Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Accordion Man posted:

While I haven't read Id's LP of it Xenogears, it never looked any good to me. I always heard the dungeons were sloggy as poo poo and from what I've seen the writing was the epitome of pretentious 90's anime where they throw around a lot of Christian symbolism that ultimately means nothing because they did it to just look superficially deep and to jump on that EVA bandwagon.

There really isn't any actual Christian symbolism in Xenogears but it did end up being a pretty ok allegory for the Gnostic creation story as filtered through 80s and 90s robot anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

dis astranagant posted:

There really isn't any actual Christian symbolism in Xenogears

I mean

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
Nier seems to be the most universally beloved by the people who read and post in these threads, but I think in terms of universal appeal it would be either FFX or Resident Evil 4.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Is that a furby Jesus?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Of course not.

It's much worse. Go read the Xenogears LP :unsmigghh:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Chrono Cross was good, and other than the obligatory Chrono elements (probably contractually obligated) its story is good, makes sense, and includes a legit excuse for the game to feature a rock opera. :colbert:

fight me

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Chantilly Say posted:

Chrono Cross was good, and other than the obligatory Chrono elements (probably contractually obligated) its story is good, makes sense, and includes a legit excuse for the game to feature a rock opera. :colbert:

fight me

Pistols at dawn.

To be fair, the game would have been a lot better if it had nothing to do with Chrono Trigger, as it clearly did at some point in development before it was rewritten into a sequel.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Chantilly Say posted:

fight me

Chrono Cross featured 40 different characters. At any given time, you could use two of them. That's pretty much objectively a bad design decision.

The accent generator was actually really impressive though, even if a lot of the accents they chose were abominations.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Qrr posted:

The accent generator was actually really impressive though, even if a lot of the accents they chose were abominations.
The time they spent making a system to give 40 characters gimmick accents could have instead been spent giving even 5 of them personalities

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

PFlats posted:

The time they spent making a system to give 40 characters gimmick accents could have instead been spent giving even 5 of them personalities

I think "objectively a bad design decision" covered that fairly well, yes.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

PFlats posted:

It was a single guy on the U.S. translation team who made the software that altered dialogue in real time, he had nothing to do with the writing in the game. He was trying to make as many of the characters as unique as possible, so if anything he actually added more to the characters.

I love CC, but it's not a well written game by any means.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Everyone here should re-read or read for the first time this bit from TDI's Chrono Cross Let's Play. It's hilarious by itself as it's such a stupid nonsensical clusterfuck but Dark Id makes it so much funnier by having the characters react to the insane gibberish they're listening to.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3337167&pagenumber=110&perpage=40#post382786430

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3337167&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=129

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3337167&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=132

I can't believe they released the game like that. I also can't believe it has 94 on metacritic. (While Nier has a rating in the 60s)

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I love Chrono Cross because it's clear Masato Kato was profoundly influenced by his time working on Xenogears. Cross is basically his attempt at a Chrono Trigger/Xenogears crossover.

Now, he didn't do quite as good a job as Xenogears but at least he tried. I still think the only super objectively 100% bad part of Chrono Cross is the very end with the kids who spew exposition at you. People complain Xenogears wasn't finished but at least Krelian or someone didn't say "oh, by the way, Grahf was your father. Shame he died five hours ago."

But yeah, CC is immensely flawed, but at least everyone acknowledges its godly music.

GregorCanteberry
Feb 12, 2014

The Dark Id posted:

Hi. Just popping back from the grim dark future of October 2016. Final Fantasy XV is the best Final Fantasy game yet. Final Fantasy XV is the worst Final Fantasy game yet. Also nerds are bitching about its framerate and lamenting the lack of a PC port yet, despite every single PC port by Square-Enix being kind of a shitshow.

Oh are you from the future? Answer me:

DOES THE DARK ID EVER FINISH HIS FFX LET'S PLAY?

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Leal posted:

Is that a furby Jesus?

Chu-chu died for your sins!

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

Stroth posted:

Chu-chu died for your sins!

All praise Chuthulhu, eventual Devourer of All!

Accordion Man posted:

I don't know what I'm talking about and seem to be using hipster arguments

Go read it, it really is good, both the writing TDI does and the game. If nothing else, you're missing out on some of the best music Yasunori Mitsuda did by passing it up.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

"Forgive them father, for they know not what they chu" still makes me laugh.

Also the most beloved is probably Resident Evil 4: NieR is one of my favourite games and even then RE4 still has an edge over it, it's just one of those games that you can reasonably state as one of the best of all time.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Resi 4 is the greatest game to ever kill a franchise

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Goddamn, Xenogears is the dumbest loving thing.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Beefstew posted:

Goddamn, Xenogears is the dumbest loving thing.

Xenogears was the best spent Christmas money of my life.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Xenogears is the best. It's also TDI's best LP and that final Citan update is pure and unadulterated greatness.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Xenogears makes up for gameplay issues with giant awesome robots and a needlessly complicated yet fun story

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
Is it wrong that I keep confusing Masato Kato as a character from Shadow Hearts?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Great LP, The Dark Id. I'm glad to see it finished. I love the way you tied in X-2 into the last couple of updates.

For all the flaws, I kinda like the story in this one. But then again, I haven't actually played it, which likely would have lowered my opinion.

The Dark Id posted:

Hi. Just popping back from the grim dark future of October 2016. Final Fantasy XV is the best Final Fantasy game yet. Final Fantasy XV is the worst Final Fantasy game yet. Also nerds are bitching about its framerate and lamenting the lack of a PC port yet, despite every single PC port by Square-Enix being kind of a shitshow.

The Last Remnant PC port is actually of higher quality than the XBox version with significant changes and improvements to gameplay.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 3, 2016

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I was just thinking of the FF series as a whole for a discussion elsewhere and I want to pay a comliment to FFX's story.

Now, I've played most FF games and I know about the rest. This didn't really happen in FF3 so I think it was FF4 when they started the proud tradition of our heroes loving everything up. When our intrepid adventurers kill Kefka or Sephiroth or Ultimecia or Kuja, they're really just fixing their own mistakes because none of these villains would be in positions to threaten the world without our protagonists.

This is not true for FFX. Yuna and co. have a consistent goal all game and at no point empower any of the bad guys. The world is never even really in danger when you think about it. If Yuna had died on the side of the rad somewhere, it's not game over like it would be if Zidane or Cloud had died.

So, good job our FFX Heroes. You didn't just make amends for your own screw-ups, you actually made entirely positive contributions to the world you inhabit.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 3, 2016

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Ehhhhh if Yuna had bothered sending Seymour the first time after they killed him, Kinoc would still be alive (and useless probably), as well as a healthy portion of the Ronso tribe (that never showed up on screen or either game makes the impact of their genocide felt).

So... yeah I guess you're actually right. Good job Yuna and co.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

NikkolasKing posted:

Now, I've played most FF games and I know about the rest. This didn't really happen in FF3 so I think it was FF4 when they started the proud tradition of our heroes loving everything up. When our intrepid adventurers kill Kefka or Sephiroth or Ultimecia or Kuja, they're really just fixing their own mistakes because none of these villains would be in positions to threaten the world without our protagonists.
That's not right at all though? Zemus and Golbez, ExDeath, Kefka, Sephiroth, and Kuja would still be doing their thing without the heroes being around.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Accordion Man posted:

That's not right at all though? Zemus and Golbez, ExDeath, Kefka, Sephiroth, and Kuja would still be doing their thing without the heroes being around.

Golbez explicitly only got his hand on one of the crystals because our heroes opened the door for him.
I can't remember enough for Exdeath or Kefka.
Sephiroth only got the Black Materia because Cloud gave it to him.
Ultimecia explicitly could not perform Time Kompression without our heroes letting her do that by possessing Rinoa.
Kuja only got back to Terra and was able to hijack the Invincible because our heroes broke the seal and then beat up Garland.

kalonZombie posted:

Ehhhhh if Yuna had bothered sending Seymour the first time after they killed him, Kinoc would still be alive (and useless probably), as well as a healthy portion of the Ronso tribe (that never showed up on screen or either game makes the impact of their genocide felt).

So... yeah I guess you're actually right. Good job Yuna and co.

She was going to send him but Tommell and some other Guardo took the body away before she could.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

She was going to send him but Tommell and some other Guardo took the body away before she could.

I'm still not entirely sure what the gently caress they were going to do with it. They live right by the Farplane, they know what happens if someone doesn't get Sent.
Stick his rear end in a giant flower-pot and hope that he's tree-person enough for it to perk him right up?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

NikkolasKing posted:

Golbez explicitly only got his hand on one of the crystals because our heroes opened the door for him.
Ultimecia explicitly could not perform Time Kompression without our heroes letting her do that by possessing Rinoa.
Kuja only got back to Terra and was able to hijack the Invincible because our heroes broke the seal and then beat up Garland.
Some of the heroes did inadvertently help some of them, but the way you phrased it sounded like the villains wouldn't have gotten anywhere if the heroes didn't screw up, which is false.

Kefka, for example, would have become a god no matter what because he was the agent of all of his own schemes.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 4, 2016

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

It's explicitly mentioned that Sephiroth had lackies he could've thrown at the temple to get the Black Materia.

Ultimecia would've succeeded just fine with hijacked Edea.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

It's explicitly mentioned that Sephiroth had lackies he could've thrown at the temple to get the Black Materia.

Ultimecia would've succeeded just fine with hijacked Edea.

Do you remember the Sephiroth Clones that weren't Cloud? They can barely talk, let alone solve puzzles.

Hm, I suppose he could have used one of the Jenova pieces to do it, though. Oh well.

As for Ultimecia and Edea,she never found Ellone because Edea was specifically thwarting her attempts to do so.. She only got to Ellone when our heroes took the possessed Rinoa into space, thereby helping her not only possess Adel, but capture Ellone.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

NikkolasKing posted:

Golbez was said to be in the process of forcing his way through the door. The team's entire reason to go and get the crystal themselves was to get it before he managed to get in anyway.

As mentioned, Sephiroth would've willingly thrown away his servants' lives to get the Black Materia himself, and Ultimecia was using Edea to try and do the same thing she ended up doing with Rinoa.

The part about Kuja getting back thanks to the heroes is true enough, but Garland was in the process of making Terra absorb Gaia, which would've hosed over the heroes (and everyone else on Gaia) even worse. Plus Kuja ended up being stronger than Garland and probably would've kicked his rear end without our help.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

I can't remember enough for Exdeath

Exdeath did everything he set out to do, he just didn't live long enough to enjoy it.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

Exdeath did everything he set out to do, he just didn't live long enough to enjoy it.

Kefka too, but he at least got a year to bask in nihilism.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Yeah XDETH would have freed himself from his bonds eventually. FFV is pretty similar to, say, VII, in that you are constantly one step behind Exdeath pretty much the entire time.

Speaking of FFVII, the Black materia is the wrong argument to make. I think it can be argued that if Cloud had never interacted with Jenova's headless torso inside the shinra building and caused it to "awaken" then the entire plot doesn't start when it does (though Sephiroth probably would have gained control eventually anyway).

Rohan Kishibe fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 4, 2016

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Yuna and friends did kind of gently caress things up by killing Yunalesca. I mean, the Final Aeon system was pretty lovely and the next calm was probably only going to last til brunch, but until Tidus came up with plan "just stab Sin in the face" and it somehow worked she was the only option they had that even gave a respite.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Qrr posted:

Yuna and friends did kind of gently caress things up by killing Yunalesca. I mean, the Final Aeon system was pretty lovely and the next calm was probably only going to last til brunch, but until Tidus came up with plan "just stab Sin in the face" and it somehow worked she was the only option they had that even gave a respite.

Come to think of it, they really did kill off Plan A LONG before coming up with a Plan B didn't they? Like, 50% of the game

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Qrr posted:

After killing Yunalesca, Yuna should have become the high priestess of a death cult encouraging Spira to place their faith in her and become Unsent. Everyone would become like those annoying holy rollers that are fearless in the face of clear danger and after everyone came back, Sin wouldn't be able to do poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Problem with that is because the Calms are getting shorter. Eventually it would get to the point where Sin would just reform almost immediately, and then the Yevon religion would start to break down. What would be the point of sending Summoners anymore if Sin is inconvenienced for all of ten minutes? They barely had time to have kids to repopulate as it was.

Shitenshi posted:

Sin wouldn't be able to do poo poo.

Unsent are just stubborn Pyreflies, and no one is as stubborn as Auron; they'd just be making themselves into tasty snacks for Sin to hoover up on its next pass.

• Locked thread