Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Oh boy, a half-assed sphere grid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Again, why the hell are they doing poo poo like this instead of putting player spaceships in the game and selling them? Star Citizen proved you don't even need a coherent plan when you start taking preorders.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Mostly nothing because it's still not done.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

D&D Online is still alive and producing content somehow. It's even had two expansions and a third is on the way.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

It was more a miscarriage.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Speaking of WoW, how is it doing? Has the luster faded from the latest expansion?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Byolante posted:

Back in the good old days AMD hardware was better than nvidia/intel so it got done first

Heard they might be getting their poo poo together with the new Ryzen series CPUs, which is good because there needs to be an affordable alternative to Intel again.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

They're busy making Overwatch and Hearthstone cash now.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Minrad posted:

Different scale of updates. Blizzard patch updates generally revolve around raids that have 10-15 bosses and all of which will have brand new art assets, and as a rule of thumb they have decided not to re use zone and art assets to make new dungeons in patches because ???? after doing it once in Cataclysm, which would be an easy way to add frequent smaller content to the game the way FFXIV does. 14's raid updates are all 4-5 bosses, and by the end of 2.0 and 3.0 they had two raids of ~12 encounters, a total number that Legion has already topped since releasing with at least 1 more major raid planned (likely two). Not to mention they have things like flex scaling and 4! tiers of difficult which makes it take longer to design encounters, compared to 14's raids and trials frequently only having two difficulties.

14 also has a different design philosophy for bosses, where the challenge usually comes from the boss re-using another boss's gimmick in an interesting way by combining it with another often used gimmick. Adding new 'gimmicks' is somewhat infrequent, the last major one I can think of would be the stacking meteor gimmick they first introduced with... Sepiroth? that's become a part of practically every other boss in the expansion since then. This makes them easier to design since everything is done piecemeal, whereas Blizzard tries to come up with brand new gimmicks and if they re-use an old gimmick they make up new spell effects and indicators etc. There was a good analysis by FF14's boss design by a Blizzard raid developer somewhere where he says he really likes the fights and finds their piecemeal approach interesting for training players to get better over time and easily adding depth to fights without needing to spend so much time developing new boss gimmicks.

Is WoW's raiding more common among casual players now than it was back in Lich King?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Don't say you weren't warned.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I had to slog through Vanilla content back when I picked WoW up for Wrath, so I can safely say those people are idiots.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Pierson posted:

The idea of mystery is a powerful one and a lot of people chase it rather than everything being known and datamined months in advance. Back in classic it was often a lot easier to rely on the community not just for dungeons and raids but for even just basic knowledge. Like yeah there was Allakazam or whatever for EW/WoW but that UI and and content was pretty bad/spotty, nowhere near as comprehensive or easy as wowhead is these days.

Also a ton of other reasons but chasing that old newness is a pretty big one for people like me who bounced through most MMOs before realising there was nothing special about them, they were just another genre, and settling down with the ones I enjoyed.

That's part of why I liked Age of Wushu so much, early on it was obtuse and full of secrets that were difficult to discover since all the info was in Chinese.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

randombattle posted:

Please.

It was Dongfang making GBS threads.

The lord of House Dong.

Dongfang Shiting, and he wasn't the head of the Dongfangs. He was our mascot though.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

CoffeeBooze posted:

Nah, people have known Molyneux was a hack since the first Black and White released. The problem is there really is a sucker born every second and a whole lot of them are super into video games.

Molyneux coasted by on his fame as an innovative game dev because his dev cycles were long enough everyone forgot his games were bad and didn't meet the expectations he set and they only remembered the hype surrounding him. Same for David Cage.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

CoffeeBooze posted:

ESO is pretty much a well done open world roamer at this point. If you enjoy questing its the MMO to play.

Yeah, I'm playing it during the free week and it seems ok. Basically the end result if MMOs had kept following the Everquest model.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Truga posted:

Overworld content is kinda not popular.

Can't imagine why no one wants to wade through a sea of endless trash just to get to the content they actually care about, preferring to fly over it when possible.

Ad by Khad posted:

The least-bad Final Fantasy game made since 1994 is for loving cellphones

You can call the MMO genre dead all you want, but I'm gonna instead insist it is Final Fantasy that is dead

Please put some effort into your trolling.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Except for Overwatch fans, they're everywhere.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Has the joke been made so often it's become an actual belief?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I thought it was in a litter box and the original poopsocking thing was from a completely unrelated story about a poo poo collection fetishist.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Checked SAclopedia, the old posts say the original poopsocker was unrelated to MMOs.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=431

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

RottenK posted:

don't be sad, i think everyone will agree that that was the best post in this entire thread

The "Wildstar is shutting down" post will be even better.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The thing I like about DDO is the relatively low pressure tactics they have for their cash shop and how they give out a lot of freebies to dedicated players. It actually incentivises purchases because the game is set up so I'm already having fun without spending tons of money and I'm open to even more content some time in the future when I next want to play and have $10 to spare.

Neverwinter is dull. I've never made it to endgame despite logging back in to try and play my character every few years. That browser game they had with the NPC companions was kind of neat but not enough to hold my interest in playing the actual game to level up their rarity for harder dungeons.

Fun fact: Cryptic's chat system is separate from its games and if you get kicked from a player channel in one game you can rejoin in another.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Christopher posted:

There hasn't been much actual chat about this game in the forums recently. Are goons playing this? Do we have a guild? Is it worth trying? I played this at launch and enjoyed it a lot but ended up being pulled into another game and heard a bunch of drama and sort of watched it fail through different news outlets. I've recently seen quite a few youtube videos with lots of views and positive ratings saying that the game is much better/more healthy now. Thoughts?

No. No. No. Don't bother playing, every now and then a goon will try playing and get bored.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Only if you've got unlimited bandwidth.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

We should get in on that, get sponsors for goon guilds.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Kelp Plankton posted:

I mean this already is out and has city of heroes and guild wars characters in it too

I barely played CoH during a free trial and even I'm insulted by the MOBA.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Minecraft/Dwarf Fortress clones. There's nearly a decade worth of them at this point (aside from ancient precursors to the genre like UnReal World) yet people keep buying, thinking maybe the next one will be what they want.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

It's almost been two years since this thread was posted and Mildstar is somehow still going.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

ESO's housing is ok. You can get a tiny free apartment, save up a ton of gold to get a small house or whale to get things like manors or private beaches with bungalows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Shy posted:

Ew that's a wrong sims.
ESO housing is interesting in theory but I don't know how much time and money I have to spend to get anything cool. My housing in ESO is a small dark unventilated room with a candle and a fireplace. Welcome!

Same until I crafted a bearskin rug and left it hovering a few feet off the ground.

• Locked thread