Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Mike "raiding for raiders" Donatelli just left carbine, which begs the question of why he was still there and which game he'll gently caress up next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Imagine you're one of the people who put mark kern in charge of a video game.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
There's a lot of directions they could have taken things. They could have made it easy 40 mans like the original molten core and made it a relaxed slightly grindy experience like vanilla wow, they could have made things freeform with open plan dungeons and a lot of exploring and silly poo poo, they could have made things mega-difficult but cut raid sizes and reduced any friction between you and smashing your face against the cupcakehardcore difficulty. Instead we got TBC with Cata Heroic Raid difficulty & vanilla raid sizes/attunements. Like frankenstein's monster, it is stitched together from corpses of better things and everyone just wishes it would go away.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Solution: collapse all endgame currencies to elder gems, eliminate the elder gem weekly cap, boost dungeon & adventure XP significantly, make the socket rerollers & extra socket items buyable with elder gems, make good runes buyable with elder gems.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Like making all end-game currency stuff for both PVE and PVP come from XP that you can earn doing anything was such a great idea, one of the biggest disappointments was that they backed off of it

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

CoffeeBooze posted:

"Welfare epics are for casuals and this isnt a casual game"

Naturally the guy who was asked to explain why poo poo landed the way it did w/r/t elder gems was Mike "Raiding For Raiders" Donatelli who basically went "CAN YOU IMAGINE IF YOU COULD BUY MIDRANGE PVP GEAR BY SAVING ELDER GEMS YOU GOT FROM RAIDING?! CHAOS!!"

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Rhymenoserous posted:

I always feel like being the heckler in the house whenever someone pines for CoH. It was developed by Cryptic which is like the king of the shovelware MMO developers, the game wasn't that good. I'd go so far as to say that literally the only thing worth a poo poo about CoH was the customization, because gameplay was janky as hell (Because again, cryptic).

It's like when I start whining about SWG NGE experience. I know drat well that it was kind of a meh game but the age it was released in was full of "Meh" games.

Cryptic gave a talk at gdc after champions released explaining that they wrote their own database from scratch and that was a really smart idea and everyone should do it because SQL doesn't work for games. I still wanted to work on games at the time so I got to hear both the bewildered and worried questions from the onlookers and some premium shade from a MySQL guy at a conference a month later

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

General Maximus posted:

This sounds like a story I want to hear the full version of. If nothing else it might explain why all the current Cryptic games have a half second lag on just about everything ever when no other game does.

I don't have much more to offer except a video of the talk: https://channel9.msdn.com/Blogs/Dan/Shannon-Posniewski-SQL-Considered-Harmful-for-MMOs

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Oh hey there's a blog post from 2011 where he asks people not to watch the talk and tries to piggyback on the bourgeoning nosql trend while bragging about his "nosql" db being acid.

http://foamtotem.org/2011/20110617_9_034818.html

quote:

Database Admins were not amused by my thesis that relational databases weren't a great choice for game data such as ours. They said that all the problems I pointed out could be solved by carefully-planned schemas, server-side procedures, and subtle tweaking of the parameters of MS-SQL. They were probably correct, but that wasn't the point. The point is that we didn't want to do any of those things.

quote:

It worked out well.

quote:

everything works, but sometimes had awful performance characteristics.

quote:

The magic seemed really cool until we kept getting hit with the performance issues.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
There are likely more people playing time lock eq servers than wildstar.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Kelp Plankton posted:

Marvel's MMO came out, it's called Marvel Heroes and it abandoned the generic MMO formula in favor of a Diablo style multiplayer game where you play as Marvel characters. It actually had (still has?) some CoH people working on it.

There's something like 60 distinct character classes in it now and they're basically all viable. It's not make-your-own-hero stuff but Marvel never wanted that. Even Cryptic's Marvel game was "play as marvel characters". That was never going to be a thing.

I guess Marvel's MMO came out while CoH was still running and was called Marvel Ultimate Alliance. Who knew?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Destiny is the best mmo to come out in years and isn't one. Quasi MMOs are the future

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
It's got cool raids, easy dungeons, chilled out grinds, public events, more legendary quest lines than wow has ever had, story quests until level cap, something to do every day if you want to. It also does a better job of keeping old content functional and relevant and giving things a sense of place while making jumping into content convenient.

Face it, you can have all the upsides of MMOs without the downsides, unless you care a lot about having >5 other random nobodies you won't talk to on screen at a time for some reason.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Yeah I only started with Taken King and I've met very few people who played destiny at launch who are willing to even think about playing it again. On the one hand it's sad because it's a good game now but on the other hand maybe someone at activision will take a look at an excel spreadsheet and say "maybe we should.... finish... games...?"

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
They were also never able to make the one single house not run like poo poo

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
i think the smart thing would be to put fun things to do in your game

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
as opposed to wildstar,

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Discussed upgrade, but at least they didn't write their own db from scratch for coh and spend the entire life of the game attempting to justify it to other developers.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Didn't they, like every mmo, shut down years after they stopped sharing data?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

darkhand posted:

Has anyone even tried to have UI mods on par with WoW (which it's had since vanilla)? WoW has all kinds of crazy tech now adays that make it extremely accessible, which is really pretty much mandatory after the first 3 months or whatever of MMO launching. Atleast as far as linear progression RPGs go

there were a lot of good UI mods after launch, I doubt anyone's developing for it anymore though

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

John Dyne posted:

Wasn't this the plan from like Cata forward, but they've just sucked at it? I know WoD was part of the "fewer patches, more expansions" plan.

They succeeded at half the formula so I don't see how you can get too upset.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I'd be willing to buy many of NCSoft's properties. I can't say that the offer would be reasonable but I can say I'd be the high bidder.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

The Moon Monster posted:

The poo poo thing about the MOBA adventure was that you could beat it really quickly and easily, but the only way to get a gold rating, which was the only way to get worthwhile loot, was to intentionally stall for like ten minutes so you could grind kills on the enemy heroes and wait for the bonus objectives to pop up. Some of the bonus objectives were really easy, but others were like "kill enemy X within 2 minutes" and unless you knew where the enemy was right then you might not even be able to find it in two minutes. There were also a few like "capture a control point" or "kill a boss" so you couldn't do those things while stalling or else you might not have any to complete if they popped up as an objective.

I don't think it'd pop up uncompletable objectives, it's just that those objectives were consistently completable in the time limit so you wanted them to be in the pool of missions to up your chances of success. By the way, this adventure dropped the best in slot weapon for tank stalkers but only if you gold medalled it. And then they "fixed" medals to reduce LFG friction.

When it launched, you'd get some garbage for completing the mission, blues if you silver medalled, and purples (frequently BiS pre-raid, especially since dungeon boss drops were consistently garbage) if you gold-medalled. Actually, let me go back. So before you raided, you needed to do two things. Get gold medal loot from adventures and get attuned by silvering dungeons. There were a smattering of drops in dungeons but despite dungeons being balls-hard, the drops there were not consistently better than gold-medalling adventures (which wasn't hard but required people you knew, generally). You could get gear that good by gold-medalling dungeons, but the consensus was that doing so required insane coordination, because you had to do secondary objectives (bronze), complete it in a time limit (silver), and nobody was allowed to die (gold). You could buy purple gear with elder gems, but all currency gear was gated behind achievements, most of which were for things like killing raid bosses and gold medalling dungeons or whatever. There was one piece of gear per achievement, total, so your spec probably had like 2 or 3 pieces on the vendor and 2 of them were almost certainly garbage. I think I'm remembering this right.

So anyway, the result is that you only need to run each adventure once to attune, the bronze gear is trash, but the gold gear is stuff everybody needs. So like half the adventure LFG queue at any one time had no reason to be there other than to gold medal. Everyone else was either totally ungeared & just trying to get blues, just rolling through it to clear the attunement step, or RPers who are just trying to unwind. These groups quickly grew to hate each other. The ungeared folks probably didn't even know what all was required for golding (most of these adventures had a series of extremely specific steps in order to consistently gold that the game didn't surface AT ALL- sometimes they'd put what happens next to a vote, and if the vote didn't select the exact right option, gold medalling was off the table and two party members would bail). This was even better in the one motorcycle gang adventure & malgrave trail because there were some pieces of gear that dropped from bosses who you would only encounter if the party voted for a particular series of options that were ENTIRELY DIFFERENT from the correct ones if you wanted a gold medal.

So you throw 5 people with extremely different, mutually-exclusive agendas into a queue together and what happens? So carbine's plan for dealing with this was the following:
A) End-of-adventure rewards can now drop anything, including gold medal rewards and a % chance for a random boss drop from earlier in the dungeon. I think they hosed up & this couldn't include boss drops from bosses you didn't encounter lol
B) You get MORE end-of-adventure rewards the higher you rate.

The idea being that if things don't go your way you'll say "eh gently caress it" and finish it anyway with a minimum of drama so you can pull the slot bar. That mostly worked. The problem was that singular BiS gold medal drops became as rare and precious as a baby covered in diamonds because your chance of getting the one thing you wanted dropped loving substantially. And it wasn't great before because each adventure had like 10 gold medal rewards that could drop, and someone could always end up with it instead of you. Queue our stalker tank probably running 50 or 60 of that goddamn moba adventure, seeing the weapon twice, and always having the tanking weapon go to some rando stalker dps. Why did we have randos? Somewhere around 20 or 30 runs he couldn't find hardly anyone in our guild to run it with because gently caress that place.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
idk what you guys are talking about, including taxes, benefits, rent, and lights, that's enough to pay up to 2.5 software engineers, if you underpay them!

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Wild stars action bar system was actually really good if your class got a good designer. changing your abilities between fights to put together the right combo of dps and utility, figuring out what you needed for a boss and could do without to make room, changing your damage build entirely to glyph into a slow or something based on who was in your party was really really good.

Shame about everyone who wasn't a spell slinger though.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Deki posted:

I'd be rather shocked if Nexon grossed anything from Wildstar...

Yeah but their net is 0 which puts them miles ahead of anyone who actually worked on it.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Some interrupt rotations were really bad to hit and interrupt armor made them worse- shockwave on the robot in kel vorath, final boss in kel vorath, optional boss in dragon dungeon, final boss of skullcano. I could have really done without those having interrupt armor. Generally, I think things would be better if interrupt armor regenned 15s after the damage being was applied, or something, so the actual speed-coordination wasn't a thing.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Does RIFT count as a failed MMO?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Only knowing FFXIV's housing, how does Wildstar's work?

Like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPwbUmyX-1U

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Whitevale crossed the following 3 boundaries during leveling simultaneously and suffered in various ways:

- First faction PVP zone
- First zone where mounts are available
- Crossed the level 25 (22?) barrier where some key abilities open up

As a result, plus wildstar's consistent problem of having a misshapen advancement curve w/r/t enemy power vs. player power, the first couple of levels of whitevale have brutal killer enemies, camping enemy faction, and huge-rear end travel time without a mount, specifically around the first neutral village. About halfway through, the zone opens up that faction camping isn't easy, you get a mount, I believe, and you level up enough that you're dunking on monsters instead of the other way around. But the first 2-3 levels of whitevale take like 2-3 hours because of how hosed up it is, and a lot of people bailed at that specific spot.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Wow has a multi stage ability triggering system that ensures your character starts animating immediately for a more responsive feeling, and includes its perception of things like server ping in its ability queueing system. It's shockingly intricate and the assumptions if people who work on MMOs without a few hundred hours of wow is it ought to be simple, which is why most MMOs feel like rear end.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
The only thing worse than "bring back grinds" is "bring back grinds, but toned down to minor inconvenience"

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Em Ater

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Seemed like they were never able to find a way to monetize, mark kern wasted their investor money on frivolities like trying to start a pop star gamer girl group (including paying for expensive music production & promotional videos) and the infamous bus. They went so insane with expensive promotional stuff that I remember the live giantbombcast at GDC of all places joking that they were transmitting live from the firefall booth, because we all live in the firefall booth now, the entire world is just one giant firefall booth.

If they had a non-insane human at the helm, they probably could have used their runway to make things work. They had a seed of a really good idea when it first went into open beta, a decent open world PVE sandbox shooter with enough random human beings in the open world, and plans for open pvp areas, and territory control for both pvp and pve (I think it'd just be like instanced guild areas), some SWG-like crafting, but somewhat simpler & with the confusing edges sanded off. It was a decent, casual time. But then they started trying increasingly desperate things to monetize it, the game got really bad, and then they ended up selling to a chinese company & they made it even worse.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Mark Kern spent firefall funds making this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NarbqFTrXbE

EDIT: Acutally read this https://www.techinasia.com/firefall-mark-kern-sacked-the9-story

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
The whole point of high-end raiding is that it's barely possible to complete in the previous tier's BiS, but only theoretically. So the race is about figuring out how to complete it using as few pieces of this tier's gear as possible.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Holyshoot posted:

it's even worse now. These people on top of raiding 60 hours a week for 2 weeks are also keeping 4-6 alts near raid ready for class stacking. So gone are the days of "we just hammered this boss for a week or two straight now we get to raid 2 hours a week for the next 6 months". Now its "ok we just played a poo poo load for two weeks. Time to keep up that crazy play time to make sure my alts are geared as well".

I'd say world first raiders prior to the lock out change probably raided/played less then your avg 20 hour a week guild. But now that is definitely not the case with all the alts and mythic+ they have to run during their down time.

idk whether this is the case now but back in cataclysm some top-tier raider hung out in the blizzard subforum, and said getting alts geared wasn't a big thing. They'd raid 3 hours twice a week after the race was over, resulting in two full completions per week. Over the course of 6 months everybody gets the gear they need for all their alts. The point of farm night was to do the thing so you'd be ready for next tier & get everyone back to their real lives as efficiently as possible.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Except stuff has been released since the great migration and it also is terrible.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
He continued to play with the dude after everything went down and they were like talking about how to parachute account the pedo back into the guild after a few months, their chat logs in some random Eve irc were leaked or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Also something about wool

• Locked thread