Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
There was also some other dude claiming there was a conspiracy of the pedos to drive him out of the Star Citizens guild which results in lots of tears from him too. The AA drama really did raise the bar for goon guild drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'd only ever stumbled onto the fringes of it so this is all a bit :psyduck: for me right now

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah goon mmo drama owns

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

sword_man.gif posted:

it didn't take months. it was days.

BFM never actually got back into the guild, the irc leaks were days later, the plan was to wait for "the heat" to die down.

The irony is that the "heat" outlived any real goon presence in archeage.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Babe Magnet posted:

yeah goon mmo drama owns

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

CoffeeBooze posted:

There was also some other dude claiming there was a conspiracy of the pedos to drive him out of the Star Citizens guild which results in lots of tears from him too. The AA drama really did raise the bar for goon guild drama.

This part I remember being part of the Fishing Pact debacle that went down. Someone in charge of leading pirate raids in the AA Goon Guild started a huge drama bomb when it turned out someone else had made a fishing pact that made it hard to find someone not protected. PVP Guy said "That's dumb," and kept at it. Fishing Pact Guy retaliated by getting PVP Guy kicked from Star Citizen for being a "Goonfucker," or something like that.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

The most hilarious thing is that the SC goon guild already somehow exists.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

CoffeeBooze posted:

Even its combat which was interesting at the time has been one upped by multiple other F2P games that arent dead and/or dying like BDO and B&S. There really isnt any compelling reason to play WS unless you are interested in dead MMO tourism which admittedly can be kind of interesting.

Having played a lot of GW2 (though pretty much exclusively elementalist) and also FF14, how do BDO and B&S compare to the two?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Shy posted:

The most hilarious thing is that the SC goon guild already somehow exists.

What I wouldn't give to return to the halcyon days of laughing over the spreadsheet of people who bought spaceship jpegs

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Babe Magnet posted:

yeah goon pvp mmo drama owns
ftfy

i am tim! posted:

This part I remember being part of the Fishing Pact debacle that went down. Someone in charge of leading pirate raids in the AA Goon Guild started a huge drama bomb when it turned out someone else had made a fishing pact that made it hard to find someone not protected. PVP Guy said "That's dumb," and kept at it. Fishing Pact Guy retaliated by getting PVP Guy kicked from Star Citizen for being a "Goonfucker," or something like that.

It was kismeus who wanted to kill the people that had fishing pacts with goons. And DBRB who got him banned(supposedly) from star citizen.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Truga posted:

Having played a lot of GW2 (though pretty much exclusively elementalist) and also FF14, how do BDO and B&S compare to the two?

BDO has way better combat and a lot of interesting systems, most of which are not that well implemented. It is a weird game with a lot going on and since it's f2p I recommend giving it a go. It's definitely pretty different. B&S felt like an MMO for fighting game fans to me which isn't necessarily a bad thing but aside from it's combat it felt kind of weak.

desudrive
Jan 10, 2010

Destroy All Memes
BDO is buy to play, albeit super cheap and it might as well be a free to play game.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

desudrive posted:

BDO is buy to play, albeit super cheap and it might as well be a free to play game.
Yeah, it's very obviously a f2p game that they put a box cost on just because they knew they could get away with it. Most people only play these games til the honeymoon is over so that's smart, even though I don't like it.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

CrashCat posted:

Yeah, it's very obviously a f2p game that they put a box cost on just because they knew they could get away with it. Most people only play these games til the honeymoon is over so that's smart, even though I don't like it.

BDO is literally a F2P game that the English version tacked a box cost onto.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

In AA news, trion is still loving people over with the new server merges (like telling people they had until aug 30 to make toons to port bound items, then locking character creation on the 16th woop woop. I still cant believe the consistency of their incompetence.

BDO, had too much going on. I'm sure if i stuck with it, or had a guild that knew what they were doing, but at the start there was no good ingame information as to what to do.

The combat was also a cluster gently caress of button pressing that was mostly meaningless, because there is no way im actually going to pay attention to the tutorials.

But the combat was actually fun.... (if you could hit the mob before some ranged mother fucker tagged your mob, which at launch wasnt happening with my ping)

B&S
similar combat to BDO but a lot tamer and easier to get into.
But it is pretty much your standard . go do quests, go kill this dungeon experiance.

I enjoyed the story, and stuck around long enough to get to max lvl, which then is really like lvl 1 of the hongmoon lvls.

Sort of got bored running the same dungeons over and over though.

B&S is more similar to GW2 in the pacing from my experience.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

MH Knights posted:

If I remember correctly the pedo/BFM was a massive poopsocker and could farm up a lot of mats/loot so the excuse was "he contributes to the guild!"

i rememeber about that, and i hope that bad things will happen to people who actually think that "plays videogame good" is a reason to ignore someone's history of child abuse

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
If you remember Invective from a few pages back, the Wildstar raiding guild gone to WoW that had some drama over members immediately ditching for better raids, apparently their guild blew up entirely a month ago.

https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/6lbyhf/did_invective_disband/

lol

RIP invective: 2017-2017, Did Not Finish

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

The people dishing dirt in that thread have some pretty funny stories of things being exactly like one would expect but somehow worse.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
somehow wildstar has not shut down yet. in fact, it had a "major update" in the past month!!

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/news/2017-08-24-homecoming-arrives-september-6/

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

I honestly had no clue this happened and I still read a few MMO news site/blog things. For something marketed as a major update to get this little coverage is pretty unusual even for a niche game like Wildstar is pretty unusual. I wonder how they managed to screw that up.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

It's mostly housing stuff so more cash grabbing, probably not worth even noting

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
How is this game (and thread) still going? :psyduck:

EDIT: I just took a look at the first page...

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

heat up a spoon over a fire and shove it up your urethra, cupcake

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

Unlike Battleborn there are enough whales paying/playing to keep Wildstar on life support. When your dev and support teams are like a dozen people combined and you only have a couple (?) servers left it only takes a couple dozen whales to keep the lights on.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Those must be some pretty big whales to keep even a handful of people employed. I think its more likely that NCSoft is accepting a loss on Wildstar in order to keep it open while Carbine works on a new IP. Why on earth they would give Carbine even more money is a pretty good question but hey its NCSoft the first Lineage has earned them more money than god so apparently they are just flushing that poo poo down the toilet at this point.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I assume the game is making enough money that there's no reason to shut it down. Maybe if another upcoming MMO needed servers or something then NCSoft would be quicker to pull the plug, but the genre's prospects are dead as hell right now so that isn't an issue. Also, most of their updates are just poo poo that was supposed to release on a monthly basis after launch, so they aren't actively making a ton of content and just polishing stuff that's been around for literal years at this point. I remember communities being discussed during launch.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Dick Trauma posted:

Ahahaa, I forgot I posted that. Pretty hardcore.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

CrashCat posted:

It's mostly housing stuff so more cash grabbing, probably not worth even noting

Housing was the best part of wildstar though.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Deki posted:

Housing was the best part of wildstar though.

If you want to play homes and gardens sketchup is free and the sims costs 10 dollars, both of which give you a more compelling experience.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Ahahaa, I forgot I posted that. Pretty hardcore.

Yeah I read that at like 2am and busted up laughing.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.

MH Knights posted:

Unlike Battleborn there are enough whales paying/playing to keep Wildstar on life support. When your dev and support teams are like a dozen people combined and you only have a couple (?) servers left it only takes a couple dozen whales to keep the lights on.

If Champions Online can keep limping along on a steady diet of halfassed lockboxes and nothing else, I'm sure this game can as well.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
In what world are the Sims games ten bucks? That poo poo's like train simulator and the base games are super incomplete without at least the more significant expansions. But if you just want solid housing go play ESO they even have a pretty good game around that or even loving Rift where they... well they tried at some point. Don't really play Rift though.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

ESO's housing is ok. You can get a tiny free apartment, save up a ton of gold to get a small house or whale to get things like manors or private beaches with bungalows.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Morglon posted:

In what world are the Sims games ten bucks? That poo poo's like train simulator and the base games are super incomplete without at least the more significant expansions. But if you just want solid housing go play ESO they even have a pretty good game around that or even loving Rift where they... well they tried at some point. Don't really play Rift though.

https://isthereanydeal.com/search/?q=the+sims+3+complete#/page:game/price?plain=simsiiibundle

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Ew that's a wrong sims.
ESO housing is interesting in theory but I don't know how much time and money I have to spend to get anything cool. My housing in ESO is a small dark unventilated room with a candle and a fireplace. Welcome!

Shy fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Sep 30, 2017

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Shy posted:

Ew that's a wrong sims.
ESO housing is interesting in theory but I don't know how much time and money I have to spend to get anything cool. My housing in ESO is a small dark unventilated room with a candle and a fireplace. Welcome!

Same until I crafted a bearskin rug and left it hovering a few feet off the ground.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Shy posted:

Ew that's a wrong sims.

Actually Sims 4 is the only wrong Sims.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Yeah the starter houses are crap, they're mostly just used for free ports but you don't need to get the crown only private island or what have you to get something good. Even some of the small actual houses are pretty drat nice and you can do a lot with the big or even medium houses. The huge gently caress you mansion I bought cost a little over a million gold which doesn't even get that long to get and it's one of the nicer ones with its own private waterfall and lake for swimming. There are guilds who have weekly contest around building amazing things with houses, I've seen someone build amusement park rides or obstacle courses in theirs so there's a lot you can do if you want to.

I admit things do get a bit pricey especially if you want some of the limited run furniture or the rare pieces but if you're in the goon guild someone can usually hook you up for cheap with whatever you want. Granted the system is still more limited than Rift but it's fairly solid on its own if you get into it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
There was a discussion about EQ2 (maybe it was in June) and I'm going to say I really liked it. That might be because I went from UO to Dark Age of Camelot to Shadowbane and then to EQ2 though and I played on the PvP servers.

The best thing about it for me was taunts working in PvP. And having a proper community even though it was faction based. There's something that's much more fun to me about killing Orgetorix the lunatic French monk instead of a host of faceless people you're not going to see from game to game.
I wish other games that "focus on PvP" like Guild Wars did it in a way more like the other games I've mentioned instead of more boring faceless stuff.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Minrad posted:

If you remember Invective from a few pages back, the Wildstar raiding guild gone to WoW that had some drama over members immediately ditching for better raids, apparently their guild blew up entirely a month ago.

https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/6lbyhf/did_invective_disband/

lol

RIP invective: 2017-2017, Did Not Finish

Oh god thank you for this post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Babe Magnet posted:

yeah goon mmo drama owns

This is the only reason to pay for / play a MMO at launch with goons. The ROI in laughs is pretty stellar.

• Locked thread