Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Booya posted:

People feel this exact same way about almost every MMO that has ever been released. The only Wildstar that could have been really good is the Wildstar that existed in the minds of people who bought into everything all the marketing hype team said, same as every other MMO. Every single loving game that comes out now says that poo poo about skill based combat and some fantastic new quest system and player houses, and nothing about Wildstar pre release was really fundamentally different from other MMO hype aside from saying it was gonna be like vanilla WoW, which is something almost nobody actually wants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Al Borland posted:

We're the abused spouse in a video game relationship.
Not gonna lie... after seeing all the recent praise for the Wildstar F2P relaunch in this very thread, I was extremely tempted to make a post asking how many thread posters were in abusive relationships irl. Actually, I guess I just did!

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Fried Sushi posted:

The worst (or best depending on your perspective) thing about Wildstar is it basically killed the future for AAA Western MMO's. After the failures of AOC, and WAR and the poor launches of SWTOR and ESO. Wildstar's massive failure was the final nail in the AAA MMO coffin. I don't think any big Western studio is working on any new MMO's. Blizzard even killed their MMO project. So thanks for that Carbine, now we have 300 early access survival games taking their place.
I think the tide has shifted toward keeping preexisting MMOs running, which is somehow even more onerous. It makes sense though, as developing and launching a MMO is the toughest part by far. Why bother when you can rake in the cash by propping up a MMO from over a decade ago with a skeleton crew?

Also, in Blizzard's defense, they scrapped Titan at least once, remade it entirely, and it STILL wasn't good. I might not always agree with their decisions, but they definitely know when to ditch a prototype because it just isn't fun.

Amante fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jun 28, 2016

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

TheFonz posted:

I am thinking of playing an MMO again. Is this a bad game?
Very. If you're hankering for a MMO, play just about anything else.

Mayor McCheese posted:

I found Bear Shamans in Age of Conan healing to be the most entertaining, while healing in Warhammer was easily the best improvement on an archaic system. Wish more MMOs tried to make those classes more interesting.
Assault Rifle Leech Healing in The Secret World is the most fun I've ever had healing/supporting, and I wish there were more builds like it in other MMOs. It was especially fun when you were the only healer in a dungeon group, because then it became a MMO version of Speed: DPS fast and hard or the bus explodes and everyone dies!

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

I've tried to like Rift from the very beginning, but it never gelled in the way it should have. It's a shame, because it had a lot of individually interesting or good things (artifact system and overall exploration, rifts, soul/class system, certain dungeons). Still doesn't matter if you can't make it come together in a way that works, and things have only gotten worse since then.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

darkhand posted:

Warhammer online had the disciple and he was like a battle priest that could Dual Wield!!! for some reason??? He'd heal you when he did damage to enemies
WAR's Zealot was an interesting healer. You could cast this raven mark on enemy targets called the Harbinger of Doom. Various support/healing effects would key off it, like healing your defensive target for a percentage of the damage you did. It also didn't require LoS a lot of the time, which led to some hilarious moments in PvP.

On that note, I've never had a more enjoyable healing experience than The Secret World's AR Leech Healing build. The playstyle was basically "DPS harder or the group wipes!", which was loads of fun if you're more of a DPSer at heart like I am. You could even outdamage normal DPS if you did it right :)

Amante fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jan 20, 2017

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Byolante posted:

Imo people view wow as something polite people don't talk about enjoying, like anime or having a bat. FF14 people are the weebs who explain why madoka isn't actually paedo bait to you at a party.
you had me until "weebs at a party"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

onesixtwo posted:

These were a lot of the same people obsessed with Earth and Beyond. I think I just realized the internet friends I made as a teenager all had terrible tastes, and here I am posting in the wildstar thread about lovely MMOs I've played since then. This does not bode well for me..
Earth & Beyond was awesome. Died before its time, RIP Westwood

Amante fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 29, 2017

• Locked thread