Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Action George
Apr 13, 2013

rabidsquid posted:

You literally cannot lane swap a Morde and unlock your support. I just don't think he's strong enough to make up for that.

In the other hand you literally cannot lane swap against a Morde, which is going to completely change how some teams play the early game and potentially lock out some picks (I.e. can't pick Trist and trade tower for dragon early against Morde because that one dragon will lead to towers).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I don't know about you guys, but I realized from a long absence of watching competitive League that it's pretty much the only thing that keeps me playing regular League.

Riot is definitely right to keep shoveling cash into this windmill full of Korean teenage corpses.

I wonder what Wes Borland side project will provide the opening ceremonies this year.

There will probably be a surprise or two in groups, but I think the major thing that will decide the tournament is how the bracket is drawn after the group seeds are done and whether one side of the bracket is much more stacked than the other.

quote:

Knockout Stage
* Top two teams from each group advance to the Quarterfinals.
* Random draw after group stage with the following restrictions:
- 1st place teams will face a 2nd place team
- No two teams from the same group can be placed in the same half of the bracket
* All Matches are Best of Five.

Ideally I would like to see as few intra-regional games as possible in the playoff stage, so hopefully the best teams get drawn into different sides of the bracket.

E: intra-regional, not inter-regional (what I want)

Libertine fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Sep 29, 2015

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Crazy Larry posted:

In the other hand you literally cannot lane swap against a Morde, which is going to completely change how some teams play the early game and potentially lock out some picks (I.e. can't pick Trist and trade tower for dragon early against Morde because that one dragon will lead to towers).

I am fairly certain that you can swap on to a Morde and maintain a freeze against him, so long as your jungler and support are on the weak side of the map early on.

Also this should be in the OP http://i.imgur.com/4GaW552.gif

Libertine posted:

Ideally I would like to see as few inter-regional games as possible in the playoff stage, so hopefully the best teams get drawn into different sides of the bracket.

It's great that EDG and SKT are in the same group for this reason, and sort of a bummer for Fnatic pulling iG instead of basically any other Chinese or Korean team.

Also yeah I haven't played much lately but that's partially because I neither want to learn or play Mordekaiser.

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Sep 29, 2015

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007
Imp is the greatest player in the World not because he is necessarily better than Faker in a vacuum but because in a match up of psychological wits the Unkillable Demon King relies on mystic inscrutability alone whereas Imp will troll the poo poo out of you

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

EDG Sanshao saying on stream that Koro1 will be a full-time streamer in Paris IE looks like they've more or less decided to change AmazingJ to their starter.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
oh man remember this :(

https://twitter.com/lolesports/status/648847105973293056

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

IXIX posted:

EDG Sanshao saying on stream that Koro1 will be a full-time streamer in Paris IE looks like they've more or less decided to change AmazingJ to their starter.

The team fights better with Koro, and EDG has a big advantage over basically every team with their incredible team fighting. AmazingJ plays carries better and I guess Koro is having a hard time with the juggernauts but this seems like at best a move of parity when it's potentially reducing one of their big advantages.

Of course maybe AmazingJ is doing a much better job playing with the team. Still, Koro is like Yellowstar in that he is basically always in the perfect place. Not sure this is a good move.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I don't have any opinion on who is better at what between Koro and AmazingJ (I like them both TBH), but if you are bringing them both, and both of them have played regularly in LPL, I imagine that both of them will play at least 1 game at worlds.

If you are going to AmazingJ 100% of the matches, no Koro whatsoever... Even if that's true I don't know why you would announce it. It allows teams to game-plan more heavily against your team having the one player.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Sanshao is a weird dude, but he's probably going to make up a story about Deft being airlifted directly to the stage before a game at Worlds and playing after having all of the bones removed in his body because of Rare Bone Worm Sickness so it's actually quite good.

Also the LPL teams are just really loving funny https://twitter.com/Jackwanglol/status/648847138823217152

edit: Oh this is obviously why Koro got benched https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CQEiWT1WcAAu9yK.jpg

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008

This is the worst logo ever.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Macksy posted:

2 Gumbys swing dancing.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Macksy posted:

https://twitter.com/ggDoA/status/642476831803772928

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
For how garbage the ADC role is in the current meta, there's some really good ADCs to watch at this years Worlds. Imp is obvious but Deft and Bang are both incredibly good too. I haven't seen Imp carry a game as hard as that one Bang game on Lucian for instance. There's some good western ADCs too in Rekkles, Niels and Sneaky, and to a degree Doublelift now that the scarecrow seems to have found his brain.

I would've liked to see Uzi again this year though. His teams play worse as a result of trying to accomodate him, but his mechanical level is still probably the highest of any ADC in the history of the game.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

The real shame is not in missing Uzi, but missing TnT :swoon:

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

god dammit doa im never gonna be able to not see that

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Agree about TnT, wish we could have had Ohq at worlds (my favorite ADC of the season) but he wasn't consistent enough and his team isn't really good enough to come out of Korea.

I think Hjarnan has actually been the highest performing Western ADC for most of the season. He has so many games (especially on Tristana) where he just destroys everyone and never dies.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
updated the memes section with the ever classic "quote me on this" plus a couple others that just got posted

im also doing an ms paint of clg that i might be sending to riot for 45 rp maybe but im gonna post it here and in the main thread because im having a fuckin laugh making this thing

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Libertine posted:

Agree about TnT, wish we could have had Ohq at worlds (my favorite ADC of the season) but he wasn't consistent enough and his team isn't really good enough to come out of Korea.

I think Hjarnan has actually been the highest performing Western ADC for most of the season. He has so many games (especially on Tristana) where he just destroys everyone and never dies.

KT and KOO are both better than NaJin but I would rather see Duke and OhQ play than Ssumday, Score, and Piccaboo if I am being honest. OhQ was absolutely my favorite OGN ADC this split, I really hope that NaJin can replace Ggoong with a mid laner who is better than passable whenever his small champion pool is randomly relevant.

I wish we could just throw H2K out of Worlds and make up some OGN/LPL castoffs super team of like Duke, Spirit, U, OhQ, and Heart to take their place.

edit: I mean Ssumday is obviously better than Duke and I sort of love him breaking out the weirdly tanky top Yasuo out of nowhere early this split but I just like Duke. After all Duke invented the weirdly tanky top lane Kassadin!

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

The Mash posted:

For how garbage the ADC role is in the current meta, there's some really good ADCs to watch at this years Worlds. Imp is obvious but Deft and Bang are both incredibly good too. I haven't seen Imp carry a game as hard as that one Bang game on Lucian for instance. There's some good western ADCs too in Rekkles, Niels and Sneaky, and to a degree Doublelift now that the scarecrow seems to have found his brain.

I would've liked to see Uzi again this year though. His teams play worse as a result of trying to accomodate him, but his mechanical level is still probably the highest of any ADC in the history of the game.

Yeah, if Uzi was there it would pretty much be perfect. Hjarnan is actually pretty good as well. And then there's Wildturtle who umm....might steal a dragon or baron?

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

rabidsquid posted:

I wish we could just throw H2K out of Worlds and make up some OGN/LPL castoffs super team of like Duke, Spirit, U, OhQ, and Heart to take their place.

While H2K is not that good, their inclusion in worlds is critical because it means that all the important members of the KT Bullets (i.e. the best team in the history of league of legends (Insec, Kakao, Ryu, Score, Mafa)) will have gone to worlds, which is obviously way more important than the fleeting level of competition or some other junk.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Edit: This legends series is pretty good, there's a Goodfellas-esque tracking shot of Origen walking into the LCS studios that's pretty hilarious.

https://youtu.be/hIX3OkA1dHk?t=9m46s

Sexpansion fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Sep 29, 2015

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
You should link the pickems in the OP too!

I was watching a lot of matches from group stage last year, I forgot how many insane moments there were and it looks to me like a lot of the teams are even closer in skill now, so I look forward to lots of upsets!!

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
QG are the strongest team not at Worlds and it's not even close, I feel like.

Season 4, that title likely went to KT Arrows.
Season 3, to KT Bullets.

Season 2, drat if I know. Azubu Blaze? My knowledge of non-Western, non-Korean scenes was so sparse at the time.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
Ground floor motherfuckers. :getin:

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Jenny Angel posted:

I agree with this, LPL is really deep this year.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Endorph posted:

i hope all the americn teams get eliminated as early as possible so we dont have to hear USA USA chants ever

Lol, that won't stop people.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Jenny Angel posted:

Season 4, that title likely went to KT Arrows.
Season 3, to KT Bullets.

Season 2, drat if I know. Azubu Blaze? My knowledge of non-Western, non-Korean scenes was so sparse at the time.

Best team in Season 2 that missed Worlds was probably Azubu Blaze. They lost a 3-2 series to Najin Sword in the final qualifying round for a Worlds spot.

Najin and Azubu Frost both swept groups at Worlds and both lost to Taipei Assassins in the playoff.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Poor Clearlove, denied his documentary spotlight because Uzi is the only Chinese player the west is aware of.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
TPA in season 2 worlds was the weirdest thing ever. Moscow 5 and Azubu Frost looked so ridiculously strong at the time that it seemed unlikely that either of them would drop a single game to anyone but the other. I'm still pretty convinced that Diamondprox and Alex Ich would have the Worlds title they so deserve if their matchup vs TPA had been BO5 instead of BO3.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Didn't S2 worlds feature an 8 hour technical delay or some poo poo

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Some of the total nonsense from S2 Worlds:

quote:

Of the five first place teams (Team SoloMid, Moscow Five, Team WE, Taipei Assassins, and Azubu Frost) a random drawing was done to determine which four teams skip the group stage
The random drawing determined that Azubu Frost would go to the group stage while the others received a bye

:riot:

quote:

Mainland China: July 26 – Shanghai, China at China Joy – 2 teams
Europe: August 16 – Cologne, Germany at Gamescom – 3 teams
North America: August 30 – Seattle, United States at PAX Prime – 3 teams
Taiwan/Hong Kong/Macau: September 1 – Taipei, Taiwan at G1 – 1 team
Southeast Asia: September 9 – Da Nang, Vietnam at Tien Son Sports Palace – 1 team
Korea: September 21 – Seoul, Korea at the OGN eSports Stadium – 2 teams

Only 2 Korean teams when it was probably the strongest region.
Only 2 teams from what is the current SEA region (which is the same today) but that region at the time was relatively stronger than others.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

The Mash posted:

TPA in season 2 worlds was the weirdest thing ever. Moscow 5 and Azubu Frost looked so ridiculously strong at the time that it seemed unlikely that either of them would drop a single game to anyone but the other. I'm still pretty convinced that Diamondprox and Alex Ich would have the Worlds title they so deserve if their matchup vs TPA had been BO5 instead of BO3.

Has anyone rewatched s2 worlds recently? would be interesting to see how it compares to todays games. I watched a S1 game a while back and it was just...bizarre.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
In S2 it felt way more plausible to work around gaping holes in your enemy's gameplan. TPA beat M5 so badly because M5 really wanted to get a bunch of 5v5 teamfight victories and convert those into objectives, but TPA just didn't group up and played the map and M5 looked completely lost once there wasn't a single point on the map where they could group up and get kills.

EDIT: Obviously it's still very possible for one team to outplay the other on a map, but I've never since seen such a stark example of an otherwise really good team suddenly looking utterly powerless when they got strategically counterplayed.

Jenny Angel fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Sep 29, 2015

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Jenny Angel posted:

In S2 it felt way more plausible to work around gaping holes in your enemy's gameplan. TPA beat M5 so badly because M5 really wanted to get a bunch of 5v5 teamfight victories and convert those into objectives, but TPA just didn't group up and played the map and M5 looked completely lost once there wasn't a single point on the map where they could group up and get kills.

EDIT: Obviously it's still very possible for one team to outplay the other on a map, but I've never since seen such a stark example of an otherwise really good team suddenly looking utterly powerless when they got strategically counterplayed.

I think this is true and pretty interesting, and I think it's because split-push is one of the three or four bedrock styles of playing league. Teamfight, pick, split-push, and fast-push (not really used anymore but was a thing in season 3 and before) seem to be the four primary basic compositional strategies. Maybe you could call "skirmishing" a style, although I think that's really just a (modified) pick style.

Sexpansion fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Sep 29, 2015

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
I'm not sure M5 would've won had they played a Bo5 instead of a Bo3 though it probably would've helped them. If the whole tournament had been using a season 4/5 format with multiple game group stages and no quarterfinal byes it would've been a different story I think. As good as TPA were at the time and as a good an understanding of the game they had I still think they had a huge advantage in being a somewhat unknown team compared to the Korean teams.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Endorph posted:

i hope all the americn teams get eliminated as early as possible so we dont have to hear USA USA chants ever

Let's be real there will be USA chants.

There will be USA chants even if all NA teams get eliminated in pools.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
I really hope I don't forget to post "FREE SM" on Friday.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Sexpansion posted:

I really hope I don't forget to post "FREE SM" on Friday.

same

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i dont have anything to say besides the thread title is loving incredible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

jesus wept

• Locked thread