Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

What a bunch of cupcakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

They aren't very optimistic in that forcast. gently caress wildstar though so it adds up.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

I'm just still mad Wildstar almost certainly killed Project HON and definitely got Blade and Soul delayed 3 years.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

CoffeeBooze posted:

I'm not sure this kind of hyperbole is really warranted. I agree with a fair but if what you are saying, but I think you are failing to acknowledge how Carbines totally inability to manage the game is responsible for so much of Wildtars failure. For fucks sake, they botched launching the same game twice.

Also how is B&S shaping up?

I think B&S is a ton of fun with an actually engaging actiony combat system that makes you play the game. Could get old and stale but it's free and I think decent.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Rexicon1 posted:

I'm gonna guess that investment firms have at least ballpark numbers for this kind of thing.

I'd have more confidence in a bank analysis than ncsoft saying it will be fine anyway.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

FrostyPox posted:

So if it's released, you think Star Citizen will flop harder than Wildstar? Cuz Wildstar sure seems to have loving cratered hard, considering the hype before it was released.

I haven't been following Star Citizen at all but I figured it'd be a shitshow from the beginning.

Was there really hype for Wildstar? It was pushed heavily with ad campaigns but I don't remember people actually being excited for it.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Wasn't the china release going to save wildstar even though it was totally fine and not dead and dying at all.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

They are if you aren't a fuckin CUPCAKE. :smug:

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

No the wildstar players can fester in it. If not for wildstar failing hard after the tera debacle we could have gotten Project HON. :colbert:

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

CoffeeBooze posted:

Seeing this post inspired me to fire up Reddit and see who r/Wildstar is doing these days. One of the most recent posts is a player census using the /who tool. Total number of sub max level characters logged on Saturday evening? 900. Ouch.

You left out the best part which is the reply.

quote:

I remember that, but data can change, don't remember if it was roughly the same or not.
But I got exile numbers :)
860 players leveling certainly isn't bad, and people say most people play at 50, so why dont we add 60% to that
1376 50s...
We add those up, and we get...2236 players online at prime time (as an estimate, no proof as I guestimated the 50s) which is higher than say...RIFTS numbers on STEAM.

Of course let's just add an arbitrary 60% to that and make up some more numbers and then say it's great!

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Arcland posted:

It seems a bit wierd to shut off an mmo still in the black. While yes you can allocate those funds elsewhere, mmos are really about permanence and that really seems to show that they have no care for that.

I think the danger of a CoH shutdown is always there. It's a good thing wildstar isn't owned by a company that would shut down an mmo making money like city of heroes.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

MoreLikeTen posted:

what a lovely metaphor

Umm you mean A+ analogy!

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

gently caress that poo poo just revive Project HON. Thats all I want NCsoft...

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Unguided posted:

Probably Dune.

Dune doesn't start on Arrakis.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

They could format them and put city of heroes back up and make more money at the rate Wildstar is going.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

DancingShade posted:

You say that but looking at the financials Wildstar is making so little money (it rounds off to a zero) that arguably just having a skeleton team doing maintenance and paying for bandwidth is actually still costing NCSoft more than a complete write off.

Well look at how hard they were pitching wildstar anyway. I think there is definitely some logic behind assuming that they don't want to write it off completely because of how hard they did push it.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Yeah well I heard that someone is totally looking to buy the coh liscence and put the game back out and all the servers will come back too with your character.

Someone on a forum said so once.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

Yep. Richard went to space as an advertisement for the game, and then while he was in quarantine NCSoft released an open statement claiming that he "resigned". He didn't.

He sued them and won $28 million dollars though, so hey.

I loved their attempt at saying that he signed his rights off while he was in space. And he said no I didn't because I was in space.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Babe Magnet posted:

discovering poo poo in Age of Wushu was rad as hell, it took us forever to realize that you can raise your relationship with various NPCs so everyone immediately rushed to max our relationship with an NPC named Wang Dong or something like that

Please.

It was Dongfang making GBS threads.

The lord of House Dong.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

All four people who pay attention to wildstar must have felt real tricked.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Wildstar's development wasn't cheap. It only became cheap when it came out and belly flopped down to joke status. And besides if it wasn't for wildstar we probably would still have city of heroes and likely project hon wouldn't have been canned to save money.

So yeah gently caress wildstar. It's not worth defending.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

CoffeeBooze posted:

The relaunch of The Secret World looks promising. Once it comes out you should consider giving it a look as well.

It's gonna be f2p so trying it out will be quite easy too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

I think someone at NCSoft just has a colossal boner for Wildstar. They shut down so many projects for this but it trundles on.

• Locked thread