really stop expecting realism out of this show.

It's actually not hard to get a train moving if you don't care about it stopping, or derailing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I really hope they end the Carol is a fake widow story with Phil's brother landing on the crazy bad Phil Miller in his escape pod.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Of course Tandy ruined his second chance. I'm actually interested in a stuck in the stocks episode.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Shock collar.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Oh god Carol, mash the crickets first.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah I was thinking the same thing whole episode. Forget the bacon (which would have an expiry date even while frozen yeah? Or is that another one we can safely ignore?), I'd be stockpiling the cans that people didn't want to eat due to sell by dates.

Depends on how frozen it is. Processed meats like bacon can stay edible for long periods frozen, of course there's a difference between edible and tasty.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Honestly any antibiotics they might have are probably long expired if their gas has gone bad. Of course, seeing as those whale carcasses from earlier in the season weren't just piles of mushy goop and bones there's a good chance that the virus killed everything that wasn't plant life or immune. Although it's hard to imagine a virus that is both a bacteriophage and capable of killing mammals.

Eh, I'm overthinking it.

I do agree that Phil (not Tandy) Miller is almost certainly dead though.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Well, there's the bodies.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Solice Kirsk posted:

Now he can impregnate Carol!

Actually he's probably sterile from all the space radiation :(

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Hughlander posted:

My WAG is that the drone poisoned Mike and the cow trying to try out a medical solution to the virus that would let the people operating the drone to operate freely. Of course I could be confusing this with the plot to Jeremiah...

I doubt anyone poisoned Mike, but they might have done something to the cow in an attempt to discover the secret of viral immunity, yeah.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

At the start of last season they implied it was kind of a slow, meandering apocalypse, so there was time to take most of the bodies away.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

pseudorandom name posted:

It's also important to remember that all of these people watched everyone they ever knew or loved die horribly and they are all broken people as a result.

And for some of them it keeps happening (the loved part, anyway) :v:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Guy Mann posted:

That's why I was disappointed with the premiere, usually each season has opened with an episode of Phil alone and they didn't even give us that. Them fleeing in panic with a crazed gunman on their heels would have even been a perfect excuse to split up and get some quality alone time hijinks but I guess that was too expensive.

Yeah, at this point they have to pay the core cast every episode, so having them not be in an episode is essentially a budget loss. It's also why in the second season they went back to everybody so quickly.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

blunt posted:

Same way they kept the bacon frozen.

To be more specific their old house had solar panels set up last season, as well as the ones that were at Bacon House.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

More like HBO knows you'll watch their shows no matter what else is on if you're hooked. Although in reality, since they don't rely on advertising revenue they can just do whatever they want as long as they keep enough subscribers.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Gynovore posted:

For the zillionth time, I'm probably reading too much into a comedy show... but realistically there's no chance that the group can rebuild humanity. Even if all the women started shooting out babies like human Pez dispensers, lack of genetic diversity would begin causing fatal mutations in two or three generations.

I bet the show ends this season, it's been running out of steam the past 2.5 years.

I doubt that, none of them are related to each other. With careful matchmaking they could manage at least 3 generations without encountering any inbreeding as long as the sex ratio skews female. Past that they'd be rolling the dice and humanity as a whole is doomed without more genetic variation in the long run, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Phenotype posted:

Is that true, by the way? A few years after a supervirus or zombie apocalypse or whatever, all the old power plants will turn America into a radioactive wasteland?

Why do I see that touched on so rarely in apocalyptic fiction?

It could be true, it really depends on which parts of the reactors break down first and if they're not shut down properly when the end comes. If they have time to remove the fuel rods and store them properly, no, there would be no meltdowns, no fires, etc. It really sounds like the virus moved too fast for people to take those kinds of measures though.

Edit: If the emergency shutdown switches work correctly the reactors would go cold almost immediately, and that's something one person in the control room can hit, from what I understand.

• Locked thread