Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

my god, no part of this is not a trainwreck

gently caress y'all quitters, I'm riding this poo poo all the way to the impact at the bottom of the ravine, why the hell would you get off now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

For stuff like this, sure, whatever, they're just sourcing a news article about a report Daewoo Securities released which include the published financials of NCSoft for the year that just passed. I still find a few of the numbers voodoo - I'd like to know just what Lineage 1 is doing to continue fostering growth of that sort in Korea, and barring things getting disastrous, the NA response to BnS should see that number go up a decent bit - but the trend for Wildstar is dire, and I simply don't see it getting to that 0 result at the end of this year, especially with Daewoo publishing the report publicly. NCSoft is going to be under a lot of investor pressure to just cut the loss machine loose.

Honestly, I'm a little surprised it hasn't happened already. This company's NA branch doesn't really have a history of tolerating failure. (edit: that's not harshing on Cyster or anyone honestly trying to turn this thing around, btw, NCSoft just really does have A History with its western partner devs and being uniquely intolerant of poor performance or perceived poor performance from these studios' games)

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jan 23, 2016

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Archonex posted:

If they brought CoH back and somehow managed to resume development NCSoft would probably make a ton of cash. I know a few people who are still pissed that game was shut down. I don't quite get it, but it's apparent that game was like virtual crack to some people.

Last page, but part of it for me personally is how it was handled - it was This loving Industry at its worst. Paragon Studios was just truckin' along with patch development, including what were shaping up to be some really meaty, attractive updates that might've even segued into a new expansion, and then the axe just came down mid-development with no warning or indication at all (rather nearby to a holiday, too, if memory still serves). The game was even in the black - not by very much, not really showing huge numbers for ~the investors~, but it was producing profit and keeping people employed and players happy.

The CoH shutdown was terribly handled, and yeah, I do still nurse a bit of a grudge over it. If nothing else, I can never quite forgive being that lovely to your developers/employees.

quote:

That they supposedly used part of the CoH servers to host Wildstar just adds hilarity on top of this mess.

Admittedly, this doesn't help.

Also, hope you're keepin' on, Cyster. Still want to see the housing system of this game go into something better.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Lineage 1 revenue is still crazy. How old is that game now?

Older than Warcraft by a fair margin. It's still basically the national MMO of Korea and has a ton of pure cultural inertia behind it. so it probably still has a ton of life left in it.

What I didn't expect was for the BnS English launch to bring in that much dosh, god drat. Be curious to see how it does for the rest of the year.

Glad to hear you're still okay, Cyster. Can you talk about what kind of plans you guys have for content and the like going forward? I can't imagine the game staff is very big at this point, so that's gotta limit what can be done.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

CoH1 would've been too old to sell well by this point, at least without a game-wide graphical overhaul that would've been CoH2 basically.

Though if someone isn't working on what Champions was originally supposed to be - a true CoH-like Marvel MMO - then Marvel is utterly clueless.

Also, I still hope the future holds good things for you, Cyster. :ohdear:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

StuG Jeebus posted:

Is there even a chance that will happen? Don't toy with me like that.

To add on to the "nah" of this: if nothing else, there's the hurdle of the fact that the CoH client is now four years old (sidenote: good christ). Windows 8 had just come out when CoH shuttered; today I'm sure there'd be all sorts of little compatibility issues with Win8 and Win10 due to how those OSes are built. There would be a non-trivial amount of QA required to make them go live in a proper state.

CoH really isn't coming back. It burns my biscuits and I hope all those Paragon dudes have landed okay at this point, but at this point CoH is dead and gone.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Mayor McCheese posted:

As much as I like FFXIV, it has a god awful costume mechanic that requires reagents with the gear, in a game with limited inventory. Easily the worse I've come across.

They really need to update those systems.

The problem is, it's something they didn't consider in their initial design. They're good folk over there but they still miss out on larger movements in the industry sometimes.

So the system is a bolted-on thing that simply has a piece of gear get altered to reference another mesh. Actually having a WS-style glam slot system would require a hell of a lot of work (tho now that they're off the PS3, it's conceivable they have the client resources for it).

CoffeeBooze posted:

Also doesnt Chris Roberts still have some kind of ownership of the Wing Commander IP? Hes claimed repeatedly that various residuals from Wing Commander are how hes been able to afford some of the more outrageous stuff hes bought lately like that Pacific Palisades mansion of his. Wing Commander was a bit before my time, I know it was a huge hit but I really cant imagine it made as much money as he claims. Video games were just so much more niche back then.

Wing 3 and Wing 4 both sold seven figures even back in the 90s, and the earlier Wing Commanders also sold high.

I would've thought the rights fully belonged to EA, but I guess he still sees some of that dosh. But no it's like Garriott and Ultima - for how much they cost to make, the Wing games were absurdly successful.

Ciaphas posted:

Didn't occur to me that this was doing double duty as a general discussion thread. Been fun going through the last few pages, between the Wildstar-making GBS threads and other discussions.

I'm burnt out on FFXIV right now but I'm broken brained enough to want something else to do, and I've been looking at TESO and Tree of Savior. God save me. :(

I make sure to pace myself so I'm not totally blown out on XIV - I want to be able to enjoy Stormblood, after all. :v:

I am a little tempted to take a peek at TESO while it's free - if nothing else, I'm curious about how their constant attempts to save it have gone.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 12, 2017

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Last I remember looking at it it was actually one of the best ones I can think of in recent memory. You just paid to add the item to your collection and it was there forever. You get 10 costume slots that apply whatever appearance (or just setting yourself naked) and you don't have to constantly reapply appearances over new gear like WoW or GW2.

Yes, WS's wardrobe system was another one of those "secondary quality of life" systems that they completely nailed - like a lot of other things not related to the HARDCORE RAID FOCUS that the leads were so grognardy about but realized they might want to do, they lucked into finding some competent folks to implement it and it got done. It was pretty much what a wardrobe system should be in the 2010s.

Pretty much the story of Wildstar - the folks working on "secondary" systems were obviously massively talented, but it all got dragged down by an insistence on a core game loop design that was a decade out of date and was never that popular to begin with.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Welp, this just got posted.

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/news/2017-04-13-state-of-the-universe/

It's... well, I'll refer you to Chairman's post a little while back. Moore's managing to be impressively upbeat about it, at least.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Kenby posted:

Including both the regular client and Steam, they are supposedly down to 800 people on average.

Jesus. Jumpgate limped along with 100 people for a long time but that was a totally different era and a totally different budget. That the game's ended up with so few people is... I want to say "mind blowing" but no, it's perfectly understandable. I just still didn't imagine it'd get that bad before NCSoft pulled the plug.

At this point I have to figure that someone remaining at Carbine is friends with NCSoft management or said management somehow sees keeping the game going as part of the marketing for MxM, because there's no real justification otherwise for the game servers remaining up.

edit: holy gently caress, the reddit is so slow that posts submitted a week ago, with less than 10 comments, remain on the front page :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Crumpet posted:

Always remember that CoH was killed at least in part to enable this shitpile to exist.

Believe me, that is a fact I will never be able to forget

• Locked thread