Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Stability issues aside, I've hit level 12 and the game feels like a pretty standard MMO so far, if one closer to GW2 than WoW in basic gameplay. I do like the paths system and the game's embrace of a cartoony atmosphere both in visual design and story/characters rather than a grimdark please-take-us-seriously approach like most MMOs, but so far nothing's really impressed me. Most Kill X quests drag on, and while the quick-time events are annoying at least they seem to take pity on you after three or four fails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
if only you would take pity on yourself

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tarranon posted:

if only you would take pity on yourself

I'm giving it a try because it's free. I did not and will not pay money for Wildstar.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

I'm giving it a try because it's free. I did not and will not pay money for Wildstar.

Normal people value their time.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.

Cythereal posted:

It gets vastly worse in a few levels.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Is the PvP/Group Finder (is there a group finder?) cross-server? If it was I guess you could roll dominion on the PvP server and level that way with no queues, since everyone is exile. Who am I kidding, I doubt they are cross-server.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Cyclomatic posted:

It gets vastly worse in a few levels.

Whats worse about it? Leveling was fun in Wildstar, at least compared to most MMOs, the end game stuff wasn't really that much fun, mainly because dungeons were stupidly complicated and you had to grind them too much and all the content at level 50 besides dungeons was dailies.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

Reason posted:

Whats worse about it?

Whitevale.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Cythereal posted:

Stability issues aside, I've hit level 12 and the game feels like a pretty standard MMO so far, if one closer to GW2 than WoW in basic gameplay. I do like the paths system and the game's embrace of a cartoony atmosphere both in visual design and story/characters rather than a grimdark please-take-us-seriously approach like most MMOs, but so far nothing's really impressed me. Most Kill X quests drag on, and while the quick-time events are annoying at least they seem to take pity on you after three or four fails.

You got further than me I got sick of it at lvl 5.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Al Borland posted:

You got further than me I got sick of it at lvl 5.

Sup level 5 I quit buddy. Went through 3 beta phases and never got past level 5

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Cythereal posted:

I do like the game's embrace of a cartoony atmosphere both in visual design and story/characters rather than a grimdark please-take-us-seriously approach like most MMOs

Isn't this the game that kills a pregnant woman for drama?

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer
I got to level 10 but the lag is pretty horrible. 5 seconds for anything to register. I think i'm gonna pull my fingernails out while i wait for them to fix it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Just got to Illium, and taking the tour stopped me for the night. Capital cities this huge irritate me and I've completely lost track of any story I'm supposed to be following. Mobs feel like they have too much health for how densely they're packed and how many of them you typically need to kill for quests.

I wanted to give the game a fair shake, but it feels like World of Warcraft circa The Burning Crusade. That is not a good feeling.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.
is this as incredible™ as the WoW general forums and gamefaqs claim? Have carbine truly learned from their mistakes and crafted a superior tapestry of an mmorpg?

Scoop or poop, folks?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Dolphin Fetus posted:

is this as incredible™ as the WoW general forums and gamefaqs claim? Have carbine truly learned from their mistakes and crafted a superior tapestry of an mmorpg?

Scoop or poop, folks?

Its the same as it was, just free.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dolphin Fetus posted:

Scoop or poop, folks?

Since I'm the closest thing to a Wildstar apologist who's been posting in this thread... No, Carbine has not learned. When you can log in and play relatively lag-free at all - not a safe bet - it's a thoroughly mediocre MMO whose sprinkling of good ideas and charm (your mileage may vary on how charming and funny it is) can't hide a badly outdated basic game design. There are worse free games out there, but it doesn't appear to have changed much since launch.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Reason posted:

Its the same as it was, just free.

So... A game that's actually pretty good but had some glaring HARDCORE-related issues which have supposedly been fixed?

I mean the actual gameplay has never been bad, and it's really annoying to see so many of you being so jaded about the game. There wasn't enough planning done to prepare for this many players, or not enough funding given. New servers is probably a Big Head at NCSoft going "poo poo, this thing is more popular than we thought. Give them money and people!"

Having recently gone through WoW for the umpteenth time, I don't see what makes the questing really any better. Kill this, kill that. Click on this thing, kill that big thing etc. WildStar at least feels fast and actiony, when it isn't lagging. That's the big thing I guess, WoW can play fine when you're lagging like hell but you can't hope to complete a challenge when it takes 6 seconds for the server to recognize you killed a thing but the timer keeps counting down.

I'm honestly hoping that they get this settled down with a new server, always found the game to be a fun silly thing.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Dolphin Fetus posted:

Scoop or poop, folks?

The game HAS improved from what I've seen and played, and doesn't have as much bullshit as it used to have, but at the end of the day it is just another MMO. It does have the Burning Crusade feel to it, and whether that's a plus or not is up to you.

If you didn't like Wildstar because of bullshit like sprinting and interrupt armor and some of the other ridiculous HARDCORE bullshit, and that was the only thing keeping you from enjoying it, then yeah you might like it better now. It's still Carbine and they're still learning, but they HAVE learned on some levels and listened to input outside of their rabid fans; just some of those lessons may have come too little too late.

Mind if you disliked it for any of its other core gameplay, like the combat system and the art style, then you're going to want to just pass on by. They've simplified some of the game but at its heart it's still an action MMO where you have to dodge enemy attacks and combat takes multiple rotations, just now you don't have to worry about interrupt armor (and at the same time, don't get the bonus damage from the interrupt armor break.)

But the zones are the same, they've only added a handful of dungeons; on the flip side, they have spread out their dungeons and such so it's not all clumped together at higher level, so you have more you can do across the levels. Tradeskills have been simplified, their rune system has been simplified, and in general loot has been rebalanced and made more intuitive, and upgrades can come more often. They still have too many stats and some classes still feel chunky, but that likely isn't going to change.

Cythereal has the right of it, except it's been IMPROVED into just being mediocre. Before it was pretty well butts. I think once the servers stabilize and they get a steady income and steady players who aren't all rabid, diehard shitheels then it might be able to grow more. But if you're looking for another [insert your favorite MMO here] then you're not likely to find it with Wildstar.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.
How are the dungeons? That's kind of a maker or breaker for me, I like to try raids if possible but I mostly do dungeons. That's one of the reasons I keep coming back to WoW because I have so much fun leveling new classes in dungeon finder. I couldn't get into Guild Wars 2 because of the (IMO) awful, bland dungeons.

I honestly might give this a try. I tried downloading EQ2 because I wanted to try something kinda different from WoW, maybe a bit more hardcore in the vein of BC or Vanilla, but my computer just wouldn't run it well for some reason. I got several classes to cap in FFXIV but the game just left such a sour taste in my mouth. I know people here swear by it and love it but it just felt like WoW without cartoony graphics and slightly worse combat.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Dolphin Fetus posted:

How are the dungeons? That's kind of a maker or breaker for me, I like to try raids if possible but I mostly do dungeons. That's one of the reasons I keep coming back to WoW because I have so much fun leveling new classes in dungeon finder. I couldn't get into Guild Wars 2 because of the (IMO) awful, bland dungeons.

I honestly might give this a try. I tried downloading EQ2 because I wanted to try something kinda different from WoW, maybe a bit more hardcore in the vein of BC or Vanilla, but my computer just wouldn't run it well for some reason. I got several classes to cap in FFXIV but the game just left such a sour taste in my mouth. I know people here swear by it and love it but it just felt like WoW without cartoony graphics and slightly worse combat.

Not good.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Dolphin Fetus posted:

v:shobon:v I haven't had a chance to try many of them, but I liked what little I saw. I know the shiphands are pretty good; they're like what scenarios in MoP were, if you played during that era of WoW. The initial tutorial dungeon got made fun of in the last thread, and rightly so, but I dunno if it's applicable anymore since a lot of poo poo has been toned down.

Wildstar has dungeons (self-explanatory), shiphands (again, scenarios from MoP), and adventures (kinda like guildhests from FF14? maybe?). The first handful I got to try even before the F2P were pretty good, but I didn't get to try them in the F2P beta. With the server issues going on I haven't tried to get on and check them out. I know one of the first adventures you get involves a sort of DotA like thing where you have to push to an enemy base and help out your NPCs and all that; it was pretty fun. And the first shiphand has you jumping in low gravity and killing hundreds of weak rear end goblins to a little 1950's style sci-fi story, complete with the jaggy font and a cheesy title.

Dungeons are pretty straight forward, but adventures and shiphands tend to have more gimmicks and different playstyles and themes to them. I think highest I got on my free month was about 20 or so, and they hadn't shifted a lot around by then; I think the first dungeon pre-F2P changes was 25 or so, and first adventure was 15. Not 100% sure how much that has changed.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
As someone who does not value their time, I have gotten to level 25 over the last couple of days. There's a literal tutorial dungeon at 10 (complete with someone telling you not to stand in the red circles), and another dungeon at 20. The tutorial was actually harder than the one at 20, because it wasn't afraid to instantly kill you for screwing up the one thing it was trying to teach you. Bosses love to do this thing where they knock you really far back and start channeling a super death move that you have to interrupt. If you like dodging circles while trying to keep up your rotation I guess that's cool? It's all circles all the time though. That's just the game.

Anyway, I think the game generally gets more interesting as you get more of your moves. The ones you start with are just really basic and boring. Red circles also get more dangerous as you get higher level, so dodging becomes more important, and that makes things much more interesting. There's something I find thrilling about diving out of a circle, I dunno. I've been soloing all the group quest bosses (who I can't interrupt at all because they have 2+ interrupt armor), and it's kinda fun. Not only that, many quests that require you to kill X guys also have a "miniboss" you can take on for up to 50% quest completion in one swoop, which is way more interesting than killing 10 chumps for 5% each. But also good odds of killing you if you're not careful. So... yeah, diving out of circles. If you like that, then it's sort of fun. And if don't, then you shouldn't bother.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

Clarste posted:

As someone who does not value their time, I have gotten to level 25 over the last couple of days. There's a literal tutorial dungeon at 10 (complete with someone telling you not to stand in the red circles), and another dungeon at 20. The tutorial was actually harder than the one at 20, because it wasn't afraid to instantly kill you for screwing up the one thing it was trying to teach you. Bosses love to do this thing where they knock you really far back and start channeling a super death move that you have to interrupt. If you like dodging circles while trying to keep up your rotation I guess that's cool? It's all circles all the time though. That's just the game.

Anyway, I think the game generally gets more interesting as you get more of your moves. The ones you start with are just really basic and boring. Red circles also get more dangerous as you get higher level, so dodging becomes more important, and that makes things much more interesting. There's something I find thrilling about diving out of a circle, I dunno. I've been soloing all the group quest bosses (who I can't interrupt at all because they have 2+ interrupt armor), and it's kinda fun. Not only that, many quests that require you to kill X guys also have a "miniboss" you can take on for up to 50% quest completion in one swoop, which is way more interesting than killing 10 chumps for 5% each. But also good odds of killing you if you're not careful. So... yeah, diving out of circles. If you like that, then it's sort of fun. And if don't, then you shouldn't bother.

Eh, I guess I don't have anything to lose from downloading the game and trying it. How balanced are the dps classes? Really want to make either a ranged magic-y type class or possibly a rogue archetype. Is there any dps class analogous to a (any spec) warlock from WoW?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

loquacius posted:

I swear to God this poo poo wasn't this much of a trainwreck last summer, what happened

Is it because they fired all the devs and outsourced maintenance or what?
Basically they condensed the game down to like two servers, and then relaunched the game for free without thinking that maybe they need a few more servers.

I mean, I get it: queues for a week is better than spreasing the population too thinly which bites you in the rear end when over half these people leave in however many weeks. But it still seems short-sighted, as if they actually believed their megaserver BS.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Guys Carbine should just wait for all the non-dedicated players to quit we don't need new/bigger servers!

https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/134175-we-do-not-need-another-servera-bigger-server/

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

Verranicus posted:

Guys Carbine should just wait for all the non-dedicated players to quit we don't need new/bigger servers!

https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/134175-we-do-not-need-another-servera-bigger-server/

This level of fan fervor has me convinced: I'm in for an epic, mind blowing experience when WS finishes installing for me. Half way there, baby!!

Dolphin Fetus fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Oct 2, 2015

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003

John Dyne posted:

Mind if you disliked it for any of its other core gameplay, like the combat system and the art style, then you're going to want to just pass on by. They've simplified some of the game but at its heart it's still an action MMO where you have to dodge enemy attacks and combat takes multiple rotations, just now you don't have to worry about interrupt armor (and at the same time, don't get the bonus damage from the interrupt armor break.)

I thought the bonus damage was from interrupting a cast-time ability. The interrupt armor was just there to make it require multiple abilities and/or players to get to the "your interrupt spell actually interrupts the ability." For what you said to be true they would have had to remove cast-time abilities from all the mobs or changed the way moments of opportunity worked.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Make sure to be very vocal in Zone chat about things you dislike. There's hours of entertainment to be had there.

Best response so far has been in response to me talking about a long standing bug since beta (keybinds getting messed up when you login). The response was "well if you don't like it, code your own MMO".

Having put a couple of days into the game, there are definitely some good things hidden within. It's really unfortunate that those good things are so drastically overshadowed by a lot of bad design decisions and straight up incompetent development. The amount of regressions they create after patches, and such is staggering and really shows that they are basically in "poke and hope" mode. You can't really be angry because it's downright comical.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

I just made a cat man with dragon ears who's an esper. This game is the opposite of every non-WoW mmo I've played. Usually my complaint with them is that it feels like someone poured molasses all over my character after coming from WoW (GW2, FFXIV) but drat..my character runs like he's on amphetamines.

The game actually seems kind of cool, I really dig the style and look. I haven't actually started participating in the gameplay though but its a shame the game is supposedly as bad as it is because it seems kinda neat so far.

edit - now my keybinds stopped working and I keep getting annoying pop up messages mid combat from npcs :|

Dolphin Fetus fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Oct 2, 2015

Crumpet
Apr 22, 2008

Dolphin Fetus posted:

edit - now my keybinds stopped working and I keep getting annoying pop up messages mid combat from npcs :|

See, this is the leading problem with the game right now (past the fact that this f2p launch has been an unmitigated disaster) - the game is actually fairly good combat-wise, looks pretty (even if I'm not a fan of the art style itself), and has decent music, but all of that is overshadowed by the dull as dishwater story, the numerous annoying-but-not-gamebreaking bugs that have mostly been around since the original launch (in some cases since early beta), and arguably the sense of 'humour' that the game shoves down your throat. Also the levelling really really sucks past about 30 from what I've heard, which hasn't changed from before.

This is completely discounting the endgame of course.

Edit: Oh and PVP in this game may as well be nonexistent - it sucks and nobody plays it.

vvv I dont actually play the game, because I'm not retarded, I was more on about max level pvp with what I've heard from people who play.

Crumpet fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Oct 2, 2015

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Crumpet posted:

Edit: Oh and PVP in this game may as well be nonexistent - it sucks and nobody plays it.

On the PVP server queues are popping within 2 minutes in the first 3 brackets so far. I've basically levelled via PVP alone. It's the only thing I "play" in this game. :shobon: If you're on the PVE server you deserve the scrublord carebears ;)

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Which faction are you Stanley?

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer
I'm on the PvE server as Small Weewee if anyone wants to level together or something this weekend.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Dolphin Fetus posted:

I just made a cat man with dragon ears who's an esper. This game is the opposite of every non-WoW mmo I've played. Usually my complaint with them is that it feels like someone poured molasses all over my character after coming from WoW (GW2, FFXIV) but drat..my character runs like he's on amphetamines.

The game actually seems kind of cool, I really dig the style and look. I haven't actually started participating in the gameplay though but its a shame the game is supposedly as bad as it is because it seems kinda neat so far.

The game has some very good ideas that are actually well implemented. The way your character feels really responsive like in WoW, the combat system, ability system, art style and music are all pretty good. A lot of the components for a very solid game are there. The problem is it all bogs down when you start encountering the stubborn grognard style of end game design, a substantial number of bugs that never seem to get addressed, and a management team that seems to be utterly incapable of dealing with it all. Oh, and what little remains of the community is as bottom of the barrel as it gets.

Maybe some of this has changed with the f2p relaunch, but based on how it has gone so far I doubt it. When a development house has management issues it seems like it is almost impossible for anything to improve.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Rasmussen posted:

Which faction are you Stanley?

Exile. Made an Elf Eared freaky whatever the gently caress called Anime Princess ;P

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
AMPs unlock automatically now after level 10 or so don't they? Having to find drops or buy the drat thing from rep vendors was the worst goddamn decision.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
LOL AMP unlocks weren't like this before? WOW. Hardcore Talent Trees indeed. I can't imagine having to hunt down mobs or NPCs, etc to unlock those.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

Stanley Pain posted:

LOL AMP unlocks weren't like this before? WOW. Hardcore Talent Trees indeed. I can't imagine having to hunt down mobs or NPCs, etc to unlock those.

It was just the last ring of AMP abilities, and most of them were buyable from rep vendors that, provided you quested to level, you'd already have the rep for. Some of them (in particular a spellslinger one) were pretty rare drops and as such cost a billion plat.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
I am sure part of that was inflation due to that infinite money bug or something that destroyed the game's economy a while back.

A shame about this game's community though, it's the sole reason I won't give the game a second chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Loose Ifer posted:

I'm on the PvE server as Small Weewee if anyone wants to level together or something this weekend.

Considering the servers seem to be down again, I don't think this will work out.

• Locked thread