Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!

Jenny Angel posted:

In S2 it felt way more plausible to work around gaping holes in your enemy's gameplan. TPA beat M5 so badly because M5 really wanted to get a bunch of 5v5 teamfight victories and convert those into objectives, but TPA just didn't group up and played the map and M5 looked completely lost once there wasn't a single point on the map where they could group up and get kills.

I think this is exactly what's gonna happen to Origen vs the asian teams this year. People overestimate how much better the Chinese and Korean players are individually, it's their coordination and teamwork that sets them apart, and Origen still rely on just winning lanes and/or pick comps. When that wont work they'll get run over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
Wait what he actually said that. I thought it was some dumb twitter/reddit joke. Holy poo poo Quickshot literally is the dumbest gently caress. :suicide:

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

iSurrender posted:

I think this is exactly what's gonna happen to Origen vs the asian teams this year. People overestimate how much better the Chinese and Korean players are individually, it's their coordination and teamwork that sets them apart, and Origen still rely on just winning lanes and/or pick comps. When that wont work they'll get run over.

people forget that riot enables secret hacks on xpeke's account when he's at worlds tho, as evidenced by his previous dade battles

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Savage Cracker posted:

Wait what he actually said that. I thought it was some dumb twitter/reddit joke. Holy poo poo Quickshot literally is the dumbest gently caress. :suicide:

Welcome to the worst of the league casters, the rest are better than that we swear

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010

Luna Was Here posted:

Welcome to the worst of the league casters, the rest are better than that we swear

Oh I hate him at least as much as everyone else but I didn't think he was that stupid

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Firebert posted:

jesus wept

and god laughed

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
qu1kshot 0wns

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Jenny Angel posted:

QG are the strongest team not at Worlds and it's not even close, I feel like.

Season 4, that title likely went to KT Arrows.
Season 3, to KT Bullets.

Season 2, drat if I know. Azubu Blaze? My knowledge of non-Western, non-Korean scenes was so sparse at the time.
Fnatic beat TPA (4-0) like a month after TPA won Worlds, so I'm gonna say them. They also beat Blaze at the same tournament.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
KBD all of your groups except for D are like really ???????????????? any chance I can get explanations on some of them, for instance
why you think yoe is gonna beat CLG and pain
why you think iG is gonna beat fnatic and
why you think is gonna beat SKT

really thats it

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010

Killed By Death posted:

Fnatic beat TPA (4-0) like a month after TPA won Worlds, so I'm gonna say them. They also beat Blaze at the same tournament.

To be fair they replaced Lamia with Rekkles in between the Regionals for Season 2 Worlds and IPL 5

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Luna Was Here posted:

KBD all of your groups except for D are like really ???????????????? any chance I can get explanations on some of them, for instance
why you think yoe is gonna beat CLG and pain
why you think iG is gonna beat fnatic and
why you think is gonna beat SKT

really thats it
Flash Wolves have proven that they aren't completely terrible vs middling western competition, see them beating C9, SK and almost knocking TSM (looking basically the best they ever have) out of IEM. Pain has done nothing to prove they could even come close to doing the same, and I'm not convinced CLG is actually a good team yet. CLG have also been splitting jungler practice until recently (jungle is their weakest role, too). CLG need Zion to crush Steak to get a safe win, but Karsa is so much better than Xmithie that I think FW will be able to protect Steak. CLG/FW is sort of up in the air, yeah, but FW have performed well recently, so I think they can take it, maybe in a tiebreaker. Pain have no chance in this group imo.

iG's strongest point (KaKao) matches up against one of Fnatic's weakest (Reignover). KaKao is going to eat him alive. Fnatic's bot lane doesn't play aggressively enough to punish the relative weakness of Kid/Kitties imo. I think Zzitai/Huni is kind of a wash, and Rookie clearly beats Febiven, but Febiven seems to almost specialize in only losing by a small margin vs. much stronger competition, so I dunno how much mid will swing this match. At the end of the day I think KaKao is just too good for Fnatic to handle.

As for EDG/SKT, their head-to-head is 3/3 but I think EDG can take it going forward. This is the one I'm least sure of though, especially considering the AmazingJ/Koro1 situation.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Yeah I don't think any of those opinions are indefensible. In fact they are all well within reason.

I also have YFW second in Group A, ahead of CLG and Pain for similar reasons.

I think EDG/SKT could easily go 1 and 1 in the group, beat everyone else, and maybe have to tie-break. It depends on which versions of both teams show up, and how good they are on this patch.

I like Fnatic over IG but could easily see the opposite happening, for all the reasons KbD posted and the argument rabidsquid and I had way back when the group draw first happened.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Sexpansion posted:

I think this is true and pretty interesting, and I think it's because split-push is one of the three or four bedrock styles of playing league. Teamfight, pick, split-push, and fast-push (not really used anymore but was a thing in season 3 and before) seem to be the four primary basic compositional strategies. Maybe you could call "skirmishing" a style, although I think that's really just a (modified) pick style.

Yeah, I definitely feel like the reason we don't see poo poo like this anymore is because inter-region knowledge has become so accessible that regional metas have sorta gotten diluted. These days if someone in LCK busts out a new champion pick or lane setup and starts wrecking with it, Western players will be trying their damnedest to copy it in a matter of a week or two. Obviously you still get region-specific preferences and some matchups are gonna make certain teams look like clowns, but there aren't really strategies that one team or region is holding in reserve that'll blow their opponents' minds when they get deployed at Worlds.

Super-competitive regions are a big part of this as well, I feel like. With how insane LPL was this split, for example, I can't imagine any of the teams that made it to Worlds left much in the tank.

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
Lolesports have confirmed everyones suspicion that Westdoor > Acorn

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Xpecial V-Log about getting benched: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPZ7FKyJ3A8

It's actually pretty brutal. And very honest.

Killed By Death posted:

Yeah I could definitely see this happening, I don't think these picks are strange at all.

Here's mine:

I think at least one group will have an upset, and I think B and D are the groups with the highest chance of that occurring. I feel like it's about 33/33/33 that it's IG, FNC or KT, so after a bunch of back and forth I went with IG not making it out of groups.

Sexpansion fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 29, 2015

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really want pain to do well so I can feel less bad about all the losses I have against them. :v:

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Also, there are some serious omissions from that top 20 list, but Faker -> Imp -> GodV -> Kakao -> Rookie isn't a horrible top five at all.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Season 2 Best Season

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
My upset special is CLG over Koo :shobon:

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
A lot of people have faith in CLG and, well, I don't get it

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Sexpansion posted:

Xpecial V-Log about getting benched: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPZ7FKyJ3A8

It's actually pretty brutal. And very honest.

Can I get a cliff notes version please

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Xpecial said he deserves the benching and he still likes everybody and he wants to keep playing. Piglet and xpecial do not get along. Team liquid was able to find a support piglet liked before they could find an adc that xpecial likes.

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

Can I get a cliff notes version please

TLDW:
Xpecial benched due to Piglet not thinking he's very strong, and Liquid management questioning his ability.
The team also looked for new AD to go with Xpecial, but couldn't find one to mesh well, so stuck with Piglet instead.
Xpecial is still motivated to play, won't retire.

Pulled straight off of reddit because gently caress actually listening to xSpecial speak more than a single sentence

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
I'm pretty sure Meteos is TL's new support.

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Piglet doesn't like Xpecial, or playing with him. TL coaching staff (maybe teammates too?) have noted Xpecial has been playing poorly for a while.They tried out Xpecial with some new ADCs and Piglet with some new supports, and Piglet/Smoothie was the best combination, so Xpecial is gone. Xpecial still wants to play, probably going to a new team, doesn't know which one. Xpecial notes he thinks he's improved his attitude this year and that he wasn't benched for bad attitude. He doesn't blame or hold a grudge against anyone on the team for benching him, it's just normal procedure. Still likes Dominate.

As an aside this seems to further confirm that Piglet will actually be playing for TL in 2016, since they benched Xpecial for him.

quote:

I feel like it's about 33/33/33 that it's IG, FNC or KT, so after a bunch of back and forth I went with IG not making it out of groups.
While my Pick 'Em disagrees with this, I think this is a perfectly fair decision to make. All 3 of those teams are good enough to take games off each other, especially on a new patch with Bo1s. While I expect IG/FNC, any combination/order of AHQ/FNC/IG would be unsurprising, really.

I feel sorry for AHQ, really. If you swapped them with FW I'm sure they'd get out of Group A :(

Pronounced
Aug 18, 2013

henkman posted:

A lot of people have faith in CLG and, well, I don't get it

For me it's that I've been a fan since pre-season 1. Also this year they come in on the back of a championship so it's hard not to have faith.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I doubt Piglet will ever find a support he likes playing with or vice versa. That said, Doublelift was somehow able to find one, so we know it's not impossible.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Not really a big fan of this Legends Rising series after 2 episodes. The pairings seemed to be forced at best and disingenuous to the stories of both players at worst.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
http://pickem.lolesports.com/share/series/2/user/2698/my-picks

Picked CLG over KOO because there has to be an upset plus a hyped Asian team heavily underperforming in the group stages, that's basically a tradition at this point, and Group A seems most likely for it to happen.

Fnatic vs iG is a tossup, I went with Fnatic because I feel they're more clutch.

Picked SKT over EDG because EDG's manager all but said "We're going to sandbag and not show our strategies because we're confident we'll beat anyone in quarterfinals anyway", though I do think that overall EDG is stronger than SKT.

I think that regardless of who advances from groups, we're going to get a lot more close, competitive matches this year, which is fantastic.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

How do you figure Fnatic has a history of being clutch when they were so dominant in EU that they only were ever given a run for their money in the finals?

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

IXIX posted:

How do you figure Fnatic has a history of being clutch when they were so dominant in EU that they only were ever given a run for their money in the finals?

Even during that period of dominance they had a couple of matches in the regular split where they were down a lot of gold in the early game (I think it was both games against Origen and one against H2K) and still ended up winning both decisively just by playing smart.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

IXIX posted:

Well I guess it starts with defining whether or not you consider "clutchness" to be a real thing, and the second whether or not you recognize Fnatic as the kings of gaming that should top every possible metric even the really esoteric ones.

We need a Fnatic :smug: avatar that I can affix to all my posts about EU League.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Even during that period of dominance they had a couple of matches in the regular split where they were down a lot of gold in the early game (I think it was both games against Origen and one against H2K) and still ended up winning both decisively just by hunkering down and waiting for the other team to catastrophically throw.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Libertine posted:

We need a Fnatic :smug: avatar that I can affix to all my posts about EU League.

takle your picjk

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

:smug:

quote:

Somehow animated to become:
:unsmigghh:

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
C9 will make it out of groups and IG will not. Heard it here first folks!

Also I hate to be "that guy" but Liquid has been on Mars the whole time. That means "like before Hannah Montana was Miley" to all you LPL bandwagon nerds

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
My judgement of paiN was coming from the worlds rundown Summoners Insight where Thorin Monte and most guests who talked about paiN said they looked solid (but against brazilian teams so ???). I also think people are vastly underrating CLG (and always do) but as a CLG fan I'm prepared for the worst and when they get 0-3'd the first day they play I'm just going to accept it as my fate as a CLG fan.

the iG vs FNC matchup is a reasonable toss up but I'm gonna put my faith in Yellowstar to have made the adaptational changes to both their playstyle as a bot lane and play style as a team to match accordingly to ig. The jungle is certainly going to be a toss up but I think FNC are gonna pull out the win in that matchup through better players but its an either way matchup.

faker is going to crush pawn so hard he tilts the rest of the lpl with him Xd

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
CLG looked solid (but against NA teams so???)

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
CLG looked better due to coaching and I think that's big but its hard to tell the full extent of it yet. I'm very curious to see how they stand up.

Libertine posted:

Some of the total nonsense from S2 Worlds:

Only 2 Korean teams when it was probably the strongest region.
Only 2 teams from what is the current SEA region (which is the same today) but that region at the time was relatively stronger than others.

Also in S3, Korea only got 3 spots because they won All-stars - they were only naturally given 2 spots. (Not that anyone was really going to beat the S3 KR allstar team - even though this was pre-Faker (Ambition was mid), they still dunked on everyone.)

SK Telecom was the 3rd seeded Korean team in S3 and only got in because of that extra spot. If KR had only had 2 spots it would have been NJBS and Ozone from circuit points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stump collector
May 28, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yRoHMC-i-k

Peak Fnatic - obviously a different game but anyone in the Fnatic jersey has the clutch pedigree

• Locked thread