Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Even its combat which was interesting at the time has been one upped by multiple other F2P games that arent dead and/or dying like BDO and B&S. There really isnt any compelling reason to play WS unless you are interested in dead MMO tourism which admittedly can be kind of interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah there's a good argument to be made that Wildstar isn't bad, but just mediocre. Unfortunately this is somehow even worse since at least an earnestly bad game has charm and rubbernecking potential, but why even bother with a game that's just... there?

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

BexGu posted:

That's how every one got suckered in. The preview/races videos looked good and fun and then every one tried the free weekend and realized "This is just WoW". Later people found out the game was focused on the hardcore raiding crowd without various other problems and people just melted away.

If you tried the free weekend and posted "This is just Wow" in the wildstar thread on this very forum after the free weekend, you would've been dogpiled and run right outta that thread. I remember posting "I don't find medic fun, sorry Cyster" and the wildstar goons gave me a whole shitload of heat over it.

Goons were pretty loving stupid right up until and even after launch.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

CoffeeBooze posted:

Even its combat which was interesting at the time has been one upped by multiple other F2P games that arent dead and/or dying like BDO and B&S. There really isnt any compelling reason to play WS unless you are interested in dead MMO tourism which admittedly can be kind of interesting.

Ehhhhhh. BDO and B&S are so different than what we consider an MMO here in the west that they aren't really even the same genre. I wouldn't compare them. Wildstar ultimately is a themepark raiding game with a structure similar to early WoW and an updated combat engine.

The whole "This is just WoW only set back 10 years" is pretty much what killed it. I'm sure you can stand up a burning crusade server and get 450 autists to play on it. But the core group of players for a sub based MMO that ain't.

The market has moved away from six hours a night of raiding 5 days a week. The core MMO playerbase has kids now. They want to log in for an hour or two after they put their kids down and get something meaningful done in that period. Wildstar could never have been a WoW killer, but it could easily have either been the king of the F2P heap, OR a bit player in the subscription MMO crowd with a few million subs. IF they had listened to a smart person and made the majority of the content casual friendly, with hard modes for the sperglings.

The F2P transition was relatively good, but they still should have created lower tiers of all the content, because people still ran into the difficulty wall. And this game had some of the most difficult dungeons/raids I've ever played.

Ad by Khad posted:

If you tried the free weekend and posted "This is just Wow" in the wildstar thread on this very forum after the free weekend, you would've been dogpiled and run right outta that thread. I remember posting "I don't find medic fun, sorry Cyster" and the wildstar goons gave me a whole shitload of heat over it.

Medic wasn't fun. Spellslinger was kinda cool though.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

Making their content casual wouldn't have saved Wildstar. Hell, making their content -actually fun- wouldn't have saved Wildstar.

But even if they had done everything the right way, even if they had reached major success, calling it a Wow killer would still be absolutely hilarious. Paladins is, right at this moment, the 18th biggest game on steam. It is a free-to-play Overwatch. It was made by Hi-Rez, who despite being a terrible company have actually kinda struck some gold here. But compare it to the literal billion-dollar franchise that Overwatch is, and it's like comparing Earth to Jupiter. Even if Wildstar had been successful, that'd be the kind of comparisons we'd be making between it and Warcraft.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Ad by Khad posted:

There is no goon more rabid then one defending a MMO then has just launched/about to launch. I tried for 20 min and I just could not shake the feeling I was playing 2004 WoW but with pretty graphics.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

I thought "this is just WoW circa 2004 but with better combat" was one of Wildstar's selling points.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

The Moon Monster posted:

It's not as bad as this thread makes it sound but it's not good either, and it's dying/dead so why play it?
Why play any rando F2P MMO? If it is appealing for a little while and you can drag a friend into it (or they drag you) then go for it. It's tolerable for a while and you'll get your money's worth, then you can move on to the next thing.

BuckFiddy
Aug 4, 2017
I'm downloading this now just to see what all the fuss is about.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Ad by Khad posted:

The debate on both sides was pretty loving dumb tbf.

I remember some goon arguing that you can't have hard content because hypothetically they might be playing with an extremely mentally and physically handicapped player and if they can't do content then neither should anyone else.

And poo poo, Wildstar's 5 man content wasn't even that hard if you weren't trying to do the silver/gold timers (Which is now a thing in WoW that people mostly like, who knew?)

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

BuckFiddy posted:

Hey now, don't be cruel to the Wildfire Devs and give them false hope.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

BuckFiddy posted:

Let us know when you quit and which part frustrated you the most, it'll be entertaining (for me at least).

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

BexGu posted:

There is no goon more rabid then one defending a MMO then has just launched/about to launch. I tried for 20 min and I just could not shake the feeling I was playing 2004 WoW but with pretty graphics.

Space Jam was cool and chill and is still a cool and chill place to play WoW nowadays.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

I thought it was OK, I think I got until level 20. My gripes were the UI and as a robot person I thought the intro area was kind of weird. Hard to describe - I think most of the game's issues for me were visual, like every aspect just had too much going on.

As for lovely MMOs of the month I am playing Albion atm. I'm surprised it came out -- I contributed to the kickstarter (only the second time I've done that) and gave up on it when they initially canceled mobile support, but it actually released and, aside from DDOS issues, I think it's a decent game.

Is DDOSing really that big a thing now? I didn't believe them until the mods posted numbers from their servers. FFXIV dealt with one with their recent expac release, too. Just another thing new MMOs will have to deal with I guess.

BuckFiddy
Aug 4, 2017

CrashCat posted:

Let us know when you quit and which part frustrated you the most, it'll be entertaining (for me at least).

Just finished up my first play session. Made myself an engineer, played through the tutorial, went to the snowy starting zone, and killed some yetis. The combat seems fun, and I may actually log in again but I don't really see anything that will hook me.

I'll update if anything noteworthy happens.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

DDOS attacks on game servers have become an incredibly common thing. During WoW's last expansion for example Blizzard got his with a massive attack, I think it was AA that had their servers go down several times due to attacks too. You can pretty much rent out botnets to launch these attacks so the skill required for them is stupid low, and since Lizard Squad or whatever it was called got semi-famous for taking down the Play Station Network every idiot who wants 15 minutes of fame has been trying it.

How is Albion shaping up anyways?

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

CoffeeBooze posted:

DDOS attacks on game servers have become an incredibly common thing. During WoW's last expansion for example Blizzard got his with a massive attack, I think it was AA that had their servers go down several times due to attacks too. You can pretty much rent out botnets to launch these attacks so the skill required for them is stupid low, and since Lizard Squad or whatever it was called got semi-famous for taking down the Play Station Network every idiot who wants 15 minutes of fame has been trying it.

How is Albion shaping up anyways?

I find it fun, especially since I'm in my periodic slump with FFXIV atm (I play off/on every few months). The servers were really lovely the past few weeks, but today and yesterday they've been fine for me. Maybe the DDOSing crew gave up on trying to get their ransom money, lol. They sent the devs a letter that was at about a fifth-grade writing level.

The goon guild has a lot of drama but I have A) not paid it any attention and B) don't talk much so I haven't been involved.

The game itself is very much a skinner box, you just grind forever. People PVP a lot. I'm just about to the point where I feel comfortable PVPing, but I haven't tried it yet, myself. It doesn't seem very P2W to me, but I've played Archeage and BDO, so I'm not sure if that says much coming from me - I might just have like video game post traumatic stress disorder.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

It's almost been two years since this thread was posted and Mildstar is somehow still going.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Givin posted:

Space Jam was cool and chill and is still a cool and chill place to play WoW nowadays.

Was that the one Doublestep headed? Is he even still playing with goons after the Archeage pedo purge?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Deki posted:

Was that the one Doublestep headed? Is he even still playing with goons after the Archeage pedo purge?

Nope, Space Jam was the WoW guild Gold Knuckles + others.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Deki posted:

And poo poo, Wildstar's 5 man content wasn't even that hard if you weren't trying to do the silver/gold timers (Which is now a thing in WoW that people mostly like, who knew?)

The problem is silvering was required to raid. And getting Silver/Gold was far more difficult than the raids you were attuning for. I succesfully raided in Wildstar and I'd say a solid 50% of the raid were completely incapable of finishing a 5 man without a carry from "The smart crew."

Skullcano in particular just seemed to break some people's brains. Timed jump mechanics are a bitch if you don't have thumbs I guess. Most of our tanks/healers were solid, so we usually stacked 2 dps + one retard dps into the group and used the "Good Players" to drag the mostly dead all the time person through the attunement.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Kel Voreth sucked too if I recall correctly.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Deki posted:

Doublestep lead the wildstar goon guild furry dude side. SCT was the head of the aa guild that Harbored the pedo.

Doublestep plays ffxiv iirc.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

The main issue was the temple dungeon with a... 40 minute + timer? It was just an endurance slog with the penultimate boss being one of the hardest

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

super sweet best pal posted:

It's almost been two years since this thread was posted and Mildstar is somehow still going.

"Still going" is a bit of an exaggeration, to be honest

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CrashCat posted:

"Still going" is a bit of an exaggeration, to be honest

Wildstar is Strong and Stable.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Holyshoot posted:

Doublestep lead the wildstar goon guild furry dude side. SCT was the head of the aa guild that Harbored the pedo.

Doublestep plays ffxiv iirc.

Doublestep was caught up in the AA pedo drama though. I forget the details but his name definitely came up quite a bit during that whole hilarious mess.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

super sweet best pal posted:

Wildstar is alive, "Wildstar will be dead in a year" BBG himself is not.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

CoffeeBooze posted:

Doublestep was caught up in the AA pedo drama though. I forget the details but his name definitely came up quite a bit during that whole hilarious mess.

From what I remember of the AA Drama-Explosion, wasn't Doublestep the guy that was leading the pirate raids that lead to the whole Fishing Pact mess? I know that was going down at around the same while not really being connected to the pedophile thing.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Doublestep was involved in the child predator being let back into the guild mess, I forget how exactly since that whole thing was so convoluted but it definitely wasnt in a good way.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
He continued to play with the dude after everything went down and they were like talking about how to parachute account the pedo back into the guild after a few months, their chat logs in some random Eve irc were leaked or something

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Also something about wool

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
i still don't understand how someone can be so brokebrained that they not only continue to associate with a child molester but also try to covertly sneak said child molester back into their social circle

"pedos are bad" should not be a controversial stance

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

RottenK posted:

i still don't understand how someone can be so brokebrained that they not only continue to associate with a child molester but also try to covertly sneak said child molester back into their social circle

he didnt do it to me... we dont hang out in real life... its not the same

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

30.5 Days posted:

He continued to play with the dude after everything went down and they were like talking about how to parachute account the pedo back into the guild after a few months, their chat logs in some random Eve irc were leaked or something

I thought it was boat that kept sneaking him back in, which isn't surprising because boat was a big defender of his when the whole :pedo: thing hit goonfleet.

I mean bfm was creepy regardless of gross diddler status. He had his bedroom tarted up to make him look like a considerate and thoughtful lover. A chair casually draped in fine fabrics with a viola sitting upon it. Did he play the viola? No. That's just decoration. For the babes.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Aug 15, 2017

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

RottenK posted:

If I remember correctly the pedo/BFM was a massive poopsocker and could farm up a lot of mats/loot so the excuse was "he contributes to the guild!"

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

MH Knights posted:

If I remember correctly the pedo/BFM was a massive poopsocker and could farm up a lot of mats/loot so the excuse was "he contributes to the guild!"

That is correct.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

30.5 Days posted:

it didn't take months. it was days.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
also several of the egregrious lunatics truly believed it was an imp zone/sa moderator conspiracy to make the (non existent) imp zone guild the Official Something Awful Guild by gassing the thread and putting the, again, completely false guild in the op and everybody who brought up the pedophile thing was Virtue Signaling and only wanted those sweet, sweet guild experience points or what the gently caress ever was the benefit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Rhymenoserous posted:

I thought it was boat that kept sneaking him back in, which isn't surprising because boat was a big defender of his when the whole :pedo: thing hit goonfleet.

I mean bfm was creepy regardless of gross diddler status. He had his bedroom tarted up to make him look like a considerate and thoughtful lover. A chair casually draped in fine fabrics with a viola sitting upon it. Did he play the viola? No. That's just decoration. For the babes.

How can you not play the viola? It's one note, the really advanced viola players might get entrusted with playing a second one.

• Locked thread