Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'd say it's more that "we torched so much money and that many defunct versions that the only way it'll be a success is if we sell 10 million copies" than just reaching for the sky.

Actually it's just that he was misquoted and he was saying that 10 million is their high reaching goal. They do not require 10 million to break even.

It's like "We really hope we'll sell 10 million" not "We NEED to sell 10 million"

But since the latter has already been latched onto we'll be hearing about it for a loving decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I already corrected the quote and it's still going on, the internet complains about clickbait but then continues with clickbait.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Can I just say that I am super proud of everyone in that this was probably one of the few TDI threads that wasn't being closed once a week due to people being weird/creepy assholes?*

So proud :woop:

*that I can recall off the top of my head

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Happy Landfill posted:

Can I just say that I am super proud of everyone in that this was probably one of the few TDI threads that wasn't being closed once a week due to people being weird/creepy assholes?*

So proud :woop:

*that I can recall off the top of my head

I think it was closed once or twice (or thrice) when we started arguing about stupid poo poo or got way off-topic, but yeah, for the most part this crowd was well-behaved by the usual standards.

The usual standards, of course, being Resident Evil Death Video comments. :sigh:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://twitter.com/yokotaro/status/716183508280979456

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Onmi posted:

Actually it's just that he was misquoted and he was saying that 10 million is their high reaching goal. They do not require 10 million to break even.

It's like "We really hope we'll sell 10 million" not "We NEED to sell 10 million"

It still refers to literally impossible expectations as "boy, we sure think that's something that can happen".

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Xander77 posted:

It still refers to literally impossible expectations as "boy, we sure think that's something that can happen".

Please stop abusing the word 'Literally' because it makes me want to beat you over the head with a dictionary.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Onmi posted:

Please stop abusing the word 'Literally' because it makes me want to beat you over the head with a dictionary.
"We're *hoping* to sell more copies than there are consoles" is as literally impossible as it gets.

Edit - Huh. Could have sworn... well, my mistake then. Not literally, but *virtually* impossible marketing hopes.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Apr 2, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The install base of the consoles XV is launching on is estimated at 50 million +, at like 30/20 split for PlayStation.

There are a lot more consoles in homes than the number they originally said they were aiming for

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Xander77 posted:

"We're *hoping* to sell more copies than there are consoles" is as literally impossible as it gets.

Edit - Huh. Could have sworn... well, my mistake then. Not literally, but *virtually* impossible marketing hopes.

There we go.

Random_Username
Jan 1, 2013
I like to imagine SE marketing team had a similar conversation, agreeing that it was only *virtually* impossible to sell so many copies.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I'd actually probably buy it and I've completely given up on the franchise. (So long as it would more like Nier and less Drakengard)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

It's kinda telling how many people here actually think there's less than 10 million PS4's.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Random_Username posted:

I like to imagine SE marketing team had a similar conversation, agreeing that it was only *virtually* impossible to sell so many copies.

He's only mostly dead...

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Tae posted:

It's kinda telling how many people here actually think there's less than 10 million PS4's.

Still though, expecting every fifth PS4 and Xbone owner in the world to buy your game in order to become as successful as you hope is pretty loving unrealistic.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I read earlier that 10 million is Witcher 3 and MGS V combined sales.

10,000,000 is unlikely but there's no harm in aiming high and falling short.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

kalonZombie posted:

Still though, expecting every fifth PS4 and Xbone owner in the world to buy your game in order to become as successful as you hope is pretty loving unrealistic.

You mean the thing even the director said was an exaggeration goal?

People are trying way too hard to read into something that isn't.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Hi. Just popping back from the grim dark future of October 2016. Final Fantasy XV is the best Final Fantasy game yet. Final Fantasy XV is the worst Final Fantasy game yet. Also nerds are bitching about its framerate and lamenting the lack of a PC port yet, despite every single PC port by Square-Enix being kind of a shitshow.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

The Dark Id posted:

Hi. Just popping back from the grim dark future of October 2016. Final Fantasy XV is the best Final Fantasy game yet. Final Fantasy XV is the worst Final Fantasy game yet. Also nerds are bitching about its framerate and lamenting the lack of a PC port yet, despite every single PC port by Square-Enix being kind of a shitshow.

Strangely enough, everyone seems to love XV's smartphone port, which currently sits at 99% metacritic rating.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

The Dark Id posted:

Is Persona 5 out yet?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Actually, Lightning Returns was a marked improvement in terms of PC ports (though I supposed you'd hope so with the delayed wait for it), and I'm optimistic about future ports of SE's.

I was gonna goonsay myself but I scrolled up a bit and saw people squabbling over the details of the 10mil sales target figure and it put me in perspective.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Dark Id posted:

Nice to see Yoko Taro gave you the password to the wi-fi in his dungeon.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

The Dark Id posted:

Oh, come on, it isn't that bad, that's still a month before Trump got elected.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

The Dark Id posted:

To hell with all that - how's FFIX for PC?

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

The Dark Id posted:

drat it Id! Stop time traveling already! Didn't you do ENOUGH of that?!

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Psh, a little time hop like that is naught compared to traveling between three different times, of which two are alternate timelines brought about by your own actions, to shake the timestream until a single key item falls out :shepface: Final Fantasy Thirteen! Two!

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.

The Dark Id posted:

How's the FFX-2 LP going :v:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Psh, a little time hop like that is naught compared to traveling between three different times, of which two are alternate timelines brought about by your own actions, to shake the timestream until a single key item falls out :shepface: Final Fantasy Thirteen! Two!

Still better than the one where the protagonists of the previous game condemn the hero of Chrono Cross for the crime of creating a split in time when he ended up not drowning when he was a child... Or was it for just existing? I forget.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Malachite_Dragon posted:

That's the entire gameplay loop of Radiant Historia and both games rock, don't hate.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I can't comment on Chrono Cross' gameplay, but its writing is a tire fire.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I love Chrono Cross's writing for having the balls to make a civilization that protects nature from humans get destroyed, then letting you personally murder their equivalent of Captain Planet and also Jesus.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Wait, what? I don't get this. XIII-2 was about stopping a dude, not a MacGuffin/Plot Device.

As for Chrono Cross, now I'm just wondering what the most beloved games TDI has LP'ed are. A while ago - like a month or two maybe = a poster in the RPG thread said Xenogears sucked and he knew all he needed to know about why it sucked because of TDI's LP. A lot of posters pointed out the flaws of this reasoning and one person also noted that there was a lot of pro-Xenogears sentiment in the Xenogears LP thread, which is true. Apparently this is in contrast to the CC LP, which was not only TDI ripping on the game, but everyone in the thread saying it sucked, too.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Wait, what? I don't get this. XIII-2 was about stopping a dude, not a MacGuffin/Plot Device.
Indeed, it was. However, in order *to* stop the guy, you had to keep bouncing back and forth between timelines and alternate timelines to get the MacGuffin of the moment to advance to the next timeline, rinse and repeat, in order to get to the guy. At which point you end up doing exactly what he wanted anyway and ending the world, leading directly to the events of Lightning Returns :shepface:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

The Dark Id posted:

But are people still making GBS threads themselves over the use of the word "literally"?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
While I haven't read Id's LP of it Xenogears, it never looked any good to me. I always heard the dungeons were sloggy as poo poo and from what I've seen the writing was the epitome of pretentious 90's anime where they throw around a lot of Christian symbolism that ultimately means nothing because they did it to just look superficially deep and to jump on that EVA bandwagon.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 2, 2016

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
Xenogears and CC are both fantastic. They're both super flawed but they're still excellent.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

But are people still making GBS threads themselves over the use of the word "literally"?

People will literally never stop making GBS threads themselves over the use of the word 'literally'.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

NikkolasKing posted:

As for Chrono Cross, now I'm just wondering what the most beloved games TDI has LP'ed are.

Either NIER or FFX, probably. Everybody who's played NIER loves it, and FFX honestly seemed like a pretty good game when it came out.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
FFX is still fine gameplay wise. Just ignore all the post game garbage and turn your brain off when the plot gets rolling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Malachite_Dragon posted:

People will literally never stop making GBS threads themselves over the use of the word 'literally'.

Will people stop literally making GBS threads themselves over the use of the word 'literally'? I really hope so.

And everyone does seem to love Nier. Except for the people who did Life in the Sands, but who was crazy enough to do that? It's like judging FFX based on butterfly catching or blitzball or something - they just love to put in optional content that no one would ever be crazy enough to do, especially in an LP.

• Locked thread