Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

As a person of partially Irish descent I demand non-Irish people stop... Wait, poo poo, we haven't ever done anything have we? Even whisky we stole from the Scots. gently caress.

My irish family tree has a long and proud tradition of being poor as gently caress, thats the only defining feature I remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Calibanibal posted:

i dont even want to imagine what texmex in the UK must taste like

Well, try to imagine it. The reality is much, much worse.

Miltank posted:

the shitfling squad will be here soon I'm sure.

e: haha nope, effectronica is probed for another six days.

Oh my, I just looked up xer rap sheet. I thought I could be proud of mine, but xers is quite impressive - that must be culturally-appropriative in some way. I only worry the xe is earnest about this all.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Whorelord posted:

music played with fiddles?

No, that's a Jewish thing, there is a whole play about it.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

blowfish posted:

Considering advertisement sombreros to be culturally appropriated racist tools of oppression will surely protect the completely oppressed UK Mexican minority that definitely exists in the way student union occifers imagine and there exists no country in which Mexican culture isn't oppressed.

This sounds dangerously similar to the pro-blackface Zwarte Piet (Dutch Santa's black Spanish slave servant lifelong companion, generally portrayed by a white person in blackface acting out various racial stereotypes) arguments.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Oh good, this thread again. It's definitely going places.

OP, cultural appropriation is p. much just the pretty okay idea of "don't steal people's important cultural poo poo and then turn it into a McDonalds Happy Meal(tm) theme," but it's a pretty vague okay idea so it's easy to do stupid things with it. As a solution, I propose the abolition of student unions, and also of cultures. Issue mandatory sombreros, dreadlocks kits, and bronzing spray to every person in the world.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Quorum posted:

Oh good, this thread again. It's definitely going places.

OP, cultural appropriation is p. much just the pretty okay idea of "don't steal people's important cultural poo poo and then turn it into a McDonalds Happy Meal(tm) theme," but it's a pretty vague okay idea so it's easy to do stupid things with it. As a solution, I propose the abolition of student unions, and also of cultures. Issue mandatory sombreros, dreadlocks kits, and bronzing spray to every person in the world.

Is it embarrassing?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

This is why White Pride rallies are going to come back.

EDIT: Nope, because we're already banning White heritage in America so I guess the only proper genocide is a white genocide. :shrug:

East Anglia: well known US state.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

feedmegin posted:

East Anglia: well known US state.

The thread's called "Cultural Appropriation" fucktard.

Or is East Anglia to origin of Cultural Appropriation so only East Anglia can be talked about?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

blowfish posted:

In Kommunist Russia Kapitalist China, Asian appropriates you!

Seriously, China and to a lesser extent other South East Asian countries are chock full of mindless aping of ~western~ cultural things, ranging from intentionally similar knockoff products to skin whitening cream for beautiful women (:staredog:) to whole fake castles and cities, which would be totally offensive if you did it here.

Look at this poo poo.

"east asians are racists, therefore i should be able to be racist, just like in my japanese animes"

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

i am not offended by chinese people building fake german castles

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Someone should post that one picture about culturally appropriating white culture.

You know, the funny one that shuts everyone down.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

TheImmigrant posted:

Is it embarrassing?

this thread? yes.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
As I white dude I don't find this offensive. Therefor, when 500 odd representatives of 40 different Lakota Tribes unanimously vote to try and combat this kind of poo poo, they're just being thin skinned babies. What would they know about cultural annihilation anyway?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
we all know the worst kind of cultural appropriation is when zoe quinn and other fake gamer girls try to ban video games forever

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

7c Nickel posted:

As I white dude I don't find this offensive. Therefor, when 500 odd representatives of 40 different Lakota Tribes unanimously vote to try and combat this kind of poo poo, they're just being thin skinned babies. What would they know about cultural annihilation anyway?

hmm yes the sombrero is a mystic and sacred part of mexican culture and furthermore

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
we really all should be incredibly upset with david cameron for appropriating welsh culture

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

7c Nickel posted:

This is an excellent standard for what constitutes cultural appropriation. In future, representative bodies comprised of recognized cultural authorities should have the right to tell people to knock that poo poo the gently caress off. Do-nothing student groups attempting to earn careers for themselves in activism should not.

Also they didn't enact the Ghost Dance so it seems like they don't really care all that much???

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Popular Thug Drink posted:

we really all should be incredibly upset with david cameron for appropriating welsh culture

forums poster popular thug drinks shows horrific cultural ignorance

sheep loving is a welsh tradition, pig loving is uniquely norfolkian tradition and therefore completely separate form welsh culture

where is the uea you ask? norfolk.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

I'm curious what people's thoughts are on stuff like this.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

blowfish posted:

In Kommunist Russia Kapitalist China, Asian appropriates you!

Seriously, China and to a lesser extent other South East Asian countries are chock full of mindless aping of ~western~ cultural things, ranging from intentionally similar knockoff products to skin whitening cream for beautiful women (:staredog:) to whole fake castles and cities, which would be totally offensive if you did it here.

Look at this poo poo.

The Western equivalent to this is the Vegas Strip.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.
My son hates Vampire Weekend because they stole so much stuff from Kenyan Highlife bands.

I am white, he is white.

That is my story.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

emfive posted:

My son hates Vampire Weekend because they stole so much stuff from Kenyan Highlife bands.

I am white, he is white.

That is my story.

Strange, my white friends who are against cultural appropriation just love Vampire Weekend.

White people are weird. :psyduck:

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Strange, my white friends who are against cultural appropriation just love Vampire Weekend.

White people are weird. :psyduck:

You can find youtubes of Kenyan bands playing (years before of course) songs that are essentially identical to Vampire Weekend songs.

[edit] jesus christ Highlife is West African I am an idiot (a white idiot). So Nigerian etc, not Kenyan.

My apologies.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

computer parts posted:

The Western equivalent to this is the Vegas Strip.

Not being sufficiently over-the-top for a Chinese Las Vegas, this is actually the Hebei University of Fine Arts (and mediocre taste).

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

7c Nickel posted:

I find their appropriation of the concept of Jihad to be problematic.

Indians posted:

We hereby and henceforth declare war against all persons who persist in exploiting, abusing and misrepresenting the sacred traditions and spiritual practices of our Lakota, Dakota and Nakota people.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Popular Thug Drink posted:

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Didn't the English start appropriating Welsh culture like 700 years ago? Isn't Charles's favorite song "Men Of Harlech"?

maybe that's :thejoke:

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx
There are really three types of cultural exchange, dumb people lump it all under "cultural appropriation."

Appropriation : The borrowing of cultural elements from another culture without due respect to said culture. Blackface, overuse of religious imagery devoid of context and ignorant cultural borrowing are examples of appropriation. E.g attending a Halloween Party as a stereotyped Native American Warchief.

Acculturation: The natural exchange of cultural ideas and experiences. Legitimate religious interest, inoffensive fashion trends as well as language and cuisine drift are all examples of Acculturation. Not problematic at all, if anyone tells you it is, they are part of the problem. E.g Being a white Buddhist, or eating/cooking food not endemic to your ethnic group.

Assimilation: The adoption of cultural elements at the expense of native culture. Similar to acculturation, but often forced or coeercive. Forced religious conversions, eradication of languages and criminalization/shaming of non-harm causing cultural elements are examples of assimilation. E.g the forced conversion of Native American peoples to Christianity.

Fox Ironic fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Fox Ironic posted:

There are really three types of cultural exchange, dumb people lump it all under "cultural appropriation."

Appropriation : The borrowing of cultural elements from another culture without due respect to said culture. Blackface, overuse of religious imagery devoid of context and ignorant cultural borrowing are examples of appropriation. E.g attending a Halloween Party as a stereotyped Native American Warchief.

Acculturation: The natural exchange of cultural ideas and experiences. Legitimate religious interest, inoffensive fashion trends as well as language and cuisine drift are all examples of Acculturation. Not problematic at all, if anyone tells you it is, they are part of the problem. E.g Being a white Buddhist, or eating/cooking food not endemic to your ethnic group.

Assimilation: The adoption of cultural elements at the expense of native culture. Similar to acculturation, but often forced or coeercive. Forced religious conversions, eradication of languages and criminalization/shaming of non-harm causing cultural elements are examples of assimilation. E.g the forced conversion of Native American peoples to Christianity.

Congratulations on making the first, and last, good post in this thread.

• Locked thread