Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

whoops lol hope you didn't want to make a dude on the pve server (you shouldn't) (don't play wildstar)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Black Baby Goku posted:

sword_man come back to IZ, where you belong

i'm the trash man, i eat garbage

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
has anyone said mildstar yet

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
r/wildstar has been deleting negativity for a long time. it's just jealous trolls after all

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Harrow posted:

uh excuse me have you heard that gw2 will now have raiding and is now objectively the best of all video games

did you

let me tell you about it

i heard the raids were lovely and the ui was bad but then i was reassured that they had 20 days till launch which is "a ton of time" in game development

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Monomythian posted:

If you said Final Fantasy would somehow relaunch itself and go on to beat WoW in terms of sub numbers and content releases they would have considered you a crazy person and yet here we are.

ffxiv isn't even close to wow's sub numbers no matter how bad it's gotten. the most optimistic for xiv is 800k, the most pessimistic for wow is 3m

Monomythian posted:

Will HFC break the record?

no. there's not enough time. hfc came out end of june and legion will be september at latest, probably pushed out no matter how done it is end june/beginning july to coincide with the movie

it is worth noting that for it's nearly two year run wod had a single big content patch. 6.1 absolutely does not count as a major content patch because the biggest feature in it was native integration to automatically tweet your achivements.

sword_man.gif fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 13, 2016

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Monomythian posted:

I'm being super dumb and wrong a lot today, I think this is the right one. (399 days)

yeah, siege was 15 months long, s'why i say there just aint enough time for hfc to beat it out. trust me. i'd remember. i was counting.

and i'd take another 15 months of siege rather than the absolute poo poo garbage that was wod.

Monomythian posted:

Oh yeah I see it now, ffxiv is being reported as 5 million activated subscriptions, which is just another way of saying sold copies, not active subscriptions.

xiv's never released the sub numbers and blizzard just recently stopped (because wow was tanking so hard and it looked bad, i guarantee you if subs were up 500k they'd be singing about it), the last hard numbers for wow was at 5m ish, and the best people can do for xiv numbers is trawl the lodestone and see how many characters have gotten achivements since it's a game with no real incentive to have two characters.

hence most optimistic/most pessimistic

sword_man.gif fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Feb 15, 2016

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Wrist Watch posted:

Also, I don't think it was mentioned yet, but in this game about ~hardcore~ raiding there was a bug where guild leaders lost their attunement progress and the dev response was "we can't do anything, make a new character and restart the the weeks-long attunement process I guess"

hey now, they did give compensation

a 10% exp boost

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
wow does the invisible gm thing too but it's to watch world first guilds for exploits in encounters/hotfix the buggy-rear end encounters they don't put on the ptr because "it would ruin the surprise"

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

noELrunes posted:

Someone called out timetravel on this and he back pedaled so hard

no he didn't, he posted a sarcastic "thanks for the feedback"

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
warhammer died because they had literally no idea what balance was

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

don't forget to read the part where they went "uhhh actually it's not ten million, dunno where they got that, eh heh heh heh" *tugs collar*

quote:

Update: Blizzard has issued a statement denying that Tom Chilton provided the 10.1 million subscriber number to the magazine. "This was a misquote, or some kind of misunderstanding on the part of the journalist," a rep said. "Our policy for almost a year now is that we do not talk about subscriber numbers, and Tom did not do that with this publication."

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

the weird thing for maplestory is they've got a server now where you can't spend money on this kind of thing, no trading between players and the cash shop cubes are bought with mesos. which is bizarre as hell for a kmmo.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Harrow posted:

The one thing I thought was cool about Rift was how it handled the WoW-style talent trees. Only four classes, but each one had like 12 talent trees each that you could mix and match in groups of three, and every class could do at least two of the "tank/healer/DPS" roles. It was really cool and I enjoyed how you could sorta freeform create classes by mixing the talent trees you used. I have no idea how that turned out in the endgame because Rift being basically WoW but less fun made me stop playing by level 20 or so, but it was at least a neat concept.

neat concept until you get to endgame and realize that your special snowflake build has no place in a dungeon or raid when it's doing 20-40% less damage than a properly specced build

nowadays they've just tripled down and if you don't just pick every single talent in your primary tree You Are Stupid because the ability you get for 61 points in a tree always makes the spec really work

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Dockworker posted:

I also remember the "correct" way to play most specs was to have 3-5 giant macros that used the excessive number of abilities each talent tree gave you. Unlike in WoW, the macro system was really permissive.

This had the side effect of causing the game to be nearly unplayable without said macros.

yes, classes like cleric especially, you just had one big castsequence macro you pressed over and over for max dps

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

30.5 Days posted:

He continued to play with the dude after everything went down and they were like talking about how to parachute account the pedo back into the guild after a few months, their chat logs in some random Eve irc were leaked or something

it didn't take months. it was days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
also several of the egregrious lunatics truly believed it was an imp zone/sa moderator conspiracy to make the (non existent) imp zone guild the Official Something Awful Guild by gassing the thread and putting the, again, completely false guild in the op and everybody who brought up the pedophile thing was Virtue Signaling and only wanted those sweet, sweet guild experience points or what the gently caress ever was the benefit

• Locked thread