Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hit button
Mar 18, 2012

KaneTW posted:

Good job deflecting the question but haha let's dogpile on the person liking 2D loli

KaneTW posted:

Yes? It's not real. It's literally a fictional creation, no one is hurt by it existing. I condemn actual real life pedo poo poo because it hurts people.

Verranicus posted:

Goons who randomly bring up pedogoons so they have something to get outraged over in unrelated threads are worse than pedogoons themselves.

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

Like I am totally down with the wildstar thread being a place where pedophiles are mocked because that is much better and funnier than continually stroking goons' weird hateboners about a mediocre mmo.

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

I wouldn't really call that particular thing broken either. IIRC there wasn't any way to obtain the ore except from other players mining it, so it wasn't like an infinite money faucet.

The really bad one I remember was being able to reprocess one of the vendor items (an implant I think) into poo poo that autosold for more than the cost of the implant.

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

Minorkos I agree your post was terrible, mainly because it falls into the common trap of assuming there is some platonic ideal form of mmorpg, instead of just understanding the pretty basic concept that different people like different stuff.

I mean you're saying you want Dark Souls as an MMO which is cool, and personally I agree with a lot of your personal taste, but its in the same thread where you had a bunch of people bitching because the levelling content in wildstar actually meant looking at the screen and occasionally reacting to poo poo.

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

Morglon posted:

Look at you showing restraint and stopping just short of calling everybody in the thread cupcake.
That was a pretty common complaint though? Which is cool, I get that sometimes people want unchallenging content especially if you resent the level-grinding aspect of mmorpgs. Different people like different stuff etc.

Holyshoot posted:

Curious, how many of you people who hate the way tab targeting combat is have done high end raiding in WoW and FFXIV and SWTOR? I agree that at its base level tab targeting and hitting a rotation is boring as poo poo but when you combine that with the super hard fights that only "hardcore" players typically see it's pretty fun.

I have raided the hard stuff in both WoW and FFXIV and I enjoy them both assuming you kill the boss in a reasonable rate. Or at least that moment when the boss dies it was worth the challenge.

You want a more complex combat system but I think the more complex it becomes then the less complex the bosses have to become otherwise no one is killing any boss. What were the super "hardcore" raids like in Tera if they had any? Since everyone loves their combat system.
I prefer non tab-targeted stuff, but not because its necessarily more complex. On the contrary its because I find "point and press ability" stuff like tera/wildstar less fiddly than trying to click on one particular mob model you're meant to be focusing.

Tera is way more focused on 5 man stuff than raids, but the mechanics are all pretty standard. Hit the right damagemans buttons and don't stand places where there is stuff that makes you die.

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

John Dyne posted:

...the combat is pretty fun; I can't remember if TERA felt like it controlled better or not but it does feel like it handles better than Neverwinter, at least.

Wildstar combat is very different to TERA. Both of them are non tab-target, but that's about where the similarity ends. TERA abilities are animation locked with hitboxes consistent to the character model, reminiscent of 3D beat-em-ups. Almost all the abilities in Wildstar can be used while still fully controlling the movement of your character, and character animations are just fluff rather than reflecting the actual hitbox (which is what the telegraphs are for).

I'm not especially advocating for one style over the other. TERA's system felt like it had a little more depth and potential for mastery, using your choice of ability to also control how your character is moving. Wildstar's complete freedom of movement was quite refreshing though, especially coming from Wow-like MMO's which so often force you to be entirely stationary while casting. Esper's notably didn't fit with that paradigm, which was the cause of a lot of complaints until they just gave them the same freedom of movement as other classes.

hit button fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Nov 22, 2015

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

Hey it's Merkal. He was the guy responsible for repeatedly screwed up medic dps rebalancing. Every patch would involve some huge class ability rework, which caused them to oscillate madly between woefully underpowered and unstoppable god-kings (depending on the particular nature of that patch's ability bugs). All they really needed to do was minor number tweaks. I checked back on the state of dps medic when it went F2P - a long time after he'd left - and it had turned it into an utter clusterfuck. You literally had to hold down one of your ability buttons 100% of the time while using all your other abilities. I'm guessing the problem was probably poor management rather than individual incompetence, so I feel sorry for Merkal for the amount of flak he got from the community as an individual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

Rhymenoserous posted:

Medics were chart toppers when I left. Slingers were still a bit of a mess w/a high complexity rotation.

When I last looked at the game the chart position wasn't the issue, it was how horribly awkward they'd managed to make the gameplay. I'm a veteran of horrible MMO control schemes, but that one really outshone them all with its finger-breaking majesty. Although I imagine it's most likely had several total reworks since then.

• Locked thread