Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
I zoned out how's the fishing pact doing these days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

CoffeeBooze posted:

This has been pretty entertaining. I spent the last 20 minutes in the Exile newbie zone and chat consists of two type of people. People complaining about lag, and people telling them to shut up because they are idiots and Carbine had no way of knowing that they could expect this many people to play.

You can pretty readily tell who is giving the game a go due to the f2p relaunch, and who has been playing a long while.

To be fair they probably didn't expect people to actually be stupid enough to fall for it.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

blablablabla posted:

Why even touch the game other to bitch about its hilarious incompetence?

I pretty much dismissed it at launch, hurting someone's feelings in the process and as long as it's free there's no harm in checking it out. I can see why people who did pay for it would be pissed but having satisfied my curiosity I can again dismiss it as something that just doesn't interest me at all and move on.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Kimsemus posted:

So what's the story behind this? Because we got our AA pedo banned forever.

And then some.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
The Megaserver is just everybody's phones connected to an old netbook with a broken screen they bought on ebay.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Minsky posted:

That leadership script was my favorite part of Neverwinter and I'm sad it's gone.

It was the only thing making the game playable, you can't keep up with anything without having buttloads of diamonds or dropping cash. Cryptic is currently busy loving up all of their remaining things though.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Good. Bad. It didn't even happen in America.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Rhymenoserous posted:

Or any cryptic game which goons seem to eat up despite them being almost universally awful.

Cryptic games at least have an identity, there's redeeming qualities going on. Dressing up your character is really fun and there are other good things in those poo poo piles somewhere. Star Trek was at least decent for a while before it went completely to poo poo and Champions had the potential to be pretty good even before they killed it. No excuse for Neverwinter though, that game has always been a grind with a broken economy and all their bullshit has spread to the other games and made them worse for it.

Also no making GBS threads on Secret World please, that game is really unique and does well to build a world you can get lost in, the big problem is it shouldn't have been an MMO.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

John Dyne posted:

One of the images that came up on GIS is a girl with a Final Fantasy sword on a motorcycle in weird anime thong armor that covers the shoulders and arms more than the torso and the camera is right up her rear end.

That summarizes Scarlet Blade pretty well.

I have no idea how it plays but the aesthetic is the kind of thing where you imagine everyone is just sitting idle in the main city in a massive, half-naked anime girl lump, and you don't want your imagination to go any further than that. The character models are actually sort of creepy on some level to me; I think it's the doll-like faces they have. They just seem so lifeless in screenshots.

It's just a bog standard grinder, not much more to it.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Rhymenoserous posted:

I enjoyed the Secret World for its atmosphere. The actual game bits were pretty bad though.

They had a combat overhaul a while back but it didn't really help all that much. Game's good enough to tolerate bad combat mechanics though, it has many things it's really good at was sort of my point.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Honestly I don't care what goes on between two consenting adults or one consenting adult and a body pillow but that means I really don't care. Keep that poo poo to yourself please. And from what I hear it's the same in Japan, they make it easy to get all that poo poo but they also don't want you to broadcast it.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Gordong Dongbay posted:

Anyone who thinks ESO is bad hasn't played it since beta.

And anybody who thinks it's worse than Wildstar needs to have their brain examined.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Arivia posted:

Wildstar doesn't have Xean, so worse trolling and better players.

STO doesn't have Xean anymore either.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
That doesn't even cover the people who do work as cooks or whatever and don't even know the verb "to marinade". Much like proven by Wildstar over and over again, the fact that somebody hired you to do something does not mean you are able to actually do it and even if you are that you are good at it.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
It works on water immersion ruined. Also what is it with all the games just giving out hoverboards lately?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
It's probably one of my favorite movies but come on, that's just dumb.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Skyforge is alright, they made some really bad decisions like not releasing everything they had in Russia right away, not changing blatantly pay to win events from the Russian version like they promised to right away and released some costumes for three to five times the fake cash it costs in Russia because "people in the west make more money". They are fixing some of this but that still doesn't change the fact that end game is standing around shouting for a group that may very well disband within five minutes and that it's grindy as gently caress. Still beats Vindictus though.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Yeah but you have to grind that up and eventually gear up to do anything interesting instead of allowing you to switch when you want with one click and also it's Nexon and everything is expensive as gently caress, just for one character and probably a rental too. Skyforge wins for not having rentals at all, at least in my opinion.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

hit button posted:

Minorkos I agree your post was terrible, mainly because it falls into the common trap of assuming there is some platonic ideal form of mmorpg, instead of just understanding the pretty basic concept that different people like different stuff.

I mean you're saying you want Dark Souls as an MMO which is cool, and personally I agree with a lot of your personal taste, but its in the same thread where you had a bunch of people bitching because the levelling content in wildstar actually meant looking at the screen and occasionally reacting to poo poo.

Look at you showing restraint and stopping just short of calling everybody in the thread cupcake.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
STO isn't gonna die, not completely that is. They can just fart out a new mission every other month and a lock box and they can Weekend at Bernie's that poo poo for years.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Rhymenoserous posted:

It'll have to wait till I'm not at work.

And yes. It's borderline unplayable as F2P.

It is certainly possible to play all the single player stuff as a free player but that's really stretching it. It gets pretty tolerable once you throw in like 40 bucks for the worst poo poo and buy the expansions on top, especially if you're just in it for the story and don't give a poo poo about the dumb rail shooter or doing dungeons for gear the game now almost vomits at you anyway. Granted, that's still a really hard sale and if you want to do anything other than that you have to subscribe, worst of all the seriously draconian credit cap that locks you out of the economy and even some stuff that it tells you are free because you can buy them for credits but you can't hold that amount unless you're subscribed anyway.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Add on top of that that everything in the cash shop you might want is obnoxiously expensive, your inventory is way too small and while there is a wardrobe system to store extra costumes, some of which you will need to rep certain factions to get certain rewards it's only available to subscribers and even tough I'm told there are other ways to get access to it I haven't been able to find that information yet.

But yeah, it's mainly the upgrade thing. You see, most of the gear you wear is gear you get early on in your quest line, you feed it other weapons in case of the weapon or rings/earrings/necklace if it's a ring/earring/necklace. Then at certain points you have to feed it a specific thing to progress and those things are either dungeon drops you have to bid against your party to get or world boss drops. Oh the world boss drops. You go fight the world boss, get a number of tokens between two and five and then you feed those to an RNG wheel that has a chance to give you the thing you want or an outfit or a soul shield box which kind of acts like armor but it has eight pieces and doesn't affect your look. If you're after the weapon, you have a chance to get an RNG box which again, only comes with a chance of actually giving you the weapon you need and it's locked so you're grinding for money to buy keys or doing quests to get keys or just go to the cash shop to buy keys and you're not even done yet because you still have to unseal the weapon or piece of gear so you can actually use it which is done with another item you have to buy from an NPC but thankfully everything has fixed stats so it's only a money sink not another RNG hidden beneath more RNG.

It's just loving tedious.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

iuvian posted:

If you want to play it now would be the time, I doubt it will be around for long.

I am pretty sure you can't run a MMO with less than a thousand paying customers for long.

Firefall has been doing it for years but they seem to be on the way out right now.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Even when it spikes it earns gently caress all compared to everything else they have. And it's still only around half of what it brought in the year before that's always a good sign.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Usually when you're making an MMO you don't really want to listen to the people who are the most vocal, this has lead to making Black Desert even more super loving grindy for example. But no other game is Wildstar and they really need to get their poo poo together, running with their vision has clearly not worked.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Anoia posted:

gently caress someone invoked FFXIV again. :negative:

It's slightly better than the alternative I'm not gonna name because I know better.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
It's one of those rare game that completely rubs me the wrong way, even if I could get past one aspect I dislike there's a thousand other things that put me off. It's like many other things goons hype up to no end, at some point you've been burned so much you just tell them to gently caress off when they're trying to get you into something they're all excited about.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Truga posted:

I have fun in FF14. Characters don't look as terrible as in wow, the music is even better and it's fun to play scholar. Anyway, that's why I play.

Also, story is OK. Better than any other MMO story I played, though that's obviously not saying much. Wish they redid the 1-50 quests though, parts of it are supershit filler that could easily be just chopped out and nobody would notice.

If you want to play an MMO for the story go pick up The Secret World right the gently caress now and lose yourself in the world. That is if you're even remotely interested in the setting, if that doesn't do anything for you there's no point.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Luckily it gets good again after Egypt and I wouldn't even call that part terrible. It's just more sand than you ever needed. Tokyo is interesting too but dragged down by AEGIS.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Differo Cathedra posted:

The world design is nice but the combat is so tedious that I tried multiple builds to make it more interesting but they're all just different flavors of boring to me. There is also the fact that it has that old MMO problem of fewer people are currently playing this game than originally planned for so there's a shitload of trash mobs everywhere. Secret World and SWTOR would both be better as single player games removed from all the MMO trappings.

They did a combat and mob density overhaul fairly recently so it's much better. Combat is still not really good but now that they've actually unified currencies it's so much easier to get good gear and you could be decked out in basic purps by the time you finish Solomon Island if you really wanted to.

I agree though, it would've made an amazing single player game.

Edit: It's a complete non issue to change your build though at any point in the game. You can just start putting points in other areas to get a basic workable build in anything, inner ring stuff is super cheap and by the time you get into the expensive stuff you're pretty much branching out all over the place anyway since you're gonna need passives from different trees and those transfer. When I first started doing Nightmares with goons I picked up a skill I needed for a weapon I didn't put points into before and the weapon while doing those dungeons and if you don't want to do nightmares you're never gonna need a top tier build, even the basic decks they give you will do and at some point you just fill those for the outfits.

Morglon fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Feb 16, 2016

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
That's the completely realistic Newtonian physics engine Star Citizen uses. If Star Citizen says this is how physics work reality must be wrong.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Star Citizen is not about the game anymore. It's a complete experience with hilarious incompetence, casual racism, slap fights and a devotion that crosses over into full blown cult territory just to name a few things. A single post really can't do it justice and I highly recommend you seek out a Star Citizen scholar and get the highlights. I'm kind of surprised nobody made an actual wiki to chronicle all this poo poo, that seems to be what goons usually do for train wrecks. Even Doobie got one.

Edit: Also Star Citizen is out already. They claim they have crossed some line that means they have released a substantial enough product to stop issuing refunds. Not even kidding here.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Back before Wildstar launched I was with this guild when I got called to an officer meeting. Guild leader is super excited and asks me to guess what game they decided to play next. I told him if it was Wildstar I didn't give a poo poo and he seemed really hurt about that. Then we had a section of the forums just for Wildstar where that one guy was tasked to look into it and it had maybe 30 posts in total, most of them from that guy keeping people up to date on what the game would be like and poo poo and the occasional question about something he said. Then everybody understood nobody gave a poo poo about Wildstar and that part eventually disappeared and nobody talked about it anymore. Wildstar!

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Listening to feedback is for cupcakes, cupcake.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Mr. Neutron posted:

I knew that the tokens in EVE were physical items but I had no idea they could be destroyed :stare:

They can be but rarely are because you can transfer or remotely redeem them or whatever without carrying them on a ship. If you ever do load them in a ship and they get destroyed it's your own drat fault and happened because you're retarded.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
But if you don't finish your bowl of poo poo how do you know you won't like eating it?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

The Moon Monster posted:

I remember Vindictus had a ton of rental only outfits last time I played it (quite a while ago). Mostly lingerie IIRC.

Vindictus offers the option to rent or buy for all costume items. Of course the game is virtually dead these days.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Well a 700 percent increase is usually really impressive. Usually. When you increase from gently caress all to still not quite 3000 people which is still gently caress all for any MMO then it's really not. Gotta have some perspective there.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
I doubt it. I mean very few people play MMO for the story and it was a new IP without the draw of Star Wars and the reputation of Bioware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Fargin Icehole posted:

The endgame at launch was Orr, which was the main undead place. poo poo got real tiring after a few months though.

Oh please that poo poo got unbearable pretty much the second you started doing it. Enemies were designed to be as annoying as possible, that entire place was horrible and probably designed by someone who really wanted you to not waste your time on that game.

• Locked thread