Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Stanley Pain posted:

Spent the day trolling true believers. 10/10 Would zone chat again. I was constantly called a complainer because I would point out bugs, bugs that have existed and have been documented since 2014. I love these people.

This has been pretty entertaining. I spent the last 20 minutes in the Exile newbie zone and chat consists of two type of people. People complaining about lag, and people telling them to shut up because they are idiots and Carbine had no way of knowing that they could expect this many people to play.

You can pretty readily tell who is giving the game a go due to the f2p relaunch, and who has been playing a long while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Stanley Pain posted:

The hostility towards this game is VERY well deserved though.

I think a lot of the hostility is directed more towards the developer than the game itself. WIldstar actually had the potential to be a fairly good game, but the just absolute incredible level of both incompetence and bluster on the part of Carbine's leadership has dragged the game down at every corner. On top of that, the absolutely moronic community that surrounds the game is good for some cheap laughs too.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

What happened to the MEGASERVER™

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Wait, so was their population really so low that they just consolidated all of the population down to one server of each type and called it a megaserver? Holy poo poo, if so that is so, so loving bad.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Tokaii was a pretty cool dude, he was as far as I am aware the oldest goon on the forums. I forget how old he was exactly, but it was over 70. He also posted some interesting threads discussing his time working as a cop in Chicago in which he was very honest about the type of corruption that went back on then, he was pretty well regarded.

Then his dick broke and he went crazy and tried to claim that some poo poo heel from Eve was not a pedo, got banned, and then despite everyone trying to talk him off the ledge he had crawled out onto had a very public melt down leading to a BANME and everyone wondering if it was the broke dick that drove him crazy or if he had been like that all along. There was also some poo poo about a dumpster fire of a video game that isnt worth mentioning.

So, basically about what you would expect.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Dolphin Fetus posted:

I just made a cat man with dragon ears who's an esper. This game is the opposite of every non-WoW mmo I've played. Usually my complaint with them is that it feels like someone poured molasses all over my character after coming from WoW (GW2, FFXIV) but drat..my character runs like he's on amphetamines.

The game actually seems kind of cool, I really dig the style and look. I haven't actually started participating in the gameplay though but its a shame the game is supposedly as bad as it is because it seems kinda neat so far.

edit - now my keybinds stopped working and I keep getting annoying pop up messages mid combat from npcs :|

The game has some very good ideas that are actually well implemented. The way your character feels really responsive like in WoW, the combat system, ability system, art style and music are all pretty good. A lot of the components for a very solid game are there. The problem is it all bogs down when you start encountering the stubborn grognard style of end game design, a substantial number of bugs that never seem to get addressed, and a management team that seems to be utterly incapable of dealing with it all. Oh, and what little remains of the community is as bottom of the barrel as it gets.

Maybe some of this has changed with the f2p relaunch, but based on how it has gone so far I doubt it. When a development house has management issues it seems like it is almost impossible for anything to improve.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

They seem to be constantly pulling down the servers for unplanned maintenance to fix bugs that arent necessarily game breaking. How the gently caress have they not just setup a daily maintenance window at 5AM every day for the next week or so? As far as I can tell this is to fix a bug with the daily login bonus prompt popping up repeatedly, while this is annoying it isn't something that most organizations would bring servers down for.

As a former IT worker who has worked for companies with utterly incompetent management, this whole relaunch has been very triggering.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

That would explain a lot, and that is really, really freaking bad. It seems like any time you find yourself in a situation where you are constantly patching with limited testing and constantly restarting servers it is only a matter of time before the servers go down and dont come back up. Knowing Carbine, it is a small miracle they have made it this far.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Is Twitch really the place for the lead software guy to be right now?

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Arthil posted:

Yeah as much as you guys like to poke fun, you're kidding yourselves if you'd think the entire team isn't running around trying to desperately fix things.

I am starting to get the feeling that they have found themselves in a hole, and are digging as fast as possible to get themselves out of it.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Anoia posted:

Presented without comment: https://twitter.com/CRB_Buiden

That man has the haircut of a white supremacist spree shooter specializing in churches.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

LordSaturn posted:

Congratulations, Wildstar Thread, you're the toilet of the MMO HMO.

So what else is new?

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

The games PvP is legit fun. It is a shame they made an utter mess of it.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Anoia posted:

Then WildStar rushed a major content drop to coincide with WoW's expansion and that introduced that gardening plot duping bug that shattered the economy.

It is not like their previous content drops hadnt been absolute disasters as well. I dont know if many people remember, but Carbine had initially promised monthly content patches. At first they did actually deliver on this but every drop included a slew of game breaking bugs. These bugs were being introduced at a game at a rate far faster than they were being fixed so by the time Carbine gave up on the monthly content drop promise most of the games player base were pretty happy about it.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Dandywalken posted:

Is there any site explaining or detailing how Wildstar crashed so horribly post-launch? I always hear annecdotes about the devs purposefully over tuning poo poo to delay progression in the past plus ridiculous attunement requirements near endgame

I really wish some kind of long form article or tell all book on the subject would get published. Wildstar seems like such an interesting mixture of hubris, incompetence and a fairly well crafted marketing campaign.

Of course, that will never happen since this is the video game industry and as long as everyone involved with this mess keeps their mouths shut they will fail upwards. Quite a few top level developers have already been hired by the likes of Blizzard.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

The Chairman posted:

There really isn't one single place where everything suddenly becomes unplayably bad. It's more like steadily heaping indignities onto you once you get into the neutral zones -- the zones themselves get more generic and more annoying to traverse, combat starts to take longer because everything becomes an HP sponge, the game throws the lovely, ultra-grimdark and serious "The Strain" plot at you and loses its mild sense of humor. All the worthwhile setting and theme aspects of the game disappear and all that's left is annoying combat in gray and purple deserts.

So, basically, Whitevale?

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

You becoming a mod of that mad house is one of the best thing to happen to this thread.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Turtle Sandbox posted:

I don't mean the company, just whether they got any ROI on their investment of wildstar or if F2P is their last try to get anything at all out of the game.

How long did NCSoft fund development of Wildstar? It was something like nine years, wasnt it?

Considering how Wildstar has been barely breaking even, if not losing money for the past year I doubt NCSoft will ever see the game actually return a profit. At this point NCSoft is probably hoping to at least get some of their money back.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Cronodoculous posted:

I won a mouse from their little twitter contest, a full month later and I still haven't gotten it. Or received any further emails from them. Or been responded to when I asked them about it on twitter. I'm starting to think there were never any prizes to begin with.

Well, this is a special kind of lovely. I always figured Carbine for the incompetent kind of lovely. Not the Molyneux style "gently caress the little people" style of poo poo.

You should post about it on Reddit because I want to see the people there fall all over themselves to defend this.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

There are still people on the Wildstar subreddit screaming "THOSE ARE JUST ESTIMATES". Its pretty incredible to see that this far into this disaster.

Oh, and Franbunny didnt have her name legally changed. She just has mail shipped to her home using that name.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

noELrunes posted:

This is the end for a whole genre to me.

I'm not sure this kind of hyperbole is really warranted. I agree with a fair but if what you are saying, but I think you are failing to acknowledge how Carbines totally inability to manage the game is responsible for so much of Wildtars failure. For fucks sake, they botched launching the same game twice.

Also how is B&S shaping up?

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Oh wow, I totally fell for that. I should have known better, no one actually plays Wildstar in the Wildstar thread(or in general).

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

That is pretty much how the game is. Did you see many other people running around the newbie area?

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

I dont think anyone posting in this thread is familiar with WoW's flex raiding setup.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

The Chairman posted:

Timetravel no longer works at Carbine. The healing can begin.

Did he get hired by Blizzard too?

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

I was curious if there was any entertaining dirt on TT getting poo poo canned so I checked the thread in r/wildstar. It was full of people practically grieving over the dude. There really is something wrong with these people

The last time I saw him get called out for being lovely to his player base he got incredibly apologetic. I wonder if someone at Carbine actually realized he was part of the game's problem and had put him on notice. I'm not going to go asking current employees to comment of course.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Well, at least this dumpster fire has just about finished burning itself out. It was funny for a while but it is just sad watching the inevitable wave after wave of layoffs.

Someone on Reddit pointed out that Carbine has existed for 11 years as of next month. 11 loving years and all they have been able to produce is Wildstar. That is pretty remarkable.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

I dont think the f2p model is what failed Wildstar. I think botching the games launch for a second time is what did it.

A lot of people were willing to give Wildstar a second chance when it went f2p. Even in this thread a fair number of people installed the game to give it a go. The absolute disaster they made of that launch was probably the last nail in the game's proverbial coffin.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

I dont know which would be worse, being a laid off or being kept onboard with the few remaining staff who have to do the jobs of two or three people to keep bailing water on that particular sinking ship. At least you have time to search for a new job when you are collecting unemployment.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Did timetravel meltdown when he heard they were transitioning away from raids? I'm half guessing he turned down an opportunity to work on the dungeons team because they weren't hardcore enough.+

A screenshot of him apologizing for acting like an rear end on Reddit was posted a while back after he got called out for it. Maybe it had dawned on him that he was part of the game's problem? Who knows, but it seemed like he had eaten some humble pie for one reason or another. it makes me curious what the backstory on him getting shitcanned is since it seemed to happen separately from the layoff.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

I guess you haven't heard the bad news about EQ Next. It's more like EQ, Not at this point.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

The Steam release is where the goal posts for "event that will save the game" reside these days. Despite that it seems like what little of the games fan base is left have accepted the inevitable after the recent layoffs.

Watching Wildstar fail was entertaining when the grognards responsible for its poor design were still running the show. Now all the top level management grognards have moved on to more prestigious and higher paying positions, people without connections like Timetravel have been laid off, and all thats left is a sad shell of a game with a despairing playerbase and some already overworked employees trying to keep the ship from sinking. Its just depressing at this point and a sad reminder of how hosed up the games industry is. Hopefully NCSoft will humanely pull the plug on this mess sooner than later.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Seeing this post inspired me to fire up Reddit and see who r/Wildstar is doing these days. One of the most recent posts is a player census using the /who tool. Total number of sub max level characters logged on Saturday evening? 900. Ouch.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Wildstar had the best housing system I have ever seen in an MMO, or even most single player games for that matter. Carbine's inability to leverage it to get more players in the door is just another example of how much of a boondoggle the game is. Some of the game's designers were quite clearly very good at what they did, but management's idiotic focus on HARDCORE RAIDING just let that stuff wither on the vine. Instead housing was relegated to an easy way too farm trade skill materials and little else. A few housing items already dropped in five mans. It couldnt have been that hard to add more housing items that dropped doing PvE and PvP content as an incentive to do stuff then some kind of system where players vote for "best house" and other awards.

Its just another example of how Wildstar had some pretty solid potential that was squandered by poor management.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

I see Olivar finally stopped posting in character as a Chua. I cant say Im surprised that he still comes across as an rear end despite having dropped that particular act.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Pope Mobile posted:

I was very drunk last week and decided to see what this game was like now that it's F2P. After launching the game, I was met with the authenticator screen. Said authenticator was paired with a phone I haven't had in forever. After a quick search, it's way too much effort to remove the authentication from an account.
It's as if the game itself was telling me not to play.

Sorry Cupcake, but clearly youre not hardcore enough for Wildstar.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

It looks like r/wildstar is continuing its player survey. I have no clue how accurate this is because I am not going to take the time to look at their methods but what they are finding is pretty dire.

r/wildstar posted:

50,244 unique characters between all server/faction combos have logged in in the past week..

Id be amazed if that was equivalent to 20,000 active accounts. For a free to play game that needs a large player base in order to keep people buying this cant be good.

Of course the player base seems to think this is a good sign for the game's health.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Theyve made some improvements but it was too little too late.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Thats how most MMOs go these days. They dont really die, they just limp along on life support eeking out a profit as the game's owner hopes to recoup at least some of their investment. I really doesnt seem to take many players to do basic stuff like keep the lights on.

If you want to actually try to develop new content and grow the game though, that is a very different situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

The last quarterly report got a pretty realistic response from the Wildstar crowd, I was surprised. I think a lot of them have moved past the denial stage of grief.

• Locked thread